Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Made eggs in the carbon steel skillet today, 2 over easy, and a 2 egg cheese omelet. Total success. Then later some chicken stir fry. I wouldn't mind if it was smoother but will definitely order the 12".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

VelociBacon posted:

You can throw that in the oven too right? Should be able to do a really nice roasted chicken with it and not have to bother about an oven rack because of the raised skillet ridges. Or am I thinking of something else?

It's steel, so definitely. Also made a delicious cod today, no stickage. Alright, I'll shut up about it now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you want $1 squeeze bottles I'll trade you 5 for one Oxo, or anything else.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

horchata posted:

Would you guys recommend a carbon steel skillet over a Teflon one? I'm going to eventually replace the ceramic non-stick skillet my sister bought me as a house warming gift and was looking at my options.

That ceramic stuff sucks. I just bought a CS skillet and have made eggs and fish with no sticking, just watch the temps. It's more cleanup and takes a little longer so if I'm making a piece of fish for lunch then I use Teflon. But I bought it to replace my cast iron which has a warp. Also my cast iron tends to get hotter and hotter so it's hard to keep a stable temp. The carbon steel skillet maintains a steady temp so I get nice even browning. A 10" is big enough for 2 people, 12" for 3-4 people.

Edit, I have one of those t-fal Teflon pans linked above and they are really good but don't believe that nonsense about dishwasher safe or being scratch proof, you still have to baby them and replace them every couple years.

wormil fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 29, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Awhile back I bought a squirt bottle for oil at the local restaurant supply, it has a different cap than the usual condiment bottle. I only bought one to make sure it wouldn't leak like the others and it didn't. Went back today to buy more and they had discontinued and sold out of them. :argh:

Says 1121 Tablecraft USA 4, on the bottom. It's a 12oz bottle. The difference is it has an extra inner lip that goes inside the bottle and prevents oil from weeping out the threads. Looks similar to this:
https://www.hubert.com/product/26746/Tablecraft-Silicone-Squeeze-Bottle-Sauce-Bands-for-8-12-Oz

Not sure if that's the same bottle. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I have regular squirt bottles but I want more of this specific type of bottle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
T-fal sells 2 nearly identical skillets, one made in France, has a bolted handle, and slightly thicker aluminum (going by looks); the other is made in (?China) and has a riveted handle. They look identical at first. The China version goes convex and the handle gets loose. The French one stays flat (so far) and the handle is tight. It wouldn't surprise me if some sellers are shipping the Chinese version in place of the French version. The French Teflon is no more durable than the Chinese version though and I think you'd be nuts to put them in a dishwasher.
edit; after reading through those reviews, apparently the French version goes convex too. I have the 10" version and it's flat.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 12, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Use thighs. They have a lot of meat, no small bones, very little cartilage, and aren't easy to overcook. Legs will work fine too but there is less meat to other stuff ratio.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

...any brands I should steer clear of (eg., my Black & Decker coffee maker does just fine at making coffee good enough for me, but the clock died about 2 weeks in, so it kinda defeated the purpose of having a pot that would make coffee before I wake up at 4am everyday. :/ )

I would just buy the Instant Pot. rear end tons of people buy them and bad experiences seems to be rare compared to most kitchen appliances. Most of the negative stuff I've read was about the version with all the extra bluetooth poo poo. Mine has some buttons but all I ever do is hit manual and up or down for the # of minutes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Subjunctive posted:

E: how often do people oil their cutting boards?

Never. Well, I did once but the next trip through the dishwasher and you couldn't tell.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been a hobbyist woodworker for 30some years, the oil is only for looks. Wood is dead. The oil provides nearly zero protection against moisture and odors.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

nwin posted:

I oil because I’m worried about the wood drying and cracking/splitting. Is that wrong?

Oil will not prevent wood from splitting or cracking. End grain checking comes from uneven moisture gain or loss. Wood movement is hydraulic, moisture causes swelling and loss of moisture causes shrinking. I can't explain it in engineering terms because I'm not an engineer but basically the two woods (dry and moist) are moving at different rates and inbetween is a stress point. If the stress builds up too fast or becomes too much, the wood cracks or warps. It's actually a little more complicated but that doesn't matter for this discussion. Mineral oil will provide some minor moisture barrier, roughly equivalent to lotion on your skin, but will not stop water penetration entirely. Wax is much better at preventing moisture penetration and paraffin is best of all.

As for odors, I suspect that is more complicated as oils or fats from the foods could maybe mingle with the mineral oil and actually linger while others may be repelled or indifferent. I think washing the cutting board is a better defense against odors.

