Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

The podcast it mentions she is on, Skeptics Guide to the Universe, is very good by the way. I'm surprised it doesn't mention it on her wiki but she just one a major science educator award, from Neill Degrasse Tyson.

Well she did jut become an official member like a month or so ago. She was officially just a guest for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
So apparently Joe Webb is running again, this time as an independent.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
How to go as Jeb Bush for halloween, hmmmm, how to go as Jeb Bush for Halloween?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

hangedman1984 posted:

For now. Governor election is tomorrow and the popular democratic governor is being term-limited out. So...*crosses fingers*

Hahaha Bevin ain't winning and god help you if he does. He's not a republican, he's a tea party wackaloon who has advocated drug testing medicare recipients. He would make Brownback and Walker shudder.

(But please for the love of God get out and vote, I don't want Louisville to be a crater by the time I get there)

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 2, 2015

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Kim Davis.

Kentucky ain't as red as ye think. Mississippi is a forgotten hellhole, the only good things about it being that it inspired the location for In the Heat of the Night which was filmed in Georgia because Mississippi is a forgotten hellhole.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

He should have run an earlier campaign promising to create a time machine because then, when he was elected, it just would have happened.

Ah the Bill and Ted paradox, that'd be a hell of a campaign.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Chokes McGee posted:

Louisvillian here. I'm utterly terrified about the election tomorrow because literally no one I know is even aware of it. Conway's campaign did something really smart and posted huge "VOTE!" signs in the most liberal strongholds (I.e. Bardstown Rd), but otherwise, I got one reminder from the ground game and I'm not even 100% convinced it wasn't just some guy in the neighborhood and not a campaign volunteer.

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I hope people are right about Kentucky being demmycrat territory, but after the Kim Davis shitshow, I just don't know.

What I'm worried about is democrats are usually a bit more educated so they know about things like 538. 538 has lately really reinforced the idea that polls don't lie. However, that's largely only true at the federal level. States and locals tend to be screwier because there are a lot less data points. So will democrats stay at home knowing Conway has it in the bag? They had better loving not because the republican is literally worse than Walker/Brownback. I'm moving to Louisville soon, so don't gently caress me on this one Kentucky.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hahahaha what a goddamn shitshow.

About time. Here's how you do this:

- Trump demands the cut-off be 8% leaving the field occupied with only Cruz, Rubio, Carson, and himself.

- The network says no.

- Trump says fine, I won't show.

- On the night of the debate, Trump airs an hour-long infomercial on a competing channel about himself.

- When the ratings blow the debate out of the water, he destroys everyone in one fell swoop.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
My company was relocating me to Louisville next year. If Bevin stays ahead, I think I may just quit my job instead. Or I'll have to run for governor as long as I meet the residency requirements by the next election.

Kentucky is a beautiful state and I was really looking forward to living there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Does Kentucky have a recall option? Bevin did say he had no plans to kill the medicaid expansion, if people were dumb enough to fall for that but would be pissed off enough about him doing it, Kentucky could still be saved before too much damage is done.

The real pain is Kentucky isn't a very charter-y school state, this is going to change that dramatically.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

PupsOfWar posted:

Nope. Though based on the Wisconsin precedent I doubt it would matter anyway.

Perhaps Bevin can be held to one term like Fletcher was.

Kentucky isn't going to survive 4 years of tea party. I cannot wait until the senior citizens see they have to pee into a cup so Benevolent Leader Bevin can be sure they are not using the state's Glorious Funds for the drugs.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I hope HERO passes in Houston at least so I can spam Greg Abbot's twitter account with Hard Gay YouTube clips.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

Isn't Kynect incredibly popular because no one realizes it's part of Obamacare?

Doesn't matter. Bevin has said he will dismantle it and start drug testing medicare recipients. The latter should be impossible to achieve, but not without a couple court challenges.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

potato of destiny posted:

I also do not live in their district, and don't have kids, but nevertheless :byewhore:

Notable shittiness:
  • instituting a crappy "pay for performance" system for teachers
  • pushing students to quasi-private charter schools
  • hiding public meetings from the public in violation of state law
  • an attempt to "review" the new AP US History curriculum to make it "more patriotic" (read: founding fathers good, natives actually existing prior to glorious 'murrica bad. This one actually caused a mass student walkout)

They just got booted out of office by nearly 2:1 margins.

Interestingly, some pro-'reform' incumbents in Douglas County may also be losing their jobs tonight, which is interesting as DougCo, unlike JeffCo, is very much not a swing county and is usually reliably republican; it's mostly southern denver suburbs and rural types.

What are their Twitter accounts, I need to dance on their political graves to get out of this Kentucky funk.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think beshear enacted the expansion by executive order, so all be in has to do is strike that. Of course that's going to lead to a lot of bureaucracy elimination which is probably harder.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

Yo they just voted the guy in after he promised all that poo poo.

Except in the past few weeks he said he totally didn't mean any of it guys, that's all crazy talk I'd never do it. People are dumb enough to fall for that poo poo sometimes.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Active Shooter in San Diego, sounds like a guy trying to play sniper from the 6th floor of an apartment building, doesn't sound like he got anybody yet, SWAT seems to have him pinned down:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-San-Diego-Laurel-Gunshots-340219382.html

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahaha that shooter in San Diego is directly under a San Diego airport flight path so all arrivals are cancelled at the moment. One crazy dude with a rifle is going to really gently caress up everyone's day.

edit: His demands to the police are that he's tired of being disrespected and wants a flight to Australia.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pohl posted:

That explains why there are no planes flying over my head every 5 minutes. Living in the flight path sucks.

Hey all those old white people who were pissed about the changing flight path now have a solution: Just get out on your roof with a rifle.

