Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Cernunnos posted:

Please stop posting.

I'm just asking questions and bringing up fair points.
Like, for example is it feasable to have a more defensive Landy in this game?
You, know, put some points into Iron Wall, Weapon Parry, and Swordbreaker, subclass Fortress and other poo poo like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

You seem like you're just starting arguments for the sake of starting arguments, and your posts read like you are desperately trying to not be proven wrong once other people chime in. This discussion about Nightseekers vs. everyone else is inane and pointless.

Junpei posted:

Like, for example is it feasable to have a more defensive Landy in this game?
You, know, put some points into Iron Wall, Weapon Parry, and Swordbreaker, subclass Fortress and other poo poo like that?

You could do that, yes, but there's better ways to build a Landsknecht.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You seem like you're just starting arguments for the sake of starting arguments, and your posts read like you are desperately trying to not be proven wrong once other people chime in. This discussion about Nightseekers vs. everyone else is inane and pointless.

Oh.
Sorry.
I haven't played an EO game, so I was just curious about classes and skills and strategies and so on.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So hey, just because most of us know the classes exist, even behind spoilers I'd like to keep discussion of the unlockable classes, and subclassing to an minimum if at all possible. It'll be fine to talk about it more when it happens.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

You use other classes because having a varied roster is fun.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei Hyde posted:

You use other classes because having a varied roster is fun.

Kinda late to the party.
Oh, and when we unlock the other classes will we do another character vote, Tyty?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei posted:

Oh.
Sorry.
I haven't played an EO game, so I was just curious about classes and skills and strategies and so on.

... if you have never played an EO game, why are you arguing with people who have when they tell you that yes, you can do the thing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

... if you have never played an EO game, why are you arguing with people who have when they tell you that yes, you can do the thing.

Hey, I just read some suggestions from a EO wiki.
Also, are Medics too useful here?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Junpei posted:

Hey, I just read some suggestions from a EO wiki.
Also, are Medics too useful here?

:lol:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

To clarify:
Ragnar, you said so yourself in your medic discussion. Quote:
EO4 Medics were very, very good at their job--in fact, they were a little too good, as they healed for way more than the party would ever really need. An Arcanist with a Medic subclass was, pretty obviously, "inferior" to an actual Medic due to how subclassing in EO4 worked, but they still did the job of healing the party well enough that they were preferred over a Medic main class.
Is. This. True?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
nah he lied

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Junpei posted:

Is. This. True?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9i3GulnTlM

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Jesus christ dude, just go to the EO thread in Games if you want to have arguments about classes. Or better yet, don't, and just stop posting poo poo about games you haven't played. This doesn't add anything to the LP.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
fun fact: junpei is a 12 year old autist who threatened to strangle me on the xcom2 thread. Also, he's got a fast growing rap sheet.

The future of the forums

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Jesus christ dude, just go to the EO thread in Games if you want to have arguments about classes. Or better yet, don't, and just stop posting poo poo about games you haven't played. This doesn't add anything to the LP.

What are you doing to the EO thread!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

I'm beginning to think that you're using words without knowing what they mean. You are indeed asking questions, but the points you bring up are mostly nonsensical to people who've played EO4 in particular or EO games in general before. Worse, the kinds of questions you're asking suggest that even if we answered them, you would understand nothing more about the game as a whole and thus would only ask more drat silly questions. The fastest ways to resolve most of the questions you've asked would be to grab a copy of EO4 and play the game yourself, or to just simmer down and wait for the LP to get there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
EO4 is now on sale for $10 on the NA eshop. Pretty good deal for that price.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have to say I like the new skill tree layout, even if you're still only going to pick a part of it to build down.

It's also pretty nice that the game is teaching you to dance around FOEs this early. Seems like a good skill to tutorialize.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Just a heads-up. I talk about subclasses here a bit (thanks Weapon Parry) but I'd still like to keep specific skill combos and mechanics discussion to a minimum until we unlock it. I figure it's okay to mention in passing since, well, the option is in the explorer's guild just grayed out.

Still no other spoils though. Sorry I have to be so strict on it and keep bringing it up.

