Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

All-Clad is tough, and that heavy disk in the bottom keeps it from warping. I have some I've owned for twenty years, given no special care at all, and the bottoms are as flat as the day we bought them. And I do poo poo like putting tap water into a hot pan to get the leftover caramel out before it sticks .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rescue Toaster posted:

They're nearly as bad as the Calphalon patented Sewage Trough (tm) in every Calphalon lid! Try it today! After one cook, it'll never be clean again, guaranteed!
We just tossed our Calphalon because the "nonstick" is a Lie. (moved to smaller house in small town, local charity shops weren't taking donations)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

does allclad still make cookware with the disk in the bottom? I seem to remember that was a no-no.

I completely misremembered; the reason it's"All-Clad" is that the whole drat thing is clod.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Really really don't buy sets because different pot materials serve different purposes. You don't want an All-Clad Dutch oven. You don't want a Le Creuset skillet. And on and on.

Saucepans: either clad metal or cheap nonstick.

Stockpot: if you're using it for soups and boiling spaghetti , you can cheap out here. A thick bottom is very useful.

Dutch oven: either enameled cast iron, if you can afford it, or Pyrex.

Skillet: I am Church of Cast Iron. Buy a three piece set, use it for decades or generations. The tiny pan is good for toasting and melting butter. Will scratch induction stove.

Flame on!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

think outside the box and go to antique shops or flea markets for your cast iron. the old stuff has a better surface finish and hopefully decades of seasoning.
poo poo's collectible now. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

I see a bunch of griswolds on eBay for $40-80, which is high but not out of reach

But then you add on shipping. Cast iron is heavy as gently caress.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We have a countertop dehydrator and honest to God dried tomatoes are straight up candy.

Being in the house while dehydrating ghost peppers? Inadvisable

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

We dehydrate orange and lemon slices so we can toss them in tea and it's very nice.
Ooh! Must try.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thank private equity. They were bought in a leveraged buyout, the new owners insisted on creating and selling InstaPot branded items that had nothing to do with pressure cooking. The same company owns American Pyrex, which is why the dishes now explode in the oven from time to time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Brother Tadger posted:

Whoever buys the remnants, bring back the old borosilicate formula, plz

From your lips to God's ears.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We have a discarded mortar (no pestle) full of kosher salt next to the stove. We haven't found that the open salt container gets grungy, and you don't have to mess around with lids when you want a pinch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

:nice: In the '20s, devices like this were attached to the cabinets; they weren't portable.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Croatoan posted:

Did you just take your cabinet down and throw it in your wagon to go to the grocer then?
My theory is that you copied it down on a piece of paper, but that it was faster when cooking to flip a tab over than it was to write a note on a paper list.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Don't finish chipping off the enamel. You have no idea if the metal under the enamel is food-safe. I've successfully bought accessories for my mixer on Ebay, but I did my best to steer clear of fakes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My tip on avoiding Kitchenaid fake attachments on Ebay: look for the ones that are marked used, or the ones that are in slightly crumpled packages. Counterfeiters don't age their products.

Real Kitchenaid mixer attachments are almost never stainless steel except for the wire whip. Everything else should be enameled white.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Now I think of it, older dough hooks are still aluminum.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The dough hook and beater that came with my 2011 kitchen aid were aluminum. I got a beater blade, which I think is the best silicone fin beater. Maybe I’ll get an enameled dough hook sometime but I hardly ever make bread
Huh! The beater that came with my 1981 Kitchenaid was white enamel. I should really stop generalizing.

Silicone beater blades are The Way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

We got the Ninja that is currently on sale at Costco and we're in love. First blender we've ever had that (A) doesn't get food stuck under the blade at the bottom (yay multiple blades!) and (B) blends the entire contents equally. This is the blender-only Ninja, not the combo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My husband constantly leaves the peppermill on fine when I prefer thick, so the Unicorn rules in the ease of changing the grind. The knob on the top of the Peugeot doesn't give the same level of control

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

The microwavalso e is great at softening butter from the freezer, and reheating leftover rice.

That’s all that I can remember using mine for in recent history.
We keep the freezer full of frozen meats, as well as pouches of chili, bolognese, and so on that were cooked in large batches to go into the freezer. I want the ground lamb to be thawed, not heated, because I'm going to actually cook it after it's room temperature.

I heat the liquids for bread in the microwave because it's easier to control precisely and there's no thermal mass in the container. Heat a little, hit it with the probe thermometer, heat a little, lather rinse repeat.

Question for the cheffy people in the thread: If I take a pot off the heat and use the infrared thermometer, am I getting a reasonable reading for the whole fluid, or only for the top quarter-inch or so?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

IIRC some famous Japanese video game developer did a series of tweets about how to make the perfect honey bread in his toaster. Many people were intrigued. According to an article I read, the elaborate steam/toast setup was originally intended to reheat croissants and other flaky pastries. According to the Amazon reviews, the conversion from Japanese to American voltage and cycles was half-assed, and Mitsubishi doesn't bother to provide repairs or support in the USA, even though these aren't grey-market imports but official products.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/rslashyt/status/1120317996441001986

Buy a Bosch dishwasher. Period. They're quiet, they get dishes squeaky clean, they last forever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

smackfu posted:

I might get one with an external display next time, because being able to see how much time is left would be nice. Only other complaint is that it’s a bit finicky to turn back on if you accidentally open it during the cycle, so kids won’t do it.
Yeah, our previous Bosch had the controls-on-the-edge-of-the-door thing, and it became pretty drat annoying. I was grateful to go back to external controls with external lights.

Nettle Soup posted:

For flour, I use bait buckets. They'd work for rice too, although they can be a little hard to open. They're pretty cheap. "Squre green bait bucket" on google brings up lots of listings, and they're all made in the same factory in China. I use half-size ones for the more wholegrain flour types, so if bugs get into one then at least the others are okay.

drat, I need these. Thanks. What size fits a 20-lb sack of rice/flour?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

THE ROBOSTIR IS BACK TO JUDGE THE UNWORTHY

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274376215153233195
God, does that meal look unenticing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Before you strip it, have you considered just reseasoning it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I can't be sure from a picture how deep the rust goes, but I have cleaned more than that apparent amount of rust from a griddle by hand. As long as you prevent it from going any further, you do not care about the rust on the bottom.

e: See this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-7Qz1_iHQ

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

My unitaskers:

- 5-cherry pitter
- Glass cake stand
- Hacked sodastream (arguably)
- Waffle iron
- Ooni clone (arguably)
- popcorn popper (which I use exclusively for roasting coffee)

Do they take up space? yeah. Do they really loving shine when their moment comes? Absolutely.
Alton is not the boss of me.
- Cherry pitter
- Whipped-cream maker, the whippet-based kind
- Spaetzle maker. Husband is perfectly capable of making them by hand, he just likes the extruded ones better
- Waffle iron, duh
- Special rolling pin for crackers and maybe lefse (It's corrugated)
- Special rolling pin for spekulaas/gingerbread/springerle (it has flowers carved into it)
- bannetons and liners
- pasta mill (not the kind that extrudes, the kind that flattens)
- Victorio tomato crusher/strainer
- canning tongs

Specialty tasks often need specialty tools, duh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sorry for double post.

FaradayCage posted:

Ordered the stainless steel. Leeroy Jenkins.

Worth noting the All-Clad seconds/damaged packaging sale is on again.

So...what are our thoughts on this sous vide circulator? https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/sous-vide-immersion-circulator-stainless-steel.html

I've had a food saver for awhile and came into tons of packaging. Starting to think I should give it a shot.

Serious Eats thinks it's lousy.

quote:

All-Clad Sous Vide: This model is bulky and extremely loud, and it gave inaccurate temperature readings during our testing. It's also very expensive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Though are there other good applications for a tortilla press? Seems like it might be good for making egg fresh pasta too.

I doubt it. First of all, what pasta are you making that will fit comfortably in the size of a tortilla press? Second, flour has gluten and masa harina/corn does not. If you're trying to make flat pasta, you roll it out, you don't squish it out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Borsche69 posted:

you can make flour tortillas in a press. not sure what problem gluten adds to the conversation. i'm not sure how you're supposed to flatten pasta without 'squishing' it, rolling is squishing.
Flour tortillas don't need to hold together when dropped into boiling water. Rolling out pasta dough helps develop the gluten.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Maybe dumpling wrappers? But having made them the other day, I think again it might be done better with a pasta machine.
A pasta machine makes dumpling wraps quickly, and much more tender than the ones you can buy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, stealing this! Thanks so much.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think you can also remove the top rack completely? Check the manual. (Yes, you can put it back again.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

:same: I have greyed quarter and half sheet pans for greasy or oily jobs, and shiny new aluminum for everything else.
For baking, I belong to the One True Church of USA Pans. Slicker'n a smelt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

why is it legal to sell kitchen sinks that won’t fit a half pan? how do you soak them? it’s unacceptable

:emptyquote:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody has made the perfect spatula yet.

All-silicone is great because there’s no seam and the handle doesn’t get hot from resting on the side of the pot. But if you have a utensil holder that has other tools in it, the silicone handle loves gripping onto the other tools, resisting you when you pull it out
Silicone also loves collecting grease, refusing to let it go, and becoming permasticky. I still prefer mine, but it's an annoyance.

Thumposaurus, what's the dent in the blade of the spatula you linked for?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Le Creuset now has a pottery line that color coordinates with their enameled line.

I've never seen the point of a coordinated set. Different dishes require different pots.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cassius Belli posted:

Right, why would I ever want an all-matching set? To me at least, half the charm of having enameled ironware is having a whole kaleidoscope of colors.
Not even that: I want my cast-iron and my All-Clad and my carbon steel, each serving a different purpose. I like enameled casseroles, but I don't see why I would want an enamelware skillet.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mystes posted:

for me one enameled cast iron dutch oven is enough
We have a normal one and a big one and the one I seriously discolored by using the overnight bread method of heating an empty pan in the oven. (The cold-oven method works beautifully, btw.) There is also a flat-skillety one (okay, I forgot that above) that is great for heating something and then braising it under cover the rest of the way. Oh, and one flat open casserole for shallow bakeable things like chicken thighs baked in mustard.

My mental drawer for enameled iron is "things that cook slowly and/or would discolor in cast iron".

We have too many pots. I am slowly throwing stuff away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

- Stainless steel pot/pan essentials.
Anything that is tri-ply or “multiclad” will work great. If possible I would recommend ones that have flared rims for spill proof pouring. And look for comfortable handles
Bring a refrigerator magnet when you go shopping. You want the magnet to stick to the pot. Otherwise, it won't work with the induction stove you will probably be using at some point in the future.