Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Sheesh, what is this? Etrian Odyssey Appreciation Season?

Also, where did you get those renders? Did you rip them yourself?

Captain Bravo posted:

Aww poo poo, Dr. Fetus is gonna shank a bitch! :gonk:

But seriously, I say we stick with Guild Awesome, and give it some awesome teammembers!

Namely, Prock the Medic (He's a doctor and a professor) portrait 3B

Initial party members Medic, Landschnect, and Runemaster

:confused: Not sure what you're getting at here. I had no plans to cover any of the 3DS titles. Also, little late to the party there. Someone's already covering EO1.

You seemed to have left something extra in those enemy bios. Plague isn't an ailment in this game! Or was that leftover code from EO3? Kind of weird how EO4 resused a lot mechanically from it, considering how most other EO games basically overhaul everything. Though this game did have a different director while Komori went on to work on the Untold games. As for a character...

Damien the Nightseeker. Portrait 1A.

A greedy man who gets way too much of a thrill out of killing. Doesn't really like helping others unless it benefits him in some way.

Nightseeker, Landsknecht, and Fortress.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

This should prove to be an interesting run, considering Tyty's datamining the info. You actually can't find in depth info like that for the 3DS EO games online because until recently, nobody's bothered to crack open the files. You could for the DS games (Except for EO2 for some odd reason. No idea why that game lacks info.)

Also, I am totally for Skybound as our guild name.

SC Bracer posted:

Medics are honestly pretty boring in this game for being really good at healing when the game is easily doable by being just good enough at healing. I also have similar feelings on fortresses seeing as tanks are boring in this game.

Gonna go with NS, Landshark, Runemaster.

It's funny, because their healing skills have really similar healing modifiers as the healing skills in EO3, and the healing formula stayed exactly the same between games. But Monks were really good supports throughout the entire game, while Medics fall off hard past the first Stratum. Wonder what changed.

RareAcumen posted:

I still have no idea how people are doing LPs of 3DS games.

You have to get your 3DS modded to put in capture cards, which involves spending hundreds of bucks and mailing your 3DS away for a long time. That's a pretty big reason why there aren't that many 3DS game LPs here, but that's the only way to do one so far.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If you're thinking about getting an EO game, EO4 is a very good place to start. It has a demo so you can see if you'll like it or not. Also covers a decent chunk of game at the beginning. And it's a lot more user friendly than the first three EO games. Those are kind of dated and have remakes that are easier to digest. (Well, there's not one for EO3 yet. Though I think that one holds up the best out of all the DS titles.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

The Untold games added their own huge improvements too, some that seemed so natural that going back to EO4 felt odd. Like, you can't see the enemy's buffs in EO4. I feel like the series has just been getting better and better over time (Grimoires aside, but that's probably just a concession to a fixed story party. I hope.)

I like the nimble fencer-type Landsharks in this game way better than the standard heavy knights from previous games though.

Another thing I miss in the earlier EO games. Being able to see the enemies' resistances to ailments. (well, sorta. EO2U didn't have exact numbers or anything, but some indication is better than none at all.) Especially considering that EO4 is when status effects became really good, and a viable strategy to put into your party. I love running ailment parties in these games. Disable the enemy, and beat the tar out of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yay, mine got chosen! :buddy:

Chose one of the Punmasters, huh? Guess you want to see the pun making mages live on. :v:

You sure you're gonna be okay without a Medic this early?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

I've always seen this game as one where tanking and defensive playstyles aren't very effective. Support characters like Fortresses and Medics were basically useless for me, Nightseekers and Runemasters all day :whatup:

Whoa. Medics may have taken a hit, but Fortresses are plenty useful. It's just that tanks aren't a must have class anymore. They make life easier for squishy parties, though they're not as necessary in sturdy ones.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Might want to edit that out, because I'm pretty sure those are spoilers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

They actually started being all hush hush about the classes on the websites starting from EO3. Well they gave you their names, but what those classes did were a secret. Within the games, they stopped spoiling the class names starting from EO3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

But... Almost none of those classes are exactly like a Landskencht... So why?

