Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I normally don't post unsolicited recommendations here but I got the Waring Pro double waffle maker for Christmas and I feel like I've finally found the holy grail of waffle makers. Waffles come out light and crisp on the outside. Being able to cook two at a time makes it actually useful for feeding the family. Cleanup is easy, and nothing sticks to the plates. Highly recommend.

Had oven-fried chicken tonight so I made cornbread waffles to serve with it. Turned out great.

I've been using this iron for years and it has held up really well. The two waffle capacity is a lifesaver - any time I am making waffles I am making waffles for a group so it kind of should be standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My kitchen is pretty well stocked, I could maybe use some prettier serving bowls or some copper cookware, but I generally buy what I need as I need it and try not to break the bank. Getting married and putting together a registry, is there any kitchen equipment someone would recommend as something that isn't standard but is nice to have? Right now its just a few semi-random coppers and a thermoworks. Might take the opportunity to replace some aging all-clad? My family really, really doesn't like gifting cash.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Depends; where is the registry going to be?

It is with Thankful, so I can pull items from anywhere online.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cuisinart 8 piece tri-ply is Amazon's deal of the day

All of my pots and pans are 5+ years old and I've been eyeballing this set. Anyone know if they're worth the $200 price tag?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Opinions on electric smokers? Vs low-and-slow in the oven?

We have a stupid condo rule that prohibits charcoal and propane on our balconies. I haven't grilled or smoked since we moved here. I've had good luck slow cooking items in the oven, though. I'm about to put a 9-pound pork shoulder in the oven at 250 for 10 hours. It'll come out as tender as barbecued pork, but with none of the smoky flavor or crust.

I just discovered that electric smokers exist. I know electric grills are poo poo, but are electric smokers decent?

I'm not looking for comparisons to charcoal or propane smokers. I'm wondering if an electric smoker can produce better results than just cooking slow in the oven.

If this is the wrong thread, please point me to the right one. Thanks.

My electric smoker is great - but you still give off a ton of smoke and people will not know it is electric and may report you to the board anyway.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Looking for a good instant read meat thermometer. Any suggestions?

Also, do I need one for the oven? To see if my 325 F is actually at 325F? I have a laser thermometer, so I assume that would be just as accurate as an oven one?

When in doubt, Thermapen.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Quite A Tool posted:

I need a good thermal drip coffee set up under $100, anyone have suggestions? We made the mistake of getting rid of a yard sale mr. coffee one when we moved and I've been using a hot plate cheapo for three years. I need better coffee in my life

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMJD6DE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Has served me well for a few years for when I need to make drip instead of espresso. There are a few size and models, most of which are edging just over your budget but are great if you're willing to throw in an extra $20.

Note that if you need better coffee in your life it is going to be primarily via beans and a grinder, not necessarily a better drip.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doing some end of year self present shopping, what is the current tepid puddle machine of choice?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flaggy posted:

Want to get a hamburger smasher for smashed burgers. Whats the latest hotness?

Do you mean a spatula?

e; I got something like https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Metal-Griddle-Spatula/dp/B07H4TDDX7/ref=sr_1_87?keywords=spatula&qid=1551383903&s=gateway&sr=8-87 a decade ago that serves its purpose.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Breville is generally good. I’m a former chef and I love my cuisinart food processor linked below, but it seems like it’s gone up in price recently. I think I paid about $120 for it.
Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY 14-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AXM4WV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B54HCbFQP5ZHT

Seconding that this thing is built like a tank and well worth the investment if you can swing it.

Also mixing bowls don't matter. I inevitably use whatever set my mother most recently gifted me, which refreshes them every year or two. I think i have two plastic sets and a glass set.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I actually really like glass mixing bowls so that when I have a bunch out on the counter I can more readily see what's in them, also I think I just enjoy using them more than the stainless, not sure why but I always grab the glass bowls. Maybe it's the way the light comes through them while you're beating eggs etc that just seems more aesthetic or something.

I used simple stainless ones years ago in a restaurant setting (I'm not a chef) and they always were beat to poo poo so maybe I'm associating them with that (or associating them with working for $6/hr emptying rat traps in the back of a hellhole diner).

To me stainless steel are the lovely tiny bowls my mother used growing up that always screeched when the fork hit the side while she scrambled eggs or whatever.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Sextro posted:

I've never understood the silicone rings on mixing bowls, but I just realized I always hold my bowls off the counter whenever I'm mixing in them. Weird.

