Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think it's more that they don't get credits towards things like extra items of food, books, cigarettes, playing cards, etc etc.

e: Sorry I meant here in Canada.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

emotive posted:

I'm really tempted to pick that up for $250 - I have a Blendtec now, but it makes the most awful grinding noise when you use it and is just loud as hell. I've been through two jars and nothing helps.

It'd be nice to have a dial, too, instead of the buttons.

That's the blendtec normal sound if you weren't sure. Mine does that too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would think if it's a recipe that would otherwise be made in a pot that you can get away with a little less water since less will evaporate due to the nature of pressure cooking. I don't think we're talking more than like a 5% difference so I would just make it as per normal and see how it goes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm looking for a comal to cook tortillas on. I have a cast iron griddle but whenever I cook tortillas it leaves a lot of carbon on the pan (I'm probably cooking them wrong) and it makes it hard to use to cook eggs

Should I just get a cheap lodge cast iron griddle? The lodge 10.5" round is only $15 on Amazon. Other options might be a carbon steel pan, which might be nice.

Any thoughts on a pan to cook tortillas in?

Not sure if this is a hot take or whatever but have you considered using cheaper nonstick T-fal or equivalent for the eggs and not stressing about the carbon on the pan? For me the price of a cast iron is inconsequential relative to the storage space concern of having extra poo poo.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

What are your thoughts on the IKEA frying pans? I'm looking at the 11" stainless steel one (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60324544/) and this 9" non-stick one for eggs and what not (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10292098/)

They're trash but their $10 teflon ones make good egg pans even considering you have to replace them every 6 months.

e: Yeah that second one is probably fine for a nonstick but I wouldn't expect the coating to last, and the first pan I dunno I bet within a few high heat cycles it'd be like one of those mirrors they hang from the ceiling in warehouses so you can see around the corner driving a forklift.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

Okay. Hotpot. Boondoggle fad or legitimately good?

It's a staple food for some of the world's more populous cultures so I would say it's certainly not a fad. Imagine on a Chinese cooking forum someone asking if deep fryers were a fad. Do you mean is it good? It's better if you grew up with it probably. It's a communal kinda thing. Have you gone to a hotpot restaurant?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 28, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually really like glass mixing bowls so that when I have a bunch out on the counter I can more readily see what's in them, also I think I just enjoy using them more than the stainless, not sure why but I always grab the glass bowls. Maybe it's the way the light comes through them while you're beating eggs etc that just seems more aesthetic or something.

I used simple stainless ones years ago in a restaurant setting (I'm not a chef) and they always were beat to poo poo so maybe I'm associating them with that (or associating them with working for $6/hr emptying rat traps in the back of a hellhole diner).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm looking for grilling tool recommendations... my brother is getting a new rig for his birthday, and I'd like to pick up a spatula, a fork, whatever else seems useful.

I'm probably overthinking this (ie, just go get a Coleman set at the box store), but I've gotten so much useless grilling poo poo over the years that I figured I'd check.

Fish spatula also IMO for lighter/more delicate grilled poo poo that you want to keep in one piece.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Recommend me the best wok

What's your stove situation? The best woks must have a rounded bottom so if you're on a gas stove you can get a cast iron holder that allows you to place that kind of wok in it. If you're on an electric stovetop I would get a flatbottomed carbon steel one from your local kitchen supply place.

E:gently caress I'm way late

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IMO if you're puncturing your protein while it's on the grill you're drying it out for no benefit. You don't need a meat hook unless you're dealing with massive slabs like in a smoker or commercial situation.

E: or am I misinterpreting what you guys are talking about?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spudalicious posted:

Does anyone have some good big bowls like ceramic/porcelain? We like pho way too much and often I end up picking up some to-go, but I lack big enough bowls to properly consume and we always end up using weird large format stuff like glass tupperware or mixing bowls to eat out of. I'm over it - I want some drat pho bowls.

