Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

EO4 was my first real experience with the series, aside from a brief stint with Untold 1. I love 4 so much, I really hope 5 is closer to this than it is the Untold game when it eventually gets made. Untold 2 is really good, just picked that up a few days ago. But 4 did a big overhaul for a fair number of things, especially the skill tress, that helps streamline everything and keep things at an even pace. I'm really interested to see some of the numbers going on in the background, especially for the Nightseeker class. That thing can pull off some absurd damage with the right setup.

Nightseeker, Landsknecht, Protector should make a good front line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Provoke is actually useful in this game, so that automatically makes Fortresses good. Plus their damage mitigation might not be as direct as "No damage from this one specific element" but the party wide buffs are still quite good. Plus, I kind of hate those types of mitigation skills anyway. I much prefer a generalist, damage soaking tank.

"Oh, the monster wreathed in flames did a party wide physical attack? Meh, gently caress you. Oh, you thought the blue enemy used ice skills? Nope! Eat hot lightning, jackass. Enjoy your wasted TP."

A Fortress and a Nightseeker have made up the entirety of my front line for my full run and I never once had a problem. I kind of agree with Medics though. i wish I'd taken a Dancer instead, or something.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Maybe the new MC could be a g-g-g-g-g-g-GIRL???

I'd argue that though you controlled a male Highlander, the real MC was the female Gunner Frederica. Hell, I'd say the fact that you don't control her directly makes her a BETTER MC than the Highlander. She had actual lines, and backstory, and the thing most resembling an actual personality (aside from the also female Regina, maybe). Highlander was bland as poo poo though, largely from being a Silent Protagonist. He was an outsider with what looked like his own culture and people living away from the various Labyrinths and guild cities and that could have been interesting but nope! Have a silent protagonist who emotes in battle about as much as Link from the Zelda series.

EOU2's story isn't spectacular, but I'm only a 1/3rd of the way through and already care significantly more about any of them than I did the EOU1 guys. Even Fafnir himself at least has some battle lines now. Have we actually heard anything about an EO5 or Untold 3 yet? Finding info on this series is bizarrely difficult at times.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I like how Untold 2 has sort of combined the two styles, but I still prefer the EO4 skill map. Largely because, as a beginner to the series, its much easier to digest. This is what I have avalable to me, so don't worry about all those super skills further down the road or skills leading into other skills. Its small, segregated by level, and easier to understand. If I make a mistake its easier to fix, and by the time I reach the level 40 skills, I have a much better idea of what my guys do and how they all do it so I'm not panicking over which super skill to get first or throwing all of my points into stuff to get the super skill as soon as possible.

• Locked thread