Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone know a good place to buy kitchenaid mixers? Open to refurb/open box kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to say I picked up a new classic 4.5qt kitchenaid stand mixer for $250 shipped after tax, Canadian, from Amazon. Kitchenaid.com won't take a credit card with a Canadian address or I would have bought a refurb pro model for $299 (of which there are many btw American goons).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Almost nothing on woot is cheaper than you'd normally see it on amazon or similar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TBH the time you miiiight save using one of those chopper things you'd end up spending when you have to take it apart and clean it. Besides, knife skills are important and you should find pleasure in practicing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use a $50 tfal Teflon pan pretty much just for eggs. It's much better than doing the whole process of cleaning the cast iron (I wash it with soap then reseason after every use).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Teeter posted:

Followup grinding question: What's the cheapest coffee grinder that's worthwhile? Looking for something that does a coarse grind for French press.

http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/shop/camano-coffee-mill-3/

I use this one. It's adjustable for different size grinds. You really don't want a blade grinder for a french press because the ground won't be uniform enough.

I like grinding my own coffee because it makes me feel like I'm earning the drink but I'm sure any $15 electric burr grinder you can find at a shopping mall will work fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

You aren't going to find a $15 electric burr grinder. If you mean those whirling blade grinders, they're not good for french press (or coffee in general, but especially french press) - they generate a lot of fine particles that will come through the filter and leave sludge in the cup. You'll always be dealing with some sludge but blade grinders make it worse. A good burr grinder produces a more consistent grind size.

Anyway the best place to ask about coffee grinders is the dedicated coffee thread.

Yeah I elaborated on the ground size issue in my post but fair enough I didn't know how much the electric ones cost.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know we're talking about cast iron which isn't a speedy cooking surface anyways but using a diffuser under it would be insane to me, your apartment would heat up before your pan.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

Wanting to get my wife a kitchenaid mixer as a surprise gift, shes been wanting one for a while, from looking online it seems theres different levels, she cokks just about everything, will the ~250 one work well for standard cooking?

If you go to amazon you can get one for $250 that isn't the artisan.

Here's a good example of what to get.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rgocs posted:

We need to replace our cookware set; I've had it for more than 10 years and being a non-stick (yeah, yeah, I didn't know any better back then) the coating has been flaking up lately. We're considering a Zwilling TruClad 10-pc set that's on ~54% discount at several places. We've held them and they feel great handle and weight wise. I wanted to check if anyone has any good or bad experiences or comments on them?

Here's the link to the set: https://www.zwilling.ca/zwilling/cookware/40160-000-zwilling-truclad-10-pc-cookware-set#.VrPmQGQrKX0

Related question. I mostly shy away from using the oven in my cooking, as right now I only have a cast iron skillet I can use for that. This set is oven-safe at up to 500F, most other sets that we've seen in that price range are safe up to 350F/400F. Given that I have little experience oven-wise I'm not sure how often I'll need to get up near 500F; I know at least some fish recipes that call for 420F. What's the minimum acceptable oven-safe temperature?

Roast chicken is 425F, a lot of things are >400F.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Japanese knives in general are very light compared to western knives because they are much thinner. For example a Wusthof classic 8-inch chef's knife weighs 8.5oz while my 9-inch Konosuke Ginsan gyuto weighs 5.75oz.

Thinner but just as strong because glorious nippon Quentin Tarantino folded steel right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious what this magical board was

The plastic ones of course...?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Sweet, thanks for the info! That's very similar to my process, though I buy boneless-skinless because I'm lazy and don't feel like deboning chicken thighs. I never felt like I was getting a bad result from pan-frying/sauteeing chicken thigh, just wasn't sure if it's what I'm "supposed" to do. I'll probably look into spices and rubs for the thighs from now on, I think that will help make them tastier.

