Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got a zojirushi neurofuzzy for like $190 a few months ago from the warehouse. Brand new, and I was never going to find one below $200 any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Taima posted:

That's cool man. I'm talking about nice kitchen devices and such. I really can't account for you buying... uh... whatever you're up to, but best of luck.
A water filter. For the water line in a fridge. In the kitchen. It was a used kitchen item, that amazon sold me.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Yeah, that's dope man thanks for elaborating.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SubG posted:

A water filter. For the water line in a fridge. In the kitchen. It was a used kitchen item, that amazon sold me.

Looking up a few different water filters and they all come up under home improvement/appliances, while Taima's thing does show up under Kitchen & Dining so maybe that's the difference? I have no dog in this fight but it is possible Taima is correct about used items in the Kitchen category.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've gotten straight up used and broken stuff new from Amazon. Most memorable was a vacuum jar.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Click here

then here

That's it.

I didn't see that on my mainpage, but here is what I was able to find for those uhh... wondering.

https://www.amazon.com/Warehouse-Deals/b/?ie=UTF8&node=10158976011&ref_=sv_gb_4

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SubG posted:

geez we get it, you're into weird poo poo like drinking water from your fridge

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I got a dutch oven from amazon warehouse deals, listed as "item will have small cosmetic damage on the outside of it" and when it arrived it was actually hilarious in how used it was. It looked like someone had been using it for a year or more, bought a new one from amazon, submitted a return on that, and sent back the old one, which came to me.

I've saved probably about a grand by now with warehouse deals. Got a surface laptop 2 for 900 when they were going for twice that because the box had some damage (laptop was brand new and fine). Got two carry-on luggages for half off, same thing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anecdotal Experiences: The Thread

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Brother Tadger posted:

Anecdotal Experiences: The Thread
I mean unless :thejoke: that's pretty much what a product recommendation thread is.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've gotten straight up used and broken stuff new from Amazon. Most memorable was a vacuum jar.
Early in the pandemic I got a bag of flour that had been opened previously and then taped shut.

SubG fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 16, 2022

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hey speaking of Amazon, I just got a coffee maker today that was stained, sticky and missing parts and the package was crawling with ants when I opened it

it also reeks of cigarettes and artificial hazelnut

oh and it was sold as new, for the record

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

okay so obviously what we have here is a goon on 24/7 smoko with a nespresso addiction, which one of you is it returning all this poo poo in this condition

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Taima posted:

That's cool man. I'm talking about nice kitchen devices and such. I really can't account for you buying... uh... whatever you're up to, but best of luck.

Taima posted:

yeah get they rear end

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Taima posted:

We don't deserve such a cool guy...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Taima posted:

how dare he point out that you are wrong and amazon warehouse will absolutely sell you some super used poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

tangential to Rice cooker chat, what's a decent way to dry it out when it's mushy? I accidentally put in too much water when I was heating up leftover white rice.... I'm thinking I should be able to just heat it covered in a pan without oil on low heat. (I'd keep it in the rice cooker on high but it's automatic so it just goes to low heat too quickly)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make new rice? Heating it in a covered pan is just gonna steam it more. You could try a thin layer in a medium to medium high skillet and see if that helps. But if it’s cooked to the point of being mushy I don’t know that you can unmush it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mushy or you just cooked it the normal amount of time and it's still watery?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mushy rice is not just over hydrated rice, but also overcooked. No way to turn back that clock.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Keep going and make porridge I guess.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guy Axlerod posted:

Keep going and make porridge I guess.
You may not be able to win rice beauty queen but you can still get miss congeeniality

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

how dare he point out that you are wrong and amazon warehouse will absolutely sell you some super used poo poo

I don't believe I ever implied that Amazon, or really any consumer facing enterprise would be 100% on point.

All I can say is that when it comes to high end kitchen appliances I'm personally batting 100% over a huge sample size. I'm sorry he got a bad water filter or something, but that wasn't what I was talking about in the first place.

Everyone is free to have their opinions though! I can just walk into my kitchen and see like $10,000 worth of amazing Warehouse purchases. I've never received a used high end kitchen appliance from them, and it's resulted in giant, giant savings.

If we want to throw away this amazing resource because a few people have had a bad experience, that's fine I guess, more kitchen gadgets for me :) everyone needs to figure out where their money is best spent.

It feels like a moot point to me though, personally, because you can drop any amazon warehouse item on the counter at a UPS store and they literally package it and ship it for free. It takes about 9 total seconds. It's great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only obviously used thing I ever got from Amazon was a gas powered generator than had been clearly filled with oil and gas and drained. Which they shouldn’t have even been allowed to ship. So they refunded me and told me to keep it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's a good point. Amazon often allows you to keep items that have an issue and would cost more to ship back. This works for new items as well, not just Warehouse items.

It's this flexibility in customer service that, to me, negates any issues with Warehouse. I wouldn't have half the quality of kitchen appliances I have if not for Warehouse. And again, everything was new in box :shrug: YMMV

e: A short list of Warehouse items that shipped 100% new in box to my house:

- Entire set of All Clad pans/pots for about 60% of retail price.
- the Control Freak I just posted for $1,050
- an Instant Pot Ultra with the air fryer top for about half retail price (I use this constantly by the way; super recommended even at retail price).
- an Oster Versa that I got for ~ $85 dollars

These are just a few items off the top of my head, all new in box. And again, Warehouse as a general policy goal sells these kitchen items at 30-70% off retail. They don't do that for every category, but kitchen stuff is for whatever reason one of the big exceptions.

The key to this kind of deal hunting is to understand how Amazon categorizes the quality of their used items.

Let me give the example of the Control Freak. This is the Amazon description of this item before I bought it:

Condition: Used - Acceptable - Large cosmetic imperfection(s) on top, front or sides of item. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

You would think this item was totally hosed up, right? And the price definitely reflects that. But these cosmetic imperfections are just to the outer box, leaving the product itself completely new in box perfect.

Anyways happy friday and have a great weekend yall. Remember, if you want to get the best deals on the most highly sought after kitchen tech, Camel Camel Camel is the key! Price alerts are your friend.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 16, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've gotten stainless cookware from warehouse deals and it's definitely the type of thing I would buy from there without worrying about it because it's going to be obvious if it was used, it's incredibly unlikely to have subtle defects that the initial purchaser would have somehow noticed, and it's not likely to have been swapped out for a known bad or counterfeit one.

I would personally not buy something like a kitchenaid mixer from warehouse deals, because I'd feel safer buying a refurb one from kitchenaid's site, but if it's something that's ridiculously cheaper I guess there's no harm in buying it and returning it if there's a problem.

Stuff like clothing that's very likely to have been returned just because it didn't fit or something is also likely to be fine, or something where someone would have bought it and realized they didn't like the way it looked or that they had no idea how to use it.

I got some bearings before that clearly had been deliberately purchased, carefully swapped out with new but crappier bearings, and returned which is why I recommend at least some caution.

I would definitely not buy something like an ssd drive or power supply where it's very possible that someone used it for a week and realized it had subtle defects before returning it. Also, some product categories like electronics tend not to be discounted enough, so it's actually cheaper to just wait for the product to go on sale normally instead anyway, but if it's 30-50% off that makes more sense.

I also highly doubt the amazon employees actually seriously test whether the products work so much as just spending 5 seconds looking at whether they look new.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 16, 2022

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Haha, fair points.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Most normal Amazon warehouse customer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One time I bought a kitchen aid mixer from Amazon and when I opened the box a guy popped out of it and punched me in the face

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
What is a good microwave with a turn table? I basically just use it to defrost bacon from the freezer but my spouse when lazy cooks his microwavable crap when neither of us feel like cooking. Right now it says it's 730w but since it is so old it's probably more like 200w.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Get a tall thin container

The limiting factor on sous vide sticks is the height of the water, not the width of the water

mystes posted:

You can sous vide very easily in an 8qt container and even more easily in a 12qt container. If this is significantly affecting your daily water use you must have a composting toilet and shower once a week or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We’re worried about using a gallon or two of water to cook with?

mystes posted:

I mean after society collapses sous vide may not be great but getting the electricity and sous vide bags may be an issue even before the water.

Assuming you don’t use a composting toilet, shut the water off on your toilet after you finish cooking and after you flush next use the Sous vide water to fill the upper toilet tank. That should take care of 1.6 gallons of it.

Jesus christ calm down. I was saying the problem with the Anova is that it needs a fuckton of water. The Joule does not have this problem. You can sous vide with the Joule in any pot with far less water, which is why I own and recommend one

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Don't buy devices that require an app. IoT is a plague

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nah the Joule is fine with an app

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't buy devices that require an app.
So much for my bloomin onion maker

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Don't buy devices that require an app. IoT is a plague

I normally agree, but the Joule app is loving dope.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t mind iot devices but I won’t get something that requires an app for basic functionality.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

I don’t mind iot devices but I won’t get something that requires an app for basic functionality.

Yeah, I still prefer my Anovas for this reason, even though the form factor (aside from the lack of screen) on the Joule is better. If they made a Joule the same size with maybe a simple screen on top that didn't require the app to do a simple cook, I would buy it to replace my original and BT Anovas.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Having to use an app indeed sucks but the thing is that everything else is massively better on the Joule. It heats faster, it needs less water, it's easier to use it with any pot, etc. It's all enough to make the trouble of using the app worth it...plus the app itself is actually pretty great. The recipes are dope and the suggested times / temps rarely fail.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's a minor thing, but them pairing the doneness gifs with the temperature makes it easy to show guests who otherwise don't know what their preferred doneness of chicken is. Most people think "until the juices run clear" or something.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

It's a minor thing, but them pairing the doneness gifs with the temperature makes it easy to show guests who otherwise don't know what their preferred doneness of chicken is. Most people think "until the juices run clear" or something.
It's especially useful for pork because of differing levels of comfort with different levels of pink (rational or not.) I can just show my guests the different options and ask what do you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nunsexmonkrock posted:

What is a good microwave with a turn table? I basically just use it to defrost bacon from the freezer but my spouse when lazy cooks his microwavable crap when neither of us feel like cooking. Right now it says it's 730w but since it is so old it's probably more like 200w.

I recently replaced a microwave, the brand I landed on was Panasonic. Costco was selling the 800W ones for a very good price, but I don't know if they've rotated out of stock or not, I wanted a larger one to match the one I had previously so I had to buy at Best Buy with slightly worse pricing.