--------------------------------------------------------

Class Overview: Landsknecht

Known as the Swordsman in Japan, Landsknechts have been in 3 of the 4 mainline EO series. They got a pretty complete overhaul this time around, instead of focusing on hitting one enemy or hitting all the enemies, they have a somewhat team-focused design. To get the most out of a Landy you're going to need specific team members for specific skills.

The good thing about this is that you only need that to get the most out of them. Their high-damage melee skills still somewhat exist, so they can slot into any team as a frontline damage dealer. To add to their versatility, along with their high damage, they bring a ton of support skills along as well. They're capable of reducing enemy damage and defense, healing, and even completely nullifying attacks on their row. They end up a staple in most of my teams simply because they can act as the glue that holds a team together gameplay-wise.

As I said before, they are a Jack of all trades, and a master of one. We'll get into that in a bit.

Equipment:
Weapons: Swords, Rapiers
Armor: Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Shields

Since all classes can equip staves, daggers, clothes, and the various other armor slots I won't be listing them here or in other class updates. Just the unique stuff.

Stats:

Level 1:
HP: 48
TP: 26
STR: 9
TEC: 5
VIT: 8
AGI: 6
LUC: 4

Level 35:
HP: 240
TP: 92
STR: 32
TEC: 22
VIT: 33
AGI: 28
LUC: 17

Level 70:
HP: 438
TP: 160
STR: 64
TEC: 39
VIT: 59
AGI: 50
LUC: 31

Level 99:
HP: 583
TP: 190
STR: 81
TEC: 53
VIT: 76
AGI: 68
LUC: 42

Landys are about the same as they are in other games. Second highest STR and VIT, but with the lowest LUC, and their usual abysmal TP Pool. It's not the worst, but it feels like it since they don't have a way of restoring their own TP.

Novice Skills:

Landsknechts follow this skill tree as they level up:

Proficiency/Expertise/Enlightenment
Type: Passive (Class skill)
Requirements: None/Proficiency/Expertise
Max Level: 1

Increased Damage: 20%/25%/30%
Increased Accuracy: 10/15/20

The Landsknecht's class skill. Putting a point into these increases the damage and accuracy of all attacks on any enemy that has been hit by a landsknecht that turn. It doesn't boost poison's damage. For my class posts I will be putting the class skills together like this. Like all class skills, these are important, so make sure to put a point in when you can. Prioritize a skill when you hit a new tier though.

Sonic Raid
Type: Active (Attack skill, Arms)
Requirements: None
Max Level: 10
Weapon: Sword/Rapier
Damage Type: Slash/Stab
Speed Modifier: -3

Sonic Raid is your bread and butter damage skill. It's cheap, and does more damage than a normal attack. It will always go first (In the case of multiple "Go First" moves, it'll be determined like a normal turn using its speed modifier) which makes it very useful for proccing your class skill. The damage type is determined by your equipped weapon, either slash or stab depending.

Blazing/Freezing/Electric Link
Requirements: Sonic Raid Level 3
Max Level: 10
Damage Type: Fire/Ice/Volt + Slash/Stab

These are the Landy's biggest damage skill, though they don't look like much right now. Strikes with the element + slash/stab damage depending on the weapon to an enemy. After a party member attacks that enemy, the landy will follow up with another hit based on the inital damage. If you have a runemaster, sniper, or dancer in your party this will become one of the strongest attacks in the game, and highest damage per turn.

Power/Mind Break
Requirements: None/Power Break Level 3
Max Level: 6
Weapon: Shield
Damage Type: Bash
Speed Modifier: -3

Damages the enemy, and decreases their attack/magical attack for 3 turns. It's incredibly useful when used alongside Fortress skills, and Runemaster runes, to protect yourself from big attacks. Probably not something to put points into on a damage Landy though, as they'll be busy doing other things, but they're still very useful early on.

Power Boost
Type: Passive (Common)
Max Level: 8

Increases damage. Like most other common passives, you want to max it last. Before you're done the rest of your build, I'd only put 4 points into it tops.

Vanguard
Type: Active (Buff, Head)
TP Cost: 6
Speed Modifier: +6
Extra Damage Taken: 25%

Increases damage taken for 5 turns. Also increases damage dealt, gives the user action priority. In multiple cases of action priority, the turn order is decided for those units as normal. This is a fantastic buff, since Landys are already tanky, and you want them going first to proc their passives and links. Since the damage taken and cost don't increase it's something that can be maxed right away, though I'd still focus on getting new skills first. Be careful with it when going up against bosses and FOEs though, as they hit way harder than most normal enemies.

