Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thumposaurus posted:

I've used that particular model in a commercial bakery to scale out bread dough. It held up to heavy everyday use with out crapping out. Every other scale I've used in those situations only end up lasting about 6 months if your lucky.
That one has been in use over 3 years now.

3rding the MyWeigh 8000. I use mine several times a week and it's very stout and more than worth its purchase price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lawnie posted:

I know we already had instant pot chat on this page, but I'm trying to decide if I should get a traditional stovetop pressure cooker (a bit wary because my stove's BTU output is miserable) or an instant pot (wary that it can't pressurize as high as a traditional pressure cooker). Please help goons. Assume I'm spending ~$100.

I'm all about the stovetop pressure cooker, but if you're concerned about your range, then go with the Instant Pot. It doesn't create as much pressure, but we're talking 5-10 minutes more cooking time (if even that much). It'll still drastically reduce the cooking time for everything you use it on, and since it's electric you don't have to fiddle with the heat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Biggest Jerk posted:

If I'm going to be moving out in 1 year (and not bringing kitchen utensils with me), does it matter if I get a cheap 8-inch knife? It shouldn't dull that quickly right?

Why not buy a decent knife and just bring it and only it with you when you move out? It won't take up that much space, and then you won't have to buy another knife.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, I've never been entirely impressed with any of the work around methods. My buddy has an electric smoker and it works OK, but best results still come from smoking for a couple of hours in a proper smoker or modified grill, then transferring to the electric for the overnight.

What's the downside of an electric smoker, exactly? Isn't it just an electric method of producing the same smoke as any other method, just with no open flame?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So it's not really even a "smoke ring", it's more of a "combustion byproduct gases ring". Interesting.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

I'm working my way through a general cookbook (Betty Crocker 2007) and I'll need to pick up some stuff to complete all the recipes. Off the top of my head, I know I need to get a popover pan.

Does the thread have opinions on brands or materials? I was just going to go with whatever is cheapest on Amazon.ca, but from the recipe I think I'll like making popovers for breakfast and I can happily pay a few more dollars for something noticeably better in quality.

EDIT: keeping on the breakfast theme, a wafflemaker is in my future. I was just going to get something from a thrift shop, but I'm open to suggestions here, too.

I don't know about what type of pan you need, but one thing that I've had drilled into my head thanks to an episode of The Splendid Table is that the pan must be preheated in the oven before pouring in the batter, or otherwise they won't rise properly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Classic Thermapens are on sale for only $59 right now, brand new. This is by far the cheapest I've ever seen them for a non-refurb item, and it's available in six colors, unlike a lot of their sales that are limited to a single color. If you don't have one, jump on this!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

Forgive me if I missed it but I searched the first 30 pages or so for keyword: Scale

Is there a fairly agreed upon awesome digital food scale? I can find lots under 20 bucks with 4.5 star reviews on Amazon, but they all smack of rebranded generics and despite the good reviews there are tons of ones that say they just stopped working after 3 weeks or whatever...

Any good ones for a fair(ly inexpensive) price?

Thanks!

Here.

You'll never need another scale.

EDIT: Oh, you need one with a higher resolution. Well, I can't help you with that, but you should buy this scale anyway because it's the best.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

Are there such things as instant read scales?

My current ones take a good 10 or so seconds to register changes. Ruined so much dough (because I'm lazy) because of it.

INCEPTION MEGAPOST

The Midniter posted:

Here.

You'll never need another scale.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking for a good, not too expensive roasting pan, preferably with a rack, and large enough to hold a decent-sized chicken.

Currently looking at this 18 inch granite ware covered roaster, but I'm not sure how good granite ware is at roasting, and I'd have to get a rack as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Granite-0509...ds=roasting+pan

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Also taking recs on breadmakers. My girlfriend has this one, and I like it a lot, but wondering if there's something better for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CB...rds=bread+maker

Check it out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

You will need to use a lot more fat to cook, if you don't want your food to stick. It will stick anyway, so get used to deglazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

Am I good to just use more oil or should I hold out for melted shortening?