A lot of cooking videos have people using stainless steel pots and pans instead of non-stick ones. Is that mainly just so you don't have to worry about setting them on high heat, or is there something related to fond/juices with regards to non-stick pans? I want to make this one-pot pasta recipe, but it uses a stainless steel pan, and I'm wondering if that's a problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxysE5M2GOw

It wouldn't be a problem but holy poo poo this whole gimmicky one-pot pasta thing needs to go away already. I'm not sure if my opinion is going to be unpopular here but there is no reason to lose precise control over the cooking of the pasta (by having it in it's own pot) just to have it in the same container as the other ingredients. If you want to flavor your pasta you can do that with stock and still get perfect pasta when you rehydrate it at the end with the sauce.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Need a recommendation for decent sharpening stone set, tia. Budget around 40-50 bucks? If that's reasonable. My most expensive knives are less than $100.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

.Z. posted:

Get a Spyderco Sharpmaker, easy to use, has brass safety bars, hard to gently caress up. It'll be useless for removing chips in a blade, but you would be better off sending it to a professional at that point.
https://smile.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE

You could go cheaper and get the lansky equivalent, but I don't like it for two reasons:
1. Wider angles, Spyderco does 30 and 40 - Lanksy does 40 and 50
2. No safety bars at all. See customer image for why this can be bad.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lansky-2D2C-Diamond-Ceramic-Four/dp/B008EKY5OA

That looks super super gimmicky? Why not use traditional wet stones?

e: Did some reading on them. Interesting.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 2, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tbh I’m willing to put in the work. I have a few years of machining experience (the first 6 months of which I had to hand sharpen drill bits on a grinding wheel) and I’m fastidious. I’m not willing to spend hundreds but I have plenty of free time to learn skills like this. if I can get a better result using stones I’m quite willing to put in the time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What shape are your knives in now? If they're in good shape you can get a single 1-3k stone and be good, if they're bad you'll probably want a 280/1k combo or something to start. A few bucks more there is the dmt duo sharp fine/extra fine which leaves an edge similar to a 1k but absolutely shreds metal. I prefer a stone's feel but ymmv

They're dull but not hacked up. They haven't had any sharpening 'attempts' with weird products, I hone them from time to time but at this point that's ineffective as there isn't a burl to remove, it's just dull. I'll pick some stones up - thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a pretty good place to start, cheap too. Remember to only soak the 1k side.

Ordered! Thanks to everyone in the thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emotive posted:

Speaking of blenders, does anyone here use a Blendtec? I picked up one of the Costco versions and it makes an awful sound when you first turn it on or have a small amount of stuff in the jar. It doesn't do it when the jar isn't on the base, so I thought it was a bad jar and replaced it via warranty, but it still does it. I've heard it happen in videos on YT, etc. so I'm guessing it's "normal"? I have to wonder if it's because the base and the jar connect directly without any sort of bushing, etc. so it's metal on metal.

Yeah mine does that too it's been fine for years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Got my king 6k/1k a few days ago and today sat down and did all my knives, super happy with it, thanks for the recommendation. Took a little time to learn (man is it ever harder to sharpen a curved blade) and I’m sure my technique isn’t perfect but my knives feel great, used one immediately after and couldn’t be happier with the performance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Also will now heavily prefer knives with minimal or no bolster (like my Zwilling KolorID 8" which is loving amazing).

e: If you like whetstone sharpening you should also try scanning in and digitally developing film I get the same nerd chills from it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Feenix posted:

I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

Or can I just go get a 10-12 inch shallow-walled nonstick and be good to go?

I think you can use that pan but you will need a proper spreading tool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just seems the better way to do it so your thickness is perfect throughout and you don’t anger your breakfast guests with a second rate crepe.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Murgos posted:

I My 12" is too heavy for my wife to move around without a lot of effort which can be dangerous when hot.

Same :pervert:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

May I have a recommendation for an oil spritzer please, so I can easily coat a pan, with whatever oil I choose? I am in the UK.

Most kitchens that do oil spritzing (generally onto meat halfway through baking or w/e) I think just make it with normal spray bottles from a craft store. Put olive oil in with some peppers or w/e for flavoring and you're golden.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wormil posted:

Made eggs in the carbon steel skillet today, 2 over easy, and a 2 egg cheese omelet. Total success. Then later some chicken stir fry. I wouldn't mind if it was smoother but will definitely order the 12".

