Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tekopo posted:

Player elimination is always bad and saying that you'll rarely have to wait 10 minutes is not a selling point. Death to player elimination.

Even more so as the two werewolf clones I mentioned do not have player elimination and work similarly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So there's a 30% off sale at Lulu right now. I'm pretty set for old school style D&D book suggestions from there, so can someone suggest any other good RPG books on Lulu?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

So there's a 30% off sale at Lulu right now. I'm pretty set for old school style D&D book suggestions from there, so can someone suggest any other good RPG books on Lulu?

Pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger is worth grabbing if you're into Dungeon World and/or Labyrinth Lord.

The Names Project is useful regardless of what you're running.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is the Legendary Edition of Barbarians of Lemuria still worth getting despite the Mythic Edition existing?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Pretty much anything by Johnstone Metzger is worth grabbing if you're into Dungeon World and/or Labyrinth Lord.

I actually have Metamorphica and it's pretty great so maybe I'll check out his other stuff.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Hollowpoint, Grey Ranks, and Diaspora are on Lulu. I can't remember anything else that hasn't already been mentioned and meets the "not D&D" requirement.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just want to bring attention to FAU's new avatar. :allears:

Dec 26, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It's excellent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I love it so much. It makes me happy all day forever.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love it so much. It makes me happy all day forever.

Would you say it's made your heart grow three sizes?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lightning Lord posted:

The Star Wars D6 fan edit is pretty neat.

https://plus.google.com/communities/109192465386999311385

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a thread for abandoned/dead on the vine characters/campaigns? If there isn't I'll make an OP tonight because I bet there's some good character concepts that never got to see play or only saw one game and Christ knows how many campaigns never got finished.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Len posted:

Is there a thread for abandoned/dead on the vine characters/campaigns? If there isn't I'll make an OP tonight because I bet there's some good character concepts that never got to see play or only saw one game and Christ knows how many campaigns never got finished.

Right here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It took me a second but that's a pretty solid joke.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A "make a character for this RPG system" would be a cool thread, I think. At least for a few pages.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

A "make a character for this RPG system" would be a cool thread, I think. At least for a few pages.

That's like half of what F&F does, but it might be cool to do some kind of challenge thread where someone posts an interesting concept, then asks people to submit characters with that same concept in different systems.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Here's the thread for abandoned characters/campaigns. Hopefully we get stories better than mine.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753144

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually made that thread a while back, but it petered out after a while and dropped into archives like a year ago. :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
No reason you can't make it again. Just because it isn't a megathread doesn't mean it's not good.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually made that thread a while back, but it petered out after a while and dropped into archives like a year ago. :(

It was fun! I remember doing Fatal and aces and eights and a bunch of rifts.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-higgins/retro-phaze-ebook/ebook/product-21032590.html is a cool rpg the sale doesn't matter cause it's free but hey it's free.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently this year's "look at us" black Friday stunt for CAH was to sell nothing for $5.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Apparently it worked out famously for them as well, because CAH fans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I still can't believe someone gave them like decent money for a pile of elephant dung.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This year we offered our customers the ultimate Black Friday experience - the ability to buy nothing from us for $5. We took our entire store offline, and put up a simple payment form where people could give us $5.

11,248 people gave us $5, and 1,199 people gave us more than $5 by filling out the form more than once. One enthusiastic fan gave us $100. In the end, we made a windfall profit of $71,145.

Eleven thousand, two hundred and forty eight people.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently it worked out famously for them as well, because CAH fans.
I can't talk as someone who gave Lowtax money

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

This year we offered our customers the ultimate Black Friday experience - the ability to buy nothing from us for $5. We took our entire store offline, and put up a simple payment form where people could give us $5.

11,248 people gave us $5, and 1,199 people gave us more than $5 by filling out the form more than once. One enthusiastic fan gave us $100. In the end, we made a windfall profit of $71,145.

Eleven thousand, two hundred and forty eight people.

I'm jealous that I didn't think about making a game that focus on rape jokes, racism, and monkey cheese. I want people to give me money for nothing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

bowmore posted:

I can't talk as someone who gave Lowtax money

Hey you have that Lipstick Apathy banner forever now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Len posted:

I'm jealous that I didn't think about making a game that focus on rape jokes, racism, and monkey cheese. I want people to give me money for nothing.

I don't begrudge them for making money. Okay, I begrudge them a little.

I loathe that my demographic has uniformly picked it up as the funniest thing ever. It should be relegated to the same tier as "politically incorrect bathroom jokebook #247." Instead, in any sufficiently large group there's bound to be 1-2 people who either haven't played it or who are still shocked by the contents. So cue two hours of "OMG MaryAnne I can't believe you don't know what (blank) is!" There's minimal creativity involved, most often it is the strategic equivalent of War, and if you let the deck play it'll win a proportionate # of single blank cards.

Actually, tbf seeing it crop up at every party and gathering was the starting point for me to reevaluate my friends circle.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
What game we talking about now?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Cards Against Humanity.

Really, the popularity makes a lot more sense when you don't think of it as a game, but as an excuse that removes the usual social filters. That excuse usually has its role filled by alcohol, but cards work for some folks too, I suppose.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Cards Against Humanity.

Really, the popularity makes a lot more sense when you don't think of it as a game, but as an excuse that removes the usual social filters. That excuse usually has its role filled by alcohol, but cards work for some folks too, I suppose.

In my experience, the people who like to play CAH are people who stubbornly refuse to drink because they are secretly afraid of it/think that makes them interesting.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

In my experience, the people who like to play CAH are people who stubbornly refuse to drink because they are secretly afraid of it/think that makes them interesting.
I've only seen people play CAH when they have been drinking...

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

bowmore posted:

I've only seen people play CAH when they have been drinking...

Different social circles, I guess.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PJOmega posted:

I don't begrudge them for making money. Okay, I begrudge them a little.

I loathe that my demographic has uniformly picked it up as the funniest thing ever. It should be relegated to the same tier as "politically incorrect bathroom jokebook #247." Instead, in any sufficiently large group there's bound to be 1-2 people who either haven't played it or who are still shocked by the contents. So cue two hours of "OMG MaryAnne I can't believe you don't know what (blank) is!" There's minimal creativity involved, most often it is the strategic equivalent of War, and if you let the deck play it'll win a proportionate # of single blank cards.

Actually, tbf seeing it crop up at every party and gathering was the starting point for me to reevaluate my friends circle.

I begrudge them

ScaryJen
Jan 27, 2008

Keepin' it classy.
College Slice
I've only played it a couple of times, but I can't imagine CAH being remotely fun with no booze involved.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a game for the worst kind of subhuman, normie scum that must be killed with machetes ASAP.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
CAH usually takes the role of "a thing to do while we drink and chill" with the circle of friends I play it with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ProfessorCirno posted:

CAH usually takes the role of "a thing to do while we drink and chill" with the circle of friends I play it with.
Same. It's basically "slightly more edgy Apples to Apples" in that you bust it out when you want to do something, but not anything that involves effort.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
We always just pop in some party game like Smash Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

• Locked thread