Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think so. Some have automatic cycles but I’ve never felt like I needed handholding when using a blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The biggest decision you have to make with a Vitamix is whether you want a skinny jar or fat jar (skinny is easier to blend small quantities, fat fits under some cabinets the skinny won’t)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This video is required watching for blender buyers whose budget is more than $50 https://youtu.be/KtVWtKn0_D4

It's a step change between normal blender and Ninja, then a big step change between Ninja and Vitamix. If you want nut butter it's vitamix or nothing. The video spends a lot of time on chia seeds but that's a good stand in for "some foods are just hard to blend for everything except vitamix & blendtec"

E: ninja doesn't spin fast, has 3 rows of blades, so it's good for mixing and incorporating but not as much for pureeing to a smooth consistency.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 6, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I have an Oster blender. It's quite sturdy. There is a toggle switch on the front. If I switch the toggle up, it turns on. If I press it down, it runs at a slightly higher speed for as long as I hold the toggle down. I may have the directions reversed, but otherwise it is needs-suiting.

https://www.oster.com/blenders-juic...AP_2107238.html

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

This video is required watching for blender buyers whose budget is more than $50 https://youtu.be/KtVWtKn0_D4

It's a step change between normal blender and Ninja, then a big step change between Ninja and Vitamix. If you want nut butter it's vitamix or nothing. The video spends a lot of time on chia seeds but that's a good stand in for "some foods are just hard to blend for everything except vitamix & blendtec"

E: ninja doesn't spin fast, has 3 rows of blades, so it's good for mixing and incorporating but not as much for pureeing to a smooth consistency.
A cuisinart food processor can make nut butter just fine for what it's worth

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The “single serving” smoothie jar on my Ninja Professional does a better job than Vitamix or Blendtec. Everything that’s put in there gets absolutely obliterated. I mostly use it to grind spices, but occasionally am willing to do multiple batches for a smooth soup. It would be a killer dedicated smoothie machine if you don’t want to go bigger than 16oz at a time.

The Ninja blender itself does a pretty good job, with the notable exception of anything actually really thick like Hummus that can’t vortex in the Vitamix. It’s the best hummus maker I have found. The arrangement of the blades up the shaft allows it to vortex just about anything. The lid on my jar broke though, rendering it unusable nearly a year ago and I have not replaced it, so that should tell you something.

The food processor jar is… not good.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
What about hand blenders? Are there any that are worthwhile?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Cheeks posted:

What about hand blenders? Are there any that are worthwhile?
Immersion blenders are really good for certain things but they don't produce as smooth/even a result and they don't have the power to replace normal blenders for a lot of stuff.

I wouldn't recommend an immersion blender if smoothies are the main thing you're interested in, and in general I don't even really think them as a replacement for a normal blender so much as something that's nice to have in addition to it for certain applications (but not essential).

They're really convenient if you want to blend some sort of sauce in a mason jar or blend a pot of soup in one go without getting your real blender dirty and the result doesn't have to be perfect.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 6, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a particular kitchen scale they like? We have this one which is fine but nothing fancy and the buttons are annoying. They are sealed so crud doesn’t get into them but miss a lot of touches.

Greater Goods Gray Food Scale
https://a.co/d/bmwAiYW

This has been my absolute favorite scale I've owned and I've had it maybe 8 years now. It's quite accurate too and can do an as % of total weighted measure too.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend the best water filter pitcher?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend the best water filter pitcher?

I would actually recommend getting your municipal water tested and then buying a filter customized toward offsetting the results from that. this is the one I use though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

Immersion blenders are really good for certain things but they don't produce as smooth/even a result and they don't have the power to replace normal blenders for a lot of stuff.

I wouldn't recommend an immersion blender if smoothies are the main thing you're interested in, and in general I don't even really think them as a replacement for a normal blender so much as something that's nice to have in addition to it for certain applications (but not essential).

They're really convenient if you want to blend some sort of sauce in a mason jar or blend a pot of soup in one go without getting your real blender dirty and the result doesn't have to be perfect.

This, 100%. Mine is flawless at mayo / hollandaise, and it has a whisk attachment for whipping egg whites or cream, mixing matcha or protein powder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

I would actually recommend getting your municipal water tested and then buying a filter customized toward offsetting the results from that. this is the one I use though

I already have a sink filter but it’s busted so I’m asking for a pitcher filter recommendation while I fix it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Mero Mero posted:

This has been my absolute favorite scale I've owned and I've had it maybe 8 years now. It's quite accurate too and can do an as & of total weighted measure too.

Same and I love it.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

This has been my absolute favorite scale I've owned and I've had it maybe 8 years now. It's quite accurate too and can do an as & of total weighted measure too.

Buy this scale. I did based off this thread’s recommendations and it’s easily the best I’ve ever owned.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

Wait, hold on a second, you want to drink a canned tuna smoothie?
We called them "tuna coladas" back in the day.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been looking at air fryer/toaster ovens, and I'm trying to decide between the Breville Joule and the Cuisinart TOA 95. Does anyone know how they compare with one another?

My main concern with the Cuisinart is that its convention fan apparently can't be turned off when baking or toasting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What’s the ideal size for a meal prep container?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Depends how hungry you are and what you're cooking. My preferred approach is just to keep stuff separate and portion it out when I eat the meal, though. That way you don't need special meal prep containers, just normal containers for each of the things you prepare.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Depends how hungry you are and what you're cooking. My preferred approach is just to keep stuff separate and portion it out when I eat the meal, though. That way you don't need special meal prep containers, just normal containers for each of the things you prepare.

