Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Swing-A-Way can opener has rusted to death and is now 100% useless. What's a good manual replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wait, people use ziplock bags with vacuum sealers?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m figured it out

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 26, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I thought the "HD" stood for heavy duty.
It's allows you to Instagram your cookies in hi-def.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I bought a cheap plastic dish drying thingy with integrated drip board when I moved into this condo a year and a half ago, and the drip board has gotten gross enough that I think it’s time for an upgrade.

It seems like those wood ones that form an X are popular, but where do you dry utensils? Do you have a separate drip board that you can clean regularly? Is using a hand towel as a drip board a bad idea?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a cheap plastic dish drying thingy with integrated drip board when I moved into this condo a year and a half ago, and the drip board has gotten gross enough that I think it’s time for an upgrade.

It seems like those wood ones that form an X are popular
I didn’t find one of these on sale during Prime Day but as a general question, are the wood racks a bad idea? I ask because it seems like having regularly damp wood on your kitchen counter seems not ideal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't you generally want flared rims on your pots and saucepans to help with pouring? And isn't heavier generally a sign of better materials in cookware?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been thinking about getting an Instant Pot for a while. I have a basic Zojirushi rice cooker that I never use, but I like the idea of tossing in random veggies/meat and having a healthy tasty stew in 15 minutes. Yesterday, I ordered a this Instant Pot Viva 6 qt since it was on sale for $50. According to Instant Pot's website, it's equivalent to the Duo Plus but with an old LED display instead of LCD. Is this something I'll be happy with for 5+ years or should I look into a nicer model?

I went to Costco later and they had the Ninja combination pressure cooker and air fryer for $120 down from $150. I passed because it seemed overpriced and poorly designed, but it did get me thinking about combination units and air fryers.

I like the idea of an air fryer but I fear my diet would entirely become french fries, mozzarella sticks, and chicken fingers. Also, I'm not a fan of single-purpose gadgets/appliances, especially ones that take up a bunch of space on your counter. Maybe a toaster oven with convection feature would be better?

Regarding combo units, I felt the Ninja had a poor design because air fryer heating element in the lid was fully exposed to pressure cooker steam and this seemed like a major point of failure, not to mention I couldn't see the O-rings for the pressure cooker seal. Is this something to actually worry about and/or should I even consider combination units?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 24, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You aren’t going to have a stew ready in 15 minutes in an instant pot. I feel like no one talks about how long electric pressure cookers take to get to pressure
Even 30 minutes would be fine. It's the idea of being able to throw in random poo poo with minimal prep and effort and get out a decent result.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Instant Pot arrived today and I made a stew with chuck pot roast, potatoes, celery, and baby carrots. It was... okay? I let it naturally vent for 40 min after cooking to help reduce the liquid but it still wasn't enough. Is this a situation where I should just make it on the stove in a stock pot? Or I should've just put less water in to start with?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone seems to love air fryers. I think I would use one... maybe too much and my diet would become nothing but wings, fries, and mozzarella sticks. :v:

Costco has this 12 qt for $80: https://www.costco.com/emeril-lagasse-12-quart-air-fryer-pro.product.100696882.html

And this 6 qt for $40: https://www.costco.com/gourmia-6-quart-digital-air-fryer.product.100671799.html

Thoughts?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Calphalon Unison 12" nonstick pan's surface is starting to chip after about 12 years of light use so it's time for a replacement. It was the first nice pan I bought but at many times, I've felt 12" was too large for a nonstick, in part because it's quite heavy (the weight isn't a problem, just annoying) and it's too big for eggs/omelet, but it's nice for large veggies like asparagus.

My other cookware consists of a 12" frying pan, 4 quart sauce pan, 8 quart stock pot, all tri-ply, and a 10" Lodge skillet. I mainly use the nonstick to cook chicken, fish, eggs, and veggies. I don't need a new pan right away, so if there's a nicer pan that would be worth it, I can wait for Black Friday deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've had my Victorinox chef's knife for like 13 years. I hone it after each use but I've never sharpened it; it's managed to last this long because I don't use it that much, but a friend recently commented that it was a bit dull.

It costs about $10 to get a knife sharpened around me, but I'm wondering if I should just get a new knife. Is the Victorinox still the standard recommendation? There are tons of Amazon listings for "Victorinox chef knife" and I can't really tell them apart. Should I just get this one? It's sold and shipped by Amazon and the #1 best seller: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 9, 2024