Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So when you (circle user), (berserker guys), and (mech sword) classes Tyty, will we do another vote for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Spinny Landsknecht, Miffed Landsknecht, Tron-lines Landsknecht.

It follows after EO1 had Cursed Landsknecht and Japanese Landsknecht, and EO2 added Furry Landsknecht on top of it.

I wish the Other Japanese Landsknecht and Mecha-Landsknecht in EO3 were better, but eh.

You think EOU3 will have a MC focused on something other than physical damage, to make him different from Foreign Landsknecht and Power Ranger Landsknecht?

But... Almost none of those classes are exactly like a Landskencht... So why?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's an actual appearance from him in the 2nd game. Though he got taken out of the remake.

Alongside Angie, and Hoffman was in the original. Not sure about EOU, though.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
By the way, aside from Linkskeneckt's and Fafnir, there really hasn't been a "magic knight" class in EO. I wonder why?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

... besides the appropriately named Warmage, you mean?

I meant a cross between an Alchemist and a Landskenect, not Medic/Landskenect.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

War Edge skills, in both the original EO2 and EO2U, require status ailments to actually do stuff and aren't actually slash damage (they're untyped for damage calculations, although I think they count as slash for conditional drops). I think that qualifies for at least some definition of "magic."

Also Landsknechts in their EO1/2 form have the elemental Chasers, even if they are complete and utter garbage.

I already addressed the latter half of your statement, but I meant more Fire/Ice/Thunder spells combined with slashing and smashing.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

What's the point of a damage class that's bad at two things? Elemental physical attacks are a common thing, so there's no reason to make them explicitly cast spells.

Simple: they aren't bad.
Ok, my class in my head (let's call it Rune Fencer for clarity) has above average strength and Tec, survivability around... A Dark Hunter, I guess? And acsess to second level and bellow spells and Landskenect skills. The advantage it has over a Alchemist is the ability to survive on the front lines and good attack for when it runs out of TP. It has an advantage over a Landskenect in a larger TP pool and stronger weakness hitting abilities. Thoughts?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

So you have no real reason to not be it over Land and (in this game) Rune?

Congratulations, you have successfully "invented" Imperials.

Disadvantages: not as hardy as a Landskenect. Smaller TP pool than an Alchemist. Not as high Attack as Landskenect.
Not as high Tec as Alchemist.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

As mentioned, you have created the opposite problem: an overpowered class. Specialization is always better, unless you're giving up nothing to have both skills, in which case you're overpowered.

Red Mages in FF games don't learn every spell from White and Black magic.
Same here, replace White magic with Physical skills.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fine! Maybe have only base spells, but have Troubadour's "apply an element to an ally or themselves attack" skills?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I...don't quite get what you want out of the class. The spoiler class mentioned there are very much "hardier" than Landsknechts, given their very high VIT and equivalent armor availability to Landsknechts. Not having equivalent stats to other classes makes no sense because EO has different damage formulae for different situations. Not having as high TEC as Alchemists doesn't matter at all if you don't have any skills that use TEC to begin with. Especially with regards to TP because TP costs vary quite wildly from class to class, meaning whether or not a low max TP amount is a hindrance is a matter of what skills you have. Highlanders in EOU/EO2U have pretty low max TP, but also have very low TP costs, consuming HP to make up for it.
Their physical skills use attack, and their spells use TEC. Simple.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's take this away from "this is a bad class" to "how can we make it work?"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ok, so maybe the Rune Fencer has a passive where... Oh! The weapon the rune fencer is holding gets it's attribute+attack added to any spell the Rune Fencer casts!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hello? Anyone there?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

W.T. Fits posted:

We have an Etrian Odyssey general discussion thread for this kind of discussion.

Sorry. Can you copy paste my discussion there so I can continue it?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been nice if Nightseekers got a pasive that was like the Ninja class from EO3, the one that removed the attack penalty from the back row with a melee weapon?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

Nightseekers do not need more advantages.

But Nightseekers are fragile, right?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

alcharagia posted:

Yes, but they also don't need more advantages.

I thought this game was balanced.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Tyty posted:

Yes

The downside for their crazy damage is that they're as fragile as wet paper. It's a common way for EO games to balance high-damage front line classes, especially those that rely on status effects . Dark Hunters, Ronin, Shogun, Arbalists, Rapier Pirates, Nightseekers. All of them can't really take a hit as a countermeasure for them being able to do some absolutely dumb poo poo.

You forgot Ninja.
Although, like I said, they get a passive that allows them to work on the backlines, no sweat.
And aren't Nightseekers able to work on both lines with their knife throw skills?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, but one of the best ways that Nightseekers can break a game is simple.
Subclass Sniper into them, and their fragility drops because they can use bows to attack from range, while still being able to set up good damage by using their throw skills/proficiency.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What?
Bows have bad attack?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ninjas are not good damage dealers. They're supports. Nightseekers do not need anymore buffs. They are the strongest class in the game. And the throws deal terrible damage at all levels, 80%. So those aren't meant for dealing damage.

At least not directly.
You forgot: Nightseeker's Proficiency increases damage done when the target is under a status ailment.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

A Throw skill deals 224% damage (80 * 2.8) with the Nightseeker's Enlightenment, which is first unlocked at level 40. The Throw skills will always be terrible for damage.

No, you use the throw skills to disable and set up for proficiency/mastery/enlightenment, then you switch to your sword skills and basic attacks.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So I heard that this is the most balanced EO game, in that no class is useless.
Is that true?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So...
Tyty, are you going to discuss the classes abilities in class overview thingy?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Clarste posted:

Maybe I'm stupid, but I had my Nightseeker throw knives from the back row until they got a status proc, and then switched them to the front for massive damage.

Smart dude.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nightseekers are arguably the best consistent damage dealers in EO4.

What about Landskenects? Snipers? Runemasters? Bushi? Imperials?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nightseekers have the best damage steroid in the game. Their class skills give them a massive damage boost against enemies with ailments, and they have a really good damage boosting passive on top of that. No other class compares to it because they don't have any damage boosts on the level of what the Nightseeker's passives gives them.

So, theoretically, you could go through the game with a Nightseeker, Fortress and Medic and be totally fine?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

poorlywrittennovel posted:

There is no party combination that doesn't work in EO4. Pretty sure people in the main EO thread in Games have done solo class runs with almost everything.

I'm meant just those three.
Also, if Nightseekers are Better At Damage than the other 5 classes I meantioned, why would you ever use them when you could use a Nightseeker? Said five classes: Landskenect, Sniper, Runemaster, Bushi, Imperial.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yeah, I got all that.
But in what situations are Landy, Sniper, Rune, Bushi, and Imper good for over Night?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Cernunnos posted:

Please stop posting.

I'm just asking questions and bringing up fair points.
Like, for example is it feasable to have a more defensive Landy in this game?
You, know, put some points into Iron Wall, Weapon Parry, and Swordbreaker, subclass Fortress and other poo poo like that?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You seem like you're just starting arguments for the sake of starting arguments, and your posts read like you are desperately trying to not be proven wrong once other people chime in. This discussion about Nightseekers vs. everyone else is inane and pointless.

Oh.
Sorry.
I haven't played an EO game, so I was just curious about classes and skills and strategies and so on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Junpei Hyde posted:

You use other classes because having a varied roster is fun.

Kinda late to the party.
Oh, and when we unlock the other classes will we do another character vote, Tyty?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Supremezero posted:

... if you have never played an EO game, why are you arguing with people who have when they tell you that yes, you can do the thing.

Hey, I just read some suggestions from a EO wiki.
Also, are Medics too useful here?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

To clarify:
Ragnar, you said so yourself in your medic discussion. Quote:
EO4 Medics were very, very good at their job--in fact, they were a little too good, as they healed for way more than the party would ever really need. An Arcanist with a Medic subclass was, pretty obviously, "inferior" to an actual Medic due to how subclassing in EO4 worked, but they still did the job of healing the party well enough that they were preferred over a Medic main class.
Is. This. True?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Tyty, I would like to formally apologize for my earlier rudeness. I shouldn't butt in to things I have no knowledge of.

• Locked thread