Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Just return it?

I didn't buy it, like, yesterday. I probably had it for over a month before even opening it. Like I said, I don't use much plastic wrap.

While I am wasting Jeffrey's ones and zeros complaining about kitchen wrap, Great Value unbleached parchment paper is another "get something else next time" purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have these Norpro skewers and they're decent but stuff will still spin on them sometimes. I'd prefer a middle ground between these and the really broad kofta-style skewers, but they're serviceable.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My wife has a set of those ceramic jars with hinged lids, and the smallest two (probably 1/4C and 1/2C respectively) were too small to be of any other use. I use them for sea salt and kosher salt, respectively.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Anyone have experience with aftermarket accessories for Kitchenaid mixers? We have a 10 year old 6qt Professional with a dough hook and beater made from some sort of uncoated sintered aluminum. I'd like to get something stainless and dishwasher safe.

As far as I can tell, KA doesn't make stainless replacements for the 6qt. Amazon has a brand called qAp that seems decent but I haven't looked very hard yet. Lots of options from companies with names like Gdrtwwh and aikeec which don't instill me with a ton of confidence.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yeah, mine (also from 2011-2012ish) is uncoated. I hardly use it currently, but I want to start making pizza at home. The qAp stuff seems well regarded, and the dough hook apparently has an Amazon flash deal coming, so I'll check it out.

Also, while I get that the lead stuff going around is mostly just one unqualified mommy blogger with an expensive toy, KitchenAid's response is basically "yeah the metal can have some impurities but the coating on our current accessories is safe." That's great news for the folks with coated accessories, but um, say that part about the metal again?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Fart Car '97 posted:

I've got the Compact Convection and it's excellent. I only turn my oven on for pizza and large batches and I resent it every time I have to turn it on because it just sucks poo poo compared to the breville

This is on sale for $150 on Amazon right now, FYI

Ordered one because I just moved to a new house with a huge double oven that is the exact opposite of what I need 80% of the time (although finally having a double oven will make holiday entertaining sweet as hell though)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MandoLINE. With an "E" at the end!

All of y'all sound like you're talking about the stringed instrument! Which is the one without!

Also, Benriner.

You laugh, but my mandolin makes 5 slices with each pass!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I watched one video of someone popping a lawn bubble on YouTube and immediately ended up with blister/zit popping videos in my feed

Be careful is all I'm sayin'

FaradayCage posted:

What are our thoughts on pepper grinders?

I bought a Unicorn Magnum back when it was all the hotness and have liked it enough that I haven't bothered looking into replacing it. Not pretty but it's efficient and just works :shrug:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nettle Soup posted:

But you could always go for one of the MANLY and MASCULINE and EXPENSIVE ones. I think pepper grinders are inherently phallic and that breaks something inside men's brains.

This is why the Unicorn Magnum is so great - it's just a long, thick, plastic cylinder with a good bit of heft. You wrap one hand around the base and, with a firm but flexible grasp, twist the head. You can power through a huge load with very little effort. Adorn it with a pair of truck balls for extra manliness.

Doom Rooster posted:

Unicorn put in a new, improved type of burr set into the magnum in the last few years. Our old one got lost in the last move some how, so replaced with a new one.

It still puts out the same massive amount, but the grind is insanely consistent, and can go much finer. It’s amazing.

That's actually good to know. Mine is actually the mini (pretend I made the obvious jokes here too), and refilling it can actually be mildly annoying, my only complaint, really. I guess I might spring for the full size sooner rather than later.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The Penzey's guy is a little odd, but his heart is in the right place. Seems like it's usually the other way around, so in that sense it's a nice change of pace.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That owns

They poo poo all over "Columbus Day" a few years ago and that got a lot of terrible people super duper mad

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mystes posted:

I already made essentially that joke :colbert:

Have you two considered just going Dutch?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
First time cooking rice at the new house - even with the burner on the lowest setting my little pot kept boiling over. It was only a cup of rice and I couldn't get it down to anything lower than what I'd call a heavy simmer or quasi-boil.

I guess I need a heat diffuser. Do I just get a cast iron one or are there advantages to the million other kinds (perforated steel, enameled steel, etc)?

It's a gas stove so induction compatibility would be nice (if I pick up a plug-in induction cooker later) but it's not exactly make or break.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have an 8qt instant pot that I use for cooking large batches of rice but sometimes fishing a large gizmo out of a cabinet is more than I want to deal with for a quick pot of rice. I'm not going to say I haven't considered a rice cooker, but I think my wife and I are both resistant to accumulating yet another countertop appliance.

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd say get the induction now. Having easy low temp control is so nice, and reducing fumes is a nice benefit.

that's... a great idea and something I think we would both agree on

e: hold on, reducing fumes sounds WOKE, nice try commie :bahgawd:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 15, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Borsche69 posted:

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no he cant!!!!! alton brown said NO unitaskers.... NO!!!!!

See, I was looking at those and wondering if I could use them to weigh down bacon in the oven (I had a batch curl up real bad tonight). Alton forced his vegetable steamers to be "multitaskers" by making that terrible chicken wing tower steamer so he has done worse.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I finally gave in and bought insulated BBQ gloves (disposable nitrile gloves with a reusable cotton liner) and frankly I wish I had done it ages ago. They're just better for shredding, moving 10lb hunks of greasy 200F meat, everything that isn't hot metal really.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Borsche69 posted:

a buddy of mine swears by that method although i dont see any reason to try it when the baking powder + leave uncovered overnight in the fridge seems to work perfectly with absolutely no effort

If he has literally gone out and built a tower steamer out of baskets and hardware store parts, I would argue he has a unitasker anyways :v:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I just had to GIS Manchego cheese to see if it somehow looks different than I remember (it doesn't) :wtc:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

smackfu posted:

My favorite silicon spatula broke in half the other day. Does anyone have a recommendation? All the ones on Amazon are like five packs of “silicon cooking tools” for $10.

I'll just second the Thermoworks silicone stuff, it's great and they generally advertise it as good up to 600F. Only downside is shipping, so I tend to pick them up opportunistically when I make a bigger purchase.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've had my basic Foodsaver since 2007 or so and never once needed a jar attachment.

Check the hot sauce thread - some goons there use vacuum sealers for fermentation. They do it in bags with extra headspace, not jars. If you're fermenting in a jar, you need a vent (i.e. https://a.co/d/afJFupT), not a vacuum seal.

You definitely can't do proper canning with those jar attachments.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use my Oxo kitchen scissors for cutting everything from plastic wrapping to chicken spines (when I'm too lazy to dig out the poultry shears). They have tiny "teeth" that keep stuff from slipping out. Granted I am not a pastry person so I have no idea of the specific challenges related to piping bags.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad makes his sauerkrauts using some old-school equipment one of my aunts gave him and then keeps it in mason jars, but it sounds like a vacuum sealer wouldn't extend the shelf life of that kind of stuff even then.

You can ferment in vac sealed bags (as long as you keep an eye on them). The benefit is that you don't need to submerge everything in liquid. Not so much shelf life. Once it's done, you gotta open it.

The main issue with fermentation in a sealed vessel is pressure from the CO2 released by the yeast. You can see if a bag is swollen up like a balloon. With a jar, you don't know until it explodes. That's why pickling lids for jars have some sort of airlock that can vent excess gas, which of course rules out also drawing a vacuum.

Also, it wouldn't really make the process work any better because you would still probably have to submerge everything in liquid. I dunno what kind of PSI drop a food saver can manage in a jar, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near a hard vacuum.

I. M. Gei posted:

What Food Saver model would y'all recommend for general bag sealing and other fun poo poo?

