Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally have some free time to try this this weekend. Is there anything I should know coming in? Useless/Must Have stats on SPECIAL? Bugs to watch out for? Must-have mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

Finally have some free time to try this this weekend. Is there anything I should know coming in? Useless/Must Have stats on SPECIAL? Bugs to watch out for? Must-have mods?

It really depends on your playstyle. I started off by putting the most points into Strength, Intelligence, and Charisma to be able to carry stuff, level up faster, and get better prices buying and selling. The game has no level cap so if you stick with a character it is theoretically possible to get all the stats and perks maxed over time (well, a lot of time). I don't use VATS early in Fallout games, so Perception was a later acquisition for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

All stats are pretty useful, to the point where if you take a "1" in anything you're definitely going to notice how gimped you are in that area. With 1 END you'll be weak as tissue paper, with 1 STR you won't be able to carry anything, with 1 CHA everything will be too expensive, with 1 AGI you'll never have enough action points for sprinting or VATS, and with 1 LUCK it'll take a really long time for your critical hit meter to charge up.

Fortune Finder (makes bottlecaps appear in containers/dead bodies) and Scrounger (does the same for ammo) are way more useful than they sound because without them you'll be lucky to get anything more than a quarter in someone's couch and a bullet lodged in someone's sofa. Scrounger also makes random Fusion Cores for your power armor show up more often in ammo crates, too. That said, there are ways around that too, by bartering for whatever you need.

Aquaboy/girl is amazing because there's a lot of rivers and ponds and sewer levels in the game, and it makes travel a lot less annoying. It's not mandatory but it's just one huge source of radiation gone from your life.

Local Leader (CHA 6) is a *must* if you want to really mess around with settlements to their limit. And you probably will on some level, because one big function of settlements is the farmers farm food and precious junk for you to craft items with. Local Leader's function is that it links settlements via caravans; once linked, if you craft something in one settlement and you don't have enough junk, it'll pull from other linked settlements as well. Linked settlements also make up for each other's deficit in water and food production where applicable.

Bad perks... not too many. I don't have much use for Party Girl. Lead Belly can be skipped as a perk unless you're on Survival difficulty, because there's usually better healing available than random irradiated food and water lying around. Chems are amazing but most party members hate it when you use chems, so just keep that in mind if you want to get the Chemistry/Chem Resistant perks.

All the skills for modifying weapons and armor (this includes Science!, which governs energy weapons, power armor and robots) are very, VERY useful as they make the difference between a lame weapon and a really badass one. Adhesive is usually the one thing holding you back, and you can cook up more adhesive using the Vegetable Starch recipe (requires mutfruit, corn and tatos, so have your settlers farming lots of those crops and you'll be good).

Speedball fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 14, 2016

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Speedball posted:

All stats are pretty useful, to the point where if you take a "1" in anything you're definitely going to notice how gimped you are in that area. With 1 END you'll be weak as tissue paper, with 1 STR you won't be able to carry anything, with 1 CHA everything will be too expensive, with 1 AGI you'll never have enough action points for sprinting or VATS, and with 1 LUCK it'll take a really long time for your critical hit meter to charge up.

Fortune Finder (makes bottlecaps appear in containers/dead bodies) and Scrounger (does the same for ammo) are way more useful than they sound because without them you'll be lucky to get anything more than a quarter in someone's couch and a bullet lodged in someone's sofa. Scrounger also makes random Fusion Cores for your power armor show up more often in ammo crates, too. That said, there are ways around that too, by bartering for whatever you need.

Aquaboy/girl is amazing because there's a lot of rivers and ponds and sewer levels in the game, and it makes travel a lot less annoying. It's not mandatory but it's just one huge source of radiation gone from your life.

Local Leader (CHA 6) is a *must* if you want to really mess around with settlements to their limit. And you probably will on some level, because one big function of settlements is the farmers farm food and precious junk for you to craft items with. Local Leader's function is that it links settlements via caravans; once linked, if you craft something in one settlement and you don't have enough junk, it'll pull from other linked settlements as well. Linked settlements also make up for each other's deficit in water and food production where applicable.

Bad perks... not too many. I don't have much use for Party Girl. Lead Belly can be skipped as a perk unless you're on Survival difficulty, because there's usually better healing available than random irradiated food and water lying around. Chems are amazing but most party members hate it when you use chems, so just keep that in mind if you want to get the Chemistry/Chem Resistant perks.

All the skills for modifying weapons and armor (this includes Science!, which governs energy weapons, power armor and robots) are very, VERY useful as they make the difference between a lame weapon and a really badass one. Adhesive is usually the one thing holding you back, and you can cook up more adhesive using the Vegetable Starch recipe (requires mutfruit, corn and tatos, so have your settlers farming lots of those crops and you'll be good).

