Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

horchata posted:

Ok but does it finally have a magnet so I can stick it on my fridge?

Nope, gotta buy the $13 sleeve for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dangling pointer posted:

Someone give a YouTuber the idea to modify a vitamix to be powered by a 2 stroke chainsaw or weed wacker engine.

e: What potato peeler should I get that doesn’t suck?

Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler 3-Pack Red/Green/Yellow https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001BCFTWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8190S5DVFABWBZY5C40N

Just keep in mind they have carbon steel blades. So if you don’t dry them off after cleaning, they will rust.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Okay now I've been doing some reading and while I don't think the foaming vitamix attachment is for me, does anyone here have the food processor kit for it?

Costco has it for $160 and it's very enticing to be able to use the vitamix for food processing vs getting a new appliance.

Just a heads up, it’s only compatible with their newer models. So you’ll want to check on compatibility.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

My friend just installed a new oven and these controls are certainly A Thing.

Any guesses on what the difference is between Bake With a Fan (I assume this is convection) and Air Fry?

If it's anything like the Breville, Airfry is going to be a higher fan speed.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

friendship ended with kitchenaid. got a six quart pro that's complete dogshit, terrible fit and finish, not satisfied with the amount of torque. is there a superior brand around that size that can handle regular commercial use, possibly enough power for a brioche? i can go higher in price if it's not garbage.

For bread doughs, in increasing cost and quality/durability, Bosch Universal, Ankarsum Original, and Robot Coupe would be ones to look into.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any recommendations for a deep fryer? I have a Fry Daddy Plus and really don’t like it much, it doesn’t get super hot and the oil capacity is so small that for any reasonable quantity of food it crashes the temp so badly it’s not really getting a good fry.

I am tempted to just get a stovetop one? Tramontina has a nice stainless one. Not sure if controlling the temp like that is going to be tedious though.

https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-USA-Inc-80114-512DS/dp/B01MRKI7DU/

Or should I get a bigger electric fryer? Not super super thrilled about yet another single purpose appliance but maybe it’ll be easier.

FYI, what you linked isn't stainless. It's aluminum with a non-stick interior coating. It's just the lid and included basket that are stainless.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

nwin posted:

What are you using it for? I got a cheap cuisinart ice cream maker where you have to freeze the bowl. I ended up making ice cream like 3 times and then it was too much of a hassle compared to just buying it (tempering the eggs, etc.

Greek yogurt, fruit, and some sugar-free Walden's syrup blended together before freezing. I end up having to do the re-spin option to get the best texture. You can skip the blending bit, but it's not as smooth a texture. I definitely like it a more than a frozen bowl machine. It's all ready to eat after processing with a Creami in 2-3 minutes vs. ~20ish minutes of churning + additional freezing to firm things up.

Sorted, did a video on it recently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dneSgw3fmhg

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I gotchu buddy. I also add about a teaspoon of white pepper powder

Here's the webpage link for anyone wanting to save it to a digital recipe box: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017629-chinese-smashed-cucumbers-with-sesame-oil-and-garlic

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

My Anova circulator impeller motor burned out. It’s my second one, first was replaced under warranty but still I’m unimpressed with their quality. I’m looking at the polyscience on that’s less than $50 more than the Anova. Any recommendations?

If you are okay with having to use a smartphone to control things, the Joule is nice. I’ve had no complaints with mine.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LC's default knob material used to be plastic so you'd have to buy an all metal replacement. Looks like that's no longer the case.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm trying to make my own bratwurst for the current ICSA and can't get hold of a sausage stuffer by the deadline. Is my best bet here to use a pastry bag, or are there other options I'm overlooking?

Not sure it’s a better option, but you could do it by hand with a soup spoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4qPrHNn7D4

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

FaradayCage posted:

Any thoughts on 3-ply vs 5-ply vs 7-ply?

Doesn't matter, get whatever floats your boat. It's the thickness of the conductive metal (aluminum or copper) that has an impact on the heat spread, not the number of layers. And even then, the differences are going to be unnoticeable for most. So get whatever suits your needs (Cost, Looks, styling, etc)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Just looked into these cuckoos and after seeing the spread of $50 to $550 I think I can safely say I do not want the most expensive one. Where do the diminishing returns kick in?

Where ever the microchipped models start. It’s be the Micom/Fuzzy logic stuff with Zoji. Not sure what the equivalent jargon is for Cuckoo.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Man, I forgot that I lost my mandolin when I moved. Anyone got recommendations on a good one?

Bron Mandoline - Most expensive manual. Really adjustable, all metal, can do pretty much any cut you want. Has a hand guard that works.

Benriner Super - Still expensive, but not as bad as Bron. Could also go for the smaller models if you don't need the Super's width. Much simpler to use and clean up. But more limited in the cuts it can do, really meant for finer cuts. Also needs a cut glove cause the hand guard sucks.

Food Processor w/ slicing discs - Harness the power of electricity.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Shun mandolin

quote:

suggested retail price is $507 MSRP, with a sale price of $399.95

:stare:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

I switched to this RSVP one that Cooks Illustrated liked, and I've been happy with it. It has a nice high foot, which helps minimize backwash when draining food, and the holes are a good balance between small enough to hold small things and big enough to not jam up with little bits like mesh can. It also avoids the issues a lot of metal colanders have where there's a ring around the bottom inside that doesn't drain.

Seconding the RSVP, I've had mine for almost a decade now and it's been great.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Does anyone have a Wok they would recommend? I'm hoping to do some asian-style stir fry and I've never done wok cooking before, so I don't imagine I'd jump right into top-of-the-line, but something that's a good value that still provides the main benefits woks provide. It'd be on a gas stove.

The Joyce Chen woks get the job done. Handles are removable so it's easy to oven season them if you want to go that route.
Flat Bottomed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4
Round bottom: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RBTH

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I’m at an Indian market. Anyone from the subcontinent know what this is?

Not from subcontinent, but that is a coconut meat shaver for getting the white stuff out of shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jLtGkP4jmI

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Lazy Fair posted:

For Christmas I was thinking of replacing my $20 Aroma rice cooker with one of those beloved Zojirushi fuzzy logic (tm) rice cookers, however the prices on those seem to have skyrocketed lately and I'm wondering if at that price point I should instead be looking at one of Zojirushi's top end induction heating models instead?

Reasons why I want to replace the basic Aroma rice cooker:

1 The glass lid handle is attached to the glass with 2 screws. This is structurally sound but a cleaning headache as the screws sometimes get exposed to food during cooking and are not easy to clean, and during washing soapy water and food particles can get stuck between the handle and the glass requiring disassembly of what is otherwise a very simple and easy device.

2 The keep warm function doesn't really work well for long durations, so I'd love one which works good so I can just cook 1 batch of rice for multiple meals throughout the day.

Any recommendations, goons? It's kinda hard to tell the difference between a number of their models.

Is there any particular reason you want a fuzzy logic model vs the cheaper micom models? Micom models are hinged and have Keep Warm. The current 3-cup micom models on Amazon are ~$150. I paid $127 for my 3 cup micom model a little over a decade ago, so the price increase hasn't been that much. I don't think I've ever come up with a reason to upgrade to a fuzzy logic model in all that time. Heck the only reason I would upgrade, even now, is just for more capacity. I started cooking brown rice a lot more often and 3 cup models can only cook 2 cups of brown rice max.

Vegetable posted:

I’m not sure the fancier rice cookers are any easier to clean, for what it’s worth. My old fuzzy one had a hinge lid and it was equally challenging to keep it clean.

They aren't, in fact the super premium IH pressure ones are more of a pain since there are more bits to disassemble and clean.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

I thought micom and fuzzy logic were synonymous?

Whoops, I was mixing up the terms, Neuro Fuzzy not fuzzy logic. Micom and Neuro Fuzzy are both fuzzy logic. Just Neuro Fuzzy is just more advanced (some how) and has more settings. Though to make things more confusing, there are advanced Micom models that do a lot of the things the Neuro Fuzzy stuff does and are more expensive as a result. To the point they overlap in price point with the lower end Neuro Fuzzy models...

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I wanna get a wok to make popcorn in specifically. I use a big metal mixing bowl atm but it's a bit flimsy and unwieldly so I would rather use a small wok.

Specifically I don't want to make a huge amount of popcorn, so I'm wondering which size I should get. Also brands/construction if it matters. Anybody who has maybe some experience with woks who can give me an idea for a size?

If you looking for something to specifically make stovetop popcorn, have you considered an aluminum Whirley-Pop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Now that I think about it there should be a consumer food chopper that does “chop once and spit out” so you can get uniform onion and carrot dice

Closest I’ve seen is an $800 Waring

No clue what the quality is like.
$289 - https://www.amazon.com/Newhai-Commercial-Vegetable-Multifunctional-Automatic/dp/B0CLCNCXFB