Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SubG posted:

Allow me to rephrase: beep boop i am a robot begin transmission liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous repeat liquid nitrogen is potentially dangerous end transmission from the humourless pedantically correct tone policed gws robot beep boop.

But please, tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

rgocs posted:

I have a comal brought over form Mexico. It had a lot of crud on it and since I was stripping a couple of cast iron skillets in the self cleaning oven, figured I would put it there and see. However, it came out looking like this (after cleaning it with soapy water too): http://imgur.com/a/q7GIy

Is it salvageable? I am thinking I would have to remove the gray material (what is it?) to expose all the iron, then season as I would a cast iron skillet? Or is this entirely different?

That looks like rust has eaten its way through the seasoning, I'd try Bar Keepers Friend, steel wool and elbow grease. Whether it's salvageable or not depends on how far the rust has penetrated.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is the meat grinder for the KitchenAid Pro 600 any good? Looking at it on Amazon, it says it's made of plastic, which makes me weary.

Some plastics these days are stronger than cast aluminium, so don't let that put you off unless you know what sort of plastic they are using.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Okay so I know the gold standard in fancy rice cookers is Zojirushi and for good reason I bet,

but I'm in Australia and they don't sell them here, and I'm not sure I want to deal with having a different plug, let alone a different voltage.

Plus the Cuckoo ones with the fancy fuzzy logic are $300-550.

So what kind of alternatives are there? I'm looking at this one right now.

Panasonic directly competes with Zoji in the rice cooker market in Japan, so their stuff should be fine. I had a Panasonic one myself for a few years and it did a good job. While my current Zoji is definitely much better it was also originally much more expensive, like $80 for the Panasonic vs $150 for the Zoji so you'd expect a big difference.

Of course I paid like $90 for the Zoji because there was a tear in the box, thank you Amazon warehouse deals. :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Taima posted:

Does the induction make that much of a difference? I was just looking at those models today. I have a mid-level ($150) Zoji and it's hard if not impossible to tell what's an improvement...

Induction based heating elements heat much faster and therefore cook much faster because they cut out a lot of the time normally spent bringing the water to a boil. They also are much more precise in controlling temperature.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Lawnie posted:

Since apparently 18 months is longer than I should expect the heating element in an electric kettle to last, anybody got any recommendations? Must hold water at temp for at least an hour, have customizable temperature settings, over 1.5 L. Must not be Bona Vita brand, who hosed me and I can't recommend.

I use a Panasonic thermo pot, I've had it for a couple years and it's worked well for me, but it might not be what you are looking for.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

rgocs posted:

For induction burners, how important is it that cookware matches the coil's diameter?

Fairly important, but it's nearly as important with electric coil burners, in fact I would say it's even more important with an electric coil because of how slowly they heat up and because you are more likely to be using thick steel cookware with induction which helps diffuse and hold heat better than aluminium.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've been making more pies than usual and so I've been looking at getting a small food processor to make it easier to make crusts. Are the ~$50 mini processors worth looking at, or would I be better served saving up for something bigger?

For pie crusts and baking in general you want a good food processor. Doughs need a lot of torque and a cheap processor will either get stuck or burn out its motor quickly. Look at a Cuisinart processor, maybe a small one like the DLC-10SY, it will have enough power to handle most things and it will last.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

When the bowl is in and raised into mixing position, it's knocking the back (furthest from me) inside of the bowl with the mixing attachment. I'll take a video in a few...

[Edit] vid:

https://youtu.be/ppkkh4YQOYw

[Edit2] pic of metal rubbing off... I'm assuming this won't kill us if ingested?

It's definitely not supposed to do that, return that sucker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Horse Clocks posted:

I finally managed to strip the gears on my hand mixer while making dough (honestly surprised it lasted that long).

What's the dealio with stand mixers. Are metal gears a requirement if I'm making dough semi frequently, or can I get away with plastic/pot-metal/lead gears?

How do I know what kind of gearbox a mixer has?

If you make dough all the time you want metal gears, there is a bread making thread where they can give you recommendations on mixers that will last.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

knowonecanknow posted:

We plan on being there a very long time and would like some nice stuff right out of the gate. She bakes a lot of bread and cooking is just your regular cooking stuff I guess. The stove is more of my request to have a big stove so I don crowed my pans when cooking. She's used to cooking on what ever. I'd say out budget will probably be 10k for a stove, oven, dishwasher, fridge and microwave and hood. Not sure if that is enough as I never shopped for appliances before so we could increase should we need too. The refrigerator has to be the double door type that can fit a full sheet tray if that matters.

I'd buy a subscription to Consumer Reports and see what they have to say, they generally do some pretty good testing so it's well worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SubG posted:

Yeah, as I say in the post just above yours all broiler pans seem to suck. Mostly because they're just not particularly well-designed for broiling. What I want is basically a weber grill with a drip pan that I can fit in an oven/broiler. But nobody seems to make anything like that.

Couldn't you just use a flat wire roasting rack like this and a baking sheet or roasting pan? They come in a lot of shapes and sizes too so you could get a small one and a small pan for just doing a hamburger or two.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

wormil posted:

10 or 12 inch cimeter knife for home use? I feel like 10" is probably big enough but they are about the same price. 12" might be annoying to store.

VVVVVVVV Holy poo poo I haven't seen a page like that since Geocities went offline.

Size your knife to your cutting board, I have a small cutting board so I tend to use my santoku most often. The rule of thumb is that the knife should be no larger than the diagonal length of your cutting board and ideally should be a few inches smaller.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

anakha posted:

Due to the electrical load limits in my apartment, I can only use one of the plates on my electric range at a time. I'm thinking of getting a single-plate induction cooker so I can actually have two things cooking at once.

Would any regular stainless-steel cookware work for both the induction cooker and electric range, or should I be getting specific stuff? What pots/pans would you recommend that will work well for both induction and thermal cooking? Thanks!

Anything in steel or cast iron should work well, induction heating elements work via magnetism so any ferrous metal will work. One thing to keep in mind is that the magnetic field weakens with distance very quickly so you want cookware with a nice flat bottom to maximize the contact with the magnetic field. Aluminum and copper core stuff is fine too, the steel on the bottom is plenty to heat up everything else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Head's up: All-Clad is having their black friday factory seconds sale early, use the password "ACBFRIDAY" to get into their site: https://homeandcooksales.com/

I grabbed a 3qt saute pan for $50 which is a really nice deal and will replace my crappy $20 nonstick saute pan. Normally this is $100 on Amazon.

EDIT: password fixed.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 23, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is that 3qt of that style the same size you'll find in all the 10-12 piece sets? I'm assuming yess and I don't nee to double up

It's 11 and a quarter inches across, has two handles, one frypan type handle and one like a pot handle and comes with a lid.

Edit: Here's an image of it:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

For anyone who tried the password above and it didn't work, it's actually ACBFRIDAY (All Clad Black Friday.

Shoot, sorry about the typo all. :(

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ignoranus posted:

I saw a video reviewing their ThermoPop that said it was pretty great - does anyone have any experience with it? Right now we're using a pretty cheap grocery-store-kitchen-implements-section instant-read thermometer and I've been thinking about moving up to a nicer one, but the actual "classic" thermopens are still pretty expensive (like $65 on sale) vs the ThermoPop ($29).

I also see the DOT probe thermometer, which seems pretty neat because I've been thinking how nice it would be to have one but, again, the decent ones all seem to be a fair bit more expensive. Does anyone here have any experience with it worth sharing?

I have a DOT and it's really nice I only wish it had a built in timer for double duty, but it's far better than the cheapo one I had before.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a very good pepper grinder? I purchased this and it's terrible. The largest setting doesn't output anything substantial.

This. The grind is a little on the rough side compared to my old one but it outputs like 3-4 times as much.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VERTiG0 posted:

What's the deal with air fryers? Are they any good? If so, which is the one to get?