Mineralogy

Gives you a 10% chance to mine extra minerals while mining. Pick it up if you have extra points and need mining materials I guess. It's fairly useful.

Bandage
Type: Active (Field)

Heals, on the field only. Very useful if you don't have an effective source of healing on your team like a medic, or not enough funds for medicas. It falls off late though, as HP bars get bigger and bigger and your TP pool can't really keep up. Maybe take it if you need it early but don't funnel points into it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Veteran Skills (level 20):

Double Strike
Requirements: none
Damage Type: Slash/Stab

Hits twice. A good damage skill for when the Novice tree opens up. Useful for random encounters, but you really only need to take it if you aren't using links for whatever reason. It leads to better attacks anyway, so I wouldn't max it unless you need a cheaper damage skill.

Spiral Slash
Requirements: Double Strike Level 3
Weapon: Sword
Damage Type: Slash

Splashes to enemies in the same row for 50% of the original damage. I never found it particularly useful, and it does less damage than a Double Strike on one enemy for more TP. Maybe useful if the enemies are in 3/2 arrangement? If you want to use sword attacks, put three points into it initially, max it if you need the AOE.

Penetrate
Requirements: Double Strike Level 3
Weapon: Rapier
Damage Type: Stab

Pierces through rows to hit the enemy in the back, though it is a melee attack so row damage reduction applies. I found this more useful than Spiral Slash but they're roughly equivalent. 3 points, max if you need AOE. As before, avoid these two if you're doing links.

Iron Wall

Same as Power Boost but for defense. Again, new skills are usually more important, so this is more of a point dump for when you have all your skills. Cap out at 4 points until everything else is maxed if you're taking it. I'd recommend it since your Landy should be taking a lot of front-row heat anyways.

Sword Breaker
Type: Passive

Has a chance to block 50% of the damage from any enemy attack on your row. Very, very, VERY useful skill. Keeps your Nightseekers from dying and keeps your Fortresses alive longer to keep tanking. It's a bit RNG reliant, but I recommend it.

Improved Link.
Type: Active (Buff, Head)

For 3 turns, increases the max number of times you can link. Do note that the Dancer's dances and Sniper's Chase Bind do not set it off. This is a necessary skill if you are running a linker Landsknecht, and allows them to easily keep up with (and surpass) the new weapon skills. Your turn order is now Vanguard -> Improved Link -> Link of choice, followed up by a multi-hit move on another character. You should keep in mind that there's a hard cap of 4 links on a single skill, so you'll need multiple multi-hit sources.

Initiative
Requirements: Vanguard Level 2

Increases your damage if you move before any enemies do. Another nice small damage amp. If you're using a Landy that uses Vanguard, you might as well pick this up, but focus on getting the skills you want from the tree first. You can also take it if you're using say rapier, cloth, and boots with no shield. You should still outpace all the enemies.

Muscular Chef
Type: Passive (Exploration)

1 Person: 144%
5 People: 200%

Increases strength gains from food. These skills stack weird. They have an effective % that changes based on the number of party members with that skill, and each class has a different one. It's a nice little strength boost, but only really super useful if you have 5 landys (where it becomes silly). I'd say put points in if you have extra.

-----------------

Master Skills (Level 40):

Sword Tempest
Requirements: Spiral Slash Level 3
Weapon: Sword
Damage Type: Slash

Has a massive speed penalty, that can be negated by Vanguard. Essentially equivalent to the old Landy's axe skills, in that it's more useful taking out a priority target, or a boss with summons. Does some absolutely massive damage, but needs some work to get it to work with all your passive damage ups.

Swift Stab
Requirements: Penetrate Level 3
Weapon: Rapier
Damage Type: Stab

Attacks a row multiple times. This is the reason I prefer the rapier tree over the sword tree. It requires a lot less work to keep your Landy going first, and on average does more damage. Just be careful against enemies that summon helpers, as you'll lose a lot of your upfront damage. I'm unsure the chances of it hitting 4 times or not.

