Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
8qt is definitely the way to go. I got the 6 quart on a Cyber Monday deal and while it is great, I was right at max fill to make ~3qt of chicken stock. Not having to babysit a pot for half a day is nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the basic $30 Cuisinart one with the white plastic body and it's been up to any task I've thrown at it (soups, mayo, turning dried chiles into paste). However it's at least 6-7 years old and doesn't have that safety button. Looks like the new ones do? I googled it and that looks really annoying.

If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably get one of the ones that can double as a mini food processor (instead of having two separate things).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This sounds intriguing, as I could also use a mini chop-chop. Got a link you could throw me?

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/hand_blenders/csb-79.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MCIXO60/ref=pd_aw_fbt_79_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EHD89X778BA15F446VP3

I take that back, I guess. The first has that dumb button and for the second one you also need the All Clad stick, which brings the total cost to almost $150. Maybe try to find a cheap, old, :derp: UNSAFE :derp: Cuisinart on eBay? I tend to pulse a lot and having to dick with a second button would drive me nuts.

Maybe I won the cheap equipment lottery, but I think this is one area where the extra bucks don't buy you much. I have a cheap, crappy mini processor (Hamilton Beach, probably about 10 years old) to match my cheap stick blender and no complaints so far. My expensive full size versions mostly sulk in a cabinet, making me feel guilty about putting them on the wedding registry because OF COURSE I'll use that 14 cup Cuisinart all the time! :byodood:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MrYenko posted:

I think an extra 100w is actually waaaay worth $30, whereas wireless can go suck itself.

:v:

I paid more for the 800w a couple years ago than the 900w is today!

The BT feature is mostly useless when I can just look across the room, but the extra 100w seems like the kind of thing you could only regret by not having.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I looked one over (plus the extensive high-production-value marketing materials) in Williams Sonoma. Seems like the kind of thing someone would get if they want to be Instant Pot levels of passionate about a kitchen appliance, but also don't like cooking.

That said, I tend to get judgemental in stores like W-S and Sur La Table to compensate for secretly wanting all the shiny kitchen things, so the true answer is :capitalism:

Unrelated:

My Krups coffee grinder died after a decade+. Is that still the go-to tool for spice grinding? The Cuisinart with the removable stainless cup sounds appealing but the Amazon reviews don't speak well of its quality.

Edit:

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I like my Oxo shears for most things, but when I need to break down a chicken, I like my Fiskars butcher shears better. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJUNHVU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_MUBYDbCVBMQT8

Same, I use my Oxo shears all the time, but prefer a more robust pair of poultry shears for cutting through chicken bones, etc. I've used the Oxo in a pinch and it was fine though. Not sure what brand my poultry shears are, all I cared about was whether I could separate the blades before throwing it in the dishwasher.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 12, 2019

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bartlebee posted:

Staub 4 quart round cast iron Dutch ovens on sale for $99 through Williams Sonoma and amazon. Any particular reason to pick this up if I already own a big standard lodge cast iron Dutch oven?

I bought one when that deal ran a couple years ago (I think they do it every year). Thought it would be a good compromise on size, cost, and quality. I'm about to do the opposite and buy a 6qt Lodge, and consign the Staub to the back of a cabinet.

It's fine when cooking for 2 (or a side dish), but the 4qt size feels limiting. However my wife likes it because it's lighter, and having an extra dutch oven to make side dishes does come in handy occasionally. However, since I do most of the cooking it probably won't see regular use once we get a bigger one.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Sign up for the Thermoworks mailing list, they have sales, open box, etc all the time.

dino. posted:

Dear gods how many people are y'all cooking for that a gallon sized pot is /small/.

I cook for 2 (and soon 3), but I work long hours and sometimes leftovers are the difference between a home cooked meal and takeout. There are also some minor annoyances around it being an awkward size for my burners and most Dutch oven recipes assuming you have a 5.5-7qt pot.

I use the 4qt all the time and it's perfectly fine. I intend to keep it and continue using it. But there has never been a situation where I felt like I couldn't do what I was doing as well or better in a standard sized DO. So my point is, if you want a second one, go for it; but it's not going to do something the Lodge won't :shrug:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Steve Yun posted:

Are there liquid measuring cups where the measurement lines don't rub off after a few years? I've been using Anchor Hocking and they invariably become unreadable after a few years. This led to a friend helping in the kitchen loving up beignets because she misread the measurements.

I would like to stick to glass but if I have to go plastic I will. How are the Oxo measuring cups holding up after years of use?

Nth-ing Pyrex, I have a couple that are 10+ years old, go through the dishwasher all the time, and still look new. I just bought a 4-cup one to replace my Oxo.

I have a couple 1-cup Oxos and had a 4-cup. The 1-cup ones are fine and the angled markings are indeed great. However the 4-cup developed stress cracks in the bottom pretty quickly, although it didn't start leaking until a month or so ago (having had it 3ish years).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ended up buying the 6qt Cosori air fryer and don't regret it. It does 90% of what I would use a countertop convection oven for - reheating single portions, cooking finger foods for my toddler, and acting as a second oven for cooking sides. If needed, it can go in a cabinet, which is important to us in our current place (may not apply to everyone).

Oh and the specific gravity thing works with tacos, too. Best part is the tortillas naturally curl up as they die.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I think if a toaster oven is an option, even a mediocre toaster oven is going to be more useful than any air fryer.

Thay said, as far as air fryers go, I like the fact that the Cosori has a square basket (not round) and has a few other QOL features that make it more usable as a compact general purpose convection oven instead of just an "air fryer." The 5.8qt is a good size for what I need (I'm generally cooking for 2 adults + a kid and it's perfect for making a side of, say, roasted potatoes while something else is in the oven). There is a smaller version available that I believe is otherwise the same.

I have never tried making toast with it though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Related chat, recommend me a griddle for use on a glass cooktop (coil, not induction). Two-burner preferred (e: square/rectangular also preferred). Everything on Amazon seems to have something that makes it unsuitable.

The aluminum nonstick ones all have complaints of warping. The cast iron ones are reversible with grill grates on the underside, not sure how that's going to work on an electric burner (feel free to tell me I'm wrong here). The Lodge carbon steel has handles that make it too long and again, complaints of not being flat.

Basically give me a reason not to buy an electric griddle.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

xtal posted:

Have you considered just getting an electric griddle?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Basically give me a reason not to buy an electric griddle.

I have an electric skillet but the temp control sucks, and I only use it for pancakes anyways, so the high sides are annoying. Was hoping to replace it with something a little easier to store but such is life.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The skillet I have is a basic DeLonghi I got as a wedding gift years ago. It may just have a bad thermostat and/or poor heat distribution. The difference between pale pancakes and burned pancakes with a gooey center is basically down to a wiggle of the knob and the phase of the moon.

I ordered an IR thermometer and a cast iron Lodge griddle. If I'm going to do an experiment, I'm going to do it with science :science:

e: Changed my mind, I am going to get the ATK best buy electric. A hunk of hot cast iron that I can't move much until it cools and a toddler who can juuuust get his hand over the countertop seems like a bad combination.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 6, 2021

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ended up getting 19-inch Tilt and Fold, it was highly recommended by both ATK and Serious Eats which is good enough for me.

100% Dundee posted:

After watching the new Bon Appétit videos with Harold Villarosa and hearing him rave about the Presto electric griddles that he uses to film outdoors

I haven't watched any BA videos since the whole controversy over their culture and treatment of POC staff erupted, so I was unaware of Harold and his griddles. Gonna have to make his grilled cheese and chicken adobo.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

VelociBacon posted:

I have this one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0865KVZV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fantastic and I love it. I very rarely cook bar food in it like you describe and instead do stuff like cook eggs in ramakins for breakfast sandwiches with english muffins, or squash that I cube and toss in seasoning and a bit of oil. The latter is similar to roasting squash in an oven, just a little more 'fried' due to the surface area.

I have the same one (but the "dumb" version without wifi etc) and I concur with this assessment. The square basket really seals it.

