Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Ooh yay! Someone finally LPs the only EO game I actually played to completion!

Let's go with Landsknecht, Dancer, and Sniper. Lands and Dancer keep procing off each other, and you gotta have that Sniper for binds.

And a character, Butterfly the Landsknecht (black-hair female). She may seem as sweet and gentle as her namesake implies, but the prodigy of Runemaster Academy dropped out in search of a more...hands-on application of magical theories. Or at least that's what her classmates think. In truth she just wanted to become a sky pirate and every sky pirate needs a cool sword

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure that each Etrian Odyssey game has classes you unlock along the way is not a spoiler. It's in the interface. What those classes are and do...yeah, spoiler.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

AmewTheFox posted:

Honestly, one of the best changes. It's so much easier to read this way, along with what skills lead into what. Glad they kept it going forward.

oh my god yes. I started with EO4 and went back to EO3 on an emulator and god the skill column is so annoying to read and plan around. I might just pass on it and go buy the Untold games.

Clarste posted:

Dividing the tree into three sections by level was an iffier decision though. It makes sense for the proficiencies, but other than that it feels pretty arbitrary to me. Mostly it just encourages you to rest at 22 and 42 to make less stupid builds.

Hey, Rest only costs 2 levels instead of 5, so it's way more tolerable.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So, full disclosure, the goon who got me into Etrian Odyssey have been playing along running PbP game here on the forums, and we've taken to naming our explorers after characters of that game. So for fun we apped a couple to this game, and I gotta say you nailed Butterfly's ditziness. :allears: Keep doing what you're doing.

Though where are you getting those hard statistics on enemies and abilities? I didn't know there was any place with that much detail.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

What system is this game run in? Cause I've been thinking of reskinning an existing system so my group could play an EO themed game

Oh god no. This wasn't reskinned. The game is Exalted. I wouldn't dream of reskinning that system for ANYTHING. We were naming EO characters after our Exalted characters.

As for TRPGs to reskin into EO...I would probably recommend Fate (reskins in to everything well, though it's loose rules give no EO style crunch), Ryuutama (focuses far more on exploration than combat, can literally play a farmer), and 13th Age (it's close to D&D 4e design except with a freeform skill system, and combat grid split into abstract distances that could easily turn into rows).

EDIT: Honorable mention to Meikyuu Kingdom which is a post-apocalyptic game where dungeons take over the world, and your civilization lives in a reclaimed dungeon. Refluff the dungeons into stratums and put a Yggdrasil somewhere and you have an EO RPG. It's a Japanese RPG though, heard there have been a few attempts to translate it with...varying success.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 19, 2015

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
You know how I said Butterfly was a former Runemaster? :getin: We're going to Linktown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

If the land based guild is Skybound, the then sky based ship should be Landbound... no, that's 9 letters.

I like this train of thought, the airship should be named Boundless, even if the character limitations are there we all know what it really means. Maybe Butterfly just started doodling the name on the side and ran out of space.

• Locked thread