I would say make sure it can handle 11" bags, has a manual seal feature, and if you think you might want to use the jar attachment, a hose port. They all kinda work about the same otherwise until you get into vac chamber territory.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I had a Dot with a loose probe jack and they accused me of dropping it, although they did eventually agree to send a replacement (which never arrived).

YMMV I guess, I still buy their stuff and have never had another problem with anything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
We have a mix of Snapware, which seals great until the lids fail at the "hinge," and these old Ziploc brand containers which have been bulletproof as long as you don't need a tight seal. Wonder if they're discontinued though - ours are probably going on 10 years old.

We have a few Anchor that have been good too, although we only have some round ones.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Re: cats, I have "owned" two cats who gave zero shits about foil (a not insignificant portion of the total number of cats I have served had)

What did work was a product called Ssscat, basically an air duster with a motion sensor on top. It's pricey but more effective and less annoying than a screeching alarm.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Shooting Blanks posted:

My only issue with Diamond Crystal salt is that nobody in Houston seems to stock it. For all that people rave about it, it sure is difficult to get - and I'd feel weird ordering salt of Amazon.

HEB and Central Market both carry it pretty reliably. It's definitely easier to find Morton's but check your local Butt-related grocery store

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the Kitchenaid mini prep ($50?) and a full size (14 cup) Cuisinart.

For the tasks you mentioned, for my family of 3, I use the mini prep almost exclusively. The big one only comes out when I really truly need the size or a special blade (eg shredding multiple blocks of cheese for a holiday-sized mac and cheese)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I had a Cosori and liked it fine. The square basket was nice compared to the round one on my parents' Phillips.

I replaced it with a Breville mini convection oven and wish I had gotten the full sized one (despite not really having room for it) so that I could use my quarter sheet pans. The convection is nice, but it's noticeably less... convect-y... than the air fryer. I haven't made wings with it but probably will soon. For science. And for stuffing my face.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I like the ones with two long slots rather than four short ones. I've had an Oster for years, and it looks like they still make it.

It's not spectacular or anything, but it toasts reliably and that format was really hard to find at the time.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I will confess that the floating timer over each pot kinda tickled my inner cyber-future-obsessed nerd

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
It looks really aerodynamic. They could call it the Juice Aero.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Our current rental has a double oven (full-size built-in, non-convection), and I also have a mini convection toaster oven. Most of the time that I'm bringing the lower oven into play, it's for something that's just a bit too big for the toaster oven, which can't quite fit a quarter sheet pan.

When we buy a house, my vote for the appliance budget will be one full-size oven and a larger toaster oven, both with convection.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Aramoro posted:

How often do you guys power go out? Feels like a really niche concern but do you just have a really unstable grid in your area or something?

*laughs in Texan*

Day to day my power is pretty reliable but I have lived through week-long outages (hurricanes, lovely un-winterized grid, etc) enough times to know that it sucks if you're not prepared. Although in my case I just keep a propane camp stove in the garage.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is America

Don't catch you slippin' now

Blow up that kitchen now

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BrianBoitano posted:

I use the Cuisinart for $73 daily and no issues. https://a.co/d/c0JT0u3

I use this as well. The temperature control seems accurate enough, and the water contact surfaces are mostly stainless, other than a plastic window to show the water level.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I use an Echo because I can set timers hands-free and it can play music too

But if I need to see the numbers I either use my phone or a KitchenAid 3-stack that we've had for eons. The latter is kind of a pain because you have to re-select the appropriate timer if you haven’t touched it in a while.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
That has the same problem of not having a continuous infeed. Gotta dump and reload to do the next chop. No, what you need is one of these.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'd rate Cosori a little higher than random Amazon brands, their stuff seems to be reasonably well regarded. I had a Cosori air fryer and I thought it was better thought-out in terms of design than most of the name brands it was up against at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have Snapware and don't like them because the (plastic) lids fail at the "hinge" (which is just a bendy plastic bit). My favorite are some Ziploc branded with green lids, but last I checked, they were discontinued :rip: