Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

We're just deciding the classes right? You'll decide where you're sticking them in formation and stuff right?

in any case Sniper,Dancer,Landsknecht: because Links for days :v:

Links aren't gonna be a super amazing setup until like halfway through the game though.

But when we get there :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

Given the vaguely Greek theme the city and its leader seem to have going on, I'm thinking Icarus would be a fitting name for our guild here. :v:

As for starting classes, hmm... Sniper, Runemaster, Dancer.

Suzume, Sniper 2A

A shrine maiden and former Ronin from High Lagaard who made her living by killing the monsters that escaped from the Labyrinth and plagued the countryside. However, she left for greener pastures after a certain guild eliminated the source of all the monsters and drove her out of business. She figured the Labyrinth of Tharsis would be an excellent place to hone her newly-acquired archery skills. Often tends to speak in riddles and proverbs, annoying her guildmates who have trouble figuring out what the hell she's actually trying to say. Despite her intimidating looks, she's actually really good with children. She enjoys sitting on the grass and watching the birds fly by whenever she's not getting her murder on. Also probably the only one who earnestly laughs at terrible puns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mersenne posted:

Given the vaguely Greek theme the city and its leader seem to have going on, I'm thinking Icarus would be a fitting name for our guild here. :v:

That's not the city's leader, it's the guildmaster. He's just some bureaucrat. I'm not actually sure what the culture of Tharsis is supposed to be like.

Bring a Runemaster, Dancer, and Nightseeker.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

One thing of note about the EO4 demo: it caps you at level 10, which is RIGHT before you get to the really fun skills.

Also of note: you can kill every FOE you find in the demo. Unless its the souped up kangaroo in which case forget it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

EO4 was my first real experience with the series, aside from a brief stint with Untold 1. I love 4 so much, I really hope 5 is closer to this than it is the Untold game when it eventually gets made. Untold 2 is really good, just picked that up a few days ago. But 4 did a big overhaul for a fair number of things, especially the skill tress, that helps streamline everything and keep things at an even pace. I'm really interested to see some of the numbers going on in the background, especially for the Nightseeker class. That thing can pull off some absurd damage with the right setup.

Nightseeker, Landsknecht, Protector should make a good front line.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Untold games added their own huge improvements too, some that seemed so natural that going back to EO4 felt odd. Like, you can't see the enemy's buffs in EO4. I feel like the series has just been getting better and better over time (Grimoires aside, but that's probably just a concession to a fixed story party. I hope.)

I like the nimble fencer-type Landsharks in this game way better than the standard heavy knights from previous games though.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
gonna cast my votes for nightseeker, medic, and sniper.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, forgot to vote for classes, so, Nightseeker, Sniper, Dancer

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I have to be honest, I can't resist the urge for a Dancer (Portrait 4b) named Hecate. A young girl named for a goddess of a dead (or buried) culture who learned her trade from the streets, having wondered into the guild and deciding to lay her life on the line for them

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Medic, Dancer, Sniper. Front-line medics so good. Sleep and stuns for days.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Aw man, I loved the hell out of this game. It is unfortunately easy to overlevel yourself (one person I know finished the main game with a party that was 10 levels higher than mine!), but I think my tendency to keep one of every class in the guild and rotate every time I went out meant that I actually stayed on curve. I hope you do the same!

Your classes for the day are: Landsknecht, Dancer, and Sniper. Nightseekers just make things too easy! Your character for the day is a Sniper (2A) named Never. Everything was going fine for her, and then, one day, she woke up and couldn't remember the last year of her life. To make matters worse, she's in this hick town in the middle of nowhere!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Ooh yay! Someone finally LPs the only EO game I actually played to completion!

Let's go with Landsknecht, Dancer, and Sniper. Lands and Dancer keep procing off each other, and you gotta have that Sniper for binds.

And a character, Butterfly the Landsknecht (black-hair female). She may seem as sweet and gentle as her namesake implies, but the prodigy of Runemaster Academy dropped out in search of a more...hands-on application of magical theories. Or at least that's what her classmates think. In truth she just wanted to become a sky pirate and every sky pirate needs a cool sword

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Clarste posted:

The Untold games added their own huge improvements too, some that seemed so natural that going back to EO4 felt odd. Like, you can't see the enemy's buffs in EO4. I feel like the series has just been getting better and better over time (Grimoires aside, but that's probably just a concession to a fixed story party. I hope.)

I like the nimble fencer-type Landsharks in this game way better than the standard heavy knights from previous games though.

Another thing I miss in the earlier EO games. Being able to see the enemies' resistances to ailments. (well, sorta. EO2U didn't have exact numbers or anything, but some indication is better than none at all.) Especially considering that EO4 is when status effects became really good, and a viable strategy to put into your party. I love running ailment parties in these games. Disable the enemy, and beat the tar out of them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nightseeker, dancer, runemaster. I'm quite curious on this game, I have no 3ds so I'm skipping on playing EO4 and the untolds at the moment.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Alright, I'm gonna close up the voting now. I've got the characters picked and I'll work on an update tonight.

Landsknecht: Krysmphoenix with Butterfly
Medic: alcharagia with Lionhart
Nightseeker: Dr. Fetus with Damien
Fortress: megane with Isabel
Sniper: Mersenne with Suzume
Runemaster: poorlywrittennovel with Hans
Dancer: Mysticblade with Seth

I'll add the bios to the second post once I get home.