Weapon Parry
Requirements: Sword Breaker Level 3

Reduces damage taken when you have two weapons. This is a must-have if you decide to replace your shield with a weapon after you subclass. It's there to compensate for the lost DEF from no longer having a shield, and is a fairly powerful defense boost.

Link Mastery
Requirements: Improved Link Level 3

Increases the damage of successive links. This is the reason why Landys are the highest damage per turn class. With a maxed Link skill and Improved Link, this skill boosts a full 8 links to 1013% damage. That's before considering boosts like Vanguard and Initiative. Links are crazy.

Think of it this way. You have your original link attack hit for 140% damage. Then your follow-ups with Improved Link will hit 8 times. 8x50% is 400%, and 400% of 140% is 560% damage. You'll be hitting 700% -before- the boost from Link Mastery.

How Link Mastery works is each successive link after the first adds its damage, so instead of 8x50, we'd have 50%, 58%, 66%, ..., 106% at 8 hits. That means our chases do 624% of the original hit, or 873% damage. This combines with the initial hit for 1013%.

And we haven't even hit the tip of the iceberg for how we can do on passives alone. I'll keep adding on as we continue along in the LP and class overviews to how much the Landy can do without other classes backing them up with buffs.

------------------

Synergies:

Since EO4 is a pretty open and easy game, there's not much to focus on in synergies. Every class works well together, so here I'm just going to highlight classes that work -exceptionally- together.

Sniper
The Sniper's Squall Volley allows them to very easily get off 7 of the 8 chases required for a Linkshark's silly damage numbers. Just be careful, you'll either need to land a leg bind or eat up a party-wide buff slot to make sure it hits enough.

Runemaster
Probably a better match for the Landy, they can drop an Elemental rune to weaken enemies before using Galvanic Rune to set off the links. Keep in mind, you'll need someone else to increase their accuracy or bind the enemy's legs.

Dancer
Although they can't pull off what Runemasters or Snipers do as frequently, Sword Dance is a fantastic way to set off links and keep enemies locked down, and they provide damage and defensive buffs in the front row. A bit more of a supportive option.

Landsknecht
Though I don't recommend running five casually, two in the front row is a good combo. One focusing on rapier skills can set off the others links fairly efficiently and having two swordbreakers in one row is good. Again the key here is multi-hit moves. They also can make some good strength-boosting food together if you want that.

?????
REDACTED

------------------

Subclasses:

I was hoping to avoid talking about them till we unlocked it, but some of the Landy skills go over it and the thread has been talking about it enough. For now I'll just mention which are good subclasses and why, and when I go over subclassing I'll come back and edit the post to point out specific skills.

Medic
Somewhat useful as a buff/debuff support... Though landys suck at healing. Trust me I've done it. Avoid this unless you absolutely need revive.

Fortress
Works okay as front-line defensive fighter. Landy breaks synergize well with the fortresses' general playstyle. Maybe if you need more defense on your frontline. Just don't expect as big numbers as other options.

Sniper
Works at first, but falls off quickly, Snipers are much better at using their own abilities. Low LUC and TEC make binds impossible, and the lack of decent passives hurts. Not very good.

Dancer
Maybe for chases/sword dance. Another supportive option. Not as reliant on TEC for healing as medic, and the buffs/chases could be okay. Maybe if you have 5 landys.

Runemaster
The absolute best subclass for a linker landy. Their elemental damage amplification is just silly paired with links. Definitely pick this if you're not focusing on sword/rapier skills.

Nightseeker
Status doesn't really work with a landy. Nothing really synergizes here except dual-wielding maybe, so I'd avoid it.

Ahty__dmj-
C u Hfg ------

??

?

Tyty fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 3, 2016

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Tyty posted:

Sniper
The Sniper's Squall Volley allows them to very easily get off 7 of the 8 chases required for a Linkshark's silly damage numbers. Just be careful, you'll either need to land a leg bind or eat up a party-wide buff slot to make sure it hits enough.

Blind and paralysis also guarantee every hit will land. But isn't the number of links that can be triggered by a single attack capped at like 3-4?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
You know how I said Butterfly was a former Runemaster? :getin: We're going to Linktown.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

Blind and paralysis also guarantee every hit will land. But isn't the number of links that can be triggered by a single attack capped at like 3-4?

