Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
DARPADad consider doing the Alton Brown "turkey triangle" method of just making a breast plate out of aluminum foil in order to deflect some of the radiant energy from the oven. Keep probing the light and dark meat and adjust, it shouldn't be that fussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There used to be a baller as gently caress cutting board website that seemed to specialize in that and had a really simple website like cutting boards dot com (which doesn't seem like it) but maybe I'm confusing them with pizzastone.com. Anyone know where I'm talking about?

This is for a nice gift or else yeah I'd just go get the Ikea or whatever.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:razz: I guess it was this one and they just spiffied their web site.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that the (former CI favorite) Whynter SNO ice cream maker is discontinued, what is the top self-refrigerating maker on the market?

(Before anyone says Liquid N2 + VitaMix, this one isn't for me)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

How do we feel about Big Green Eggs? Assume that it fits my budget, and that I want to grill/roast more than I want to smoke, but I still want to be able to smoke decently.

They are great, you won't regret it. You can obviously geek & kit out as much as you want. I have an XL and augmented it with a lot of stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Although it seems like they have some goofy new CMS that killed my links on their site I purchased:
  • XL Woo2 Adjustable Rig Combo (comes with 17.5" round stone). The Woo brings the grill up an inch or two to the felt line and in lieu of the BGE-brand plate setter, lets me drop in the round stone for indirect cooking. The Adjustable rig lets me go from just the one grill level to up to 3 levels for smoking lots of stuff (like 6 racks of lying-down ribs).
  • 18" Drip Pan SS Round - XL, 19". Can use this to cover the stone, but I generally just foil it for shorter cooks.
  • Their ash tool. (TEX-AT) I'm sure the BGE ash tool would be fine if your dealer throws it in
  • 19" Half Round Ceramic Stone (9.5"x19") - XL. I use this to force a direct and indirect side of the grill for cooking steaks. Some people use the reverse sear (cook low until done, take meat off, open up the vents and put meat back on to sear & finish).
  • BBQ Guru ceramic adaptor. This is an aparatus for controlling airflow with a damper for really long cooks.

The ceramic adaptor you can either buy one of the turnkey temperature controllers or use forums user Capn Bry's excellent Heatermeter and a remote damper from the fine folks at TVWBB's forums to do set-and-forget BBQ. I use the Roto damper for long cooks. The former you to reverse proxy your meat progress so you can embed your meat progress into your BBQ invites for your guests:

That XL cooks 20 hours without me really futzing with it at all after I close the lid the first time.

More info in the smoking thread

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

bongwizzard posted:

I want a bench top citrus juicer. I want a manual one that can do lime/oranges/grapefruits. Our margarita consumption levels rules out the little hand held ones. I want something that will last the rest of my life and will break my foot if I drop it on it. I am slightly aroused by rack and pinion gearing. Money isn't really an issue, but I would rather pay $100 then $400, if I can get a boss-rear end juicer for that little.

Every time I go to a bar that does a good Crush I ask the bartender about their juicer, but so far I have never found one that is recommended.

Looks like Ultimate Mango recommended the one I would. The one off Restaurant Depot's site is $105 today but no prime shipping (and it's not that sexy black).

e: now I see the white one is available and cheaper from AMZN so just get that one!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Do I need a food mill? I'm trying to do this pizza sauce recipe which takes 1 can of whole ground 6-in-1 tomatoes strained through the small holes and a couple pints of grape tomatoes strained through medium holes. Presumably to keep all the seeds out?

I'm just wary of acquiring and storing a bulky pot-like device when I can get high-end blenders, food processors, or sieves that are probably more versatile. I'm going to try the recipe this weekend without, I'm just wondering what I am missing or if there are any other things that they are good for.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Food mills are super useful, for instance there is noting that makes mashed potatoes as well as a food mill.

IIRC the OXO one is supposed to be very good for the price.

I thought about that, but how does it perform to a ricer? My household really only makes mashed potatoes like 2x a year and already am satisfied with the ricer texture. Is there anything else?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have the older Whynter that that one replaces and it owns bones. Go directly from cooked custard base to churn & chill. And repeat all day long!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a benchtop meat grinder? I hate my KitchenAid so would prefer a hand-crank and can easily make 15-20lbs of sausage at a time. I found this Weston one but the reviews have me concerned about durability.