Suspect is surrendering, throwing his guns out the window where of course they are firing rounds as they impact on the ground. This guy is a genius.

Shageletic posted:

Also, :siren:Lessig just quit the Democractic race:siren:

Yeah like a week ago dude :oldnews:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know why you think the GOP will die with old people. Meet the littlest xenophobe.

Eh, when I was a kid I thought Ross Perot was the bee's knees. Kids are dumb.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr Jaunts posted:

At a Q&A in New Hampshire today, Rubio was asked, "Who would you like to have a beer with who is not a politician?” His answer?

Malala Yousafzai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and noted Muslim teenager :lol:

No Rubio, that's an answer for the general not the primary! Marco? MARCOOOOOOO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHoS_C5Quc

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Kraft Heinz is firing 2500 workers in North America and moving their meat product (Oscar Mayer) HQ to Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-kraft-heinz-oscar-mayer-hq-1105-biz-20151104-story.html

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hey as long as we're having a little bit of San Diego in the national news, the deaf guy who ran down a bunch of zombie walkers at comic-con last year has been found guilty. Awww.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ogmius815 posted:

I wish I people would stop writing that unique Pennsylvanian word as "yinz". That doesn't really capture the phonetic nature of the word. It's more "you-ins".

I've always preferred Yins or Youns, I don't see why there has to be a z involved at all.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pillowpants posted:

So,

In my city I've been waging a completely fake over the top write in campaign to become dictator of the city. I've spent two months talking about making rivers run with chocolate, annexing surrounding towns, deciding leash law disputes with duels etc etc etc. while at the same time asking everyone to stop name calling each other. I've been doing this on all Facebook with photoshopped signs and long rants every few days.

Last night, this got me elected to the Housing Authority in my city and I came in second for Planning Board, and got 12 votes for city council.

Here's a fun thing to try: Always side with the tenants in housing disputes and see how much the landlords' group spends to run against you next time!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

JT Jag posted:

I think one potential way for the Democrats to make inroads in rural areas is to, as a party, be more religious. Frame their arguments on income inequality in the sense that it is 'Jesus-like' and how allowing widespread poverty goes against His teachings.

Basically, the Democrats gave up on the religious vote after Carter lost to Reagan, which I think was a mistake. Carter was the last Democrat to win over rural voters for a reason.

Fred Clark for President.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hahaha, literally what they did in the Soviet Union.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rollofthedice posted:

I like how everything about it is uniquely wrong.

Ben Carson hasn't announced a campaign song yet right?

Here ya go Ben, pour vous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24HbpvQXmo

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think you're being a pessimistic dumbass.

The House can't get any worse.

The 18 Senate map is only bad because we have a bunch of seats to defend, but most of them won't be *too* bad (and we'll likely gain seats this round)

Of those, Missouri, Montana and ND are the only ones I am really worried about. IN is prolly gone. But given:

We'll likely pick up at least 4-5 of those (NH, ILL, WIsconsin, PA, and FL) and then depending could also pick up maybe LA and NC if things went really well.

Which map is which here?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
ˆˆˆˆWe've had a black, a couple gay, and an atheist president. I think it's time for a mentally challenged one.

That Amesbury Facebook page is impossible to read, how the gently caress do people communicate on Facebook, at least Reddit has a sort by new function

edit: That sniper in San Diego is officially in custody 6 hours later, nobody's dead it appears.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Do we have an education/charter schools megathread someplace? I tried looking through the first 5 pages and didn't see anything.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Did you guys know that there's an official Jim Webb discussion forum?

http://jimwebbvote2016.com/#discussions.1

Ugh I have to be approved by a moderator, now I'll never be able to start a Coast to Coast AM thread and ask Jim where he stands on UFO sightings.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

quote:

Belmopan Bill, unfortunately, the account you registered on Jim Webb Discussion Forum did not meet membership requirements. Your account has been removed.

The following reason was given:

Must use a valid email address

Sorry.

Jim Webb Discussion Forum

Jim Webb apparently discriminates against .bz e-mail addresses. Jim Webb - bad for Belizeans, bad for America.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bribery made easy.

I'm sure this has been going on forever but they at least had the decency to hide it.

Bribery has officially gotten so loving lazy in this country, politicians on the take literally sign up for a joint bank account so the bribe-payers just need to write one cheque.

And we, the people who can see this poo poo for the blatant fuckery it is, are screwed because we don't have money to run a campaign against them because they get paid mega millions.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

quote:

"Why can’t West Virginia be known for some sort of crop or harvest, Justice asked, like Napa Valley is for wine? Why can’t we grow the world’s greatest tomatoes?""

He said he sees a “real possibility” of coal jobs coming back in large numbers.

But he also stressed the importance of a diversified economy and said he’d support President Barack Obama’s POWER Plus plan, a multi-billion dollar proposal — with little support in the Republican-led Congress — to help coalfield communities move toward new industries.

“I’d say take the money,” Justice said, before hedging. “Does that mean that we transition away from coal — you know, we say we’re going to move away from coal and everything? I think that’s a real mistake.”

Justice denies the scientific consensus that climate change is happening and is caused by human activity.

The democratic party 2015 people.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hey wait it's November 5, where's my KKK list anonymous.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

ah nice, as i expected

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Kitfox88 posted:

to be fair rabin's death was potentially the event that really kickstarted israel into being the horror it is today, since the dude agitated for peace and whatnot

I'd wager 90% of Americans think he was killed by a Palestinian too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

BabelFish posted:

Someone earlier pointed to this This American Life episode about the assassination. It's well done.

Uhhhhh, did this american life forget to renew their domain?

Here's some dude who stole it on his soundcloud while NPR figures out why the hell they didn't renew their website:

https://soundcloud.com/this-american-life/570-the-night-in-question?in=hayden-drescher/sets/this-american-life

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread