Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's take this away from "this is a bad class" to "how can we make it work?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The easiest option is just to make the physical attacks scale with Tec, or vice versa. It might be kind of a boring class, but there's the flavor at least. And maybe it could have some sort of row switching gimmick to take advantage of multiple ranges.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Make it overpowered as hell instead of weakshit.

As long as it does so in an awesome fashion, it'll be fine.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ok, so maybe the Rune Fencer has a passive where... Oh! The weapon the rune fencer is holding gets it's attribute+attack added to any spell the Rune Fencer casts!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hello? Anyone there?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Junpei posted:

Hello? Anyone there?

We have an Etrian Odyssey general discussion thread for this kind of discussion.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

W.T. Fits posted:

We have an Etrian Odyssey general discussion thread for this kind of discussion.

Sorry. Can you copy paste my discussion there so I can continue it?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I remember when I restarted my playthrough of EO4 I asked my friends which classes to choose from, and I ended up with the exact same party. I think they really wanted to make it hard for me. Actually ended up being easier by far, partially because the Dancer's a great support and partially because EO4 in general's super balanced.

...Now if they gave me repeating classes, I think it'd be a lot harder, haha.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Junpei posted:

Sorry. Can you copy paste my discussion there so I can continue it?

Feels like that one might be on you, chief.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
This LP makes me want to start my current game over and play along.

Maybe do a 5 dancer party again.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This LP makes me want to start my current game over and play along.

Maybe do a 5 dancer party again.

Why do you hate yourself?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Why do you hate yourself?

Isn't that setup really overpowered, though?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't that setup really overpowered, though?

Not until level 40. Until then your only form of offense is plinking away at enemies.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Well, level 20 would be nice, with the samba's combining with Sword Dance, but yeah, you're not really going anywhere fast until Beat Dance.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
It really isn't that bad, they all follow up on eachother and once they start hitting 20 they have chases coming out like crazy.

Fan dance being maxed out is mandatory though.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I feel like I remember a youtube video of 5 dancers stun-locking the pumpkins for over 300 turns, doing 1 damage per hit and stunning them literally every single turn.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ShadeofBlue posted:

I feel like I remember a youtube video of 5 dancers stun-locking the pumpkins for over 300 turns, doing 1 damage per hit and stunning them literally every single turn.

Well, yeah, when you have 5 Mist Dancers, each with maxed out sword dance and probably blade flurry, that's pretty much what's gonna happen.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've made some edits to the first two updates to add new stuff that's come up, namely what the Grasseater's skill does, and Leg Snipe in the second update. Now that I have something coded up to parse the skill table names, I can properly dig around the skill tables. I should be able to get an update out hopefully soon.

Sorry for the delays. I wanted to make sure I had everything good to go for the next bit.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Sorry for the wait! Finals are over, so I have time to update again.

Update 3: Old Forest Mine

Look at all the trees...

Doesn't look like much of a mine.

Here's what walking around looks like. Right now our bottom screen is blank, and we kinda don't have a sense of direction.

Everything looks the same.

That's a labyrinth for you. There's a reason they are called as such.

Eenie, meenie, miney, left.

We go left first. As you'll see later, the area on the right is just a little loop.

Hm? What's that?

You pick it up and see that it is a shining, golden locket, with space for a small picture inside. Could another explorer have dropped this...? If you are curious, you can try opening the locket.

Hah! Finders keepers!

It may belong to someone else here.

He's right though. That's the first rule of the labyrinth.

I wonder what's inside...

O-oh!

Sorry...

We're guild Skybound.

Me, I'm Whirlwind," he says. "Though that's really just a nickname.. Nice meeting you, Skybound Guild. You're here for some Iridescent Ore? Yeah, I think there's still some to be had in this Old Forest Mine. How do I know? Because I'm the one who found it in the first place.

Yes. The Count said someone found some.

Pretty lucky too. The town was in a tough pickle...

A treasure map!

