Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nephzinho posted:

Having said that, keep a few boxes in your pantry just in case you need to throw together a quick dinner. My personal compromise these days is that I shouldn't be eating pasta, so if I'm going to I need to earn it by making it, but sometimes its late and you need to eat something now.

I COULD keep a few boxes of store-bought pasta just in case...

... or I could make my own, dry it on the pasta drying rack I got, and keep that instead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

No Wave posted:

The magnum feels good but I would not recommend it unless you've used it and are ok with its output. Its finest setting is extremely coarse, like "this pepper is crunchy" coarse.

This is exactly why I haven’t bought one. I NEED a super fine grind, and the Peugeot Paris does an amazing job at that.

I do wish there was an electric grinder that would do the job faster though. :(

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

This is exactly why I haven’t bought one. I NEED a super fine grind, and the Peugeot Paris does an amazing job at that.

I do wish there was an electric grinder that would do the job faster though. :(

:siren: :swoon: :allears: GUYS PEUGEOT MAKES AN ELECTRIC VERSION OF THE PARIS PEPPER MILL AND OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!!!! :allears: :swoon: :siren:

* Drawbacks: It’s about $110 bucks and I pretty much don’t even care STILL WANT

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

You might when you do the math on a brisket rub and think about how many twists you need for 3/4 cup of ground pepper.

See my post above.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought the $100 pepper grinder.

I regret nothing!

Laugh at me if you want, but I don’t think you people fully comprehend how bad I love my Peugeot Paris.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I gave my dad an Instant Pot for Christmas and he hasn’t tried it out yet.

Probably because we don’t know what to make with it first.

He loves it though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am totally doing this.

wormil posted:

Bean soup. Beans, onions, salt, chicken stock, 30 minutes. I like to go slightly longer for softer beans. Kick it up a notch with chorizo.

This is also a really good idea, though could I sub beef stock instead of chicken stock and add smoked brisket chunks and peppers to it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am brining pastrami using a recipe that calls for a beef brisket flat, 4 quarts of water, and an onion, and then the recipe says this:

Project Smoke by Steven Raichlen posted:

Place the brisket in a jumbo heavy-duty resealable plastic bag.

Now, I don’t know what fancy rear end eat-the-rich grocery store Steven Raichlen shops at, but I HAVE NEVER IN ALL OF MY BORN DAYS ON OUR CHRISTIAN GOD’S EARTH EVER ONCE WITNESSED resealable plastic bags larger than gallon-size! Maybe because I live in a small redneck shithole town where nobody sells them? But I’ve never seen them in bigger cities like Austin TX either. AND YET I SEE RECIPES CALL FOR THEM EVERY-loving-WHERE. So clearly people MUST be finding them somewhere. But I have never seen them. AND I HAVE LOOKED!

I ended up having to divide my brisket and other ingredients in two and put them in 2 separate gallon-size bags, but that recipe has pink curing salt in it, so I am praying like hell that this pastrami doesn’t kill anyone.

Sure I could just get a FoodSaver and use that instead, and eventually I’ll probably do that... but this has been bugging the absolute poo poo out of me for YEARS. Where do people find these super giant resealable plastic bags?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 16, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You guys.

How It’s Made has an episode that shows how they make my beloved Peugeot Paris pepper mill. :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shroomie posted:

My favorite is when someone asks a question about a product and someone responds with "I don't know, I don't own this"

People who do this need to be hunted in the streets for sport.

I guarantee you they’re all idiot boomers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new meat slicer.

I want to see what deals Restaurant Depot has available, but two problems prevent me from being able to...

1. Restaurant Depot requires you to physically go to their store in person before you can even look at their inventory online (because apparently some idiot thinks this is a good and smart way to do business in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Twenty :shepface:), and...
2. The closest Restaurant Depot store to me is 2 hours away, and I’m not loving driving that far unless I know beforehand that I’m gonna buy something.

Do any of y’all have a Restaurant Depot membership number I can borrow to check their online meat slicer selection? OR, failing that, can somebody go to their website and post a bunch of screenshots of their meat slicer prices (or PM them to me)?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I prefer tighter seals to easier access. I called to verify they were issuing day passes to the public, and am going to head up there, shortly. I wish I had a chest freezer. I can’t go through a case of anything by myself. I guess I’ll just get some containers.

