Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I ran a session of Masks on Sunday, playing fast-and-loose with the Halcyon City canon (that is, I haven't bothered looking at it, except when my players bring it up because they liked something they read). So I have a planetary elemental Nova who has more in common with the Delinquent playbook than she'd like to admit, Legacy with the "wrong" powerset (she inherited from her supervillain father instead of her superhero mother, which isn't good PR), and vlogger Outsider who likes to pretend she understands Earth culture less than she actually does, and I had "Captain Halcyon" hook them up with the old mothballed base he and his friends used when they were the Junior Freedom League back in the 80s.

For their first mission, I sent them up against a teenage supervillain "Mister Mesmer", who had really discount-rate mind control, and they handily defeated him. But he turned out to have diplomatic immunity (son of the Ruritanian ambassador) so all that happened was he got deported. (Obviously he is going to come back later, with much stronger powers, in the season finale.)

Next mission, I'm thinking of having the Junior Freedom League's "Danger Room" having woken up due to a Y2K bug and gotten very angry at being neglected for 15 years, so it harasses the team by meddling with their electronic records (school schedules, bank accounts, etc) and then traps them in the Danger Room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

How often did you and the group stumble over "Mister Mesmer"?

I ran the session over IRC, so "never".

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Ferrinus posted:

IIRC the Oatmeal guy is a blight on the world and must needs be slain for the sake of humanity.

He did help save Wardenclyffe...

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Covok posted:

So, I'm running a game for a few friends who really want to try out the hobby. It's kind of awesome, but we hit some hiccups like the fact they bought the D&D 5e player's handbook and really wanted to use it so I felt obligated to use that system, a system I'm not really familiar with so I have to learn it.

This is the point where I would tell them "you can ask me to show you how this hobby works, or you can roll with your own preconceptions of how this hobby works, but you don't get to do both".

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
There's a Glorantha thread; try there?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Ganymede was a very attractive prince of Troy, whom Zeus abducted to serve as a cup-bearer in Olympus. The connotations write themselves. (It is a pretty :doh: inclusion in a fantasy RPG though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I have a friend who sometimes joins the RPGs I run, and she has a problem: she's not very imaginative. (She's aware of this fact.) We're playing Masks right now, and like many PbtA RPGs it asks the players to define many things about the characters and the world, but my friend has a hard time thinking up responses that aren't completely bland.

Has anyone come across anything particularly good in the way of "how to develop your RP imagination" to which I could refer her?

• Locked thread