It's a joke.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Even though if you asked for no spoilers, it sounds like you don't have a text dump for the game. Fortunately, I have one. You don't have PMs, so I couldn't send it to you through there. There's spoilers in there obviously, but you'd have to dig through the files.

Also you're missing Kiritida's mugshots and have stray italic tags.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It does create weird and arbitrary power spikes since the stronger abilities are pretty much locked behind level requirements. You might just end up saving a lot of skill points for later because the skills in your current section aren't worth investing into. Like a class suddenly goes from kinda decent to all out powerful because they couldn't have access to one of their key abilities for the early and mid game.

Krysmphoenix posted:

oh my god yes. I started with EO4 and went back to EO3 on an emulator and god the skill column is so annoying to read and plan around. I might just pass on it and go buy the Untold games.

There is a skill sim for EO3 that can help get around that issue. But yeah, EO3 is dated in places.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tyty posted:

: ... and dot the i's... Done!

:raise:

Tyty posted:

Proficiency increases damage to targets with ailments 10 200%, doubling it. Unfortunately we don't have any yet.

Oh, and there's a typo.

The Runemaster's runes are actually additive effects, not multiplicative. Could help with getting certain conditional drops.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

I know one of the Medics throughout the series bears a resemblance to Derek Stiles. Or at least, I think.

There's an actual appearance from him in the 2nd game. Though he got taken out of the remake.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Or the Gunner.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

War Edge skills, in both the original EO2 and EO2U, require status ailments to actually do stuff and aren't actually slash damage (they're untyped for damage calculations, although I think they count as slash for conditional drops). I think that qualifies for at least some definition of "magic."

Also Landsknechts in their EO1/2 form have the elemental Chasers, even if they are complete and utter garbage.

In the original EO2, all of them were untyped skills. In EO2U, they're Cut/Almighty, so they can take advantage of Cut weaknesses there at least.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The only game where a generalist build is legitimately good is EO1, because of how that game was designed. Ironically, specializing in that game does more harm than good for your team. Just ask the Ronin and the Hexer. For all the other games, it's just better to specialize because of how skill points are handled. They're not easy to come by, and investing in like 2 or more skill trees at once is not feasible until late or post-game in most games where you can do that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't that setup really overpowered, though?

Not until level 40. Until then your only form of offense is plinking away at enemies.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 2 slates and an iridescent ore is what I've always gotten too.

Same here. I imagine if you don't screw up something by going back or taking a nap, the game forces that to happen to streamline things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Junpei posted:

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

Ninjas are not good damage dealers. They're supports. Nightseekers do not need anymore buffs. They are the strongest class in the game. And the throws deal terrible damage at all levels, 80%. So those aren't meant for dealing damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Supremezero posted:

So I noticed while typing this. The I in Legends of Titan is capitalized in the thread title.

This bothers me.

Huh. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. How'd that slip by for over a month?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nightseekers have the best damage steroid in the game. Their class skills give them a massive damage boost against enemies with ailments, and they have a really good damage boosting passive on top of that. No other class compares to it because they don't have any damage boosts on the level of what the Nightseeker's passives gives them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There is also nothing in the game difficult enough (aside from one optional thing) that warrants running the most overpowered party setups to get past. The game is easy enough as long as you don't make any really dumb mistakes. Or make several small dumb mistakes over a short period of time. And not everyone likes running the most overpowered setups because that can make the game boring for them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EO4 is now on sale for $10 on the NA eshop. Pretty good deal for that price.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

Blind and paralysis also guarantee every hit will land. But isn't the number of links that can be triggered by a single attack capped at like 3-4?

Yes, each action can only proc a maximum of 4 chases, and only the first followup per skill is guaranteed. Each followup after that only has a 50% chance of activating, so you want as many multi-hit skills in the party as possible in a Link party. You want to roll the dice as much as possible to get the maximum damage. Link parties do not play nice with classes that deal one big hit instead of several smaller ones.

However a character taking multiple actions (Through the Nightseeker's Blade Flurry or the Dancer's Sword Dance) isn't considered to be the same thing as a multi-hit skill. Each proc from Sword Dance will guarantee that a chase follows it, and it ignores the 4 chase cap. Unless the Landsknecht runs into the cap from Improved Link, in which case the Links will flat out stop.