Thanks guys! :)

Any high-heat neutral oil is fine. I use canola.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

So... higher? What temp then?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

They literally just finished a 4th of July sale on Mk4 Thermapens for something like $79. They only came in red, white, and blue, obviously, but a brand new unit for a couple bucks more sounds better to be than an open box unit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

obi_ant posted:

Please pardon my ignorance, I recently moved so I'm doing a bit of research to see what type of kitchen equipment I need. I'm looking at frying pans / skillets at the moment and I can't really tell if a cast iron skillet can be used to "replace" a regular stainless steel one. From that the research I've been doing, it would be advantageous for me to get a frying pan that can go from the stove top to the oven if needed. Which led me to look at cast iron. I know that cast iron requires more maintenance when compared to their stainless counterparts. So, for the frying pan and deeper skillet, would it make sense for me to go strictly cast iron?

Stainless steel pans can go into the oven with no problem. The only type of stovetop cookware I'd be hesitant to put in the oven would be nonstick.

I'd just stick with a quality tri-ply stainless steel skillet rather than have to deal with the weight, somewhat uneven heat distribution, and long heating time of cast iron. Don't get me wrong, cast iron is awesome and definitely has its purposes, but for everyday cooking I'd go stainless.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ChefSteps is currently having a sale on the Joule for anyone interested, $30 off. Coupon code is SUMMERJOULE30, good today only!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quite A Tool posted:

I need a good thermal drip coffee set up under $100, anyone have suggestions? We made the mistake of getting rid of a yard sale mr. coffee one when we moved and I've been using a hot plate cheapo for three years. I need better coffee in my life

Not sure if "thermal drip" is the same as regular drip coffee, but after our last coffeemaker poo poo the bed, we invested in this one. It's right near your budget limit, but it has the biggest carafe we could find (we drink a lot of coffee), is very attractive, and was just under the height of our kitchen cabinets so it stores nicely on the counter. Makes some pretty drat good coffee, comes with a reusable filter, and the "bold" setting on it makes some strong coffee too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I checked some places online, and it looks like a bunch of stores are doing Labor Day weekend sales now, so maybe we don't have to wait.

I'd highly recommend using their no-interest financing option if your parents either have or could qualify for a Best Buy store card. We bought a washer and dryer from there that came out to like $1200 and got 18 months interest-free. Only took us 6 to pay them off, but the flexibility was nice especially if there are money issues present.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My coffee grinder poo poo the bed recently and I actually used the processor attachment for my stick blender to ghetto grind some beans. It was a very coarse grind but it did work!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Misen has a new kickstarter going for cookware. Skillets, sauciers, and a stock pot. I bought their knife and it's become my daily workhorse and I'm very happy with it, but I won't be participating in this one as I'm mostly happy with the cookware I do have. I'd love a saucier, actually, but they aren't selling them individually.

If anyone pulls the trigger, let the rest of the thread know how their stuff is. I'm interested to see how their five-ply tech stands up against traditional tri-ply cookware out there today.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Woot is having a sale on a NutriChef immersion circulator today for $63.99 in new condition. Never used that brand before and don't know anything about it but it's not rocket science and that's pretty drat cheap for a circulator.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo dude, I've been thinking about getting a robot vacuum for months now but hesitate to pull the trigger even when some model comes on Woot for like $150-200...how much better could a $900 one be? Does it give you a hand jibber when it's done vacuuming?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thermapen Mk4 20% off, $79 versus $99 regular price. Cheapest I've seen since the July 4th sale, and available in every color, not just red, white, and blue (lol).

Make sure you follow the embedded link, as it's not navigable from the main ThermoWorks site.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Where's the best place to put an oven thermometer? Right now I have it hanging in the back, off of the lightbulb fixture. There's not really a whole lot of other places to hang it. Where will it capture the most accurate temp? Right now it's showing that my oven is underheating by about 50 degrees, which would explain why a lot of stuff I cook takes longer than expected, but seems a bit too large of a discrepancy.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So a couple of years ago I got the Peugeot Paris U’Select Pepper Grinder. It owns and I love it and it’s beautiful and I wouldn’t trade it for anything... but it is annoying to use when I need large quantities of pepper for recipes that call for spoonfuls. What’s a good electric pepper grinder that grinds pepper ultra super fine as gently caress so I don’t bite into broken peppercorn chunks?