You can throw that in the oven too right? Should be able to do a really nice roasted chicken with it and not have to bother about an oven rack because of the raised skillet ridges. Or am I thinking of something else?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

apples and oranges m8. If you don't have cast iron/stainless yes but carbon isn't a 1:1 Teflon replacement even if it's seasoned well.

Agreeing with the last bit. I'd only really bother going cast iron/carbon steel if it's something where the use case is very high temps. For example, I use my cast iron pan for high heat steaks, put the whole thing in the oven for pizzas, etc. I use my carbon steel wok for... wok poo poo at really high heat. I don't find the carbon steel to be anywhere near as slippery as teflon stuff but I don't use them for the same things. I think a (seasoned) carbon steel skillet would still have food sticking to it which would be irritating for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think I'd ever want a ceramic pan but the skillets look fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This Kolorid 8" is the most pleasant to use chef's knife I've ever used. Love it to death and the price is amazing too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I’m keen to get a mortar and pestle to grind my own spices. Any recommendations on size and material? I assume a mortar and pestle is a better investment than a spice grinder?

Noting I don’t have a huge amount of bench space.

Size = Whatever is a resonable size for you and whoever you live with to be able to move by yourself.

Material= I like my granite one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What are those racks called that I can placed fried food on to drain/cool down? Uh... wire racks? Any good brands I should be looking for? I need the top and the bottom.

Cooling racks and if you get one with a pan that fits neatly you'll really like the experience. I don't know any brands sorry.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

rgocs posted:

My kids' (6 & 2 y/o) bedroom door faces the kitchen, we make smoothies every day on a blendtec, it only sometimes wake them up. You must have very very sensitive neighbors.

My Blendtec is so loud that I can't use it in my wood frame apartment in the mornings before work (around 5:45AM) because I'm pretty sure it'd wake up the neighbors. I don't really mind because I've accepted that as a tradeoff for a great blender but I'd love for it to be quieter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Try making a little foam cube to surround it and muffle the noise? Even the food service blenders that are $$$$ aren't that quiet.

I've thought about making something but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. Nothing I could make would dampen the sound enough for me to be able to use it so early in the morning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I got my hard-to-buy-for father a subscription to Naturebox which is a monthly random snack delivery thing. They're mostly pretty healthy snacks and generally really good. I got him the subscription for a year but you could do however many months you want. I'm unaffiliated with them. They have a website you can look at for pricing and more info.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would just bake a bunch of focaccia and layer it and cut it to shape.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: I can cook up to a 14" (i believe) pizza in it. I've only done frozen/ready to bake pizzas so far, but it sure beats heating up the whole kitchen with the big oven.

If it's really losing that much heat too the room look under the stovetop to see if there is an opening into the oven space. Mine had a chimney sort of thing, like a 1"pipe that vented oven air up out under a rear element. I used tinfoil to more or less block this off and the oven now both hats up much faster and also doesn't increase the temps in the kitchen by 5C. It's not a gas oven and I have no idea why this was put into the design.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Well the oven is supposed to be vented like that. And ultimately, all the heat it generates ends up in your home. Because physics. It may release that heat more slowly depending on insulation, but that heat has to go somewhere.

I totally agree/understand but because the heat was being generated for a longer amount of time (as I was effectively heating a larger volume of space) there ended up being more energy being made into heat in general and as such the kitchen temps were more affected.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FBS posted:

Just moved into a new apartment and instead of cheap coils, I've got a smooth top electric stove. What do I need to know to avoid breaking poo poo? The stovetop itself is branded as Schott Ceran and it looks like this:

Mostly I'm worried about my Lodge 12" cast iron skillet on this thing. But any other advice is welcomed of course

Pork on left side and fish on right side only.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whats the handle material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, $80 shipped to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn’t have it. I’ll poke around!

Canadian tire has cheap T-Fal pans I use when I need non-stick. I find them pretty good.