And for this just use delitainers because they're cheap, have interchangeable lids, and stack neatly.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

seconding delitainers

https://www.amazon.com/Delitainer-Deli-Food-Containers-Lids/dp/B004Q1B3GE

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

🦁Do not cite the delitainers to me, witch! I was there when the delitainers were first recommended!

I’ve been using delitainers for a decade now, just curious what meal prepping is like

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve been using delitainers for a decade now, just curious what meal prepping is like

dunno why you called me a witch but i'm sorry i didn't get specific

The small ones for a small amount of prepared food; medium size for a moderate amount of food; full quart for a quart of food which is alot. Put different food in a different container. When you want to eat the food, take out the containers and mix/cook if appropriate.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 9, 2023

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

IKEA has a great set of glass tupperwares, I think it’s called the “Everyday 360” (or 365 or something). Glass bowls/bottoms of different sizes/shapes and a plastic locking lid w removable silicone gaskets, all for like $5 or less per set. I use them for my wife and I for meal prep, etc. and it’s working well imo. I like the deli tainer idea, but it just seems like it leads to introducing a lot of plastic into an already questionable recycling system

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

IKEA has a great set of glass tupperwares, I think it’s called the “Everyday 360” (or 365 or something). Glass bowls/bottoms of different sizes/shapes and a plastic locking lid w removable silicone gaskets, all for like $5 or less per set. I use them for my wife and I for meal prep, etc. and it’s working well imo. I like the deli tainer idea, but it just seems like it leads to introducing a lot of plastic into an already questionable recycling system

I also use these and find them pretty good. The silicon part comes out too easily imo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

I use glass tupperware-style things too. I try not to microwave the plastic lids, on the theory that 1) it'll probably help prolong the plastic life and 2) it'll maybe introduce less plastic into my already questionable system

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

parthenocarpy posted:

dunno why you called me a witch but i'm sorry i didn't get specific

The small ones for a small amount of prepared food; medium size for a moderate amount of food; full quart for a quart of food which is alot. Put different food in a different container. When you want to eat the food, take out the containers and mix/cook if appropriate.

It was a The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe joke, not actually calling anyone here a witch

I’ve been doing what you described for a decade, just wanted to try meal prepping out of curiosity

Also nice to make food for friends in meal prep containers

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I often eat directly out of my food prep containers after microwaving them, so the glsss ones are really way nicer for this purpose.

I sometimes even put the whole glass thing into an oven, which you obviously can’t do with plastic.

Also in my experience the plastic sometimes get stained by stuff like pasta or curry and they’re often not dishwasher safe. I’d do plastic only if you plan on bringing the food out, since glass is too heavy for portable use.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Vegetable posted:

I often eat directly out of my food prep containers after microwaving them, so the glsss ones are really way nicer for this purpose.

I sometimes even put the whole glass thing into an oven, which you obviously can’t do with plastic.

Also in my experience the plastic sometimes get stained by stuff like pasta or curry and they’re often not dishwasher safe. I’d do plastic only if you plan on bringing the food out, since glass is too heavy for portable use.

I read if you rinse the container with cold water it prevents staining. This was a hack though so it’s of doubtful veracity.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
it's the fats in food in particular that stains plastics. Don't get it on your plastics, and they will go a lot longer.

I currently have glass tupperware with plastic lids, but even I am seeking to decrease the amount of plastics in my life and would just as soon go for some steel ones if I could unload what I have to a good home.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 10, 2023

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I hate cooking rice in a pan, so looking at a rice cooker. There’s only 2 of us, is a 2.5 cup enough or should I go bigger? I’m in the UK so the options are a bit more limited and the usual recommendations don’t seem to apply.

Or should I just use an Instant Pot or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IMO, if you don't have a pressure cooker and can only have one, I'd get an IP. There's just a lot of neat things you can do with it and it makes pretty good rice.

If you're strictly looking to make rice, rice makers do a better job and are more convenient to use for rice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I hate cooking rice in a pan, so looking at a rice cooker. There’s only 2 of us, is a 2.5 cup enough or should I go bigger? I’m in the UK so the options are a bit more limited and the usual recommendations don’t seem to apply.

Is that 2.5 cups before or after cooking? When I cook rice for my family of four, two imperial cups of pre-cooked rice makes more than enough for all of us to eat plus leftovers. I know the "cups" on the plastic measuring cups that come with rice cookers are smaller for whatever reason, but 2.5 of those should still be plenty if it's just two of you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’ve been using an instant pot for the last two years, for both long and short grain. Rinse rice, drain, then put equal parts rice and water in, cook high for 10 mins, then rest for 10 minutes

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I have a 3 cup Zoji that makes more than enough for two people.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A rice cup is exactly 3/4 of a measuring cup

mystes
May 31, 2006

where exactly means approximately

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Google says rice will expand 3x when cooked, more if it’s brown rice

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A 2.5 cup cooker should give you close to 4 cups of cooked rice which in most two person households should be plenty for dinner and then some leftover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

where exactly means approximately

Oh poo poo you’re right, forgot imperial cups are different from international