Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

Ninjas' damage output drops off really hard after the early game. Nightseekers are arguably the best consistent damage dealers in EO4. The fact that they are the best consistent damage dealers is offset by the fact that they are very fragile, and only their Throw skills work with full effectiveness from the back line.

A class needs to have weaknesses in order to be actually balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, but one of the best ways that Nightseekers can break a game is simple.
Subclass Sniper into them, and their fragility drops because they can use bows to attack from range, while still being able to set up good damage by using their throw skills/proficiency.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
why would you use bows with a nightseeker, that's a bad idea

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

alcharagia posted:

why would you use bows with a nightseeker, that's a bad idea

I think he's referring to the fact that if you subclass Sniper on a class, and then equip a bow in the second weapon slot, the back row damage penalty for everything is eliminated? I think that's how it works?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I think that's how it worked, yeah.

Not really sure how it's breaking the game, though!

Besides, like, simply mechanically.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What?
Bows have bad attack?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I think we can all agree that Nightseekers are great and buffing them would make them more broken. Also, we just got past the first small maze, should we really be discussing something that doesn't become relevant until the second half of the game?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It depends how much you consider mechanics to be spoilers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Junpei posted:

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

Ninjas are not good damage dealers. They're supports. Nightseekers do not need anymore buffs. They are the strongest class in the game. And the throws deal terrible damage at all levels, 80%. So those aren't meant for dealing damage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ninjas are not good damage dealers. They're supports. Nightseekers do not need anymore buffs. They are the strongest class in the game. And the throws deal terrible damage at all levels, 80%. So those aren't meant for dealing damage.

At least not directly.
You forgot: Nightseeker's Proficiency increases damage done when the target is under a status ailment.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei posted:

At least not directly.
You forgot: Nightseeker's Proficiency increases damage done when the target is under a status ailment.

I seriously doubt that he forgot that.

Something facilitating high damage does not necessari-

... :crossarms:

-ly make the skill good for damage.

Particularly when there are other sources of it.

So I noticed while typing this. The I in Legends of Titan is capitalized in the thread title.

This bothers me.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 20, 2015

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
A Throw skill deals 224% damage (80 * 2.8) with the Nightseeker's Enlightenment, which is first unlocked at level 40. The Throw skills will always be terrible for damage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

A Throw skill deals 224% damage (80 * 2.8) with the Nightseeker's Enlightenment, which is first unlocked at level 40. The Throw skills will always be terrible for damage.

No, you use the throw skills to disable and set up for proficiency/mastery/enlightenment, then you switch to your sword skills and basic attacks.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Supremezero posted:

So I noticed while typing this. The I in Legends of Titan is capitalized in the thread title.

This bothers me.

Oh goddammit, I hadn't noticed that at all and now I won't be able to ignore it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Supremezero posted:

:argh:

Nightseekers are stupid good, which is why I didn't use one in my latest playthrough, don't want to make the game too easy :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Crosspeice posted:

:argh:

Nightseekers are stupid good, which is why I didn't use one in my latest playthrough, don't want to make the game too easy :v:

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh goddammit, I hadn't noticed that at all and now I won't be able to ignore it.

I refuse to suffer alone! :devil:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Supremezero posted:

This bothers me.

Huh. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. How'd that slip by for over a month?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. How'd that slip by for over a month?

The art of pointing out typos without looking conceited is quite difficult to master.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I heard that this is the most balanced EO game, in that no class is useless.
Is that true?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
No one is useless.

Some are simply more broken than others.

:v:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
i think tyty noticed and got mad about it about 5 minutes after he posted the thread but never did anything about it

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Supremezero posted:

This bothers me.

Bastard :argh: It'll bug me every time I read this thread now.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So...
Tyty, are you going to discuss the classes abilities in class overview thingy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I had my Nightseeker throw knives from the back row until they got a status proc, and then switched them to the front for massive damage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

Maybe I'm stupid, but I had my Nightseeker throw knives from the back row until they got a status proc, and then switched them to the front for massive damage.

Smart dude.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Junpei posted:

Yeah, but one of the best ways that Nightseekers can break a game is simple.
Subclass Sniper into them, and their fragility drops because they can use bows to attack from range, while still being able to set up good damage by using their throw skills/proficiency.

Why would you ever do this over subclassing to an Arcanist, which not only increases the chance of sticking the status on an enemy, but also gives back the MP they used for the skill when they do so? Venom Throw's poison does a fixed 700 damage to everything per round, which is enough to kill even the bonus dungeon enemies in 2-3 rounds.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nightseekers are arguably the best consistent damage dealers in EO4.

What about Landskenects? Snipers? Runemasters? Bushi? Imperials?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nightseekers have the best damage steroid in the game. Their class skills give them a massive damage boost against enemies with ailments, and they have a really good damage boosting passive on top of that. No other class compares to it because they don't have any damage boosts on the level of what the Nightseeker's passives gives them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nightseekers have the best damage steroid in the game. Their class skills give them a massive damage boost against enemies with ailments, and they have a really good damage boosting passive on top of that. No other class compares to it because they don't have any damage boosts on the level of what the Nightseeker's passives gives them.

So, theoretically, you could go through the game with a Nightseeker, Fortress and Medic and be totally fine?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

So, theoretically, you could go through the game with a Nightseeker, Fortress and Medic and be totally fine?

There is no party combination that doesn't work in EO4. Pretty sure people in the main EO thread in Games have done solo class runs with almost everything.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Nah, you can't solo the game with everything, but I'm fairly sure every permutation of 3 or more characters can beat the game.

Mostly because of the level cap. Since it caps out at 60 you can't really solo with anything besides a fortress iirc. maybe on a new game + file with the dragons beaten? Might try solo landy if I can ever finish 5 landys.

I'll try and finish a class write-up for Landsknechts in the next couple days here.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

poorlywrittennovel posted:

There is no party combination that doesn't work in EO4. Pretty sure people in the main EO thread in Games have done solo class runs with almost everything.

I'm meant just those three.
Also, if Nightseekers are Better At Damage than the other 5 classes I meantioned, why would you ever use them when you could use a Nightseeker? Said five classes: Landskenect, Sniper, Runemaster, Bushi, Imperial.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Because the classes do different things.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Junpei posted:

I'm meant just those three.
Also, if Nightseekers are Better At Damage than the other 5 classes I meantioned, why would you ever use them when you could use a Nightseeker? Said five classes: Landskenect, Sniper, Runemaster, Bushi, Imperial.
Because the game is balanced by locking skills behind a level cap. You can't get Venom Throw for the first 20 levels (I think?), making the Nightseeker not that powerful at the start of the game.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Because elemental damage exists.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Txn posted:

Because the game is balanced by locking skills behind a level cap. You can't get Venom Throw for the first 20 levels (I think?), making the Nightseeker not that powerful at the start of the game.

Also, because Nightseekers are made of wet paper.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There is also nothing in the game difficult enough (aside from one optional thing) that warrants running the most overpowered party setups to get past. The game is easy enough as long as you don't make any really dumb mistakes. Or make several small dumb mistakes over a short period of time. And not everyone likes running the most overpowered setups because that can make the game boring for them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, I got all that.
But in what situations are Landy, Sniper, Rune, Bushi, and Imper good for over Night?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Elemental damage, being able to bind and guaranteed accurate attacks, elemental damage, as a generally really good subclass, elemental damage in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Please stop posting.

• Locked thread