Ikea has good/acceptable ones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

A nicer burr grinder (type of coffee grinder) will be adjustable for size of grain and will do a great job.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My thermapen exists solely for matching water temp when I do water changes in my shrimp tank.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks like one of those chocolate nib mills actually. With the granite or w/e.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use the 3 cup zojirushi and it's fantastic. A lot smaller than the larger ones and I'll never make more than 3 cups of rice at a time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Canuck-Errant posted:

I have a Tiger Micom rice cooker and it's been rock solid, so I guess keep in mind that Zoji isn't the only option in the space

Yeah I should add that the actual quality of the rice made by my zoji vs the old black and decker cooker is very very similar. You're paying for the rice to be perfectly evenly cooked throughout the bowl, not burnt anywhere or cooked onto the bottom of the cooking bowl, the ability to easily cook different types of rice (or oatmeal or porridge or congee), the digital interface, and for the song when it's done lets be real. It's also just the pleasure of interacting with a well designed piece of hardware. The nonstick stuff in the zoji bowl looks like it'll never flake off or whatnot and the gradations for water level are etched into the side in a very contrasty visible way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

swickles posted:

I was with my mom in Costco and we picked up an Instant Pot + SV model. She was amazed by the SV things I have done for my parents, and we both had heard great things about instant pot. I made a couple things with it while visiting this weekend to great raves and reviews, so now she wants me to send them recipes, which I am more than happy to do. Whenever my mom goes away to visit friends, family, business, etc she always likes to make it so my step dad has an easily reheated meal and so usually makes chili, a lot of soups, etc. I looked on the first three pages and didn't see an Instant Pot thread, so where is the best place to get recipes for literally anything Instant Pot on SA? Should I just check the pressure cooker thread? I know google is a treasure trove of this, but I like to hear recipes that have a modicum of second hand worth. Thanks!

A great/easy one that I probably make a couple times a month is this 'tandoori chicken' recipe. I modify it a bit by sauteing diced onions before adding everything else to the instant pot (instead of using onion powder), adding some standard ground black pepper, and I thicken it up after it's done with a little bit of flour. I serve it on basmati rice.

Just a note - the recipe as written is decently spicy, maybe too much so for a lot of people who don't eat spicy food. You can just add less chili powder.

e:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Are the pasta attachments for KitchenAid stand mixers any good? My dad really wants to get the 5-piece deluxe roller/cutter set with the 25% off coupon we got with our mixer purchase.

For flat pastas I don't understand why you wouldn't use a hand roller or a rolling pin. I have the pasta extruder for the KitchenAid and it works well but you need to have perfect dough or you'll destroy the mixer (if it's too dry).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its Coke posted:

I'm trying to avoid aluminum because it might be toxic.

You could always go ceramic for baking tray. Or put a silicon baking mat on the inside of your gross pan and bake on that depending on application.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

What do my girlfriends and cutting boards have in common?

Hopefully you don't put them in the washer?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Oh I gotcha now. I thought I had just warped it once. This one is flat

I've warped my cheapass high edge tfal pan almost immediately making it useless for all but pasta sauces.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FYI at least with my Zojirushi NS-LHC05XT, the cook time for rice of any volume is 60 minutes. There is a setting for quick rice which lowers it to I think 40 min and seems to do fine with our normal basmati. It was a bit of an unpleasant surprise coming from cheaper rice cookers which do the job in 20-30 min.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's a fuzzy hour too, 60 is the max.

Sorry do you mean that I can take the rice out earlier?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

captkirk posted:

He means that it will finish in less than an hour and signal it's done. It's not a strict timer that controls it.

Ah poo poo yeah that's what I figured but I've never had it adjust more than 2-3 min from 1 hour.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I would steer people away from knives with finger guards, it gets in the way of sharpening and starts to stick out like a chin with regular sharpening

I was just about to take a screenshot of that area to say just this. Ever since I started sharpening knives I'll never again buy a knife with guards.

e: For lurkers, it's this part here:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

teraflame posted:

Is there a cheap easy knife sharpening product i can buy? I'm just dipping my toes into home cooking and don't need to go all out with stones.