Just an FYI re: everyone suggesting the Unicorn Magnum pepper mill. It is hands down the best mill I've ever used and I'll use mine until the heat death of the universe. HOWEVER, the one caveat is that even on its finest setting, the pepper it spits out isn't particularly fine. It's not powdery, if that's what you're looking for. It's still pretty fine, but it is definitely not "ultra super fine".

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My $30 Cuisinart stick blender has been great FWIW

Seconded.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

How fine is it, then? I’m looking for something as fine as the Peugeot Paris on the 1 setting.

I tightened the fineness screw as much as I could.

Peppercorn for scale.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Last turkey I brined, I used a 5 gallon bucket and just bought one of those cheapo brining bags from the supermarket. Worked a charm.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

I'm curious now: what happens to them?

Water gets in them and they get waterlogged, preventing them from providing the "air bake" feature for which they're known.

It's totally fine to wash and rinse them, just don't submerge.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Head's up: All-Clad is having their black friday factory seconds sale early, use the password "ABCFRIDAY" to get into their site: https://homeandcooksales.com/

I grabbed a 3qt saute pan for $50 which is a really nice deal and will replace my crappy $20 nonstick saute pan. Normally this is $100 on Amazon.

For anyone who tried the password above and it didn't work, it's actually ACBFRIDAY (All Clad Black Friday.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Erwin posted:

$450 for the 14-piece All-Clad cookware set is like, a real good price, right? My pots and pans are piecemeal and in pretty bad shape, so if this cyber-monday price is as good as I think it is, I might as well take advantage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZCEN7Q8/

That's a steal for a 14-piece set.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tonberrytoby posted:

Are convection ovens really that rare in the US? Here in Germany most recipes include a value for convection ovens. For example: a box of frozen pizza says 200° with top+bottom heat or 180° in a convection oven.

Yes, they're not at all common or the norm here.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got this cutting board set from Costco about six months ago. I prefer wood, but can't be arsed with taking care of them (other than my largest special-occasion one) so they inevitably split or warp or something. These boards are excellent, and the largest one is goddamn enormous and fantastic.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just cook my shakshuka in a stainless steel saute pan. :shrug:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

I've decided I am going to tackle crepes. Do I need some fancy expensive crepier pan if I just plan on doing this from time to time on my glass top? (or Induction?)

Or can I just go get a 10-12 inch shallow-walled nonstick and be good to go?

The latter. I got my wife a crepe pan for Xmas (at her request) and it's literally just a 10-inch nonstick skillet without walls.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Budge knifechat, I got a Misen chef knife back from when they had their original Kickstarter and it's been my workhorse ever since. Really holds an edge well, and they're about $65.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Specifically I was looking at the Oster Beehive blender. I've used one a bunch at work and am confident it can essentially do what I think I want, plus build quality seems good and the aesthetics are A+. I'm just wondering if multiple speeds are enough of a value-add to a blender that I might want to make a different choice.

It's cheap and you're interested in it. Just go for it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I just bought my dad a Thermopop for Father’s Day. Now I’m trying to think of a good second gift in the $70 range, and I can use some help from this thread. My dad isn’t an easy guy to buy for, but I know he likes to cook and he likes to bake, so those might be good places to start.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Be a better child to your father and use that $70 to get him a Thermapen, even if it's "only" the classic model.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rather than buy a whole new fridge, I'd demand Samsung honor the warranty if a repair tech already came out and it didn't fix the problem. It's not your fault they sent an incompetent tech to fix the fridge while still under warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Except what if it breaks again? This fridge is only a year old, and getting Samsung to repair it this one time has been an absolute ordeal. We haven’t had a working fridge in like three weeks, and we have lost hundreds of dollars worth of food to spoilage as a result. Do we really want to be forced to rely on repair service this lovely in the future?

Plus the warranty has already ended, so if the fridge does break again we’re basically hosed.

You could always push them to honor the warranty, have it repaired, and then sell it to defray the cost of the new fridge. I know some might think that's a dick thing to do, but 1) caveat emptor, and 2) there's no guarantee it WILL break again after being repaired.