They are basically a convection oven that agitates the food while cooking, so they get you something crispy the same way an oven would but without having to flip stuff or having soggy spots, the results don't match a deep fryer but if you don't mind that they can be nice. I don't know what ones are good or bad so I can't help you there, sorry.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

10 Beers posted:

Opinions on this Calphalon set?
Calphalon Classic Stainless Steel Cookware Set, 10-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQWONBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kQbhAb14XB50C

Looks good to me and at that price it's really hard to go wrong.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Erwin posted:

$450 for the 14-piece All-Clad cookware set is like, a real good price, right? My pots and pans are piecemeal and in pretty bad shape, so if this cyber-monday price is as good as I think it is, I might as well take advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZCEN7Q8/

I'd go with the 10-piece set instead, a lot of the extra stuff in the 14 piece seems redundant and you save $200 there.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Me, though... I do actually use a slow cooker a ton. Soups, stews, chili etc...
Sounds like maybe I should get one.

My question is, does it completely obsolete a crockpot? Like, can I get rid of mine for space? Or do I need to keep the slow cooker for certain things?

You can get rid of the slow cooker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Whatever was on sale last Christmas! I'll check.

I believe that was the 6qt, so maybe the 8qt would have worked better as a slow cooker replacement.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Canuck-Errant posted:

Henckels International knives - is an 17-piece set (of which 8 are steak knives) worth 250 CAD if I can get it on clearance at Canadian Tire? They're forged rather than stamped, at least.

Knife sets usually include a bunch of stuff you don't actually want or need and are of low quality in general. I'd get a good Chef's Knife & paring knife and expand from there based on your needs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My recent kitchen jobs have introduced me to the wonder of immersion/stick blenders, as I regularly blend soups/eggs in 5 gallon buckets with this loving monster that weighs as much as I do. What's a recommendation for a good home model? I'm making potato leek soup right now and thinking, "gently caress, I wish I had one."

I have a Cuisinart one, it works fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Plastic, wood or whatever, as long as you clean it properly after use it's fine. I don't have a dishwasher so my boards get washed right after use, the only times I have gotten (mild)food poisoning has been when I used something that was dubious in the first place because I'm an idiot sometimes and I don't like wasting food. Just get what floats your boat and take care of it.

Oh, and avoid Teak, it tends to have high silica content and is hard as hell, dulls knives like a motherfucker.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

30~40 degree angle sounds way different from what kitchen knives are usually at or do I just know nothing about knives

I'm guessing that those are included angles, so 15-20 per side, though for kitchen knives I would do 12-15 per side depending on what the knife is to be used for.

EDIT: EFB, though I was right at least.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

They're dull but not hacked up. They haven't had any sharpening 'attempts' with weird products, I hone them from time to time but at this point that's ineffective as there isn't a burl to remove, it's just dull. I'll pick some stones up - thanks.

The King 1000/6000 combo stone is a pretty good place to start, cheap too. Remember to only soak the 1k side.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Please explain. I have had one whetstone (that is a single grit) that I always just submerge. I recently got a 2k/4k king combo stone, I think? Something like that. Why not just submerge?

Also: Anyone have a good recommendation for a reasonably priced strop on Amazon?

Whether submerging is a good idea depends on the composition of the stone, some stones will eventually start cracking and falling apart if submerged repeatedly, those stones should only be splashed with water before use. There should be instructions telling you whether the stone is a soak or splash stone.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Is this gift set any good? I read the OP, but I'm looking for a secondary set as well.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/shun-classic-4-piece-knife-block-set/

IMO, that is a dumb set. For a Chef's Knife I would want at least 8 inches, a 6 inch Chef's Knife is silly and a Santoku would be a better alternative if you want a short general purpose knife. The serrated knife looks like a solution searching for a problem, too short for a bread knife and bread is one of the few places where I appreciate serrations. The Paring knife should be fine though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks for the link. Was king of hoping for a set with a handful of steak knives, sharpener, shears, etc if possible.

