Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

It seems strange to me that bathroom fans are nearly ubiquitous in homes built within the last few decades yet externally vented range hoods seem far less common than recirculating types. Is this because they require so much more cfm or are people only doing code minimums?

I’ve seen more of them in modern builds where the big stainless hood is an aesthetic feature. Makes me wonder if that’s just part of the trend to make residential kitchens more prosumer level or if people are actually caring about indoor air quality more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A lot of those old bathroom fans just vented into the attic. And codes have changed so it all needs to be externally vented now.
My last house had it just run into the attic, but it was a tiny ranch with massive open gables on each end and a whole house attic fan. Seems like a recipe for mold unless it was set up kinda like that.

I'm in the process of replacing my recirc style range hood with an externally vented one using a roof mounted blower. I wanted a contractor to do the 10" ducting and cold air make up and could not get a single place to call me back. Finally went in person to one place and they admitted that it's just a poo poo job they don't really make any money off of and they really just do them as a favor to builders in new construction. Way more hassle than I would have imagined and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't cook with really high heat a lot would go to all the trouble and expense I've had to.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Empty Sandwich posted:

ventilation:

my only real option would be to vent it directly into my attic, which seems odd to do. is there some kind of grease-capture system that could be put on the other end, or what do people end up doing? I know my childhood house just had an open greasy pipe into the attic.

alternatively, is there any recirculation system that actually does anything at all?

I deep-fry stuff occasionally and my whole house ends up smelling like chicken grease.
If you can get into the attic should you be able to punch through the roof or siding to get it outside?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That’s a more complicated thing because you have to properly seal it on the outside which can be a pain with siding and/or shingles.
Well sure, and if you aren’t capable of it then you should hire it out. But what you should definitely not do is continually pump hot deep fry air into your attic.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have that pan and not having internally exposed rivets is a revelation.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

After saying it was the top priority for the last two years after buying my house, I finally ran gas pipe and installed a dual fuel oven. This is the first convection oven I’ve had but I have used them in the past. This one has a “no preheat air fry” setting that I’m not sure what to do with. I have a tube style deep fryer and don’t care about fat intake so approximating deep fried goods does not interest me. From what I can tell it’s just a high velocity convention oven with a stupid name. But that seems like a process that may be awesome on lean game meats or small veg like green beans or asparagus. Any suggestions for things where this process actually outperforms a more commonplace one?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

FaradayCage posted:

One thing I've never been able to bring myself to buy is a roaster:

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/13-x-16-inch-large-roaster-with-rack-stainless-steel-second-quality-1.html

The only thing I would really use it for is roasting a chicken and I do that maybe three times a year.

But I just make a bed of carrots, onions, celery, etc in my cast iron and then place the chicken on top of that for roasting.

I don't have a lot of space for equipment. Can someone confirm that I'm doing the right thing? So many recipes reference a roaster but maybe it's easier to assume people have one of those rather than a cast iron?
I pieced together basically everything I’d ever need for my kitchen out of All-Clad sales over a decade ago but was never able to justify a roaster. Really the only place it would really excel over a cheap one is when making gravy out of drippings over multiple burners on thanksgiving. Every All-Clad stainless pan produces an absolutely astonishing amount of fond. However, that’s once a year and a hand me down non-stick one is still holding up.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a bad rear end piece of equipment that’s made in America and guaranteed forever, but don’t suffer any delusions that it’s going to roast a bird noticeably better than a cheapo roaster. Honestly a cast enameled dutch oven would probably be even better for a chicken.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

That speech deprived me the joys of a garlic press for years.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just picked up a GE duel fuel (P2S930YPFS) a few months ago and I’m completely in love with it. It’s got over 60k BTUs at the burners, center griddle/grill with elongated burner, European convection, tons of extra cook modes like proofing and probe temp cooking, phone connectivity for timer alerts and remote preheat. I’d change nothing about it but it puts out a LOT of heat so you really are going to need a kick rear end externally vented hood for anything with high power burners.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The exterior is the part that's exposed. The interior is stainless and unmarred. I'm assuming the pot is safe, but I don't know if there's an issue with exposing the raw aluminum to my gas range. Aluminum vapors?
No, it’s fine.

However All Clad says their hard coat anodize is dishwasher safe and is guaranteed forever so call them up and they should take care of you.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

This has been my absolute favorite scale I've owned and I've had it maybe 8 years now. It's quite accurate too and can do an as & of total weighted measure too.