On another note, I griped earlier in this thread about the KitchenAid Pro 5 I bought. Underpowered, shakes like an earthquake above speed two, etc. How do people like the Professional 600? I bought one. It’s apparently been on my porch since Friday. Amazon hosed up the color, and now all the other colors are “unavailable,” but I paid $319 for it instead of the $479 I paid for the Pro 5.

I just unpacked it, and haven’t had a chance to make anything with it. I’m just curious what the general opinion of the Professional 600 is. It seems like a no-brainer for $319, unless there’s some known terrible problem with it. I read KitchenAid cut out the bullshit and went back to all-metal gears, and that’s the main thing I think of when I think of problems with mixers.

You can usually get a brand new Professional 600 on eBay for $250.

I didn’t find this out until after I bought ours.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of Vitamix, if any of y’all have been wanting a Vitamix 750 Professional 64-oz low-profile blender, you might wanna go ahead and buy it now. The Amazon price on it has dropped like a rock over the last week or two. I think it’s under $400 now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So ThermoWorks has a new small cheap instant-read thermometer out.

https://www.thermoworks.com/dash?quantity=1&dash=1

3 to 4 second readings, accurate to 0.9°F, AND it’s only $40 bucks!!? Yes, please! :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

.Z. posted:

No worries.

But yeah, I wonder why they didn't just update the Thermopop vs creating another product line. It really doesn't seem like they are that different.

I guess they didn't want to make a MkII and bump the price $5?

I’m guessing it’s a form factor thing.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well gang, the time has finally come to replace the family microwave! Our current one is literally older than me, and while it still technically works, it’s not nearly as powerful as a modern-day unit and it doesn’t have a turntable. It still turns on, it still heats up our food (if slowly and unevenly), and to be quite honest I’m gonna be really sad to see it go... but I think it’s time to move on to a newer model.

What stand-alone microwaves do y’all like?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does Le Creuset make good wooden cooking utensils?

My dad wants a wooden utensil set that comes with a spatula. I know not all wood kitchen things are created equal, and I already got him another Le Creuset thing and I figure it’d be neat to color-coordinate with that if I can.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hypnophant posted:

Do they make a wooden spatula? All i can find are their silicone-headed ones which aren’t what i would consider a wooden spatula, which is for scraping a stainless steel or cast iron pan. You might want to check what your dad’s actually asking for.

I did, and...

CORRECTION: He wants a set with a wooden SCRAPING SPOON, not a spatula!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad mentioned a day or two ago that he wanted a new saucepan for Christmas if I could find a good one.

So today on my way home from an unrelated day trip, I swung by Williams-Sonoma and got him a 3-qt All-Clad D5 Stainless Steel saucepan since they were on sale. I’ll have to double-check the model number to be sure but I think it might be this one?

I know All-Clad makes awesome poo poo, but how does their D5 stainless steel line compare to the rest of their catalog (like their copper core stuff for example)?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 24, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

The D5 is 5-ply and very, very nice cookware imo. Good pickup especially if you paid ~$100 for it.

Awesome, thanks!

... although now I’m wondering if I should swap the pan I got with the brushed version since WS has them both on sale for the same price. I’m guessing both versions are functionally equivalent and the brushed D5 just looks a bit nicer, but maybe it also performs slightly better for some reason?

Actually while I’m here I might as well ask about electric knife sharpeners too. We need a knife sharpener BAD, and an easy-to-use electric one would probably be best since my dad will be the one using it. Are Chef’sChoice sharpeners still any good since the OP got written? Williams Sonoma has both the CC Professional 130 Platinum and the CC 1520 Angle Select on sale for about $150 and I’m wondering which one is a better buy if all we have are old CutCo knives. Or if I should get something else entirely.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 24, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

if you're willing to spend 150ish buy a ken onion worksharp, it will do a far better job.

I doubt my dad would be willing to use a belt-style sharpener like this. He isn’t the handiest guy with tools. Those Chef’sChoice disc sharpeners look way easier for him to use, which I think is gonna be a more important feature for his needs than making a sharper edge.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sry guys this sale is for ~*~*~VIPS LIKE ME ONLY~*~*~ :smug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Well gang, the time has finally come to replace the family microwave! Our current one is literally older than me, and while it still technically works, it’s not nearly as powerful as a modern-day unit and it doesn’t have a turntable. It still turns on, it still heats up our food (if slowly and unevenly), and to be quite honest I’m gonna be really sad to see it go... but I think it’s time to move on to a newer model.

