Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I have this one. It turns five in November, batteries have been changed once.

I had one of those. Mine emitted a high-pitched squeal that was super annoying. I replaced it with this, which I picked mostly because it was cheap and had a lot of mostly positive reviews. It has a couple of seconds of lag before it updates the weight, and I don't think it is as accurate as the ozeri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

IMO get the cheapest model that has a speed dial instead of just on/off/high. I don't think costco sells refurbs but you can usually get them direct from vitamix. That's what I did.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

emotive posted:

I'm really tempted to pick that up for $250 - I have a Blendtec now, but it makes the most awful grinding noise when you use it and is just loud as hell. I've been through two jars and nothing helps.

It'd be nice to have a dial, too, instead of the buttons.

I love my vitamix but it is definitely not the solution to your "loud as hell" problems

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It also replaces a slow cooker and a rice maker, if you don't use the pressure cooker functionality much. That said, I don't see much reason to get the ultra over the cheaper models

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

extravadanza posted:

Any stoves come with like 3 gas burners and 1 induction burner? I would like to buy that, as I just put in a vented hood and I'm looking to upgrade from the electric stove.

I don't think so, but it's a good idea. I'd prefer mostly induction with a wok burner

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Prescriptivst bread nazis, apparently

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I tried that. It didn’t work.

Would a Capresso 560.01 Infinity work? Keep in mind I want to be able to grind pepper super fine with it.

Yeah, that’s one of the more frequently recommended entry-level coffee grinders and it should work for you, assuming espresso dust is fine enough

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like silicone oven mitts a lot better than cloth because you won't get scalded if you somehow manage to get them wet while you're holding a hot pan

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

my aunt loaned these to me one year

https://lamsonproducts.com/products/poultry-shears

and then i did such a good job with the turkey that she let me keep them

Looking at this, the combination of "American made since 1837" in the header graphic, the $53 price tag and "imported from China" in the product description made me mad as hell

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Helith posted:

I've just found some pantry moths in my box of nuts that I bought to keep them out.
Each pack of nuts was individually sealed and then put into a box like this

https://sistemaplastics.com/products/klip-it-rectangular/2l-rectangle

I don't know how the moths got in there but I'm suspecting that they can get in through the seal somehow.
Any recommendations for kitchen storage boxes that will keep pantry moths out?

Yeah, the little bastards can squeeze in around the silicone gasket. Years ago I managed (over a protracted period of time) to starve out meal moths by putting everything in plastic containers with screw-on lids that look a lot like this.

FYI my moths were a freebie that came with something from the bulk bins at Whole Foods :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, clamp-top containers with a soft gasket didn't work for me, but screw-top plastic jars did (along with the other stuff mentioned - clean throughly, put nuts in the freezer, etc).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hauki posted:

I only have four, but now I kinda want the one second from left

That is a very good microplane, imo

Steve Yun posted:

That one is a very handy size for some applications

I'm irrationally annoyed that they don't sell a zester with a metal handle :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Skyarb posted:

This got lost in cheese chat but can someone answer this before I drop way too much money on a bunch of microplanes?

I'm pretty sure the blades are the same across all of the lines - you'll pay more for models with a metal handle. I had a plastic handle crack on one years and years ago so I mistrust them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought this tramontina at Costco a few years ago when I had to re-buy induction cookware. The strainer thing works fine but I always forget to put it in and use it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SubG posted:

Nah, a wok is a really good vessel for frying poo poo in, but you do want a full-sized one for that.

Lodge does make a bigger wok. I was thinking of getting one so that I could do stir fry dishes on my induction range but I'm not convinced it'll work well enough to be worth spending $50-60 to try

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

I'd love a wok ring that is just a solid hunk of cast iron with a divot for a round-bottom wok that I can just set on an induction burner but I doubt such a thing exists. Ahhh the heat retention would be glorious though.

you know, that 9" lodge wok discussed a few days ago is basically this, assuming a real wok will fit inside it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

My wife has expressed an interest in getting a new blender. Is the goon consensus on blenders still "get a Vitamix you coward"?

Yeah, I think vitamix and blendtec are held in equally high regard. I have a vitamix and love it. Get anything other than the bottom-end one that doesn't have variable speed. You can find good deals on vitamix's refurb site

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Juicers are pretty useless. One time my friends put a bunch of decorative gourds through a juicer they were gifted and extracted about a tablespoon of juice per gourd. It didn't taste bad

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

So googling "Unicorn Magnum" in my country returns bongs, industrial farming equipment and gundams. Thank you for enriching my google ads, thread.

no bad dragon products? :confused:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

any recs on a good, affordable Chinese-style cleaver/chef knife? I picked up a really nice knife for a friend but he wants something else for more heavy-duty every day use, specifically a cleaver, and something cheap enough/sturdy enough that he can beat it up a bit

I have a Deng TA-01 which I think was also recommended in the knife thread a while back, and looks really similar to the carbon steel SBZ above, but with a western-style handle. Be aware that these are basically a drop-in replacement for a chef's knife and aren't heavy enough to hack through bones

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What grater do folks like for cheese and veggie grating? I've hated nearly every box grater I've ever used either because they're too small or uncomfortable to hold. I saw someone somewhere suggest a more coarse and wider microplane which seems like it might be the ticket?