I know you said you don't want to go all out with stones but a great basic starter set is the king KW65, which is is two stones glued to each other, it comes with a stand, it's the easiest thing in the world to use and you don't need anything else to get started with it. I just wasn't sure if you were imagining like a huge setup with 4 stones etc so I thought it was worth mentioning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you're starting with a knife that isn't used to apply butter I can't imagine needing a 400 or 600 grit. That almost sounds like what they'd start with on a belt sander when they're making the knife. 1k/6k is a fine place to start and if you want to go finer from there I'd think you're looking at a leather strop and paste.

E:I'm just a hobbyist so maybe there's times for those coarse grits like with cleavers etc?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skyarb posted:

I want a decent cheap knife that I can sharpen using an electric three stage sharpener I have and hone in between.

I don't want some fancy hardened-steel nonsense, I think a bad knife sharpened lots can be good enough for most home-cooking and I want to abuse a mediocre knife for a few years and then get a new one.

Anyone have a recommendation for something good like that, my sharpener sharpens to a 15 degree angle if that helps.

It's probably 15 degrees on either side right, so 30 deg edge. I have a couple cheap knives from grocery stores that do fine when they're sharp, I would do that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

my only complaint about my zojirushi rice cooker is how long it takes. Sometimes it feels like it takes 45 minutes to an hour to make rice, which seems pretty long considering older rice cookers I've had.

This is also my only complaint, otherwise happy. I do feel like I need to add a little more water for my normal basmati than the amount specified too I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pantry moths can teleport as you've witnessed but only up to 2-3 moth lengths in distance and only when mercury is in retrograde. You're good for awhile OP but come February 17 you'll want to relocate your nuts into much thicker walled containers until March 10.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can't get fully into it right now (phone posting) but basically it depends if the butter in the house you're going to burn down is unsalted or not.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use this ripoff mercato one and it works just fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you guys bother sharpening your bread knives? How would you do that? I whetstone sharpen my other knives and I'm just curious.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just leave the chips in your knives so you always have serration when you need it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just go to 60% for a minute before max heat and you'll be fine.

E: or go cast iron

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Pepper grinder chat came up a while ago
Just FYI goon favorite Unicorn Magnum is back in stock at Amazon I just got a 2nd one for our dining room table.

Really happy with my Peugot Paris mill also, the adjustable grind comes in really handy and it just feels fantastic in the hand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's partially a function of the peppercorn you're grinding I'd have to think. Really tough ones are going to get chunked up and bigger pieces are going to get through vs peppercorn that breaks down easily.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I can't M&P peppercorn without them getting everywhere. I guess I gotta press hard and turn and not grab it at the end and whip it around?

:pervert:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Start out with just a couple, like just a tbsp or so, and kinda smoosh them so they're not bouncy spheres. Once you've done that you can grind/pound them into powder and they won't try to get away as much. And then once you have a layer of ground pepper in the bottom of the mortar you can add larger amounts of peppercorns and the ground stuff will help prevent the whole peppercorns from bouncing around that much. There's a definite technique to it, but once you get the hang of it it's simple enough you'll be able to do it without even think about it.

I kinda feel like using an M&P is one of those things that actually requires more technique than you'd think it would. Like it seems like it's this totally primitive thing that's just pounding poo poo with stone tools, but pretty much everything you do with one involves a lot of little tricks or whatever that you really need to figure out from doing. Like getting a better paste out of starting out with some coarse salt and grinding garlic cloves into that instead of smashing the garlic cloves and then adding salt. That kind of thing.

I have to say now that I have the Peugot Paris I'll never again use anything else for breaking down peppercorn but that all makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It might work if he uses only fresh fruit and nothing frozen.