Yes, each action can only proc a maximum of 4 chases, and only the first followup per skill is guaranteed. Each followup after that only has a 50% chance of activating, so you want as many multi-hit skills in the party as possible in a Link party. You want to roll the dice as much as possible to get the maximum damage. Link parties do not play nice with classes that deal one big hit instead of several smaller ones.

However a character taking multiple actions (Through the Nightseeker's Blade Flurry or the Dancer's Sword Dance) isn't considered to be the same thing as a multi-hit skill. Each proc from Sword Dance will guarantee that a chase follows it, and it ignores the 4 chase cap. Unless the Landsknecht runs into the cap from Improved Link, in which case the Links will flat out stop.

Tyty posted:

Attacks a row multiple times. This is the reason I prefer the rapier tree over the sword tree. It requires a lot less work to keep your Landy going first, and on average does more damage. Just be careful against enemies that summon helpers, as you'll lose a lot of your upfront damage. I'm unsure the chances of it hitting 4 times or not.

If it's like EO3, the game has an equal chance of landing each number of hits. So it's a 50-50 chance for 3 or 4 hits. I think EO2 was the last (and only) time they weighted the number of hits in a multi-hit skill.

And it took me until now to realize that Swift Stab is essentially a slightly better Blade Rave. Too bad Links are way stronger. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 30, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This was my first EO game, so I always imagined the Landsknecht as this quick rapier-wielding fencer type who kept poking the enemy again and again with the links (and obviously they have that "go first" synergy with their skills). So going back to the other games and finding them to be a totally generic Fighter person was incredibly jarring.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

They need to put this Landsknecht together with the Fafnir from Untold 2. :getin:

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, each action can only proc a maximum of 4 chases, and only the first followup per skill is guaranteed. Each followup after that only has a 50% chance of activating, so you want as many multi-hit skills in the party as possible in a Link party. You want to roll the dice as much as possible to get the maximum damage. Link parties do not play nice with classes that deal one big hit instead of several smaller ones.
Hum. I could've sworn I was getting more hits from my Squall Volleys. I'll update the post though since it looks like I was just reading the data wrong. I went to double check with what the @wiki has on the skill and it confused me a bit. The skill does only define max links and TP cost, and nothing more.

Dr. Fetus posted:

And it took me until now to realize that Swift Stab is essentially a slightly better Blade Rave. Too bad Links are way stronger. :v:

It really is. Honestly non-link landys are completely workable and fun to use (if you use rapiers) it's just that they aren't going to hit the crazy big numbers EO4 was known for before EO2U came out.

I think my one was hitting upwards of 2100-2800 damage every other turn on my landy run, can't find the game to double check though, but I distinctly remember ~700 damage hits on the final boss.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I am 100% sure that chase dance and rush dance can trigger links, as I've used that combo before I got sword dance and dual-wielding on my Dancer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I remember doing that too, although it happened long enough ago that I'm not sure I can trust my memories on this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tyty posted:

Hum. I could've sworn I was getting more hits from my Squall Volleys. I'll update the post though since it looks like I was just reading the data wrong. I went to double check with what the @wiki has on the skill and it confused me a bit. The skill does only define max links and TP cost, and nothing more.

Yeah, sometimes the skill data doesn't actually contain all the data for the skills. Some of the data relating to other mechanics is stored in an entirely different place for some reason. And some of the numbers in the skills mean something else entirely, and you have to figure out what convoluted formula is used to get like the final result for something.

Oh and just a warning, the escape formula definitely got changed from EO3. Like it can still take a few turns for my max level party to run from a couple of Grasseaters.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

I am 100% sure that chase dance and rush dance can trigger links, as I've used that combo before I got sword dance and dual-wielding on my Dancer.

