Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DontMindMe posted:

I recently just had my kitchen completely remodeled, and was looking at possibly getting a new set of pots and pans.

Is All-Clad sets still recommended? Or is the first page a bit out of date at this point?

All-Clad is still very good, but on the pricey side. Other brands I own and am quite happy with are Made In and the Sur La Table house brand set (which is currently on a very good sale). I've had an earlier version of the SLT stuff (seen here) for more than a decade now, and been quite happy with it. Looks like everyone is running some flavor of Easter sale, however, so now is a good time to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just hit my bamboo cutting board with soap and hot water and a lil scrubbing pad asap after cutting meat. Seems fine?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

The three minute time has nothing to do with the pathogen growth rate, it's the time at which the sample was collected. In cutting board tests the surface is contaminated and then later tested. If you test three minutes after contamination, the number of recovered pathogens is an order of magnitude greater for an old wood cutting board versus a new wood cutting board.

And what's the dealio after the reproductive cycles? You're just saying surface area exists.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DontMindMe posted:

I recently just had my kitchen completely remodeled, and was looking at possibly getting a new set of pots and pans.

Is All-Clad sets still recommended? Or is the first page a bit out of date at this point?

My new kitchen is a mix of made in, all clad, and misen. They're all fine.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
All Clad D3's are the sweet spot especially if you find some "packaging damaged" deals. Even the "second quality" ones I've bought are just a tiny dent here or there or a misshapen rivet on a lid.

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/d3-stainless-cookware.html

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 30, 2024

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
all clad is nice for fry/saute pans and like sauciers but buying a whole set is a waste of money imo. the small sets usually don't have the most useful sizes and the big sets have a bunch of stuff you don't need. you're better off just buying individual pieces to replace and upgrade your most used items

unless your goal is to display wealth with a matched set of luxury cookware, in which case, just go straight for the copper core stuff

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've been very happy with the Cuisinart MCP-12 set for years now. Works on induction, sturdy stuff, looks decent enough and all oven safe etc.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/stylish-cookware-sets/mcp-12n/

Shows $219 there but I got mine vastly discounted on an open box deal from Amazon warehouse or something years ago.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Costco sells a Kirkland branded copper core five ply set. I got it for my mom for Christmas a few years ago. I think it was about $220 at the time? If I was going to start fresh and wanted a set, that’s the one I’d get for sure.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good lord what a steal

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it the Ken Onion knife manufactured by Shun/KAI, or was someone else the manufacturer? If it's Shun, they have a mail-in sharpening service with information here, however you have to fill out a form in advance, and the turnaround is about 2 weeks. I can't speak to their quality, but I'd assume it's at least adequate. Looks like it's $15 as the shipping and processing fee, plus whatever you spend to ship it to them.

It is indeed the Shun one. Thank you!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mom realized she never used this thing anymore so she dumped it on me.

Is it good or would I be better off kneading by hand and baking in the oven

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I was ready to tell you to throw it out when I scrolled down and saw who made it...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

I don't know how Zoji's is, but it's the difference between a homemade cookie and cookie dough from a tub. Quality ceiling is huge on full DIY but machine is super helpful if you don't have the time.

Different end results, but a machine can still beat the pants off 90% of grocery store bread. My mom is in love with hers. Word to the wise - the most important step is waiting for it to cool before you cut a slice, no matter how tempting it is.

High school me thought the machine was junk because I wouldn't wait and it turned into a gummy mess.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 31, 2024

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Score!

Zojirushi makes a great bread machine! I had that same model but gave it to my mom when I moved. After a while I missed it and got a new one.

I used to bake wheat bread all the time and it makes a good loaf with no effort. Now I have to bake gluten free so I had to program my own single-rise program, still turns out a quality loaf.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Prepare to officially size up your belts and pants.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

VelociBacon posted:

Prepare to officially size up your belts and pants.

I thought goons just wore sweatpants anyway?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

And what's the dealio after the reproductive cycles? You're just saying surface area exists.
It depends on the environmental conditions and the specific pathogen. There isn't one single reproductive rate for any given foodborne pathogen, and there are multiple possible pathogens.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

I just hit my bamboo cutting board with soap and hot water and a lil scrubbing pad asap after cutting meat. Seems fine?
The recommendation from the USDA is to do what you're doing (cleaning) then additionally soaking the surface with a dilute solution of bleach (sanitising).

With a plastic cutting board you get both by throwing it in a dishwasher, but that's not recommended for wood cutting boards.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How long does homemade bread last compared to store purchase bread?

mystes
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

How long does homemade bread last compared to store purchase bread?
If you mean compared to like sliced bread much less time but the real answer is to just eat what you want and then slice and freeze the rest because it keeps very well that way

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For us, around 3-4 days using the oven as a breadbox. I don't think we've ever had it go mouldy, probably because by that point we've eaten it all.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That Works posted:

I've been very happy with the Cuisinart MCP-12 set for years now. Works on induction, sturdy stuff, looks decent enough and all oven safe etc.

https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/cookware/stylish-cookware-sets/mcp-12n/

Shows $219 there but I got mine vastly discounted on an open box deal from Amazon warehouse or something years ago.