I can confirm it makes great wings too, though.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tri-ply stainless? Just don't let them get too hot, or move them straight from a burner to cold water (ie my wife's habit of immediately rinsing a hot pan under the sink). All Clad if you want to spend, Tramontina if you don't.

The other choice would be carbon steel, I guess, but I could never get the seasoning right on mine.

Griddle update: it works well but I'm glad I got the IR thermometer too. 325 on the thermostat is 375 on the cooking surface. 375 on the dial is the surface of the sun.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have this one which is nice. If I had room for a semi-permanent countertop appliance I'd get a real convection toaster oven instead, but I don't and this is about as big as I want to deal with digging out of the cabinet on a regular basis.

Big thing on an air fryer IMO is to get a square basket rather than round. Most "features" are just presets, kind of like on an Instant Pot.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Of all my cookware the ones I use most are:

12" tri-ply stainless - basically everything except fish and eggs
8" and 12" nonstick - fish and eggs, plus general "second pan" duties, if my wife didn't hate cast iron I'd have cast iron in the 12" instead of nonstick
6qt enamel Dutch oven
6qt Instant Pot (get a steamer insert)
2-ish qt sauce pan
Half and quarter sheet aluminum pans with matching stainless oven-safe racks

This covers probably 90% of my cooking needs (I don't make a lot of pasta). Maybe add a casserole dish or lasagna pan. If you're cooking for one you could probably get 10" pans instead of 12", but as a renter I've had issues with some electric ranges being specifically sized for either 8" or 12" pans.

I have a 10" tri-ply saute pan that I almost never use, I would make a batch of pasta sauce in the Dutch oven and then boil in the Instant Pot given the setup above.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah I got one with adjustable emissivity but so far I haven't messed with it. That seems to be the only real "feature" worth spending a few bucks extra for.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thermoworks is making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at 8AM MT tomorrow. Presumably it is about whatever will succeed the Thermapen Mk4.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
No USB-C quick charging, what is this the 2010s?

Arcsech posted:

That's cool I guess but I've never felt the need for a faster thermometer than the mk4. Nice for folks who are buying a new one anyway, but I'll keep using my mk4 until it dies.

Yeah same, if my Mk4 died today I'd buy another one off clearance. If those were gone I'd just buy a Classic.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
How else are they going to upsell you on the silicone case?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Meaty Ore posted:

My toaster has been giving inconsistent results lately, and I'm considering a toaster oven to replace it. I do have a question for those of you who have one already: would it also replace a microwave? Counter space is at a bit of a premium and if I can get one small appliance that does the job of two, I'd be all for it.

The answer is: it depends. Do you use your microwave for things like steaming vegetables, boiling water, or reheating soups/stews?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Any recommendations for a quality compact mortar and pestle? Mainly for crushing spices or making small batches of pesto or garlic/ginger paste when I don't want to dig my big granite motherfucker from the back of the cabinet.

I was thinking of something like this but if anyone has one they really like, I'd be curious.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have a Unicorn Magnum that's probably over 10 years old and it works like a charm. Although I was dumb and cheap and got the mini that holds less pepper. It's kind of a pain to refill so some day I'll probably buy the large one.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I had Expectations based on the URL and was very disappointed to see that it was not $149.99 and color-matched to Breville appliances

e: I have had the Oxo side cutter type for ages and it's fine.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

OldSenileGuy posted:

There's nothing really that I would say isn't working out, it's just annoying in several ways. It feels very binary (it's either "too hot" or "not hot enough") and I feel like i don't really have the level of control that I'm used to. It feels not hot enough, so I turn it up and then it gets too hot and stays that way too long and i end up burning whatever I'm making. Part of that can be fixed by me figuring out how to use it better (the aforementioned "take it off the burner" method), but....I don't wanna.

You're basically where I've been on and off over the past 8 years, living in a rental with an electric flat top. I ultimately never pulled the trigger on an induction burner because I kept reading about the noise that the portable ones make and we just didn't have room to justify yet another appliance that just duplicated our stove.

