Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If you are lucky to have an Ikea nearby that allows pick-ups, here's one that's 7 bucks for that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

They're also priced like All-Clads and I wouldn't spend that much on a nonstick that will eventually degrade even if it is more durable.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

And if you still want a deli slicer that lasts for years, check your Craigslist for a used Hobart or any other commercial-grade brands which you might get lucky and get one for cheap from all the restaurant closures.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Follow-up to this question: I finally got around to giving the pan a good scrubbin' and it looks great. Not even any pitting where there was surface rust. Only oversight is that I forgot it has a wood (teak) handle. So how the heck do I season this thing? Will the handle survive several 30 minute stints in the oven at 200 C? Other option is seasoning on the stove-top but its a gas stove, so almost impossible to distribute the heat evenly and I think it might be too hot in any case.

E: Tried wrenching on the handle. There doesn't appear to be any way to screw it off. It's probably the only pan handle in my kitchen that isn't slightly loose :v:

I've seen the wet towel + foil method used for seasoning carbon steel woks with wooden handles in the oven, you could try that. (though most guides haven't kept it in the oven longer than 30 minutes).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

If I didn't have a tiny rear end kitchen in my studio, I'd probably get a good convection toaster oven. I use my regular oven just to reheat much more than my microwave.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I am considering buying a Rice Cooker and looking for something compact as I'm not going to be using it everyday. Seen good reviews for the Yum-Asia Panda rice cooker, anyone got any experience with them at all?

Kind of pricey for a rice cooker you're only going to be using on occasion. What kind of rice will you be cooking?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Instant pot rice is meh unless you're able to get the exact water/rice ratio correct and prepare it properly. My Zojirushi gets it consistently right with less work. That being said, I wouldn't get a dedicated rice cooker unless you love eating rice at least several times a week.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I'll probably wait a month or two for reviews and feedback to trickle in about the Anova oven. Don't really want to buy a launch appliance without knowing if there are any QA issues.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I probably still use my microwave just enough to not get rid of it/replace it with a toaster oven. Like boiling only a cup of water or reheating garbage fast food in a minute or two. I do use my oven a lot more though.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

bamhand posted:

Are the 80 dollar thermoworks readers significantly better than the 20 dollar thermopro readers? The descriptions provided by the companies make them sound similar.

As someone who got the cheaper clone, I'd imagine the Thermoworks one would have a better build quality since my thermometer's plastic hinge eventually broke from constant use.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

There's kits that make it foolproof to sharpen with stones like Langsky or Edge Pro. If you're really cheap you could get chinese knockoffs of the former and just use quality stones for it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

To that goon who bought the Anova combi-oven, just wanted to see what you think of it now that you've had it for a couple of weeks now.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

It takes up more space but I love the crank handle pepper mills over the door knob ones.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Also get the foodsaver that lets you lay your bag flat, I got the model Costco sells where you have to awkwardly hold the bag up in order for it to suck and it's pretty annoying.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

There’s nothing wrong with non-stick you snobs

Seriously. I'll spend the $20 or so every year on a nonstick if it means cooking my eggs hassle-free.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

For woks, I usually buy my woks from this store, the carbon steel one.
https://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/reworkwok.html

I like the ones with the metal handle since it makes seasoning it in the oven much more easier.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 9, 2021

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

horchata posted:

Is the thermapen magnetic? I like my javelin cause I can just stick it on the fridge when I'm not using it.

Sadly it's not. Won't surprise me if that's what they'll include on the MK5.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Meat slicer/deli slicer recommendations?

I'm starting a business selling bacon. It's a simple 1-person company smoking whole pork bellies and slicing them for sale. I've never owned a deli slicer before.

I won't be using the slicer every day. Once a week, I'll slice three pork bellies (about 15 pounds each) into slices between 1/16 and 1/4 inch thick.

Because this is a startup, cheaper is better. But I'll pay extra for good quality.

There are "Chef's Choice" slicers that cost a little over $100. Then there are Hobart slicers that start at $1,500 (and go up to five figures). Can you help me choose something?

You could probably get a used Hobart or any NSF-grade meat slicer for like $500 due to all the failing businesses.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

ElegantFugue posted:

I've got a cheap toaster oven that I use to cook foods constantly, much more often than my full oven. I'm looking to upgrade since I use it so much despite it missing basic features like a way to see how many minutes it has left on cooking. I'm interested in additionally getting one that can do air frying, as it's handy to have but my current air fryer is this weird giant-mug-shaped thing that's a pain to clean.
I saw this recommended in a thread recently, and it looks like the same model my stepdad (who spends ages investigating appliances before he buys them) purchased for his own use. Is this a good model?
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV900BSS-Convection-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01N5UPTZS

After using mine for a couple of weeks, the only real flaw is that the ideal use of the air fryer feature means not being able to use the drip tray (won't fit under the basket). Which means oil just shits all over the heating elements and is quite annoying to clean up.

I solved that issue by using parchment paper, but wanted to let you know since you want something easier to clean.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

I use Kuhn Rikons because the lever is easier on my wrists than the knob grinders.

I do want to get a spice grinder because I found out I happen to use a poo poo load of pepper and trying to get a cup by hand was incredibly painful.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Any cutlery store usually has a knife sharpening service.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Breville oven is good, keep in mind it doesn't have a built in drip pan like this Cuisinart. I actually wanted the latter, but it was too tall to fit in my kitchen space.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

There's actually a sale right now at Sur La Table for top end brands like Le Creuset, Staub, All-Clad, etc.

I went with Lodge for my first dutch oven recently, but only to see if I'll actually use a dutch oven enough.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Kalsco posted:

Less of a request and more of a clarification: any reasons not to get https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/dexam-carbon-steel-34-cm-wok for use as a wok on an electric stove? I've read a lot of disagreement on ideal wok thickness, but I'm not sure how much it'll really matter in the end. This seems to be the only thing that hits the mark of 1) cheap and 2) functional. I'm Canadian so a lot of online sources will cost an arm and leg thanks to shipping and the like. There's a fair number of restaurant supply stores but my working hours prohibit travel to them because they're basically only open when I work and they don't have functional websites, or the ones that do just stock things for proper gas burners. Thanks!

I have a carbon steel wok and it works for what I use it for. I do prefer all metal woks versus ones with wooden handles because I don't have to worry about burning the handles when seasoning in the oven.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

The reason I haven't went with a chamber sealer over just a regular sealer is that they are bulky and heavy as poo poo and the bags only come in one size. I remember eyeing the Vacmaster a few years back, but it was like 50 lbs and my tiny kitchen can't simply put that away somewhere.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 7, 2022

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

At least for me, the next up from the Breville Smart Oven would be the Anova Precision Oven. But got to wait for the former to crap itself out so I can give myself an excuse to replace it. :chef:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

Why would you buy a wok like this, when you could buy an 8kW induction wok instead?

or even better get a turkey fryer and hope the neighbors don't call the firefighters on you

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

prayer group posted:

Hey, what's a good waffle iron?

I use this one since it's the only one I can find that can flip a waffle without taking up valuable storage space.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

smackfu posted:

So the idea of sous vide is that you put stuff in 150 degree water and eventually it entirely comes up to 150, rather than heating the outside at 450 until the inside is 150.

Does that really work with air?

combi ovens do it with humidified air, though I doubt a typical LG oven has that feature since actual combi ovens are expensive AF

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Eeyo posted:

I uhh don’t think they loaded that dishwasher very good. Right side up bowl? A random mystery tube? What is even going on there.

if it's an asian household, the dishwasher is just another place to store extra poo poo

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Thoht posted:

Hard to go wrong with Cambro for dry goods storage.

yup, if you have a costco business center nearby, they sell 22 qt buckets that is able to hold 20 lbs of rice (which I use for my rice storage)

halokiller fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 28, 2023

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm looking for a new Belgian waffle iron. Do people have strong preferences on round vs square? Is there a recommended model/style?

get one that has removable plates; being flippable is nice but tends to make them bulky if you have value kitchen space. this is only model I found that has removable plates, can flip, and still not take up a lot of room

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

you can also check out cuckoo rice cookers since I've seen them go on sale more often (it's the korean equivalent of zojirushi)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

if you're willing to wait weeks for it to arrive, you could get that same knife protector for less than a buck on aliexpress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

or just go to a local knife or cutlery shop and pay like :20bux:, I probably wouldn't trust a random guy to sharpen fancy japanese knives, but should be adequate for mercers