Seconding these. I got the MCP-7, which is just a subset of the MCP-12, and they've been great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thoht posted:

Seconding these. I got the MCP-7, which is just a subset of the MCP-12, and they've been great.

:h-five:

glad to hear. I've always been pleasantly surprised at how they've held up over the years. Doubt I will have to replace them for some decade(s).

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Best kitchen timer (besides my phone)?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This one is pretty good for us, since it has a probe with temperature alarms. https://www.thermoworks.com/chefalarm/

If I could have one other feature, it'd be an easier way to reset / re-use the last timer. For this one, I think you need to reset, then press and hold start again for 3 seconds. My previous cheapo one automatically queued up the same timer after you dismissed the alarm.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use an Echo because I can set timers hands-free and it can play music too

But if I need to see the numbers I either use my phone or a KitchenAid 3-stack that we've had for eons. The latter is kind of a pain because you have to re-select the appropriate timer if you haven’t touched it in a while.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Between my phone and the timers of my oven and microwave, I rarely need anything more, but on occasion I appreciate having a mechanical rotary timer, which are a dime a dozen at any thrift store. It's nice to be able to quickly turn a knob to the desired time instead of hitting the minute button until you get there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Any cheap electronic timer with 0-9 buttons for me. I don’t have this one, but it seems like a fine example of the type of thing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012QP8ORW

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Our electric skillet gets a lot of use mostly because of its temperature control, but it's starting to fade (not very non-stick, temperature is starting to drift). Is there a big difference between the pretty same-y ones I see on Amazon?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Does anyone still use stovetop pressure cookers and have a recommendation? I don't see the electric variant really adding anything (besides bulk), so I'm thinking about going the low tech route.

So far the brands I have on my radar are Kuhn Rikon and Fissler.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have a Fissler and love it. Super thick clad bottom which is great for hard searing things before going under pressure. Very easy to use and clean lid, hits 15psi no problem too which electric ones won’t.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Eezee posted:

Does anyone still use stovetop pressure cookers and have a recommendation? I don't see the electric variant really adding anything (besides bulk), so I'm thinking about going the low tech route.

So far the brands I have on my radar are Kuhn Rikon and Fissler.

Dave Arnold made a big deal ten years ago about closed-system pressure cookers having much more onion flavor than open-system pressure cookers. I have not done side by side tests to confirm and gave away my open system pressure cooker already. I believe him but at the same time he might have more sensitive tastebuds than most people. He also says lime juice is at peak flavor 4 hours after juicing and as for myself I can’t tell if lime juice is fresh or a day old

Kuhn Rikon is closed. But then again so are Instant pots! AFAIK all other stovetop pressure cookers are open system.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

By closed-system you mean steam only escaping when the pressure gets way too high instead of some escaping constantly?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yea

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'll second Fissler, it also doubles as a nice stock pot

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Just wanna throw it out there that we previously had only a stovetop pressure cooker and I also assumed there'd be little or no point to switching to an electric one. Then we happened to win an instant pot in a raffle and I have to say I would never go back. For me at least, the electric pressure cooker is a much more convenient experience.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My reasons behind getting a stovetop one are that my induction stove is much more powerful than the heating element in an instant pot, so I can actually brown some meat in it before making a stock. it eliminates another point of failure by not having electronics that could break in a couple of years.

And having able to use it as a normal pot is also a nice bonus.

Do you mostly like the electronic version because it's even more hands off to the point of putting it on and walking away or are there any other killer features?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Eezee posted:

Do you mostly like the electronic version because it's even more hands off to the point of putting it on and walking away or are there any other killer features?

Having used both myself, yeah it's this, for me. The convenience of having a timed pressure cook followed by keep-warm so I can walk away is amazing. Especially with two young children.

The ability to maintain a 100F water bath for yogurt is a nice bonus feature too

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Definitely convenience and less explodability. But see if you can borrow or use a friend’s instant pot before deciding. You can absolutely brown meat in mine, and if you wanted to go farther and char something, you can also just put the liner pot on the stove. The first week after I moved, when everything was in boxes, I was using the instant pot liner on the stovetop for everything, including boiling pasta. It’s not ideal because of the lack of handles, but it’s definitely doable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Anne Whateley posted:

You can absolutely brown meat in mine, and if you wanted to go farther and char something, you can also just put the liner pot on the stove.

What time can I be there? It's thawing now.