Best advice I can give you is to be really proactive with your heat management. I pretty much never turn my burners past halfway unless I am boiling a pot of water. Even if I'm searing I may only go up to 6-7/10 and that only briefly. And I rarely do anything that requires precise control or fast reactions, like poaching fish or deep frying. It can be done but it's a pain and generally not worth it for me. I also don't do ripping hot searing, but that's more due to poor ventilation and a spouse who is far more odor-sensitive than I am.

It sucks and goondolences, we are moving to a place with a gas cooktop, proper ventilation, and a patio in a month and the improved cooking experience is genuinely one of the most exciting things.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
On the plus side, your house will smell like fried chicken as it burns to the ground

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm looking at chest freezers in the 7 cu.ft. range. I had a 5 cu.ft. Whirlpool for a long time that was great until the gasket developed a leak and the replacement part had been discontinued. Now I guess they don't make anything less than 9 cu.ft. and the jump in price is substantial. Looks like Frigidaire at $300ish and GE at $400ish are my local options, plus a couple brands I know less about (Hisense and Hotpoint). Is the GE really worth $100 more than the Frigidaire?

They're both supposedly "garage ready" (lol I'm not prepared to bet that my garage will never cross 110F)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bird with big dick posted:

Have you considered, instead, an upright freezer?

I have but a) the space I want to put it in will not accommodate an upright b) we will likely be moving again in a couple years and it's easier to deal with a chest freezer c) I don't want to put it in the garage and d) as the previous poster noted, it makes being a serial killer much less convenient

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thermoworks is doing a big open box sale, FYI. I just picked up a Smoke for $63 but they seem to have most of their big-name products available.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That's how I knew about the open box sale :v:

Honestly half of my stuff from them is open box and it has all been as good as new.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

pseudanonymous posted:

Has anyone had good results with ceramic nonstick? I want a 10" or 8" just to do eggs/omelets in. My dad stayed with me for a while and he had one that worked really well.

I got one while my wife was pregnant and wanted Teflon exorcised from the house. That particular one was fine at first but didn't hold up that long. I just got rid of it after about 3 years because scrambled eggs were starting to stick across 2/3 or so of the surface.

I replaced it with a Teflon pan but I am also going to give carbon steel another go.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SubG posted:

A water filter. For the water line in a fridge. In the kitchen. It was a used kitchen item, that amazon sold me.

geez we get it, you're into weird poo poo like drinking water from your fridge

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Wheeee posted:

Nah I want the best air fryer, don’t want a combo device.

Those Cosori’s are what largely prompted my question, that brand is everywhere but I can’t tell if actually good or just extremely effective social marketing; most reviews of them on Youtube are either free review units or straight up sponsored.

Thanks for your input! I’m strongly tempted to just spend double for the Philips for no future second guessing, but hearing good words on Cosori from someone who I assume wasn’t given a freebie is helpful, gonna do more poking around.

I have a Cosori too and like it (although I just moved to a place with a convection oven so I'm not sure how much use it will see now). As stated, it does what it says on the box and I think the basket is the right size/shape for most things you would want an air fryer for.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wait until you discover what it can do with chicken wings :henget:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I got an Oxo recently and the blade was literally as dull as a butterknife. I couldn't believe it. It sharpened okay tho.

I had the white plastic Oxo that at one point was recommended by various sites (can't remember if ATK liked it). It sucked. Not sharp enough and cleaning was a massive pain.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That is my approach as well, most of those sources plus Serious Eats and maybe a few others are the only things I look at. Maybe find a YouTube review that isn't an obvious placement to see the thing in action. At some point I learned to worry less about getting the "best" and just became willing to maybe pay a little extra to be less likely to get a stinker.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The email I got said they were "working on a plan to wind down operations" so barring a white knight coming in and purchasing them, it sounds like that's what is going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Old Ganon posted:

Is plastic wrap supposed to be a tremendous pain in the rear end with it folding in on itself, or is it because my roommate only buys Kroger brand garbage?

I just bought some Kroger brand to replace some Great Value that lasted me many years (I don't use much plastic wrap) and holy poo poo it's so, so bad. To the point where I'm seriously considering tossing the nearly full roll and buying something else because gently caress potentially dealing with this thing for the next 5 years or so.