It looks very incomplete.

Hm? The map's only half done? Well, that makes this a great chance to learn to draw your own!

With that, the man points to the blank map you've opened and explains how to draw in it...

Try and reproduce the walls and floors as you walk through the dungeon. Your map is an invaluable survival tool.

And we finally get our map! EO4 is pretty interesting in that it makes you do a bit without a map. Probably to make you appreciate it more. It's really easy to get lost without one.

The controls are fairly basic, though thanks to the 3DS's circle pad, it's super easy to double check the rest of your map. This is a big QOL change that I really miss going back to the older games.

The basics are really simple, and haven't changed at all from past games. New from EO3, is we have a 4th color. Since our ground is green like EO1 and EO2, it freed up blue for water.

We use icons to mark things, and can make memos on spaces when more detail is needed. I use memos. A lot. To mark everything.

The man laughs, though you are not sure this is a joking matter.

I don't really have a good sense of direction...

I can maintain the map. I've been a good distance into the High Lagaard Labyrinth with my past guild.

I propose we take turns! I'd like to keep my mapmaking skills above a C-level.

Snrk...

But seriously, you need to learn to draw a map if you're going to chase Yggdrasil. That map's your lifeline. When you think you're done with your map of this Old Forest Mine, bring it here and I'll look it over for you.

You glance at the map he gave you and decide to begin your search anew.

Let's just get our bearings here.

The map will mostly remain zoomed in unless I zoom out to look at something.

Your hand is incredibly steady drawing those lines.

Writing scriptures and practicing with a blade, though writing on a map is as simple as a breath. It's actually quite easy.

Our lines snap to the grid, and the game does a pretty good job of it.

I see a sparkle!

Well, I can't swim.

And I'd prefer my knives don't rust.

We'll just go around and...

Look out!

Tch, so they're here too...

Roller
HP: 36
TP: 12
STR: 4
VIT: 6
AGI: 8
LUC: 7
TEC: 6
Attack Type: Bash
Exp: 67
Drops
1: Hard Skin (70%)
2: Roller Shell (50%)
Gold Drop: None

Resistances
: 075% : 075% : 075%
: 125% : 125% : 125%

Ailments/Binds
: 100% : 100% : 100%
: 075% : 100% : 100%

Skills
Rush Attack: 150% damage melee bash physical attack to one target

Basically a slightly tankier Grasseater. They have higher VIT, and resist physical attacks, but are otherwise weaker. They're really just a tutorial on using elemental skills.

Pressing R lets us see enemy info. It'd actually show us some stats if we had seen the Roller here before. Though, the weaknesses would only be "weak/resist" and not hard numbers. AT is STR and DF is VIT.

Somehow I managed to grab a frame inbetween here... Anyways, Butterfly just attacks for now.

Seth sets up a Regen Waltz, though it doesn't come up.

And everyone else just attacks. Despite resisting physical, the Rollers aren't all that strong with how offensive our party is.

I -hate- rollers!

In fact, We kill it before it gets to even move using only attacks. I'm not actually sure where my shots of the attacks went, but Suzume got the last hit

But I wanted to test my fireball...

A small amount of EXP for just one Roller. It gets divided evenly amongst the party. I was sorta lucky and got both drops!

When you first encounter enemies and items, after the battle the game will tell you.

Maybe I should take the map for now... Oh?

These flowers look funny. Kinda like there's a space in the vegetation.

Hrgh-!.. It's no use, I can't push through

It's a shortcut. When we reach the other side, we'll be able to pass through.

I'll mark it down then!

That's a good idea, marking the other side like that.

You're keeping up with the walls I hope.

I am, geeze...

It's pretty important to keep drawing walls as you go. The automap in this game only places green paint as you walk along. If you don't, you can end up a bit lost. These extra paths here just lead to some twists and turns though.

Hah! Gotcha!

Along the way I get a pre-emptive strike.

They aren't much though. I'm mostly not going to show battles unless something interesting happens.