So you don't knock them over if you mix something and set it down for a bit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm looking for grilling tool recommendations... my brother is getting a new rig for his birthday, and I'd like to pick up a spatula, a fork, whatever else seems useful.

I'm probably overthinking this (ie, just go get a Coleman set at the box store), but I've gotten so much useless grilling poo poo over the years that I figured I'd check.

Fork, tongues, spatula, brush. You don't really need anything fancy and a box set is probably overkill already.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My oven was absolute poo poo and all of my notebooks had time written down twice -- one for what it was supposed to take and one for what it took in my oven. I also bought a blowtorch because browning never worked right. A few packages of quarry tile and an oven thermometer later, i can scratch those out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Equipment adjacent question: I've been using the same dinnerware set for something like a decade. Was one of those $100 box sets for bowls/plates/side plats/mugs for 8 that I got alongside a similar flatware set. While the flatware has held up surprisingly well, the plates are starting to show some wear and a few are cracked. 99% sure this was just something I bought at a williams sonoma sale. Any good stuff available these days or should I just keep an eye out for their sales?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

NIGARS posted:

Super fine is right. If there's any kind of light breeze, the pepper out of my Peugeot blows away before it hits my plate.

My FIL got a Peugeot for my birthday last year and it is one of those things I kick myself for not having bought myself years ago.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SubG posted:

Yeah. Not those specific ones, but that basic design. They're cheap and all, but they're not that great at cleaning bottles. Specifically when you've got bottles with a narrow neck and comparatively wide shoulder (like a woozy bottle) they're bad at getting at crud in the inside of the shoulder.

I was cleaning out some almost-empty woozies of homemade hot sauce, and they always get little high water marks where a bit of sediment ends up sticking. Getting at that poo poo with one of those bottle brushes is a loving pain. I mean it's not the end of the fuckin' world or anything, but it would be nice if there was a better design out there. The OXO is great for this kind of poo poo in large bottles (like old-style pint milk bottles) but looking around amazon there doesn't seem to be a similar design but long and narrow. Which is what I want.

For bottles like that I tend to fill them 1/4 with salt water and shake hard.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I feel like my wife would blow up a pressure cooker and haven't ever seen the point in getting one outside of time saving. I work from home full time and generally can afford to wait however many hours for something to reduce/cook. Is there anything special about a pressure cooker you just can't do without one?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have a 7.5 gallon kettle that I do stock/big sauce or soup batches in already, that I have enough trouble storing, that I just never bothered. Should I ever get a better kitchen or a garage, god help me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Good sale on the 6 qt Kitchenaid Professional stand mixer for $260 :eyepop:
https://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-KP26M9XCCU-6-Quart-Bowl-Lift-Professional/dp/B01MXRL53Y/?th=1

This is a bowl lift model, 575 watt motor with metal gearing (some of the cheaper models use plastic gears in the drive train). I have it, and it is the model to use for making bread.

Almost picked this up, Stanley is like 10 years old and every time I do a heavier dough you can hear him struggling with it. Anyone who did pick this up as their first stand mixer, remember to get beater blades -- a paddle mixer with little scrapers on the end of the blades so you don't have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Are the pasta attachments for KitchenAid stand mixers any good? My dad really wants to get the 5-piece deluxe roller/cutter set with the 25% off coupon we got with our mixer purchase.

I got one of those sets years and years ago for Christmas and they're fine. I had been using a hand roller prior to that that was tricky to run myself with feeding the dough + turning the crank + catching everything, but my kitchen is also tiny and has limited space for clamping. You def don't need a 5 piece set, I think 3 of them from mine still have stickers on them as I just use the flat roller and the angel hair cutter.

Would def recommend a manual machine over it, I would never have bought the kitchenaid one if it wasn't a gift and i'm 90% sure it was regifted to me (it was open and I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to return it).

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

why spend 30-40 dollars on all this separate equipment when you could buy one device that does it all for more than twice the price??

Congrats, you've been disrupted.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Please do not use any of these materials for a cutting board.

Well if we hit our stretch goals..

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

bamhand posted:

What makes a 250 dollar dutch oven better than a 50 dollar lodge? Tougher enamel?

Lodge doesn't have a star wars line.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

10 Beers posted:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of our old plastic food storage containers and move to glass so they last longer. We'll need multiple sizes so some kind of combo set, I'm guessing. Any suggestions?

Are you talking about bulk storage for things or more like leftovers in deli containers? Bulk storage in glass is going to be a little costly, but there are often deals for glass leftover sets. I picked up https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4K8HQ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on sale like a year ago and they've held up well, though sometimes the lids can be trouble to attach if they weren't cleaned well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

No Wave posted:

Don't put the lids in the dishwasher/microwave

Jokes on you, I don't own either!

God I need a bigger/better kitchen.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Skyarb posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Plus-Programmable-Sterilizer/dp/B075CYMYK6?th=1

This is on Amazon's dumb treasure truck thing. I like the idea of a small (I am single man) cookery product. Is instant pot really as amazing as people say it is?

It is a fancy crockpot/hyperbolic time chamber. They're pretty good, the real thing that people love them for is that you don't need to be a great chef to get decent results out of one. 3 quarts is super super small though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Skyarb posted:

Yeah it is small but if I am only cooking for myself it seems kinda perfect.

You can fill a larger one and have leftovers, you can use it when you have company, or you could just not fill it all the way and still cook for 1. Going with the tiny model removes your options - always buy bigger than you need when it comes to pots.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If prices are that good at Christmas I'll probably buy the biggest one just because my current crockpot is way too small. During the kitchen merger we kept my wife's because it had a little matching one for sauces, despite the fact that it can't fit a pork shoulder without major trimming. I feel like its been enough time that I can quietly replace it if I can resist saying I Told You So.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recs for solid kitchen blowtorches under $20?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WQNX8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got this like two years ago, its fine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

8 Quart instant pot on Amazon right now for $99. Think we'll see any better deals on Black Friday?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

check camelx3. lots of instant pot deals all year long but black Friday should be even lower

Ended up checking there and it said $99 was the lowest listed for the 8 quart, so ended up grabbing it. I'll use it twice between now and black friday for planned pork butt + pot roasts, so worth it even if it sinks a little lower.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

What about the knockoff egg grills are they any good

I was just looking at getting a Char Griller Akorn Jr. Seems to be decent, but may just be too damned small.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

There's an XL with stand and some other misc stuff nearby on Craigslist right now for ~$550. There is no way that is not a scam.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

Cuisinart 14 cup food processor for $99 - https://amzn.to/2q2Ua7S

Very good deal, I have this exact food processor and it works like a charm.

I've had mine for 2 years and I abuse the hell out of it. It is going strong.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

I hardly use mine at all - mostly for hummus. What else should I be making?

Off the top of my head I use mine mostly for humus, nut butters, pesto, chimichurri, and carne asada. There are some pie crust and other dough methods that use it too, though I don't.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

wormil posted:

Boos is ridiculously overpriced IMO but I don't have a brand recommendation. Might buy a locally made board, lots of people make them.

You can get well made boards for reasonable prices on Etsy too.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

barkbell posted:

Thanks. What should I be looking for in terms of kind of wood, end or edge grain, etc?

Any endgrain cutting board should be fine. There are probably some maple ones for cheap. Nicer wood will look prettier and maybe hold up a little better in the long term, but functionally doesn't really matter.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GP2MTXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just replace them when they start to look too ragged and get tough to clean. Pretty wood boards are for serving, or for carving bread (and then serving the bread on it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I've got a gift card for King Arthur Flour, any recommendations for stuff from them? They have one of the scales that was recommended earlier (the KD-7000, I think that was what was recommended) so I'm definitely going to pick that up since the price is less expensive than a lot of other retailers.

Has anybody tried their bread baking dishes? They've got a few unglazed clay bakers that look neat, one uncovered round one and one covered long one.

They also had some special baguette pans with perforated bottoms, but I feel like I should try for a more rustic loaf. Like a no-knead sourdough kind of vibe.

Edit: This https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/long-covered-baker and this https://shop.kingarthurflour.com/items/bread-baking-bowl are what I'm talking about.

I use their flour, I sometimes get milk powder and espresso powder from them but you can usually buy it cheaper elsewhere. Stuff wise, I have a stoneware crock from them for my sourdough, as well as some bench scrapers and bowl scrapers. Maybe a few proofing bins.