Well, the problem with that is that pretty much every set with a large number of knives and stuff that I have seen is pretty bad quality and includes a lot of crap that you don't really need to make it look like a better value. I recommend buying most stuff individually or the two piece set that was linked is a very good value since both knives are useful and of good quality, there is also a different set with a 8.5" Gyuto that is a bit cheaper and might be a better choice depending on how big your cutting board is. For honing them I would recommend a ceramic rod, I have this one with the sheath so it does not get chipped from banging around in the drawer. For shears look for ones with one piece construction that can be taken apart for cleaning, CKTG has a few different pairs IIRC. There is also a 4 piece steak knife set by Tojiro it's really nice but pretty drat expensive. If you want something more affordable or a larger number of knives I like to just buy some cheap serrated utility knives like these, they cut well enough, the serrations will help them hold an edge over time and if something happens to one of them they are cheap to replace, there are also plain edged versions if you feel confident that you can resharpen them, a bit more expensive though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anyone have a good recommendation for a fairly compact 4-slice toaster? Preferably something that is quick, our current two slice model is very slow, like 5+ minutes to toast bread to a medium brown.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Annual Prophet posted:

I picked up this set a few years ago; we use it all the time and, for us, at least, we use all of the knives (we need them all and there weren't any we don't use or use infrequently):

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-6-Piece-Chef-Knife/dp/B0000DJZME

It was way way less expensive though (I think we got it on sale) and we cook mostly from scratch, so our use case may be different from others'.

There is nothing wrong with that set, all the knives in it are pretty useful and of decent quality. It's stuff like that Shun 3-piece set with the tiny 6 inch chef's knife, 5 inch serrated knife and paring knife or the 20 piece sets for like $80 where there are tons of useless knives and every knife is made of pot metal that are the problem.

You don't need expensive knives, they are just nice because they stay sharp for a lot longer, if you want to go cheap look for the knives with white plastic handles sold at kitchen supply stores, hone them before each use and sharpen them often.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

Thanks guys!

Another question:

I have a really small kitchenaid(?) food processor. It’s handled itself well but I need bigger. Is there a reasonably priced but otherwise really quality food processor out there that is a standard “go-to” brand/model?

Does it even matter with name brand food processors? Or do they all work about equally?

You want a Cuisinart, they generally have the best designed bowls which is a big deal. The nicer models also have much better construction than other brands. If you want something really nice get a Cuisinart DFP-14BCNY.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

That is REAL nice. But I think I’d have a better time justifying my upgrade at the sub 80 (maybe sub 100?) dollar level. Any suggestions there that come close?

Any real good argument for why the one you recommended is just light years ahead and worth so
Much cashish?

Well, it's got lots of capacity so you won't run into issues there, and as others have said it's actually got a motor built to handle whatever you throw at it, the others just aren't built to anywhere near the same quality, even the cheaper Cuisinart models are a far cry from the DFP-14. At least go with a Cuisinart of some kind, they all have well designed bowls that clean up well and don't leak which is more than can be said for other brands.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

How small is smaller? I don’t know what size I have but if I had to guess it’s like, 5 or 6 inches across and like 3 inches tall? (Just guessing here...)

[Ed] maybe not eve. 6 inches across.
Let me go look...

I have bear paws... but still...

Oh wow, when you said that your current one was too small I was thinking you had one of similar size to the 7 cup Cuisinart, but that thing is tiny, it got to have like a 2 cup capacity? So yeah, get the 7 cup Cuisinart that Anne Whateley recommended, it should be fine for your purposes.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

If I want to do instant Pot pulled bbq chicken... do I just want to do thighs or breasts? (or a mix?)

Do I want to do a flavorless cook or an in-sauce cook?

Do I need to add water or broth or is the sauce “liquid” enough?

Thighs all the way, they hold up to long cooking times much better than breasts in my experience. As for the sauce, I would thin it out with broth or something and then once it's cooked take the chicken out and reduce the sauce to the proper consistency while you let the chicken cool enough to shred and then recombine the sauce and chicken and serve. This also gives you a chance to skim off the fat from the chicken since there will be a lot of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

Moved to a new place and looking to get a rice cooker. Is it worth getting an instant pot and just using that? I was going to get a pressure cooker anyway and I feel like I can kill two birds with one stone. But I also really love good quality rice and don’t want to get something that makes sub par rice.

The Instant Pot makes perfectly good rice but I still use my rice cooker because it does a slightly better job and more importantly it's much easier to clean than the IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Feenix posted:

If I have a recipe for taco chicken in my Instant Pot and the recipe cites chicken breasts and I have boneless, skinless thighs, do you think I need to change the cook time? (12 min for the breasts, btw)

I'd add a couple minutes but you probably don't have to, thighs hold up to longer cooking than breasts so it can't hurt to add a couple minutes.