Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gerblyn posted:

Make chocolate chip cookies, and use the rings to cut them all into the same uniform size. Then, make vanilla ice cream, mix in a bag of m&ms, and pour it into a baking tray to harden, so you get a layer of M&M ice cream about half an inch thick. Once the ice cream's hardened, use the rings to cut out discs of it, then place each disc of ice cream between two cookie discs to make ice cream sandwiches. Eat, enjoy, die of diabetes!

Why don't you use your powers for good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Red_Fred posted:

It's not my cooktop so that's a concern also I heard that cast iron pans get so hot as to damage the cooktop?

I don't think the cast iron pan can get hotter than the cooktop that is heating it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I only really have room in my life for one fine mesh strainer, what should I be looking for? Rounded bottom or chinois-style? What's the smallest it can be without me regretting it frequently?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

neonnoodle posted:

I think the rounded kind are more versatile. Chinois are good for straining liquids out of chunky things, but they get piled up in the bottom.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have experience with induction cooktops (like induction hotplates)? Not a full stove just like 1 burner you plug in to the wall.

I'm moving into an apartment soon and I think it's going to have an electric coil stove that's seriously old. It's got ganged switches for burner power instead of a knob! So I'm thinking of getting an induction burner so I'm not stuck with a stove that looks like it belongs in black & white TV.

Are all induction burners stuck with discrete power levels? The ones I see on Amazon just have digital buttons to change the power level which is still pretty terrible. Plus they only have a handful of power levels which is also frustrating. I'm used to gas burners where I can get a lot of play in the power.

There's one I can't remember the name up that's new, and has fine-enough control for sous vide. I'll try to remember, I think it starts with "P" and is from GE.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For moving on the counter, a damp paper towel underneath is my go-to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

I don't have an outdoor grill. Will a grilling pan suffice? My parents had one and it worked well, but I don't know if it's a problem to use indoors due to smoke or whatever.

What do you want to use it for?

Smoke can definitely be an issue, but now much of an issue depends on what/how you're cooking, and the ventilation situation where you cook.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pollyanna posted:

Probably just stuff like skirt steak and chicken thighs. Nothing major, at least not yet.

Once you get a feel for the temperature so you aren't scorching everything, with decent ventilation you're probably OK. You can simulate it with a hot frying pan to test.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

Troll craigslist for a used bge. Totally worth it but I'm a shameless fanboy.

Is that worth it given that the warranty doesn't transfer?

Hed posted:

They are great, you won't regret it. You can obviously geek & kit out as much as you want. I have an XL and augmented it with a lot of stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Although it seems like they have some goofy new CMS that killed my links on their site I purchased:
  • XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo (comes with 17.5" round stone). The Woo brings the grill up an inch or two to the felt line and in lieu of the BGE-brand plate setter, lets me drop in the round stone for indirect cooking. The Adjustable rig lets me go from just the one grill level to up to 3 levels for smoking lots of stuff (like 6 racks of lying-down ribs).
  • 18" Drip Pan SS Round - XL, 19". Can use this to cover the stone, but I generally just foil it for shorter cooks.
  • Their ash tool. (TEX-AT) I'm sure the BGE ash tool would be fine if your dealer throws it in
  • 19" Half Round Ceramic Stone (9.5"x19") - XL. I use this to force a direct and indirect side of the grill for cooking steaks. Some people use the reverse sear (cook low until done, take meat off, open up the vents and put meat back on to sear & finish).
  • BBQ Guru ceramic adaptor. This is an aparatus for controlling airflow with a damper for really long cooks.

The ceramic adaptor you can either buy one of the turnkey temperature controllers or use forums user Capn Bry's excellent Heatermeter and a remote damper from the fine folks at TVWBB's forums to do set-and-forget BBQ. I use the Roto damper for long cooks. The former you to reverse proxy your meat progress so you can embed your meat progress into your BBQ invites for your guests:

That XL cooks 20 hours without me really futzing with it at all after I close the lid the first time.

More info in the smoking thread

This is fantastic. Not sure about running ethernet to my Canadian outdoors, but it's definitely nerd-tempting.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 6, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes, I've bought 3 used BGEs. sometimes the internal ceramic pieces can crack from thermal cycling or thermal shock but they are still functional.

What about if the felt gasket fails, which I've heard is common?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Depends on how much you love your mom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

Gonna make all the potatoes. :v:

Seriously, though. I'm debating whether to donate the pot to the city mission or use it as an excuse to finally start homebrewing.

Or you could house a refugee family.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The oven door melting/pinching I think, yeah (more melting). Same with putting the grill lid down over one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PDP-1 posted:

I had an apartment once with a very 80's looking microwave, it heated food just fine but my wifi stopped working when it was on.

2.4 sucks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking for a dual or triple probe thermometer for my grill/smoker. Desiderata are wireless monitor with good range and high temperature tolerance (500F+).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

you're thinking about it too hard. just keep using it unless rust

I got rust. :smith:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Searzall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like my large Boos, but it's heavy and when I had less counter space it was awkward. It also has a stain from some water pooling on it for a week while I was traveling, which I'm not sure how to get out, but that's hardly the board's fault.

Confession: I haven't oiled it in long enough that I've forgotten what I used. How are people caring for their wood boards.

E: how is a carving board different from a regular board?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's not a purchase I thought I'd make today, but here we are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do people use to keep cutting boards in place? I have a big wooden board and smooth counters, and it wants to slide all over the place. I had wet paper towels under it for a while, but I think the wood absorbed the water a warped a bit. I tried an Amazon silpat-alike but it didn't keep it from rotating. It's driving me crazy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, this is all very helpful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just don't cook chicken.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheese shredder, something fairly inexpensive?

I got an OXO Good Grips Two-Fold Grater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VLYQHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5bfRybDSR7FH6 and it stores nicely in a drawer. Also grates cheese pretty well (though I microplane hard cheeses like Parmesan). $13, has served me well for a year and a half of grating mozzarella for my kid's pasta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Prague Curing Whatever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

But then when I have people over I make it clear that if they break my stuff I expect them to pay for it

Is this part of the greeting at the door, or something you mention when inviting them? Do you have signs?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're not going to like it any more on the luggage scan, and you won't be around to explain it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh so now you're telling me I should be reading all the words? Who has time for that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

that is a dumb question.

Be nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rgocs posted:

Are these "rock" cookware things any good? (https://imgur.com/97B1j3G). They're 20% off and I've been thinking on replacing some old nonstick pans. Says here they can also go in the oven, wondering how they perform nonstick and temperature wise?

What are they actually made of? "Rock" and "induction" don't go together for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rgocs posted:

It's a "rock like" surface. They're metal, aluminium maybe?

Aluminum doesn't work with induction, so not that.

Maybe they're carved from iron ore. Very Dwarf Fortress.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm crying because the Prime Day selection in Canada is butt.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the sauté mode is also considered valuable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using this for 6 years:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CP...uisinart+kettle

It's not adjustable but it has 6 preset temps which are good enough

The only other downside is that the numbers rub off after a while

I have the same one, but I don't think it keeps water hot for an hour. Maybe 20 mins with the reboiling?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you want to mark on black, a bit of nail polish might work for making tick marks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, nitrile is the way to go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Thermoworks is having a sale on ThermaQs and ThermaQ kits.

Enjoy.

Something's wrong with my Smoke, so I'm tempted and not tempted. (The meat probe goes nuts and registers like 180F when it's sitting in the air in shade. I tried a replacement when it was in that situation and the same thing. The air temp works in both ports, the meat works in neither.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And then it cleans up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why is the instant pot less scary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've written too much software for that to make me more comfortable.