IMO the coarse professional is the microplane to get. I had the handle crack on one of the plastic ones.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you pick through the wall of nonstick skillets at a tj maxx you can find lots that are induction ready. That’s where I got my current one - it’s a t-fal with a metal handle that also claims to be oven safe to something like 500F. It was ~$20 like all the others

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

All regular Instant Pots are Darth Vader Instant Pots tho

:hmmyes: a wheezing metal can full of cooked meat

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my silicone seal always smells like the last thing I cooked, and afaict has never flavored the next thing I cooked, including white rice

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I imagine it's great if you rent or can't afford a $$$$ oven, probably heats up faster too

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

Pacotizing® involves the micro-pureeing of fresh, deep-frozen ingredients under overpressure

just loving lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao "rancid" is a "sensory defect"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Midniter posted:

Bit late on this, but I have this one and it's worked flawlessly, still in great shape after several years of regular use.

Although wow, I bought it at $20 and it's up to $35. Yikes.

just like their knives, it's available much cheaper with a plastic handle

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

annova claims to be developing biodegradable bags :shrug:

other that that, there are reusable bags which use the vacuum sealer's hose attachment. I have no idea how well they work

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought this one a while back and it worked fine. Not as nice as the $$$ zojurushi it replaced or as versatile as the instant pot that replaced it but it is cheap and does what it says.

Instant pots also have a stainless inner pan.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nah, the zojirushi I had was teflon, and afaik they all are.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my frigidaire induction range whines a lot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

looks like it has a one pint capacity, but includes three containers

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I got rid of my rice cooker and switched to instant pot because I got tired of the nonstick coating coming off

I dump all my dishes and utensils inside the pot and fill it with water to soak it and make the rice easier to scrub off

this is the life, right up until you want some rice to go with a pressure cooker dish :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bagheera posted:

Commercial Immersion Blender? Preferably from Webstaurant, this site here

I don't mean home immersion blenders for pureeing a soup for 4. I mean bigass commercial for turning 60 pounds of chile peppers into 10 gallons of homogenous paste.

I started a business making fermented hot sauce. We use Vitamix blenders to puree chiles, garlic, onions, etc. into a mash, which we ferment in large plastic containers for 30 days. Vitamix blenders do an outstanding job of blending veggies. We put in whole bulbs (not cloves, entire bulbs), chiles with the stems on, etc., and turns the whole mix into a big green or red smoothie. The solid bits get filtrered out after fermentation. This saves us from spending hours of time peeling, destemming, or otherwise processing ingredients.

Now we want to get even more efficient, and that means getting an immersion blender. It's like one of those "galaxy brain memes":
Normal Brain: Get a chef's knife. Chop 60 pounds of chile peppers, 15 pounds of garlic cloves, and 10 pounds of onions by hand. Takes 4 hours.
Expanding Brain: Use a Vitamix blender. Blend the ingredients in 1/2 gallon batches, 30 seconds at a time. Takes 2 hours.
Galaxy Brain: Get a commercial immersion blender. Dump everything in a 5 gallon Cambro bucket and grind it all together at once. Takes 30 minutes.

These immersion blenders range in price from $500 to over $2,000. Can you recommend one that can meet these requirements:
1) Blend tough vegetables parts, like chile stems and raw carrots, to a smooth pulp.
2) Tolerate up to 2 hours of use each day, without burning out the motor or fatiguing my employees.
3) Preferably come in under $1,000.

aren't you going to be macing yourself with flying jolokia dust if you do this in something without a lid?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I borrowed an induction burner when my stove was busted for a week and it worked surprisingly well. My biggest annoyance was that my moka pot was too small for the induction element to detect which led to hilarity when I tried to bring the fucker to a boil - I think I ended up setting it in a cast iron skillet, with a bit of water in it to keep it from triggering the overheat safety shutoff. In hindsight I should've probably just given up

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like you have a stainless steel moka pot, I stopped using my aluminum one after reading about how much aluminum you actually ingest (I'm always a skeptic but it's actually a worrisome amount), I've heard the SS ones don't work as well, is that true? Is it basically the same?

I've only ever owned this steel one. I get better coffee out of it than my friends with aluminum moka pots, though that is probably down to me being much more fussy about beans and grind settings

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm thinking of switching to reusable silicone bags for sous vide to cut down on plastic waste. Anyone have experience with Stasher bags or other brands?

the anova rolltop bag is easier to work with than the stasher bags, though the silicone feels thinner so it probably won't last as long

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do any of the zojis have stainless inner pots? Mine is nonstick.

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

even if you are happy with the result that one of those miniature food processors gives you, breaking it down and cleaning it is still more of a pain in the rear end than just chopping an onion in the first place