Uh...

Is that a baboon?

You know that there is no shame in avoiding unnecessary combat... A wise explorer picks his battles. If you wish to avoid an encounter, study the monster's movements and slip past it!

More like a badboon. That's an FOE for sure with how large it is.

Pffthehe... S-sorry... We should definitely avoid that thing.

Meet FOEs, Field On Enemies or Formido Oppugnatura Exsequens. No longer orange fuzzballs of death, in the realm of 3D, actual models of the enemies roam around now. Thankfully they're shown on our map.

New to EO4 are threat ratings. Despite just being based off your level they're actually pretty accurate. In later games they end up inaccurate due to the wild balance issues of some parties being much much better at killing FOEs than they have any right to be.

Consistent throughout the series though is the battle meter, and the FOE meter. It's very useful in cases where FOEs don't show up on our map, or turn invisible or the like.

Another thing to be careful of. If an FOE bumps into you while you're in battle they absolutely will join the fight. Due to the threat they pose it's important to end the fight quick or run away.

This is the path Mr. Baboon takes.

It's pretty easy to get past him. You just walk back and forth until he turns around, then follow him down the path.

Careful... Careful... Phew!

Hm? What's that at the end of the path?

This is a plant called a Traveler's Friend, prized by explorers for the way it stores water in its stalks. If you are thirsty, you can nibble at the stalk, though if you are wary of monsters, you may wish to leave.

Oh! I know of these plants. They have water in their stems.

Well I guess I'm a bit thirsty.

More out of curiosity than actual thirst, you decide to nibble the stalk of the Traveller's Friend. The water stored within has a raw smell to it, but it still helps to alleviate some of you exhaustion.

That was actually pretty good!

I kinda want more...

Uh... guys?

That sure is a lot of bugs.

Watch out, they want to fight!

Despite being a bit nicer, EO4 is still an EO game. It was nice to not throw later enemies, or an ambush at us.

The setup. Due to sheer numbers, this fight actually goes a bit poorly and they land some damage.

That sure is... A dance.

Why thank you, I've worked on it for quite a while.

It's invigorating!

Ow...

Stay focused, they're a threat in a group this large.

... Especially when they gang up on you.

Yeah, if they had both used Jump Kick there, Suzume would've been under threat of dying this fight.

Urgh... Eat ice you oversized grasshopper! :argh:

Hah! Burn to the ground!

Oh...

Splash effects are counted as separate attacks and have their own chance of missing.

Everyone, CHARGE!

Since they're all weak I set it to auto-battle. Basically, everyone does a randomly-targeted regular attack to the first row this turn.

It goes Okay. I probably should've set up Regen Waltz last turn instead of Attack Tango.

You take that thought to heart and resume your search with even more care than before.

Hah... that was tough...

I can't believe we got attacked there.

I'll be honest, I didn't even know that event was there until this playthrough.

Well, it's not happening again.

Another battle. Everyone is starting to get a bit low for my tastes this early on.

My blades feel sharper.

Though I get a level up!

And promptly forget to spend the skill points.

Hm... I wonder...

Darn. Nothing.

... Why did you lead us back here?

It seemed like the perfect spot for buried treasure!

Might I suggest we stop monkeying around? The baboon is coming this way.

Uh....

This way!

Phew!

Okay, my turn with the map now.

Aw...

We just have to walk back around. One-way shortcuts aren't very common.

Okay, that one stung...

Any solutions?

I think I have one, yeah.

So now I spend my skill points.

Call me Doctor Butterfly!

Bandage heals 10 HP for 2 TP at level 1. An okay trade, especially this early.

I wonder if I slide my foot...

Attack tango is now a 123% boost.

Cold to the touch...

Ice knife now does 164% damage.

It is time for them to chill out.

The same as fire rune, but with ice. +15% damage increase, -25% damage taken for and from ice skills.

The shoulder seems like a weakpoint.

120% damage, with a 45% chance to bind the arms.

Then, in the skills menu, I have Butterfly heal up the front row.

There, all patched up.

I'm surprised, I actually feel better.

Hey, I know my way around a bandage!

Ah, that shortcut.

Allow me;

There. It should remain open.

That's convenient.

This door doesn't really match the surroundings.

Yes, it's quite ominous.

But our ore is behind it. We have to go through.

But have a care! The wandering beasts will hunt you mercilessly even while you mine for minerals!

We'll have to get around them.

Well that's obvious. We watch the pattern again.

There is a limit to how many times you can Take, Chop, or Mine a point per day, but the limit resets the next day. Make good use of these skills during your adventures.

Yeah, harvesting points got a big overhaul in EO4. They have a set limit per point, and the skills simply give you a chance of getting extra materials.

These guys just go in a loop like this.

Okay, go!

I sense monsters nearby...

This area has a lower encounter rate. Even though the orb is red, we don't get into battle yet.

Path over there, that's how we get out!

Noted.

Mine Point (3):
Common - Slate
Rare - Iridescent Ore

I don't know the actual rates on these, but it isn't hard to figure out what's common and what's rare. Some points have more items to gather.

Thankfully, I think the game is coded here to always give you two Slates and an Iridiscent Ore. I don't think I've gotten a different payout my first time through the Old Forest Mine.

This has to be it!

It's stunning.

The ore won after many tense moments near powerful monsters is lighter than you'd imagined and feels fragile... After you finish exulting in your accomplishment, you stow the shining stone and begin your trek back.

This is what happens when you try to gather from an exhausted spot.

Hello there.

Wh-when did he sneak up on us?

Using a gathering point takes one turn, as you'll note our FOE meter was increasing.

Oh, nice, a shortcut back to the start!

And something nicer behind us...

Booty!

I wonder what's inside.

I doubt it's priceless, but it might be something useful for beginners. A nectar perhaps?

Someone help me pry it open.

:geno:

Well that was disappointing.

I'll note it down anyways.

The clover icon is the chest. It made more sense when chests actually had clovers on them in past games.

Let's just get back to to-

Dumb bugs had to get one more battle in.

Anyways, our loop done, let's show our map to Whirlwind.

Hey, Whirlwind!

I'd say it's pretty accurate. I'm missing an event in the upper left corner, but we'll be back.

This is nicely done, considering the time it took. I'm surprised how well drawn it is! Looks complete to me.

Awesome, I was worried my section would be really wobbly...

I guess you could call us graduated-map makers now!

:geno:

... As I was saying,This is your map and yours alone. You never know when you might need it again, so take good care of it.

Pffheeehehehe, o-of course. Ahem. A map is what connects an explorer to Yggdrasil itself.

Yep! It's quite pretty. I'd like to keep a piece!

And I'm sure it'd fetch a pretty penny.

You can always come back for more tomorrow. Anyway, that wraps it up for your mission.

The man congratulates you and you thank him before parting ways.

Let's get back to Tharsis everyone. I'm beat.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 2 slates and an iridescent ore is what I've always gotten too.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh, yay, this got an update! :neckbeard:

I feel like this party is more or less the best one to take at this point, mainly because having a Dancer and tossing around Medicas are enough to keep the party topped off, instead of a dedicated Medic or a Fortress to take hits. Never invested in Bandage before, but I'll guess it's one of those skills that's only good early on?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh cool, you use the auto walk symbols to mark the side of a shortcut too. Though you didn't draw the path downwards in the bottom right, even if you never get the chance to walk there.

Though in true EO LP fashion, you should've charged forward and faced the baboon. :atlus:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I know I didn't get an Iridescent Ore on at least one playthrough, though maybe going back to town to rest had something to do with it

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So, full disclosure, the goon who got me into Etrian Odyssey have been playing along running PbP game here on the forums, and we've taken to naming our explorers after characters of that game. So for fun we apped a couple to this game, and I gotta say you nailed Butterfly's ditziness. :allears: Keep doing what you're doing.