Bonus points if there's a sausage stuffer recommendation as well.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Canuck-Errant posted:

Wait, is the one you have the KitchenAid one that goes on a mixer? Because you can get a similar one made out of stainless steel that works a lot better.

I just meant I don't like using my mixer in general. I'd like to have a hand-cranked meat grinder and hand-powered stuffer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

door Door door posted:

The artisan is great, and I've never had a problem with the tilt on the 25 year old mixer I got when my parents got a new one. My mom says she actually preferred the tilt to the lowering on the larger mixer.

I will trade with your mother straight up

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spend the extra $20 to get the motion wake up and AA battery compatibility.

I like the IR thermometer but it's useless for a grill. Mine gets the most use for my griddle and making sure its temp is good for stuff.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This Master Pro is good. Bakery used one at my old hotel.

Same brand, cheaper. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you're gonna airbrush cakes, you want all the bells and whistles.

e: The Cake Boss guy uses a $900 Iwata model, no way he'd use his own poo poo :V

:eyepop: I don't even bake sweets and I want this

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

my turn in the barrel posted:

From what I can tell the Classic and the artisan are the same except the handle on the bowl. FWIW mine has been fine for everything I've thrown at it.

But I can't say I'm not tempted.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1758191

Thanks, now I'm about to bid on a double-section reach-in freezer.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a $400 blender and I use my manual meat grinder more :xd:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here know if the Wolf Convection Steam Ovens are close to fulfilling my dream of having a Combi Oven in my kitchen? From first glance of the manual it looks like the temps are good (low end 85 degrees) but its humidity modes are basically "high" and "normal".

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have half a hog coming in a couple weeks and little freezer space so thinking about getting this GE deep freeze through Costco.

What does it mean when it says "Defrost Type - Frost Free " ? I seem to remember I didn't want auto defrost on a deep freezer because it heats up everything to thaw the frost buildup, and I remember my parents' model from the '70s had to be manually done every few years (which is fine) and also had some crazy vacuum that young me couldn't break open for 10 minutes after shutting. Has there been any evolution on that front in the last 50 years?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of the info, Whalley, on how more modern freezers work. Sounds like today's frost-free models won't be a problem for food.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's your climate and where is it going? Like in a garage where and where you live can't get real cold, or will it sit in a temp controlled environment?

Likely going in a garage that is between 15-85 Fahrenheit, and gets humid as gently caress during the summer. I could put it in a climate controlled basement, hadn't considered that.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That latest thermoworks seems a bit silly.
I use IR guns to check my large griddle, and also have one to make sure my kids’ bath water is good. It especially works well for black bodies like my griddle that spans half my burners.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jesus I really want the circle laser but I already have two Ir guns for my household

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ordered that mixer from Costco so thanks for the alert. We have a KitchenAid artisan now, which I believe SubG (or maybe it was Chef de Cuisinart) has referred to as "literal trash" and I tend to agree.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 19, 2019

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Glass lock and others with the four wings and rubber gaskets are awesome. There are a few clones out there that all work interchangeably

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

You need a new one. Unless your bread crust is crazy dry a bread knife that's sharp prevents most of that.

Unless you’re cutting bread that’s fresh out of the oven you should just use a sharp knife (no serrations) not a bread knife. That’s what Murray Carter told me anyway, and it’s served me well.

I’m pretty sure he says he just grinds off the blade to get rid of serrations, treating them like blade chips.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pepper Grinder Knobfeel™️

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

That is a very good microplane, imo

I'm irrationally annoyed that they don't sell a zester with a metal handle :argh:

Agreed.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Where can I learn about cheese storage? We had to toss some great stuff last month (Stilton, etc) because I ordered a giant gift set and we couldn’t get through it all.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What I mean is I've tried cheesecloth (which doesn't seem to do much), cellophane, etc. Other than vacuum sealing and freezing (and does that only really work with hard cheeses?) is there anything that will extend the life of my cheese? I like buying in bulk.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait... do you just torch the outside? I’ve... never thought to do that.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I actually had looked at the Cambros on Amazon. They were coming in around $14/container, so I kind of skipped over them. Maybe I'll have another look.

