Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I am an amateur cook to say the least. I recently used my WM frying pan to pan sear some tuna steaks, but I had the head *way* too high. The oil and tuna steak combo instantly caused the stains that are associated with using too high heat on stainless cookware. It looks like burned on food, but it's become a part of the metal and no amount of SOS pad + comet scrubbing is doing anything.

I recently read that Barkeepers Friend is good for this very issue, but we don't have any of that locally. I was looking around my local store and saw Brasso, which is also a metal polish just like BKF. Will Brasso do the same thing for removing high heat stains from my SS cookware, or do I *need* to use BKF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yes. Also we have a quick questions thread BTY. Oh and if Barkeepers is really that hard to find Amazon has it cheap if you have prime.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I boil up some water and toss in a liberal amount of caustic soda and let it simmer. Use ventilation. Be careful. It eats flesh. By no means be afraid. Just show the required respect.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
dunno how to translate, but these things are made for the job,
they don't scratch your pans and you'll definitely get them clean.

http://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi200584/ah-pannenspons-rvs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Coat a big ziploc bag in a thin layer of ammonia, then stick your pan in there and seal it up as tight as possible. Let it sit overnight, and by morning the food should be able to be scrubbed off easily. Has always worked for me on steel.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Warm water, drop half of a dishwasher tablet in there, leave it overnight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Coat a big ziploc bag in a thin layer of ammonia, then stick your pan in there and seal it up as tight as possible. Let it sit overnight, and by morning the food should be able to be scrubbed off easily. Has always worked for me on steel.

Ammonia is really good for cleaning Deep Fat Friers too. After an hour or so soaking in hot water all the caked on fat can be scrubbed off.

• Locked thread