Subjunctive posted:

I’d love to know more about the physics of what you’re talking about.

I can't explain it in terms of physics and I don't have any ready online resources. Bob Flexner among others have done experiments with finishing oils and written about them. A layer of fresh oil will provide the most protection but once it soaks in, water will be also be able to penetrate. You can test it yourself with a board, mineral oil, and a waterbase dye. Let oil soak into a board, apply dye and see if it stains the wood, it will.

There are oils that will cure to a solid film and provide more protection (like tung oil) but those aren't normally used on cutting boards and probably wouldn't survive a wash with soap and warm water.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I always believed mineral oil evaporates because no matter how many coats I apply, in days or weeks it appears dry again. (on stuff like bowls that are just sitting around) I'm told it doesn't evaporate but I don't know where it goes. Witchcraft maybe. People have done tests where they puddle oil on the surface of a board for 24 hours then cut the board in half and it doesn't penetrate very far. I think in the end that oil, especially mineral oil, is primarily for looks and does about as much to protect wood as lotion protects our skin. Sometimes people mix it with beeswax which no doubt is more protection, probably akin to chapstick.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

Once cured, drying oils like tung aren't water soluble...

I believe regular washing will remove the tung oil before it can build into a thick enough layer to resist warm soapy water. Tung oil takes forever to dry.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Farking Bastage posted:

These babies right here are a Godsend.

How long have you used it? I have trouble with oil seeping from the threads, plugging the sprayer, or dripping. Not on this particular sprayer but various ones over the years. My wife bought an aluminum one that makes oil go rancid for some reason.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Farking Bastage posted:

I've had that set for a couple of months. No issues whatsoever.

Cool. I might get one.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The oven vent allows moisture to escape. If you set a pot over the rear element it will be covered in condensation.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I had the same thing happen with Samsung, the repair guy helped us by writing the problem as a manufacturing defect and we eventually got a refund. I asked him what to buy and he recommended Whirlpool, not because it's the best but because they are easy to repair, which I can confirm.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The problem with Samsung is the fridge isn't designed for repair. All the electronics and pumps are assembled then the sealed box is lowered over them, so they can only be reached by complete disassembly. Basically if anything goes wrong, you replace the fridge. And when mine broke, Samsung had only 2 authorized repairmen that covered 3 states so it took a week or more for someone to show up. One of those guys was incompetent. We went months without a fridge dealing with Samsung's warranty service.

I hate side by sides, waste of space. Mine is a 36" wide, french door with freezer on the bottom. It's a Whirlpool and uses the same parts as half a dozen other brands. If it stops working, you pull it away from the wall and almost all the parts can be replaced with a screwdriver and nut driver. There are repair sites that will ship the parts overnight and have videos on how to replace them but you probably have a local place that carries the parts for the same price. Not a fancy pants fridge but when it stopped working I was able to fix it myself in 2 days.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have to wonder why we need computers in our refrigerators.

I wonder that about a lot of things. There is something to be said for simplicity.

Also, buy the extended warranty.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tfal is probably the best of the less expensive brands but they have 2 tiers of quality, a thicker one with riveted handle, and a thinner one with some other handle that will loosen after a few weeks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone have the “fixed” recipe for making rice in an instant pot?

From memory I think it's 1:1 with a splash extra. I even do it that way on the stove now. But yeah, if you check the website they have it.

Canuck-Errant posted:

... I don't know if I cook enough for it to be worth buying. Thoughts?

If not, you will. It's stupidly easily to use and pretty much foolproof.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Re, toasters, I bought a Panasonic toaster oven and it does a great job toasting and less well job at pretending to be a general purpose oven. I paid around $70 Black Friday or one of those days. It doesn't take up much space, toasts evenly, so I would recommend it as a toaster.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

FordCQC posted:

Any recommendations on toaster ovens? It's the only thing I could think of to tell my wife to get me for Xmas but she hates researching things. Anything good in the $100-$150 range?

I just bought this, it has met my expectations so far. It's toasts evenly in about 2.5 min for light.

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB..._pop_d_pd_title

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My 12" tfal had the center bump, comes that way, but the 10" is heavier duty and flat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, it seems there are two quality levels of tfal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I clean my coffee grinder by grinding rice then wiping it out with a damp towel. Works for grinding dried hot peppers, no spicy coffee after although that wouldn't be the worst thing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Booyah- posted:

I got this and it's been working well. Does the whole LED display blink on and off during toasting for you too or is that just mine?