Buy this scale. I did based off this thread’s recommendations and it’s easily the best I’ve ever owned.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If the ducting goes outdoors no need for a charcoal filter, they are just used to remove odor. As stated though you should have some kind of mesh or baffle for oils to accumulate on no matter what. The damper flap is to keep outside air from flowing into the kitchen when the fan isn’t running.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

if you’re not willing to run a phase generator at your house you obviously don’t care about wok hei and I don’t even know what you’re doing in this thread tbh

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I hardly ever find myself needing to drain fat or liquid off a pan (don’t cook with a lot of ground meats I guess?) but when I do I use tongs and a paper towel. Just drop the oily paper towel in a bowl next to the stove and keep on cooking.
I think it has to do with temperature too. I cook with higher heat than most other people I’ve seen cook and I don’t recall ever having to drain anything off. When I do cook ground meat I’m trying to brown it, not just take the pink out. This evaporates any liquids very quickly and is above the smoke point of most animal fats so I think most of the excess turns to smoke and gets exhausted.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I always just buy the unbranded ones from GFS or whatever your local restaurant supply shop is. No hard to clean logos and I’ve done unspeakable things to them and never had them flex.

We’ve also ordered shitloads of half and full no-brand versions from Webstaurant store for non-food use at my work and they stand up to industrial abuse very well too.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

nwin posted:

Vacuum sealer recommendations?
If you want to use any liquid, that will require a chamber vac. Unfortunately they are pretty bulky by their nature so I don’t think you’ll find one that’s going to put away and taken out easily. I haven’t used the Anova, or any piston operated one, but the size and price take dead aim at the home user market. Once they start making their way into residential kitchens and people realize what they’re capable of I think that market will probably expand quite a bit.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’ve been using Avocado as my AP oil for a while now and I love it. I get the big jugs from Costco and fill smaller ones to keep by the stove and grill.

I do keep some nice EVOO around for dressing salads, bread and pizza. Peanut oil in my outdoor fryer and coconut oil for popcorn. Other than those the Avocado works for everything I’ve tried, performing as well or better than any of my previous favorites.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If you like movie theatre style this is the recipe I’ve perfected over hundreds of batches:

1/4 cup coconut oil (orange tinted with beta carotene for bonus points)
A heaping teaspoon of Flavacol
6oz P-corn

In a large sauté pad with domed lid heat over highest gas flame you have, agitating constantly. When the first kernel pops crack the lid a tiny amount to release steam, keep high flame until popping stops. Much harder with electric so you’ll have to play with it but this method produces perfect pops every time with no burning and minimal old maids.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 10, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

meefistopheles posted:

I'm working on putting together a whole new kitchen and I need a little advice. Are there any must have features for either an induction cooktop
If it is anyway possible a powerful externally vented hood exhaust is the most important feature after running water and electricity.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The one he mentions is taking preorders for just the pedal adaptor that you can add to your existing sink they are under $700.

https://www.principlefaucets.com/step

Edit: 20% off if you preorder, expected to ship next month. I’m gonna grab one, I’ll report back in a few weeks.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 20, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Get a sous vide that is water proof. I got the old kickstarter Anovas and it’s annoying that I have to be careful not to get any of their holes wet

I burned through two of those before getting a Joule. The first one was my fault. I was pre-grill cooking a shitload of unbagged brats for a party and was using beer as the circulation liquid. It was out of warranty but the guy I talked to was a gearhead cook and thought it was a worthy enough death for the thing that he replaced it anyway. The second one just had the impeller die after a year or two.

The Joule has a much better circulation method and clamping system. I’m pretty happy with it despite the requisit IoT operation. The app is really nice and it connects perfectly every time but I still hate not having a manual option.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

I was looking at a new gas range and noticed they have some safety features that require electricity, and therefore can't be manually lit when the power is out. Is this a new regulation? Or is there a brand that still works this way?

I know not all GE models require that. I bought a P2S930YPFS a couple of years ago and have used it during power outages.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I have a Fissler and love it. Super thick clad bottom which is great for hard searing things before going under pressure. Very easy to use and clean lid, hits 15psi no problem too which electric ones won’t.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Single serve yogurt jars into a water bath is the truth for breakfast meal prep. I use a sous vide circulator then stick them in the fridge. Dump in some fruit and granola then out the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Fissler has a pop up knob with two white bands on it. The second one is 15psi and it always is raised to that level before it begins to vent. What pressure were you hoping to achieve?