This might be a good time to take advantage of local restaurant supply / food service dealers that have opened their doors to the public.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are 3 RDs in the DC area, each of varying quality. I've only shopped at Eisenhower Ave and the MD one.

e: I hope this doesn't come off as a "let them eat cake" but if you have a legal entity for a corporation / LLC for really any purpose, you can get a card. When I did it it was submit paperwork online, take application and your articles of organization to the front desk on your first trip (go during a slow time to make this easy) and presto, they'll give you 2 cards no problem.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah they don’t care. Mine sound nothing like good service and they never asked or cared.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I use my masher for two main things: mashing avocados for making guacamole and to press down my big turner for making smash burgers. I think they are handy to have around for those.

I rice mashed potatoes but FGR is right it takes longer than you think.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just use old 16 ounce cups I borrowed from the pub and create dry erase measurements on them every time I want to cook

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of countertop ovens, anyone see this? Price is high but not ridiculous.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/

Holy poo poo thanks for linking this!

As someone who was about to ask this thread if they make any combi ovens that don’t need three-phase power, I guess I have my answer.

No joke I’d get a wall unit if it were any good.

E: after reading that I’d definitely be game for a 240V in-wall model that I could plumb a water supply line to.

Hed fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 4, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I just pre-ordered this bad boy, the Anova Precision Oven. We’ve been talking about replacing our oven because it bothers us in a number of ways, but this is both cheaper and more functional for 95% of the cooking we do.

I am very excited!

I’d love to get a report after you’ve had a few weeks to use it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I love Thanksgiving so much that I am going to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving too from now on. Its my favorite holiday hands down. Eat a bunch of food, drink a ton, and go comatose while watching football. Now that I think about it, thats how I want to die...

:hellyeah:

Amen

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Hey there!

We like it well enough, but it’s definitely a 1.0 product.

Good:
- steaming, roasting, steam-baking bread, and broiling all work well
- the temperature control is very good and makes results much more predictable especially for our kids
- proofing bread works really well
- it’s not usually very loud
- reheating rice on a sheet pan with 50% steam works quite well
- heats up pretty quickly (haven’t timed it, but a few minutes to 375F I would say)

Less good:
- mine crashes/reboots halfway through the firmware update that’s available
- it doesn’t always react to button presses/touches, though that has become less frequent over the month+ we’ve had it, so maybe a physical issue that needed to be broken in somehow. it was infuriating at first though
- my emails to the support address about the first two just disappeared without a ticket number, so I need to try again when I remember
- doesn’t fit a standard sheet pan. The one it comes with fits fine, obviously, and so do half sheet pans
- sometimes it hits a resonant frequency and vibrates a fair bit. not structurally an issue, but it sure makes some noise rattling about
- broiling is a bit uneven when using it for toast, as is predictable from the way the top element is shaped
- there’s no control for the light and it doesn’t stay on, so you have to open the door briefly to get the light on again
- it sometimes emits steam from the exhaust vent even when steam is at zero. this might not affect cooking, but it’s unexpected

I haven’t used the app (other than to fail to install the firmware update), or “sous vide mode” yet, but I’ll probably do the latter some time this week.

I would recommend it, but I would not fault anyone for waiting a few more months for them to sort it out a bit. The bad outnumber the good above, but the core functions are fine and the issues mostly minor.

Thanks for this! Just to be clear, the counter top version will fit a standard quarter sheet pan (9x13”) like a countertop toaster oven, right?

I’m intrigued and would really consider getting a full size one.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eeyo posted:

I think weird marketing gimmicks has been a part of KFC marketing for a little bit now. They've made KFC candles in years past, the aforementioned firelog (can be found on Amazon), and several other gimmicks. Also of note this year is the 15-minute Lifetime TV special A Recipe for Seduction starring Mario Lopez of Saved by the Bell fame.

https://twitter.com/lifetimetv/status/1335947170281885699

I think you mean Lifetime movie featuring KF. C. Slater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got one of the baking steels from the original GWS buy (see SA-Mart thread and GWS group buy).

This steel should be 3/8" and just A36.

I've been using it more after several moves and not having a gas range and there's parts of it peeling. What do I need to do to strip and refinish this thing?

Is this normal stripping of my initial layer or something more serious? I'm sure I did whatever the GWS recommendation was when I got it.
Do I need to leave it in there on a self-cleaning cycle to clean this off?

It looks like I can refinish like this:

Steve Yun posted:

Take a paper towel and some vegetable oil. Rub a little oil all over the thing.

Take another paper towel and wipe off any excess oil.

Bake at 500°F for one hour.

Let it cool down completely before touching.

Optional: repeat maybe one or two times.

edit: this isn't stainless after thinking about it so edited to reflect that.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 22, 2024