Mine also blinks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I need to replace my worn out kitchen towels. I was going to buy a 50 pack of bar towels but my wife is vetoing the idea, she is afraid of white towels. I don't like those bulky pretty towels sold in department stores and they aren't very absorbent either. What do you guys like for kitchen towels?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

50 packs of white terry towels for $20 from Costco. If one gets permanent stains I just toss it.

Like these? We don't have a costco membership.
https://smile.amazon.com/Shop-Towels-Pack-Reusable-Cotton/dp/B00UF7UNTQ/

Actually, probably like these?
https://smile.amazon.com/Cleaning-Solutions-79118-Purpose-Commercial/dp/B07CRQ943N/

Enigma posted:

Best of both worlds is cheap, workhorse towels you keep in a cabinet and actually use as towels, and a few decorative towels that just decorate.

That would work great for me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lawnie posted:

You’re massively overthinking this

Or, gitmo moneyson parachute spotted?
How so?

I need a translation.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lawnie posted:

They’re just towels, find whatever is cheapest in whatever size bulk you need on amazon with an agreeable appearance to your SO.

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a vetting process for questions. Towels are probably the MOST used thing in my kitchen, by far, and we dirty 2-3 per day. The last time I mentioned (in passing, an off hand remark really) buying white towels my wife ran out and bought a stack of pretty color towels with an agreeable appearance and they suck. They have been washed so many times they are starting to fray and a couple have holes and they are still not very absorbent. So I went out and picked out some "just towels" in bulk that were inexpensive (basically your advice) and guess what, they suck too. We are not in a crisis situation so I'm going to take a minute and ask because I don't think it does any harm and I'll probably get some valuable advice. Are we good or do I need to justify my question some more?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/williams-sonoma-striped-towels-navy/?pkey=cdish-cloths-towels&isx=0.0
These are my favorite. I think I’ve had the same half a dozen for 5 years now? They maybe have a few stains and are starting to get a little tired, but they’ve held up very well.

I saw those recommended on a few sites but I never know if they actually tried them or just picked something that pays affiliate money. I'll show her these.

Steve Yun posted:

Either one! $20-22 is super cheap and they’ll last at least a year before most of them are permanently stained. You can even set aside some “keep these clean” towels and some “let these get dirty” towels in different piles semi-permanently

Yeah I'm all about throwing things away that don't live up to expectations or are too dirty but my wife and her family are one of those 'use what you have until it falls apart and don't expect better,' kind of families. As time goes by I have less tolerance for underperforming products. I'd throw away half our kitchen gear but my wife would be in tears (literally). I'll grab some of those and give them a try.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't most of those youtube people use propane stoves?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

Many still do, but induction is quite literally, the new hotness.

If they are using the same brand, like they did with propane, it's probably sponsored.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Maybe a dumb question but with a rice cooker like the Zojirushi or Tiger, can I make something like spinach, mushroom, rice with chicken stock? Or is it plain rice only?
(edit; after watching a video it's seems the answer is yes because these work exactly like the $20 cookers.)

The reason I ask is the only rice cooker I've used besides those little $20 Aroma pots was a rice steamer we used to have where you put water in the bottom and rice in the top. With it you couldn't use stock because it would gunk up and burn in the bottom. (edit; it was a steamer with separate chambers for water and rice.)

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 11, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't have any trouble making rice on the stove but we eat enough rice that a machine might be worthwhile. How are they to clean?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Verisimilidude posted:

cooked at a rich friend's house this past weekend and I'm in love with their tramontina pro pans. They're so good, way better than the restaurant pans I used to use, and significantly better than the cuisinarts/dollar store non-sticks that I have currently.

I was just looking at them online. My Tfal teflon pan poo poo the bed and I was debating whether to get another teflon pan. I was leaning toward one of those Techef square omelette pans from Japan.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone have experience with carbon steel pans? I got a lodge one but there seems to be a lot of pore space in the metal and I'm wondering if a different brand would have a more smooth finish

Also what is the best way to season one?

I bought a Lodge last year and it's smooth, way smoother than their cast iron. I love it, that thing is nearly as nonstick as Teflon.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have seen flat bottomed pans with high curved sides, a kind of quasi wok, but they were Teflon. I wish they made one in carbon steel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think it's just a small stabby thing used to prick the end of meat on the grill and flip it. Used instead of tongs so you don't disturb the rub or sauce. I'm guessing because the only context I've heard of them is in BBQ contests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Probably a stupid question but are meat grinders easy to clean? Can they go in the dishwasher?