What stand-alone microwaves do y’all like?

UPDATE: After getting no replies to this question here, I went to the General Questions thread and asked there, and they recommended a Panasonic inverter microwave. So I looked up some reviews and got a Panasonic NN-SN965S Inverter microwave...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-2-2-cu-ft-Countertop-Microwave-in-Stainless-Steel-with-Sensor-Cooking-NN-SN965S/206483737

... and it kicks all kinds of rear end, and after 3 months my dad can’t stop raving about it and how we should’ve bought one way sooner. Also it ISN’T made in the same factory as every other microwave brand on earth, I checked.

A million/10, would recommend, would buy again, Steve Yun put it in the OP.

(I do still kind of miss our old rear end Caloric Twin-Wave though, it had sentimental value to me and may have been a literal antique (apparently it was one of the first microwave models ever made) but dad loves the Panasonic so much that he gave the Twin-Wave to Goodwill)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Discussion Quorum posted:

Thermoworks is making a BIG ANNOUNCEMENT at 8AM MT tomorrow. Presumably it is about whatever will succeed the Thermapen Mk4.

:siren: Thermapen ONE is now available for preorder! :siren:

Reads in one second or less with more accuracy than the Mk4

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bagheera posted:

Meat slicer/deli slicer recommendations?

I'm starting a business selling bacon. It's a simple 1-person company smoking whole pork bellies and slicing them for sale. I've never owned a deli slicer before.

I won't be using the slicer every day. Once a week, I'll slice three pork bellies (about 15 pounds each) into slices between 1/16 and 1/4 inch thick.

Because this is a startup, cheaper is better. But I'll pay extra for good quality.

There are "Chef's Choice" slicers that cost a little over $100. Then there are Hobart slicers that start at $1,500 (and go up to five figures). Can you help me choose something?

I asked about this same thing awhile back and never got any recs, so I’d like an answer to this too

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd drop $5 on the Cooking Issues Patreon and ask him. Nobody does prosumer and pro equipment opinions like Dave Arnold. He will likely also throw in obscure advice on smoking 3 pork bellies at a time from that one time he ran a smoking 3 pork bellies at a time workshop or something.

A little annoying they started only taking questions from Patrons but they got screwed out of 6 months of Amazon sales of their Searzall so I don't mind.

I just joined and asked a question of my own. If you like I can wait a week and ask yours.

I’m down with this

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God I want a Smoking Gun. I think the only reason I haven’t gotten one yet is because I keep forgetting about it.

EDIT: re: Deli Slicer Chat — Bagheera already got something, but I’d still really love some recs on good new slicers, if BrianBoitano’s offer to ask those Patreon guys is still on the table.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 1, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acinonyx posted:

I've had two vitamix's over the course of 15 years and in my experience if you damage one, you must have been doing something super dumb. We gave the first one to friends after a decade because I wanted the 750 which fits in under our cabinets and it has the mayo making attachment

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acinonyx posted:

I've got a vitamix mayo making attachment

I can’t help but notice that nobody has clarified what the gently caress this is yet or posted a link to it, and google didn’t help me.

What is this Vitamix Mayo Making Attachment? That sounds very much like a thing I want to buy right drat now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SubG posted:

It's probably worth pointing out that what gets labelled as "extra virgin olive oil" is, at least in the US, wildly variable. And in the majority of cases, it does not even meet International Olive Council or USDA standards for extra virgin olive oil. Or at least that was the case a few years ago when UC Davis' Olive Center did testing. Here's a link to their Publications and Reports page, although the link on it to the report in question is broken (lol). Here's a link to a mirror of the report on some site called the The Olive Times.

From the executive summary:

Real no poo poo extra virgin olive oils these days will probably have a harvest date listed on the bottle, and will probably also identify where the olives were grown (an estate name) and/or where they were pressed (a mill name). Many will offer specific data on the composition of the oil, like a stated percentage of free fatty acid. Bottles from Italy will have a DOP seal and or an EU PDO seal. California olive oils will probably have a COOC (California Olive Oil Council) seal.

A bottle with none of these indicators is going to be a crap shoot. So if you've got a random grocery store bottle of something labelled extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't taste like evoo or if you're cooking with it and it's not behaving like evoo, then it's probably worth trying a different brand.