Counter Samba and Trick Samba can't trigger Links, but Chase Samba and Rush Dance can.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It got changed for the worst, running away is a total crapshoot.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

It's always fun when a group of 5 level 50 landsknechts can't run away from a single grasseater :v:

So the good news is my screen tear issue I've been having doesn't exist on my laptop, meaning I can actually record at 1x size instead of 4x size, giving me much more workable video. I do need to get a better microusb cable though, since the one I'm using right now isn't particularly good (random input with USB controllers levels of not good)

The bad news is because I've been fiddling with tech issues and gearing up for classes to start again, I haven't actually recorded the next update. Thanks to help from Dr. Fetus though, my enemy and player skill info in the future should be much more accurate. I had no idea that nearly every skill in the game had some kind of speed bonus/penalty, and I'll update past posts to reflect that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Something I didn't mention in my skill data stuff is that Sonic Raid and Double Strike can actually take on the effect of elemental forges, because the damage type depends on your weapon properties. So they do have a use of some sort.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A minor correction. Ragnar and I were looking into enemy data, and we found out that the TP stat isn't actually a real stat. It's simply a location ID. Enemies don't have TP in EO4 (and for that matter, EO3.) They might in Untold due to how Grimoires work, but who knows since we still can't crack into those games.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Gonna close for now. Technical difficulties making it very very hard to record.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Update 4: Thane of Tharsis 2008

Just a note, no music links for now until I finish moving everything over to clyp

------

First things first, we should probably heal up after that encounter. I usually end up staying until morning in EO4, there's not a lot you need to be out at night for, unlike EO3.

The cost is based off the highest level person in your party. Levelx5. It never reaches a point where it's too expensive really.

: *yaaaawn* Maaan, I feel like I was asleep for months.

: Well you better get up. It's already after 7.

: What!? That late already?

: Hans is waiting for us downstairs. We're going to the Grand Court to hand in the mission. Apparently the others are at the bar interviewing some new prospects for the guild.

: Wow, new members already? And we haven't even gotten our airship yet.

: There you two are, we don't want to keep the count waiting.

: I wasn't the one sleeping in.

: Ah, I see you're back already.

: Yep! And we've completed the mission!

: I now pronounce the Skybound Guild to be explorers of Tharsis with my official blessing! And of course, there is the other half of your reward to be given. Here you are, then...

500 en isn't much, but it'll help in getting gear together and stocking up on some supplies we now have access to.

We also get quite a bit of exp. 500 for each character, so they all level up.

: It's a vessel that sails the skies, powered by Iridescent Ore. You'll be searching for Yggdrasil on one.

: Yessss. Finally, our skyship.

: Do we even know anyone who can pilot one?

: I used to, but it's been a while and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

: Well we can ask the others when we meet up later.

: Yes, I hope you can get that all in order before takeoff. Your skyship is ready now at the city gates. Once you claim it, why not make the Lush Woodlands your first stop?

: Lush Woodlands?

: The Lush Woodlands is a large, natural labyrinth currently being investigated by many of our explorers.

: A geomagnetic pole.

: Yes, precisely!

I'll explain those when we get there, but they're a standard in EO games. Each stratum in the other games has one, and each major labyrinth in EO4 has one.

: Well then, may your way be clear!

: Hm?

: But we were just there.

: I'm guessing that's equipment for your skyship? Maybe that's why he can't give it to you by hand.

: Or he forgot.

: Hey, it happens when you get to be that old. Trust me.

: Okay... Well, let's go to the bar now. I wanna meet the new recruits.

Before I can get to that, Kirtida meets us at the door to tell us about quests.

: Here at the Dancing Peacock, you may accept quests and seek information from our patrons.

We already know about talking with the patrons, but quests are similar to the mission we accomplished earlier.

: Completion of these quests is met with commensurate rewards. Many explorers enjoy passing time in this way.

: Oooh, rewards?

: Sure, but we need to do some interviewing first. Now, where are the others?

: I think I see them over there.

------

: ... So I say to him, how could ya forget the threads? That's Explorer 101 right there!

: The straw that broke the crow's back, eh?

: Pretty much. The guild broke up after that and we decided to stick together looking for a new one.

: Threads? What?

: You're tellin' me you don't know what they are? Man, they're lettin' just anyone get explorin' licenses these days...

: Well, I mean... Uh... So, these are the prospects?

: Yep.

: So wait... You're supposed to be the leader? And you don't even know what an Ariadne Thread is!?

: To be fair to her, we just completed our first mission. Most cities don't let you purchase them until your guild is recognized.

: It never really came up either. I just assumed everyone here knew. It's a basic thing really.

: So we're looking at a guild with a complete newbie for a leader. Unbelievable.

: That was my exact reaction as well.