Tyty posted:

Attacks a row multiple times. This is the reason I prefer the rapier tree over the sword tree. It requires a lot less work to keep your Landy going first, and on average does more damage. Just be careful against enemies that summon helpers, as you'll lose a lot of your upfront damage. I'm unsure the chances of it hitting 4 times or not.

If it's like EO3, the game has an equal chance of landing each number of hits. So it's a 50-50 chance for 3 or 4 hits. I think EO2 was the last (and only) time they weighted the number of hits in a multi-hit skill.

And it took me until now to realize that Swift Stab is essentially a slightly better Blade Rave. Too bad Links are way stronger. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 30, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tyty posted:

Hum. I could've sworn I was getting more hits from my Squall Volleys. I'll update the post though since it looks like I was just reading the data wrong. I went to double check with what the @wiki has on the skill and it confused me a bit. The skill does only define max links and TP cost, and nothing more.

Yeah, sometimes the skill data doesn't actually contain all the data for the skills. Some of the data relating to other mechanics is stored in an entirely different place for some reason. And some of the numbers in the skills mean something else entirely, and you have to figure out what convoluted formula is used to get like the final result for something.

Oh and just a warning, the escape formula definitely got changed from EO3. Like it can still take a few turns for my max level party to run from a couple of Grasseaters.

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

I am 100% sure that chase dance and rush dance can trigger links, as I've used that combo before I got sword dance and dual-wielding on my Dancer.

Counter Samba and Trick Samba can't trigger Links, but Chase Samba and Rush Dance can.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Something I didn't mention in my skill data stuff is that Sonic Raid and Double Strike can actually take on the effect of elemental forges, because the damage type depends on your weapon properties. So they do have a use of some sort.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A minor correction. Ragnar and I were looking into enemy data, and we found out that the TP stat isn't actually a real stat. It's simply a location ID. Enemies don't have TP in EO4 (and for that matter, EO3.) They might in Untold due to how Grimoires work, but who knows since we still can't crack into those games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tempest

Glad to see this back as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd say EO4 has more nighttime exclusive encounters, but that's because the game does this weird thing where only one formation changed at night. (Old Forest Mine has an encounter formation that consists of a Grasseater and Roller at day, which changes into 4 Grasseaters at night.) Though if there are actually enemies exclusive to nighttime, it does change up the enemy formations significantly. No idea why the game does the minor changes, as they're almost pointless. None of the other games do something like that (Especially EO1 and 2, which couldn't implement time of day exclusive encounters.) Though mechanically, EO4 does quite a bit differently than the Komori directed games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I was curious about that, so I grabbed the text out of the game.

quote:

You pack the [FOOD VARIABLE] in a wooden crate and lower it to the soldiers. They eagerly open the box. After checking over the contents, they hang their heads in obvious disappointment... However, the request specified that you deliver food, and that you have done. The request is now complete! You can turn it in the next time you find yourself at the bar.

quote:

Welcome back. You had no trouble delivering the food, I take it? Then here is the promised reward. Perhaps I should have you find some food to serve at my establishment... By the way... you should know that the food you delivered made the soldiers take ill and cut short their journey. I wonder what happened...? If you are explorers too, you will have to manage your health better than they did.

quote:

You can see smoke from the soldiers’ campfire as they cook the food... As you steer your skyship past, you see something fly by you! It is a smattering of arrows! You look below you to see the soldiers drawing their bows and aiming the next volley at your skyship. They seem to be angry about something. You quickly veer off before the irate soldiers hit you.

I have no idea if that actually does anything to your party members or the ship.

Doing this actually lowers the reward to 2 Medicas and 100 exp per party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

We can turn StreetPass on or off, check our save file's Player Code (I don't think it's actually used for anything?), or generate Extra Data. EOIIU uses EOU's Extra Data to generate Grimoires based off your party members, but I don't believe any of the future titles ues EOIV's.

Yeah, EO5 doesn't make use of EO4's extra data. Also as far as I can tell, the extra data just a copy of the player's save data. So either something grand was planned for it (Unlikely), or it was made for a "just in case" sort of thing. (Very likely)

• Locked thread