Guild Name:
Skybound: 4
Icarus: 1
Awesome: 1

My choice: 1
Considering I can't change the outcome, I'm gonna leave it at Skybound.

Party:
Dancer: 16
Nightseeker: 14
Landsknecht: 13
Runemaster: 13
Sniper: 11

Medic: 11
Fortress: 9

I'm going to be bringing a sniper along first instead of a medic because I'd like to show off everything about landys and bandage becomes very useless very quickly.

This means that our initial party is: Seth, Damien, Butterfly, Hans, and Suzume

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tyty posted:

Alright, I'm gonna close up the voting now. I've got the characters picked and I'll work on an update tonight.
god loving drat it

why do people not post these things in the other threads :(

Anyway, super excited for this - EO4 is still probably my favorite game in the series, mostly because every class feels powerful and impactful in their own way, rather than some classes basically being a waste of space like in previous entries. Gonna be following this with glee (and getting a submission in for one of the unlockable classes, drat it all)!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I missed the vote. :(

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yay, mine got chosen! :buddy:

Chose one of the Punmasters, huh? Guess you want to see the pun making mages live on. :v:

You sure you're gonna be okay without a Medic this early?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Chose one of the Punmasters, huh? Guess you want to see the pun making mages live on. :v:

If we give Tyty no choice then it has to be best choice he or she picks.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yay, mine got chosen! :buddy:

DADMASTER

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Hans is not a boat. :( This is gonna be a punderful journey.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

This was my first EO game, and I never used a medic on Normal. Dancers are pretty good healers.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Lionhart's asthma was acting up that day, y'see...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I thought it was all equipment, not just the weapon, that influenced action speed?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I've always seen this game as one where tanking and defensive playstyles aren't very effective. Support characters like Fortresses and Medics were basically useless for me, Nightseekers and Runemasters all day :whatup:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

I've always seen this game as one where tanking and defensive playstyles aren't very effective. Support characters like Fortresses and Medics were basically useless for me, Nightseekers and Runemasters all day :whatup:

Whoa. Medics may have taken a hit, but Fortresses are plenty useful. It's just that tanks aren't a must have class anymore. They make life easier for squishy parties, though they're not as necessary in sturdy ones.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Provoke is actually useful in this game, so that automatically makes Fortresses good. Plus their damage mitigation might not be as direct as "No damage from this one specific element" but the party wide buffs are still quite good. Plus, I kind of hate those types of mitigation skills anyway. I much prefer a generalist, damage soaking tank.

"Oh, the monster wreathed in flames did a party wide physical attack? Meh, gently caress you. Oh, you thought the blue enemy used ice skills? Nope! Eat hot lightning, jackass. Enjoy your wasted TP."

A Fortress and a Nightseeker have made up the entirety of my front line for my full run and I never once had a problem. I kind of agree with Medics though. i wish I'd taken a Dancer instead, or something.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I will have Words on the Usefulness and Goodness of Medics. :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem with Fortresses is that they're boring as heck.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

theshim posted:

Word From A Madman: The theshim Story

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

The problem with Fortresses is that they're boring as heck.

I was always super jazzed about my fortress whenever they ate an entire full party attack and shrugged at the horrible monster. Which doesn't happen till late game buuuuuuuuut

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The power of DANCE will be enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjbGr2nk2c

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Awww, mine didn't get picked. Ah well, them's the breaks.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When the game was released I couldn't quite get into it. I came back to it a couple months ago and cleared it, and it might be rivalling 3 as my favourite in the series. Took a runemaster due to a coinflip and god drat she did work. My nightseeker could do insane damage when the stars aligned, but the runemaster was a constant stream of beat downs. I even phased out my medic early in the game with no regrets, and in every other EO game I was defence/healing heavy. It was a nice change.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 4, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
drat, missed the party creation because I was busy with TitS SC.

And, uh, yeah, Fortresses are completely nuts in this game. Best iteration of the tank class in the series, except maybe untold's Beast.

theshim posted:

Are they as good as EOU2 Medics? :v:

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 4, 2015

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
They're good in a completely different way from EO2U medics, but I'm guessing there will be a more appropriate time to go into that, probably whenever Tyty is ready to make alt parties or whatever.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Whoa. Medics may have taken a hit, but Fortresses are plenty useful. It's just that tanks aren't a must have class anymore. They make life easier for squishy parties, though they're not as necessary in sturdy ones.

I tried to use a Fortress but you need a medic to support them for most of the game so that's 2 spots locked up to fulfill one task, which isn't efficient. Dancer and [spoiler class] heal well enough that you can get around that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gamma Nerd posted:

I tried to use a Fortress but you need a medic to support them for most of the game so that's 2 spots locked up to fulfill one task, which isn't efficient. Dancer and [spoiler class] heal well enough that you can get around that.

I... I'm trying to figure out how this is possible? How does that work, I legitimately don't get it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, if the only flaw with the fortress is that you think you need a medic to accompany them for... some reason, then i think that's a pretty glowing endorsement of the fortress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

You shouldn't really need a medic for them, except maybe around mid-game. Early on they outtank most of the first couple floors, and late-game they take like no damage.

And I am 100% sure I will have to use medics for something other than their intended purpose at some point.

I have the next update recorded, so hopefully in the next day or two I can get it posted.

EDIT:

Cernunnos posted:

I thought it was all equipment, not just the weapon, that influenced action speed?

Yep! Whoops! I'll fix that.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread