Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

meefistopheles posted:

I'm working on putting together a whole new kitchen and I need a little advice. Are there any must have features for either an induction cooktop
If it is anyway possible a powerful externally vented hood exhaust is the most important feature after running water and electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

If it is anyway possible a powerful externally vented hood exhaust is the most important feature after running water and electricity.

I'm doing a whole new kitchen and this is the thing I am most excited about by a large margin.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

tonedef131 posted:

I actually have this covered already, and I'm very excited. I can finally stop poisoning everyone with chili oil smoke.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve got two of them one for me and one for the missus.

I can't tell if this is a bit. If its not I would like a trip report lol

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

meefistopheles posted:

I'm working on putting together a whole new kitchen and I need a little advice. Are there any must have features for either an induction cooktop or a dishwasher? I know someone earlier was singing the praises of Bosch dishwashers.

Bosch appliances are all good. They have very nice ovens and cooktops as well.

Otherwise a small feature that I have come to really appreciate is having the garbage in a drawer directly under my workstation, so I can just sweep in all the trash. I dont really know where the trash in US kitchen normally is, but in Germany its most often under the sink, which isn't really super practical.

Not mine, but similar:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hmm

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

so thirsti

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At this point, I'm willing to try it just to have a system that's not sodastream.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My previous rice bin unfortunately fell victim to a horde of tiny beetles that I only noticed after I'd probably eaten untold numbers of them. I probably overreacted by throwing the whole thing out but that's water under the bridge. Any recommendations for a new one?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How much rice are you looking to store?

One relatively inexpensive option for bulk storage would be a 5 gallon food-safe bucket, topped by a gamma seal lid. The lids are a ring that press-fits onto the bucket, then it's a giant screw top which should seal out any baddies. Doesn't look fancy but it does the job.

The Menards near me sells both of them for really cheap (looks like $6.20 per lid and $7.10 for a bucket) you can also get them on Amazon but they look more expensive. Menards can check on local stock, or you can have them ship but I've never bought anything online from them.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Menards

You should check a map of Menards locations. They're a great store but they're only really in the midwest.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's sad that some people can't save big money when they shop Menards :banjo:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sorry, should have specified. I'm looking for something that can hold a 20 pound bag's worth of rice, that I'll be accessing fairly frequently (2~3 times a week).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The bucket and gamma seal lid still fits the bill. The thing is, even the best storage just keeps out new bad guys. If there are already eggs in your rice (and there are), and it’s not fridged or frozen, eventually they grow up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At this point, I'm willing to try it just to have a system that's not sodastream.

Is there something to know about the SodaStream People?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They're fine if you don't care about illegal Israeli settlements in Palestine

Also their max pressure and razor blade pricing models are poo poo

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BrianBoitano posted:

They're fine if you don't care about illegal Israeli settlements in Palestine

Also their max pressure and razor blade pricing models are poo poo

Yup. You can get around the last one with a paintball air tank (some of which can be found food grade for this purpose) and an easily-sourced adapter to go from one to the other. This has the benefit of opening up nitrogenation as an option, but the first two are a bit harder to kitchen hack.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 27, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For flour, I use bait buckets. They'd work for rice too, although they can be a little hard to open. They're pretty cheap. "Squre green bait bucket" on google brings up lots of listings, and they're all made in the same factory in China. I use half-size ones for the more wholegrain flour types, so if bugs get into one then at least the others are okay.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hard to go wrong with Cambro for dry goods storage.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Buy a Bosch dishwasher. Period. They're quiet, they get dishes squeaky clean, they last forever.

We love ours. The silverware drawer at the top is great, and the auto opening is neat even though it adds 45 mins or so to the cycle (because they don’t want to vent steam onto your cabinets.)

I might get one with an external display next time, because being able to see how much time is left would be nice. Only other complaint is that it’s a bit finicky to turn back on if you accidentally open it during the cycle, so kids won’t do it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

smackfu posted:

I might get one with an external display next time, because being able to see how much time is left would be nice. Only other complaint is that it’s a bit finicky to turn back on if you accidentally open it during the cycle, so kids won’t do it.
Yeah, our previous Bosch had the controls-on-the-edge-of-the-door thing, and it became pretty drat annoying. I was grateful to go back to external controls with external lights.

Nettle Soup posted:

For flour, I use bait buckets. They'd work for rice too, although they can be a little hard to open. They're pretty cheap. "Squre green bait bucket" on google brings up lots of listings, and they're all made in the same factory in China. I use half-size ones for the more wholegrain flour types, so if bugs get into one then at least the others are okay.

drat, I need these. Thanks. What size fits a 20-lb sack of rice/flour?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

The ones in the images are the 17l size and it takes one 17l and one 10l to decant a 16kg sack of flour. I'd imagine a 10l one would be fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trakker-Secchio-17lt-Olive-Container/dp/B07D1QRFVN/262-1563467-4767745?psc=1
https://www.lincsproducts.co.uk/-no-lids---10-litre-camo-bait-square--plastic-bucket--lid--no-lids--648-p.asp

As examples.

Edit: Oh wait, the bag I emptied earlier was only 12.5kg, but I think you should still be good with the 10l ones, you can always pick up two and put the other in a cupboard until you need it, or they stack nicely too.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 27, 2023

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Those don't appear to be food grade.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

https://invopak.co.uk/17-l-plastic-square-olive-green-bucket-with-handle

This is the supplier everyone gets them from, and it tags them as food grade.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

We love ours. The silverware drawer at the top is great, and the auto opening is neat even though it adds 45 mins or so to the cycle (because they don’t want to vent steam onto your cabinets.)

We wanted the Thermador Sapphire again (it’s what was in the house when I bought it, and it lasted 12 years, so fair play) because it projects the remaining time onto the floor instead of just having an indicator light shine there, but we weren’t willing to wait for 3 months to get it. The Bosch is getting it done very nicely in its place, but I share the desire to know how long is left.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

https://invopak.co.uk/17-l-plastic-square-olive-green-bucket-with-handle

This is the supplier everyone gets them from, and it tags them as food grade.
Are you just assuming they're the same supplier because they look similar, or is that stated somewhere? The Trakker bucket, for example, is listed on several retailer's sites and none of the ones I checked either claimed they're food grade or gave Invopak as the supplier. Same with the product page on Trakker's own site.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I looked it up ages ago when they were out of stock everywhere, and it was the only place I could find actually selling them in bulk, so a good assumption they're at least the main importer for the UK market. When I bought them off ebay originally from a UK seller they were marked as food grade. People don't say where they get stuff from, especially on amazon.

I just went downstairs and checked, both the random ebay ones and the lincsplastics ones are identical in build quality and marked PP5 on the bottom.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Can anyone recommend a plugin induction cooktop that definitely operates above 20kHz? I just bought this recommended model and it makes a high pitched scream that's both barely audible but extremely loud and left my ears ringing for a day. I used it with an All-Clad saucepan and a triple clad stock pot with the same awful results lol

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I don't have any recommendations for you, but I had no idea those things had gotten so cheap. That might be on my Christmas list now!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

I just went downstairs and checked, both the random ebay ones and the lincsplastics ones are identical in build quality and marked PP5 on the bottom.
I mean it's your choice and all that. But the recycling number doesn't necessarily tell you anything. Polypropylene can be food grade, just like many plastics. But just because something is made out of PP and it's similar in construction to something that's food grade doesn't mean it is food grade. Like two items might be produced in the same factory in the same dimensions and one's food grade because it's using new plastic and the other isn't because it's using recycled plastic with a prohibited prior use. For example.

And precisely because you can't tell just by looking at it or checking the recycling number, I'd expect the seller to indicate if a container is food grade if it is. But, you know, maybe not for a bait bucket? I dunno.

And, like I said, it's certainly up to you. But food grade buckets aren't particularly expensive and it's not like you're going to be burning through them and having to re-buy every other week or something like that. So I don't really see the angle in rolling the dice on it.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Thoht posted:

Hard to go wrong with Cambro for dry goods storage.

yup, if you have a costco business center nearby, they sell 22 qt buckets that is able to hold 20 lbs of rice (which I use for my rice storage)

halokiller fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 28, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Slanderer posted:

Can anyone recommend a plugin induction cooktop that definitely operates above 20kHz? I just bought this recommended model and it makes a high pitched scream that's both barely audible but extremely loud and left my ears ringing for a day. I used it with an All-Clad saucepan and a triple clad stock pot with the same awful results lol

I had the same issue with the Duxtop - some pans whined. Nuwave gold worked great for me, and has finer controls to boot. I love mine!

Downloaded a spectrum analyzer since I'm 36 and my decrepit ears might have been hiding something. Nope, looks good!

Grey shows the highest level measured when trying 4 different pans at different heat levels. You can ignore the red - that's just what the sound was the exact second I stopped recording.

For comparison, here's the beeps from microwave, timer, and air fryer control beeps

And for shiggles:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Slanderer posted:

I’d try using it a few days, I bought the heavy duty Duxtop model and for the first day or two it would basically force my girlfriend to leave the kitchen, but it’s settled down now.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Speaking of induction cooktops, I think (unless my coop board has a cow for some reason) I’m going to switch to an induction range when I redo my kitchen a few months from now. I’ve seen some recommendations online for the GE PHS93XYPFS which seems reasonably well liked and has most of the features I think I want. Does anyone have any experience with it or other suggestions in around that price range?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
anyone have any recommendations for decently sized reusable meal prep containers? i tried the costco disposable ones but found those got too brittle when frozen and only got 2 or 3 uses out of each one.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I had the same issue with the Duxtop - some pans whined. Nuwave gold worked great for me, and has finer controls to boot. I love mine!

Downloaded a spectrum analyzer since I'm 36 and my decrepit ears might have been hiding something. Nope, looks good!

Grey shows the highest level measured when trying 4 different pans at different heat levels. You can ignore the red - that's just what the sound was the exact second I stopped recording.

That's really good (assuming the microphone had a decently-flat curve in the 10-20kHz region lol). Thanks for the recommendation. Was it this one?

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’d try using it a few days, I bought the heavy duty Duxtop model and for the first day or two it would basically force my girlfriend to leave the kitchen, but it’s settled down now.

I have no idea why this would be the case, from a burn-in perspective. Maybe it just killed your hearing at the operating frequency (this is a real thing, it's why alarm buzzers on certain equipment has to contain multiple frequency components in case people are selectively deaf around single frequencies)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Slanderer posted:

That's really good (assuming the microphone had a decently-flat curve in the 10-20kHz region lol). Thanks for the recommendation. Was it this one?

Yup! Only complaint is that the sticker for controls is coming off a touch - see here

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is that a bellman milk steamer? the biggest problem I ran into with a duxtop was that my moka pot was too small to work with it and that looks roughly the same size as a moka pot

(the duxtop whines less than my frigidaire induction range :negative:)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yup! Aren't most moka pots aluminum, so not compatible anyhow? I would test mine, but I gave it away a while back after realizing that the Flair + French press covered all my bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
S’ why I got a steel mokapot

That and being able to machine wash it

Although now I’m curious to try a side by side comparison to see if there’s any noticeable difference