: You aren't helping here, Damien.

: :smith:

: It's okay though, we should head to the shop next anyways. The girl there will probably explain them to us, they usually do.

: If we're heading to the shop I'm coming along. I'm hoping they have a new pair of dancing shoes.

: Hmph, I could use a new blade. Out of the guild coffers, of course.

: Hm, well, okay. I guess it's up to you two now. I'm fine with more people in our guild, so you can decide if you're joining us.

-----

: ... They're gone. Meh, I'm fine with it I suppose, I don't really care. I need to be in some sorta guild, I still don't have the cash to get my guitar fixed... You?

: Well... Everyone else there seems to know what they're doin'. I guess we could make it work.

-----

: Oh yeah, before we leave, Kirtida said she had some quests for us now.

As you can see, there's three quests here. They're all pretty simple. They're basically the same as missions. You accept the quest, then hand it in. You can have 5 at a time.

Typically though, they're much smaller undertakings than missions. Whereas quests are usually like, "get this thing for me," missions will normally be "beat the stratum boss," or bigger things like that.

There's also a lot of new conversations. I'll hit these in the next update, since I'll also grab all the new town conversations we get after passing the test.

For now I'll grab all the quests.

After accepting, we'll get a little spiel about what the quest entails.

: So your task would be to gather food and drop it off for them.

: That doesn't sound too hard.

That's our first available quest. We don't actually know how to do this one until we get to the airship, but it's fairly straightforward. Get food, drop off food.

: He wants you to search for a small grove of kapok trees.

: Why didn't he ask while we were there?

: He probably forgot.

Sometimes the game will have you talk to an NPC or bar patron to get more info about it. The count has a couple of these scouting quests throughout the game, so we'll be seeing more later. I'll talk to him about it once we get the airship.

: They can supply you with more details of the task at the Atelier. I shall await your swift return.

: A new sword, huh?

Kirtida always signs off with that line, by the by. I'll be cutting down on these and just showing her lines in future updates.

: "So I want yas to get me two of dem Rat Fangs. Dem Tree Rats out in da Lush Woodlands drop em.

: Tree rats?

: Common in the Etrian labyrinth, if I remember. I guess they live here too?

Oddly, she doesn't emphasize Lush Woodlands. I almost expected her to.

: Oh, that's good.

: "I'm counting on yas! Buh-bye!"

: Wait, bye? We just got here.

The info about the quest plays before her spiel about threads, for some reason. Also there's quotation marks here. Not sure why. The game is pretty inconsistent about that.

: Now we can finally sell yas dem Ariadne Threads.

Arguably the most important item in the Etrian Odyssey series, maybe next to Amritas. They're your lifeline in the dungeon so to speak.

: Every explorer gots to have an Ariadne Thread. It takes ya back ta Tharsis wherever ya use it from.

: Wait so they're just another name for Warp Wires? I read about those in my old dusty runemaster textbooks.

: They must've been old alright. They haven't been called warp wires in an incredibly long time.

: Well no wonder everyone was acting like they're so important.

: For sure!

At 100 en they're a bit pricey at the moment, but that'll be chump change later. In casual mode they have unlimited uses, so you only need the one. I buy one for now, we should only ever need one as long as we remember to rebuy it.

: Better safe than sorry! Now, let's go get our airship!

And the last of our town NPCs... Is this guy.

The quotation marks are back I guess?

: Yeah! That's us!

: "I got a request from the Outland Count to prepare yeh a skyship.

---------------

And here we go. It's time to Name the skyship. Just like with the guild name, I'll be taking votes in the thread. Suggest a name in bold.

As a note, on my first playthrough I named it Bahamut and on subsequent playthroughs Tiamat, if there's no suggestions (which I mean, there will be) I'll probably go with Tiamat again.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Tempest.

Glad to see this back, by the way.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

GOONSHIP.

I'm surprised this LP is still alive in all honestly. Archives being dead sure worked out for the Thane of Tharsis 2008, huh?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Delphinus doesn't fit, does it?

Delphi

W.T. Fits posted:

Glad to see this back, by the way.

Ditto

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tempest

Glad to see this back as well.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
The Mary Celesta.

Count me in on those who are glad to see your return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Dagron

• Locked thread