Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you want a rice cooker, get one of the good ones, with a computer that intelligently applies heat instead of just being a plug-in pot. Tiger makes good cheap ones, and the Aroma model is pretty nice too, but Zojirushi is the gold standard. One of the benefits of the higher end ones is that you can hold rice for hours or days without it drying out or burning, so don't be put off by how long they take to cook rice. You can even add your rice and water and set a schedule, so you can have fresh rice for breakfast or dinner or whatever.

A good brand just below Zoji is Cuckoo, who are starting to push into the US market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

THF13 posted:

Any ones in particular to look at? I can't find a lot of information in English about them. Sweethome is recommending this ~$220 10 cup pressure cooker model since it cooks faster than their previous pick of a ~$150 Zojirushi.

The 6 cup version of their previous pick is what we have and we love it. Can't say one bad word against it. Makes amazing rice. Can't speak to the newer/more expensive pressure line, though they sound good.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on a food mill?

The OXO mill is loving amazing, but is $50 http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Food-Mill/dp/B000I0MGKE
Of the competitors, all about half the price, I think the http://www.amazon.com/Weston-61-0101-W-Food-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000T3HWR2 is the only one I've used and it's pretty good, but the OXO is honestly worth the markup (as usual).

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
The only bell and whistles I recommend on a vacuum sealer are:

1: Accessory hose port ( and buy a mason jar sealer)
2: Roll cutter/storage, which makes it much easier to buy big rolls on amazon and cut to fit.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

This is the roll of vacuum bags I got and I have yet to puncture or otherwise have them fail on me. Cheap as poo poo, too, for 50 feet worth.

Yeah, exactly which vendor on Amazon is the best deal varies (I buy the 11x50 2-packs http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Bargains-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage/dp/B00I1OM7TO), but the 3rd-party rolls are great and always cheaper than anything foodsaver offers.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

My girlfriend loves to make ice cream and currently owns an inexpensive Cuisinart with the pre-freeze churning bowl. I would like to buy her one of the compressor type of ice cream makers for her birthday so she doesn't have to worry about turning down the freezer and pre-chilling the churning bowl the night before.

I've read some good things about the Breville BCI600XL and the Whynter ICM-200LS. $400 is about my upper limit to spend, so those high-end $700+ Italian ice cream makers are out. Anyone have experience with these sorts of ice cream makers?

I have the Cuisinart ICE-100, and it does just great. Huge improvement over the freezer-bucket types. I'm also going to take the opportunity to recommend the Tovolo tubs, as they're absolutely critical unless you're going to eat all the ice cream in one go.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
FoodSaver at Meh today.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hopper posted:

Granite is the way to go imho. They are cheap, any will do just pick the size you like, no need for a brand. You can rinse them after use, they are heavy which translates into a stable base and they don't care what you grind in them. Porcelain, olive wood, metal what have you all make no sense to me.

Actually, check your local Asian supermarket, here in Germany they are your best bet in terms of size choice and cost effectiveness.

I use an Ikea mortar and pestle. I'm sure there are better, but we were at Ikea and it was $10...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It looks like. Costco las stopped selling the weird version of the bowl lift with the bowl that doesn't work with accessories. Standard kp26m9x sighted today with normal looking bowl, 329. So tempting if I didn't have an NYC kitchen .

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Speaking of Meh, Today's (12/22/16) Meh is a food saver with roll storage and cutter for $35.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Niyqor posted:

I buy this Nishiki rice. It seems good to me. A couple of friends that eat more rice than me use the same.

Counterpoint we love https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRUO94K/ or one of the Korean-branded equivalent: http://nj.hmart.com/nutri-whole-grain-brown-rice-23464/ . They're partially-milled brown rice for a good balance of taste/texture I prefer to fully-polished rice for everything but sushi.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 16, 2017

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Be aware that unless they changed something, the Costco branded 6qt use a weird bowl so you can't buy glass bowls, beater blades or the heated bowl accessory (although they made the ice cream maker so it fits multiple models). It didn't matter for me, I've had a KA Costco branded mixer for a while and loved it.

They changed something last year. The stupid Costco bowl is dead dead dead.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
If you're in Queens or northern Brooklyn, the Food Bazaar on Northern Boulevard has a full-service, full-spectrum butcher at prices lower than anywhere non-distressing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So a couple of years ago I got the Peugeot Paris U’Select Pepper Grinder. It owns and I love it and it’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade it for anything... but it is annoying to use when I need large quantities of pepper for recipes that call for spoonfuls. What’s a good electric pepper grinder that grinds pepper ultra super fine as gently caress so I don’t bite into broken peppercorn chunks?

Unicorn Magnum. http://www.unicornmills.com/Magnum-0/ No question.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MrYenko posted:

It's marble instead of granite, but Ikea makes the Ädelsten, which can be flipped over for a shallower molcajete-type tool.

It's not as good as the real version of either, but its pretty good, and CHEAP.

Pages and months back, but this has been my mortar of choice for years and I never knew this.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mystes posted:

I suspect one reason the Marshalls stores occasionally get legitimately good stuff that isn't garbage specifically produced for them is because companies want to sell off extra stock or seconds without advertising the fact that they're doing so or providing an avenue for normal potential customers to track them down which would cannibalize sales and/or drive down prices.

A lot of their stock is the last bits of discontinued items, whether totally discontinued or just revamped. A significant chunk of that is licensed items in sell-off, which is why they often have celebrity-branded stuff from no-longer relevant celebrities.

You have to treat shopping there as panning for gold, and have your phone in hand.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubG posted:

What are you transporting? If your lunch possibilities include bowl-of-something that you want to keep warm, and assuming you're not too price sensitive, I'd go with a Zojirushi Mr Bento. But if your lunch is usually a sandwich, bread and cheese, or something like that it would be comically fussy overkill.

Absolutely seconding this. We only got a few months of use out of them before we stopped bringing lunch to work (because we stopped GOING to work), but even though lunches are leftovers 90% of the time, it made it a better, healthier, more pleasant experience all around. Huge step up from just a delitainer. The only hitch is they're nominally not dishwasher-safe, and I haven't tested that, so you have to hand wash after eating or as soon as returning home.

http://ec5.images-amazon.com/images/I/71suevcTRLS.pdf is a good comparison and https://www.zojirushi.com/app/category/vacuum-insulated-lunch-jars shows the full line, including the Tiffin version. We actually both got the Stainless Steel Ms. Bento, which is a perfectly serviceable lunch unless you're a construction worker or something. The Tiffin is actually really interesting because all three of the insulated bowls are "soup" bowls with the gasket that makes them not leak if you put in something saucy or soupy. But the standard "insulated" bowl with the locking lid is fine for anything not actually liquid.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Not a Children posted:

Looking for testamonials on the Panasonic FlashXpress, which one of my buddies has been raving about lately. I toast a lot of leftovers in my trusty 15 year old uneven-heating $5-at-a-yard-sale black and decker. Is the wonder of infrared heating worth dropping $130 on?

My brother has it and it's like magic. Only caveat is the slightly small size.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Thermapens on holiday sale. Finally got myself one because my good-enough non-thermapen digital thermometer was finally NOT good enough and cost me some butterscotch.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Sauciers! I have a 3 qt one that's older than me and I love the shape of -- a Wear Ever 38943 (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-wearever-stainless-clad-1845153534 is the same item). I'm watching eBay for one because the handle on mine is giving up the ghost after a half-century, but can anyone recommend one with nice curved sides and not too fancy/heavy?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
From a few pages back, but if you want a smart rice cooker and don't want to spring for a Zoji, I have been very happy with my Cuckoo.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

JoshGuitar posted:

I've had the FoodSaver FM3920 (apparently discontinued) for a couple years and I've been very happy with it. Before that, I had a $25 Rival for a good 10 years that I was also very happy with, then gave to my sister when I upgraded. The only reason I upgraded was I wanted the accessory hose for jar sealing; although the bag cutter is a nice feature too. YMMV, but in my experience anything from a half reputable brand with the features you want should be good.

I've actually been second guessing my need for the accessory hose though. My FoodSaver doesn't live on the counter, and when I use part of a jar of something I've vacuum sealed I'm too lazy to grab a small appliance and seal it again. I've seen people use a hand vacuum pump (like for brake bleeding) that would probably be more convenient even if it's a little more effort. Maybe if I had infinite counter space so all my small appliances were always out and plugged in :shrug:

The problem with actual FoodSaver brand vacuum sealers is that none of the currently available models combine (a) internal roll storage/cutter; (b) non-automatic start (lever+button rather than "just insert and hope the sensor works"); and (c) the "new" sealer bar/vacuum divot configuration that seals closer to the end. That said, I'd get a 2100.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

um excuse me posted:

Is Misen... good? The first time I ever heard of the brand was via ad on Facebook. Since half the crap on there is just rebranded stuff that exists already that they hope you won't google, I have negative associations with anything I learn about there. Looks like their main product is their carbon steel pans. Carbon steel is kinda mediocre as a cooking material. Its not particularly hard, non stick, rust proof, or thermally conductive. What is the appeal?

I was a backer for the Kickstarter for their original knife, and I also have their carbon steel pans and dutch oven. They're exactly what they aim to be: less than top of the line (but not by much) at prices that are only a little more than entry level. You can certainly buy better knives and pans, but not at their price point (not within $100 of their price point in some cases). They also stand behind their products-- I snapped the tip off my original knife (apparently a problem with the first production run) and they had me a new one inside a week.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've heard a lot of things about misen but I've never heard anyone say "The best product anywhere remotely near their price point" so I'm extremely skeptical of that statement

The only one I'd say that for is the dutch oven. The rest I would say are very good or narrow best at their price point, the dutch oven is behind LC, sure, but I think it's better than anything cheaper than that, and at 1/3 the price of an LC of same size.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

mystes posted:

You can apparently get a Ninja CREAMi (like a budget pacojet) for $150 from Kohls right now (using the code GOSAVE25) according to slickdeals. I got a Cuisinart compressor ice cream maker at the start of the pandemic so I think I will have to restrain myself but I figured I would post it in case anyone else is thinking about buying one.

Wow thanks! I had a $40 gift card I was never ever going to use otherwise, so this worked out real well for me, getting the after tax price down to $120.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I never shop at Kohls so I wasn't aware of this but someone in the egullet thread pointed it out -- if you bought this at Kohls, you'll get just enough "Kohls Cash" to buy a 4 pack of pints.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BrianBoitano posted:

I picked up a half gallon of TJ vanilla to test the different treatments - one pint original, the rest melted, frozen then spun. 1x Ice Cream, 1x Gelato, 1x whatever of those I think needs 2 spins to improve it. The goal is to understand how changing that one variable has an impact, though it'll only really apply to this one recipes balance of fat / sugar / stabilizers.

Curious as to what you'll find out. I just did my first pint, literally just a bag of frozen berries I had on hand and two tablespoons of homemade labneh. Did it on lite ice cream, needed a respin, but perfect after that.
Didn't we used to have an ice cream thread?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I tried the "just use a can of canned fruit" thing in the Creami. Just dumped a can of peaches in syrup and froze it. Spun beautifully, texture is incredibly good, flavor is dilute. I think canned fruit is just too much syrup to too little fruit. Oh well, I suspect it might be worth trying again using two cans worth of fruit and only enough syrup to get a flat top.
Going to try a Philadelphia vanilla next, see how it does with just dairy/sugar/flavoring.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

eke out posted:

I tried blending together:
- a can of peaches (syrup drained)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid
- a couple spoonfuls of peach jam
- enough half and half to make it equal two pint containers

worked very well, the jam and especially the acid do a good job rounding out the fruit flavor and making it seem fresher and juicier instead of the flatter tinned flavor.

Thanks for tips here and above! I expected it wouldn't be great, but I learned something for the cost of a can of peaches. I have high hopes for my currently-freezing Red Zinger sorbet and simple vanilla base I'm going to use to try mixin mode.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubG posted:

Things can be cooled to temperatures lower than their freezing point, and when you're going to mechanically lathe them with a high-speed rotary blade you want that so your poo poo remains frozen while you dump a shitload of mechanical energy into it.

Also a lot of home freezers aren't that good, etc. so they're being cautious. The recommended temp range is -7-9F and I've hit that at 8 hours for some bases, depending on composition, starting temp, etc.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I used the Serious Eats "30 minute no cook" Philly base and it came out great if perhaps a little too sweet. FGR: all-cream is going to be way too rich (and some report getting butter globules) -- I've definitely had best success with 6oz milk 6oz cream or just 12 oz half and half, whether going richer with egg yolks and melted chocolate or keeping it milky by adding powdered skim (per the SE recipe). If anything I think the biggest departure from traditional recipes is Creami needs less sugar, both in that lower-sugar recipes seem to spin just fine and the ratio I'm used to seems sweeter from the Creami than my old-school machine.

What I should really do is make a quart batch and spin a pint while churning a pint, really get a good test going.

Hell, because I've got a compressor machine and 7 Creami pints, I could do multiple tests in a day...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

PolishPandaBear posted:

A family member got me this and I actually really like it. Flips open easily and then can be closed without much thought because of the magnet. Not sure if this is the exact one: https://www.amazon.com/Totally-Bamb...ps%2C135&sr=8-5 .

This is exactly what I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

barkbell posted:

Looking to buy a super expensive rice cooker. Aways had zojirushis in the pst and they some really crazy new mode that came out this year that i am looking at. But then i saw cuckoo brand and their higher end ones have pressure cooking alongside them? These seem like they could replace a separate pressure cooker while hitting higher pressure too. The only thing they lack is a searing or sauteing function, which is fine. Theres very little information on them, in english at least. Does anyone have experience with these?

A bit of a throwback here, but I can absolutely vouch for Cuckoo -- not only do we love the one we got as a wedding gift, I have a bit of neighborhood pride, as their primary US facility is the next block over. Keeps rice warm and fresh for days, too, which is nice.