Do any of these loving nerd rear end wall-o-text studies have, like, lists of what olive oil BRANDS I should buy/avoid?

Yeah the hard data is important and all but I’m trying to put together a loving GROCERY LIST here. At the end of the day I don’t give a gently caress about seeing the labor, just show me the loving baby.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ThermoWorks.com is doing a Labor Day sale! 18% off your entire order using code SHAREBBQ at checkout.

:siren: This sale INCLUDES the new Thermapen ONE instant-read thermometer, which I think makes this the first time the ONE has been on sale since its release.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SURELY there is a device that grates an entire rear end wedge of parmesan cheese without making my arm sore as gently caress, right?

Right?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi thread, I'm looking for Christmas present ideas. Please tell me what are the current hotnesses for:

• Pasta extruders
• Ice cream makers (the ones you put on your counter that don't use rock salt)
• Kitchen scales (is that one scale SymmetryrtemmyS hocked awhile back still the go-to?)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Midniter posted:

Can't recommend the MyWeigh KD8000 enough.

I got the AC cable to power it, but I put batteries in it to make it a bit more convenient and it is just so much better. The batteries have lasted forever, too...I don't think I even know where the AC cable is any more.

I think this is what I already have. I'd like to upgrade to something with a decimal point on the grams setting.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Have any of y'all used these Spurtle things they used to run ads for on TV, and if so how do you like it?

My dad mentioned wanting one awhile back and I'm thinking about getting a full set since they all look like things we'd get a lot of use out of.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Marcato Atlas Regina a good pasta extruder?

I have a Marcato Atlas 150 and love it, but I'd like to make 3D noodles.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

VelociBacon posted:

Because you can't really stir things around and taste during the process

Yes you can. You can cook stuff with the lid off too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well my KD-8000 scale is finally kicking the bucket. It's not zeroing out right anymore and it doesn't reset to zero when even tiny amounts of pressure are applied and then removed from it (like my fingers reaching into a cup to remove a pinch of protein powder from the top of my milk) and in fact it's actually ADDING weight when that happens. It's also adding weight whenever I accidentally tap whatever is on it with my finger, like 20 or 30 grams of weight or more. I just sat an empty blender pitcher on it and tared it to zero, then went to grab something from the fridge and when I came back it was showing 3 grams despite nothing being added to it; I only looked away for a few seconds.

So...

It looks like it's time for me to pick up that Maestro scale SymmetryrtemmyS hocked awhile back and find out if it lives up to the hype.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Food Saver V4840 with the jar sealer attachments good for stuff like canning and pickling (safely)?

My dad's birthday is coming up and he's interested in a Food Saver, but he also recently got into making his own sauerkraut and curtido(sp?) and I know he's interested in canning that stuff along with sauces and whatnot.

EDIT: Also does the Food Saver FM5860 (with the same jar sealer attachments) have any features at all that would make it worth the extra money over the V4840?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JoshGuitar posted:

First I want to make it absolutely clear that vacuum sealing with a Food Saver is not in any way a replacement for actual canning. It won't give you shelf-stable pickles or sauces, and if your dad tries to use it for that he will die. Vacuum sealing jars still has its place. I mainly do that to get a better shelf life on dry goods, or even for things I'm freezing in jars.

Specific to sealing jars, I don't see any advantage to the more expensive Food Saver. I haven't read the fine print on the other features though, so there may be something useful there. Honestly I stopped using the actual Food Saver machine to vacuum seal jars for the most part, and started using the jar attachments along with a hand vacuum pump like you'd use to bleed brakes on a car. It's more work, but still easier than pulling out a big machine to seal just one jar. If the Food Saver is already out, then yeah I'll use it. Anyway the hand vacuum pump worked fine for a while, until I discovered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6BCXB3D . It replaces the Food Saver jar attachments for not much more money, and it's super compact, convenient, and quick to use. I'm not sure I'll ever use my Food Saver for jars again now that I have this.

We also have a canning and pickling thread that may be useful: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

Okay so pickling and jarring sauces is out, then. That's too bad. My dad makes his sauerkrauts using some old-school equipment one of my aunts gave him and then keeps it in mason jars, but it sounds like a vacuum sealer wouldn't extend the shelf life of that kind of stuff even then.

What Food Saver model would y'all recommend for general bag sealing and other fun poo poo?