Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

How often did you and the group stumble over "Mister Mesmer"?

I ran the session over IRC, so "never".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

This looks cool so I'm posting it here as well as the kickstarter.
That looks pretty rad. I'd play it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

troll for dollars posted:

On Twitter Pelgrane said that the PDF goes on sale on the 9th.

Thanks!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am thinking that Wurm game might make a good mash up with HillFolk.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was putting old videogames I don't plan to play anytime soon in storage and remembered I bought the special edition of Two Worlds that came with a d20 conversion allowing you to play it in tabletop form. Everything really did get d20 back in those days didn't it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

AEG is excited to announce that we have entered into a deal with John Wick Presents to sell back the publication rights for the 7th Sea game line. AEG will still retain rights to publish a number of products within that line over the next few years and we are negotiating and planning what that will be but have no announcements at this time.

John Wick was part of the original AEG development crew and we created some awesome worlds together during our first 5 years of business but 7th Sea was his personal passion project and while it benefited from being published at AEG, it was his baby. This deal puts the world he loves back in his hands and gives AEG an opportunity to adventure once again on the high seas in one of the most beloved gaming worlds of the last 20 years.

John Zinser CEO of AEG is excited for JWP and AEG. "The world of 7th Sea is just too amazing to spend any more time sitting on a shelf and while a deal we announced a month or so ago for that other property we developed has gotten a lot of attention this deal has been in negotiation for much longer. It is just good Karma that 7th Sea end up back with it's creator. We are excited that we get to keep the part of the playground we do best and let JWP start to grow the brand again from the ground up."

"It's the game I get asked about most," John Wick (owner of JWP) said. "More than anything I've ever done. I'm very proud of the work that was done, but I'm also very excited to see the game rejuvenated with modern game design and technology."

"I'm very glad AEG is doing card and board games," John Wick said. "They've proven to be one of the best companies in the world when it comes to those kinds of games. I'm excited to see what they come up with."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If nothing else, it will mean a new edition of 7th Sea is made.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

John Wick Presents: American McGee's Drew Curtis' Fark.com

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

...A Spike Lee joint.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How often do you guys think John Wick makes the joke that the movie John Wick was loosely based on his life when introducing himself to people?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Covok posted:

How often do you guys think John Wick makes the joke that the movie John Wick was loosely based on his life when introducing himself to people?

Let's be fair; we'd all do that if they made a movie named precisely after ourselves.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Depends; do you mean my real name or my SA handle?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

If nothing else, it will mean a new edition of 7th Sea is made.

Will it? This is John Wick we're talking about.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Will it? This is John Wick we're talking about.
I eagerly await the literal years of Kickstarter drama that JW'a new edition of 7S is going to create.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

I eagerly await the literal years of Kickstarter drama that JW'a new edition of 7S is going to create.

I would possibly back it for just that reason.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Don't worry, he's guaranteed no filthy d20s.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
John Wick will come down with a terminal disease, which will be cured, but in an ironic twist, he will be immune to the cure.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What's the TRPG where I can have such a variety of skills?

Rolemaster, 2nd Edition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Rolemaster, 2nd Edition

Rolemaster 2nd Edition had a fairly tame skillset:

(if you didn't go hogwild on all of the other skills added by the various Rolemaster Companions)

It was Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying/Rolemaster Standard System that descended into parody:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

GURPS.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
To be fair, that second edition chart compresses a lot, because each individual weapon was actually a separate skill, it just used the costs assigned for the category. So if you wanted to learn, say, broadsword -and- bastard sword or whatever, that's two skills in the one-handed edged category, each with its own ranks. Each individual language was actually two- skills! One for speaking and one for reading/writing. Each spell list you wanted to learn was its own skill, there were about five separate adrenal moves skills, two martial skills - basically anything on that first chart with ** is actually anywhere from 2 to 2 dozen actual skills that you had to spend points on separately.

...on the other hand, IIRC the Death Trance Skill is RMSS is actually just literally the skill to will yourself to die with your brain and if you failed the roll you just went into a coma or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair, that second edition chart compresses a lot, because each individual weapon was actually a separate skill, it just used the costs assigned for the category. So if you wanted to learn, say, broadsword -and- bastard sword or whatever, that's two skills in the one-handed edged category, each with its own ranks. Each individual language was actually two- skills! One for speaking and one for reading/writing. Each spell list you wanted to learn was its own skill, there were about five separate adrenal moves skills, two martial skills - basically anything on that first chart with ** is actually anywhere from 2 to 2 dozen actual skills that you had to spend points on separately.

...on the other hand, IIRC the Death Trance Skill is RMSS is actually just literally the skill to will yourself to die with your brain and if you failed the roll you just went into a coma or something.

In a fantasy game, that seems really unnecessary. Just take off your armor and shove the blade through your own heart enough times to hit 0 hp...unless this does this to another target. In the later case, that sounds a little strong.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I read that link as "GURPSplain" for some reason.

I don't know how I feel about that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Covok posted:

In a fantasy game, that seems really unnecessary. Just take off your armor and shove the blade through your own heart enough times to hit 0 hp...unless this does this to another target. In the later case, that sounds a little strong.

The idea being that if you're captured and in danger of being interrogated, you can make yourself die before you spill the beans. So basically it's a skill for being a fanatical mook working for an evil secret society but on the list for players for some reason.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Burning Wheel has a huge skill list. There's like fifty pages of them.

Also, Burning Wheel owns.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rolemaster 2nd Edition had a fairly tame skillset:

(if you didn't go hogwild on all of the other skills added by the various Rolemaster Companions)

Why wouldn't you? (My group is sad, and I am a sad person. RMC2 is my bane.)

Bear in mind that for most of the skills, you are required to drill down. Bastard Sword is a separate skill from Broad Sword and Scimitar and Short Sword and Falcion and Rapier, Hostile Environment: Outer Space is separate from Hostile Environment: High Radiation/Low Oxygen environment, Animal Handling: Horse is separate from Animal Handling: Camel (or, depending on your GM, Riding Horse is separate from Draft Horse), and these are both separate from Fauna Lore: Horse (or Arabian Horse, Shetland Pony, Spanish Mustang, etc.)...

I'll just share the character sheet here, because the list is too long to copy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lPJ9wmvDI5UQc_I3bE5E1JkcePMEzY7FXbgH_jtLyYA/edit?usp=sharing

Old Rolemaster is an interesting look at what modularity and "let the GM decide" can do to a game. It's not my favorite game, but it does play alright once people know what they're doing, and especially once our GM whipped up a decent excel spreadsheet for all the Arms Law/Claw Law charts.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I signed up to run a few events at an upcoming local con; apparently I'm one of only 3 people running RPG events.

I'm running multiple things, right now just Night Witches and WWW, but I'm probably going to add other stuff because I feel kinda bad for the con.

A local indie dev is running Ten Candles, which I've heard good things about and seemed pretty popular at PAX East's Games on Demand last year.

Another guy is running...this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

I signed up to run a few events at an upcoming local con; apparently I'm one of only 3 people running RPG events.

Is that...a literal libertarian fantasy RPG? :wtf:

Also good on you for supporting your local convention scene.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Is that...a literal libertarian fantasy RPG? :wtf:
As near as I can tell. This guy has zero real info on the game anywhere.

quote:

Also good on you for supporting your local convention scene.
I have to support what I can; Rhode Island has like two conventions: this one (which I heard of for the first time this year, and has been running for three years), and TempleCon, which is mainly a big Steampunk convention that happens to run a few RPG events.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haha, holy poo poo this is amazing. Rand: The Got Minening

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

Haha, holy poo poo this is amazing. Rand: The Got Minening

Which completely misses the actual economic point of adventurers in typical D&D style fantasy as being prime wealth distributors. They go out and collect the loot which has been lost to various hazards and then get price gouged to the extreme in order to just go do it again. Otherwise, every adventuring party would break up around level four or so.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I want to download the "Alpha Playtest" but I don't want the guy to think someone is actually interested in his game.

Edit: Oh Dear God, the website.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 4, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

From what I can see, it's just a D6-based game. As in the D6 engine that West End used for the original Star Wars RPG and recently open-sourced.

Also I encourage everyone to watch that KS video.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
You know as much as that is nutcase political wankery masquerading as an rpg, the idea of commoners hiding out in a dungeon to hide from (evil) government knights in shining armor does seem like fun.

Maybe I just want to see a dungeon keeper ttrpg. :shrug:

Maybe it would make a fun board game. The doomed citizen fleeing from government knights and paladins while dodging terrible dungeon creatures. Your hp is your gold. Every time you get hit there is the sound effect of jingling coins hitting the ground. Lose all your gold and you lose the will to live. Could be fun. :allears:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Which completely misses the actual economic point of adventurers in typical D&D style fantasy as being prime wealth distributors. They go out and collect the loot which has been lost to various hazards and then get price gouged to the extreme in order to just go do it again. Otherwise, every adventuring party would break up around level four or so.

Yeah in my last campaign the players were wealth redistributors of a sort. They kept murdering evil industrialists, stealing their poo poo and giving away what they couldn't carry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As much as I don't want to be That Guy at a convention (especially one I'm working at), I kinda want to get into that game and just derail it right away by using my character's loot to actually benefit people.

"Okay, I give my money to the people and pay them to build public works. I mean, what the hell else am I going to do with it?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh god that video was so awkward and unprofessional I had to stop halfway through.

Edit: also it was a gameplay demo with no explanations as to what he was doing or why, instead of a more general pitch video, which is what I expected.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Why wouldn't you? (My group is sad, and I am a sad person. RMC2 is my bane.)

Bear in mind that for most of the skills, you are required to drill down. Bastard Sword is a separate skill from Broad Sword and Scimitar and Short Sword and Falcion and Rapier, Hostile Environment: Outer Space is separate from Hostile Environment: High Radiation/Low Oxygen environment, Animal Handling: Horse is separate from Animal Handling: Camel (or, depending on your GM, Riding Horse is separate from Draft Horse), and these are both separate from Fauna Lore: Horse (or Arabian Horse, Shetland Pony, Spanish Mustang, etc.)...

I'll just share the character sheet here, because the list is too long to copy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lPJ9wmvDI5UQc_I3bE5E1JkcePMEzY7FXbgH_jtLyYA/edit?usp=sharing

Old Rolemaster is an interesting look at what modularity and "let the GM decide" can do to a game. It's not my favorite game, but it does play alright once people know what they're doing, and especially once our GM whipped up a decent excel spreadsheet for all the Arms Law/Claw Law charts.

That's a cool spreadsheet, thanks for sharing.

RM is the kind of game I want to give a shot at some point because I feel like between digital solutions and modern principles of how to run a game, it shouldn't nearly be as much of a bear to play as it first presents itself as, and there's just something elegant about the combined to-hit and damage rolling of the combat.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

As much as I don't want to be That Guy at a convention (especially one I'm working at), I kinda want to get into that game and just derail it right away by using my character's loot to actually benefit people.

"Okay, I give my money to the people and pay them to build public works. I mean, what the hell else am I going to do with it?"

"The government taxes the people at 100% and doesn't do anything with it." There's your authentic crazy libertarian DM experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Is a man not entitled to the fruits of his racially motivated genocide?"

• Locked thread