Though where are you getting those hard statistics on enemies and abilities? I didn't know there was any place with that much detail.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

So, full disclosure, the goon who got me into Etrian Odyssey have been playing along running PbP game here on the forums, and we've taken to naming our explorers after characters of that game. So for fun we apped a couple to this game, and I gotta say you nailed Butterfly's ditziness. :allears: Keep doing what you're doing.

Though where are you getting those hard statistics on enemies and abilities? I didn't know there was any place with that much detail.

Tyty is datamining the game iirc.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Tyty is datamining the game iirc.

Yeah, he's pulling the data directly from the game's files. EO4 doesn't have anywhere near the documentation that 1-3 have.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

So, full disclosure, the goon who got me into Etrian Odyssey and I have been playing in a long running PbP game here on the forums, and we've taken to naming our explorers after characters of that game. So for fun we apped a couple to this game, and I gotta say you nailed Butterfly's ditziness. :allears: Keep doing what you're doing.

Agreed. You've managed to pretty much nail her perfectly, sight unseen.

vdate fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 18, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 2 slates and an iridescent ore is what I've always gotten too.

Same here. I imagine if you don't screw up something by going back or taking a nap, the game forces that to happen to streamline things.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Krysmphoenix posted:

What system is this game run in? Cause I've been thinking of reskinning an existing system so my group could play an EO themed game

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

What system is this game run in? Cause I've been thinking of reskinning an existing system so my group could play an EO themed game

Oh god no. This wasn't reskinned. The game is Exalted. I wouldn't dream of reskinning that system for ANYTHING. We were naming EO characters after our Exalted characters.

As for TRPGs to reskin into EO...I would probably recommend Fate (reskins in to everything well, though it's loose rules give no EO style crunch), Ryuutama (focuses far more on exploration than combat, can literally play a farmer), and 13th Age (it's close to D&D 4e design except with a freeform skill system, and combat grid split into abstract distances that could easily turn into rows).

EDIT: Honorable mention to Meikyuu Kingdom which is a post-apocalyptic game where dungeons take over the world, and your civilization lives in a reclaimed dungeon. Refluff the dungeons into stratums and put a Yggdrasil somewhere and you have an EO RPG. It's a Japanese RPG though, heard there have been a few attempts to translate it with...varying success.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Ah, okay then. I'm not really a fan of Fate, and I was already leaning towards 13th Age or Dungeon World, but I'll be sure to check out Ryuutama and Meikyuu Kingdom.

Thanks for the recs!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been nice if Nightseekers got a pasive that was like the Ninja class from EO3, the one that removed the attack penalty from the back row with a melee weapon?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nightseekers do not need more advantages.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

Nightseekers do not need more advantages.

But Nightseekers are fragile, right?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yes, but they also don't need more advantages.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

Yes, but they also don't need more advantages.

I thought this game was balanced.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's balanced with all the different classes, but you can still break this game in half if you know what you're doing.

So the staple of an Atlus game, really.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

I thought this game was balanced.

Yes

The downside for their crazy damage is that they're as fragile as wet paper. It's a common way for EO games to balance high-damage front line classes, especially those that rely on status effects . Dark Hunters, Ronin, Shogun, Arbalists, Rapier Pirates, Nightseekers. All of them can't really take a hit as a countermeasure for them being able to do some absolutely dumb poo poo.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tyty posted:

Yes

The downside for their crazy damage is that they're as fragile as wet paper. It's a common way for EO games to balance high-damage front line classes, especially those that rely on status effects . Dark Hunters, Ronin, Shogun, Arbalists, Rapier Pirates, Nightseekers. All of them can't really take a hit as a countermeasure for them being able to do some absolutely dumb poo poo.

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Junpei posted:

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

You don't really use throws for damage in the first place. You use them for status effects.

And for murdering randoms with Venom Throw.

• Locked thread