Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thanks, good recs.
Victorinox is slowly taking over my knife collection, I've been ridiculously happy with my fibrox chef's knife. Cheap, too!

However, I think I want a longer, straight blade. This is the technique I'd like to replicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTt4BtGN3Q

EDIT
Maybe I'll get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-Straight-Fishing-Flexible/dp/B0019WUGRK/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I went to make buns this weekend, and realized that I never got a dough hook when I got my mom's old Kitchenaide stand mixer. She probably wore it out!

Anyway, there are so many different sizes now, how do I know which one is the right size?
Mine is the small tilt-head, from about 1980.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Tilty heads can only get a C hook, spiral dough hooks are only for the lifty bowls.

OK, thanks!

I double checked the exact model, but your advice was correct.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Just my two cents, but I bought the 6-qt Presto stainless steel pressure cooker and returned it for the 8-qt. Only about $10 more and 33% more capacity is well worth it.

It owns, btw.

Yeah, go bigger if you want to can.

I don't pressure can, so I just use my tamale steamer pot or my lobstah pot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I give up, I'm sick of my Asian friends mocking me for "making rice in a pan". Also, the girlfriend really likes that clumpy Chinese restaurant texture.

Recommendations for babby's first rice cooker?

I don't want to spend a lot, and I don't need a lot of modes... I'll be happy with a "Make Rice Now" button.

EDIT:

Maybe this little Zoji? $40, and 3 cups should be all I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NHS-06-3-Cup-Uncooked-Cooker/dp/B00004S575

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 25, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Good advice, thank you.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Get one.

Whoa.

Beloved by both FGR and Dino, and ten bucks cheaper then what I picked out? drat, I love this thread.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I'd still recommend the Instant Pot though if you have the extra cash. I'm certain it'll be on sale on Friday or Monday.

Totally valid advice, but this is a counter space issue: it's at a premium in my kitchen, and I'm looking for a rice cooker small enough that it can live on my counter. This is why I didn't want one of those really big ones!

I do plan on buying an Instant pot one of these days, but I want the big one, so it's going to have to be stored in a cabinet between uses, just like the crockpot.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 2, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Well, not the big one, but a great price on the 6 quart: $65

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBKTPTS/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Someone gave me a Pampered Chef santoku. It has a decent edge, and while it gets some use, it's obscenely heavy. Especially compared to my Victorinox.

I swear it feels like it's at least a pound. I should go weigh it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just weighed em

Pampered Chef 7" santoku, 298 grams.

Victorinox 8" Chef knife, 178 grams.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOVE my $30 rice cooker, it's exactly what I wanted, thank you Goons.

https://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Housewares-ARC-914SBD-Cool-Touch-Stainless/dp/B007WQ9YNO/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think they give different distribution channels different SKUs so that it’s hard to comparison shop

DING DING DING

Accessory and bowl wise, I think there are only two sizes, the tilt-head and the lift-bowl.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought the three-piece set of plastic Oxo liquid measuring cups, and I love them. The angled thing makes it really easy to read.

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-3-Piece-Angled-Measuring/dp/B0000CCY1Y

I do have a glass 2-cup Anchor Hocking that I use for hot stuff, but otherwise very happy with the plastic Oxo cups.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Air fryers are useful for a few things, but the only thing that they do really well is re-heat pre-fried foods. If you buy a lot of frozen fried stuff, then go for it. Otherwise, it's harder to justify.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I need sharper scissors for my candy shop. So, probably not kitchen scissors and/or serrated scissors.

We do cut some candy with them, but mostly we use them to cut the tips off of plastic piping bags: (Edit: ever use a plastic piping bag? Slippery AS gently caress)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1ZGZ7V/

So, I guess I need sharp and/or stiff?
I just did some striping for the first time in months, and I'm kind of horrified that none of my staff have complained about the badly worn scissors.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

If you have a whole-rear end candy shop, why not get candy shears?

"Candy Shears" aren't really a thing, unless you are talking about what they use to cut hot sheets of hard candy, which I don't do.
Otherwise you are talking about normal kitchen scissors, which aren't great at cutting the plastic piping bags.

Anne Whateley posted:

Piping bag tips can be handled with a $5 Walmart special that just gets sharpened or replaced whenever

Right, that's the problem, I just bought regular old paper scissors, which worked great at first, but now my staff is fighting with rusty sabers.
Part of the problem is that I've always folded my own bags out of pieces of parchment paper, which you can cut with pretty much any kind of scissors. But my production prefer the plastic ones, and they out voted me, so I buy those now.

I thought of a solution last night, what I really need is cuticle scissors, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Swords-Germany-STAINLESS-STRAIGHT-professional/dp/B07J9HSZW8

Although, while searching for that, I found these "garnishing snips", I think I'll buy a pair of these to try out as well.

https://www.amazon.com/OCreme-Super-Scissors-Stainless-Garnishing/dp/B083C5S8MC/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

Granted I am not a pastry person so I have no idea of the specific challenges related to piping bags.

Oh, that's a good point, I'm not piping pastry, I'm piping tempered chocolate, which is why traditional re-usable bags and tips are out.

This is what I buy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S1ZGZ7V/

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well there's the problem, tell 'em to stop putting them away wet.

oops, I was being metaphorical. I do that sometimes.

They are dull, and more importantly, the rivet is loose and cannot be adjusted.

Yeah, that looks like a better quality version of what we are currently using, thank you.

bird with big dick posted:

Get a few pairs of these they’re on sale right now

https://kasho-shears.com/damascus.html

This is how you do it! If you are going to give a stupid suggestion, at least make it a link that's interesting to click on.
That's some pretty steel, there.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

unless you're a business their shipping costs suck but if it somehow works out go for it

Yeah, I hate them and I only buy things from them on the rare occasion that they have some piece of restaurant equipment that I can only get there.

They did some serious price gouging during the pandemic. Early in the pandemic I bought a cake cone dispenser (literally just a plastic tube with a mount), for $40. Reasonable price! When I wanted another one 3 months later, suddenly the price was $85.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loving hate my non-induction flat top, it's like the worst of all worlds. I'd much rather have the plain calrod spiral tubes.

EDIT: it came with my current house, I didn't buy it.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 12, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

I use the Winco boar bristle pastry brushes. They're like US$3 a pop and I've never noticed any problems with them shedding.

Great suggestion!
In my shop, I use plain old paintbrushes for brushing out the fudge case, but for anything that touches actual food, I use the Winco boar bristle brushes.

Sidebar:
Badger hair brushes can be used to polish off chocolate bloom, to a near miraculous degree. It's always better to prevent bloom in the first place, but this can help fix mistakes. Just don't ever get it wet.
Here are the ones I use:
https://www.hilliardschocolate.com/pages/cfUtensils_Details_Brushes.cfm

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Talk about your uni-taskers.... I've always kind of wanted a raclette melter machine for parties.

Anyone ever buy such a thing?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like that’s something a searzall would be good for

Perfect, in fact.

I'm looking for the extravagance of one of those swivel setups.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for 9 years now, I love it!

One of my favorite recommendations from this thread. Well balanced, handle fits my massive paws, and with occasional honing, the edge lasts a really long time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A few years back there was some kind of terrible gas disaster here in MA, where entire neighborhoods were literally blowing up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_Valley_gas_explosions

I went out and bought a emergency gas and water shut off tool after that. Who knows if I could save anything in a disaster, but it made me feel slightly better about living in a neighborhood with gas.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I really like the plastic induction burner I bought at Kam Man for $30. I mostly only use it for home hot pot, but as far as I can tell it works pretty much the same as a full sized induction range.

Very little English printed on it, though. It took me a while to figure all the modes out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I was ready to tell you to throw it out when I scrolled down and saw who made it...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

3) being quieter

This is a great point, I have a traditional stove top pressure cooker, a hand-me-down from my mom. Holy poo poo does it make a racket!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Are they worth the money for what you get? Sure, they are nearly indestructible. So if you own an ice cream shop, yes Zeroll are pretty much the only thing to get.

For home use, yes they will last forever, but do they make the kind of scoops you like? Some people prefer a disher-style scoop, or a spade.
The one nice thing about Zeroll is that they come in a ton of sizes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Get the polished kind, mine are a hard anodize, and after three years of constant use, the surface is starting to flake off.

EDIT:
I guess they call the anodize finish Zerolon? Maybe it's not an anodize process.

Anyway, mine are size brown.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Brown size seems big, I usually make quite small batches of ice cream. Might go mid size maybe

Yah, I would go with blue or green for home use.

Remember tho, the magic of the Zeroll is that the scoops LOOK bigger if you get the spiral just right.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you think peeps can actually get 4 sigfigs of scooping accuracy?

Duh, of course not. Biggest variables are staff training (making that perfect Zeroll curl takes some practice), ice cream density (my ice cream is so rich that we get a five oz scoop out of the 4 oz scoop), and ice cream hardness/temp.

The last one isn't a problem at home (one flavor, you can take it out and let it sit as long as you need to), but balancing 32 flavors in 2 cases is a bitch, as the freezing point varies by flavor. It varies based on sugar content, fat content, and the inclusions. One case is set 2 degrees higher than the other, so we have warmer flavors and cooler flavors, and then you have warmer and cooler locations in the cases... in the end only about 2/3s are at the right temp, and about 1/3 are always a little too hard or too soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

For home use I don't really see why you would use a super heavy duty ice cream scoop rather than leaving the ice cream out to soften slightly or microwaving it for 5 seconds

The dude who started this mess said he wore out a regular one. Is there a better argument for owning commercial quality than that?