Not all companions dislike it. Hancock is downright delighted.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dienes posted:

Not all companions dislike it. Hancock is downright delighted.

Yeah, and Cait likes it for a while. And Dogmeat doesn't give a poo poo, naturally.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

This is accurate. And is the only thing I actually used a command line in the game for. gently caress having to level CHA to 6 for something that should have been part of the base game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Why would people make trade caravans so a one-charisma dumpstat autist* can freely tinker wherever he wants, though?

The Wasteland is a dangerous place, it might take some charisma to get people to do that for you.

*the game characters of anyone not strictly roleplaying count as this if you think about it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is accurate. And is the only thing I actually used a command line in the game for. gently caress having to level CHA to 6 for something that should have been part of the base game.

I mean, you could say the same thing about any perk. I kind of like that charisma is useful for once.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Requiring Local Leader to make crafting stations, however, is dogshit design at its finest. It has literally nothing to do with being charismatic or interacting with other people and is simply more terrible filler in the already padded-to-hell charisma perk line.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Volkerball posted:

I mean, you could say the same thing about any perk. I kind of like that charisma is useful for once.

Standout for me there is Demolitions Expert 2 and its predictor arc. Once you grenade through a window you never go back.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why would people make trade caravans so a one-charisma dumpstat autist* can freely tinker wherever he wants, though?

The Wasteland is a dangerous place, it might take some charisma to get people to do that for you.

*the game characters of anyone not strictly roleplaying count as this if you think about it.

Taken in a strictly in-game sense, I don't disagree with you. (Putting aside the fact that a single person doesn't need to be the catalyst for a trade network, and also that the whole idea of bringing back the Minutemen is in and of itself a massively charismatic thing to do... but that's another aside.)

However, in this video game we are playing, settlement building and crafting are (while not strictly necessary) huge parts of the game. This perk is completely mandatory if you want to settlement build at all. Which is ok, except it shouldn't be buried 6 points down into a tree. I don't want to have to spend 7 points early on in the game just to do something that is supposed to be a huge part of the game.

I am far from the only one that feels this way.

Volkerball posted:

You can't, really. Nothing else is as pervasive as this one little perk. And this is a terrible "fix" if that's the reasoning. If Charisma is a bad stat tree (and it is), then fix it. Don't force players to spend 6 levels in it for a near mandatory perk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Charisma gets you vastly better buying and selling prices, and affects what dialogue options you can use, so I'd say it is more fine than not in the game.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Grape mentats and a good set of clothes kinda eliminate the need to have chr so permanently high though. Since I only have it at 6 for supply chains, that's a couple special points that could be better used. I'd be happy if they gated it at chr3 or something even

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's a good story.

On another note, when is Survival Mode coming to consoles? I need it for reasons.

Not being able to carry everything that isn't nailed down and being cautious is the best way to play Fallout.

It really is a good story. There have been similar ones, but not as well told.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Why don't you start with 6 charisma? That way, the other non-charisma perks you get you can really feel like you've worked for them.

The SPECIAL stats all kind of feel useless in modern Bethesda FPS hybrids, honestly.

PROBABLY FAKE EDIT: This not being able to save anywhere but a bed in Survival Mode is rough. Everything else is hard but fair and cool and good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 18, 2016

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I did start at chr6, but only for a perk so crazy basic that it should almost be a default feature. I'd rather have started chr3 and put the difference into int and luck so I could get chemist/robot expert and stuff eventually, since I took almost none of the other chr perks :shrug:

Chemist in survival is also more useful than I expected so I'm bitter that I started int6

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I miss INT/CHA dumping leading to you having to talk in grunts and gestures. :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Me too. Next game we won't have, say, a certain caliber of bullets. You know the one, that only like three percent of gamers use?

(I'm referencing spears, obviously.)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i usually start at C5 and pick up the bobblehead to get to 6 on the cabot house mission.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
How many times do you have to play through a game before you "usually" do something? I see this phrase all the time.

Is it just a figure of speech, maybe?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just finished Mechanist. The Duelbot is a tought enemy. Having the Silver Shroud costume on was a great thing.

Whoa Far Harbour installed while I was playing. I've literally never seen that in a Steam Game.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 19, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How are people liking far harbour? I consoled myself the new gun and it's cool but haven't had a chance to play yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm liking it, but not liking that I still get "settlement X is under attack" alerts even when off on the island.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Rasmussen posted:

How are people liking far harbour? I consoled myself the new gun and it's cool but haven't had a chance to play yet.

It's nice and big. The island has a lot of space between stuff which I think people might end up disliking but I'm enjoying hiking around. It's like a better version of point lookout atm.

The new guns are cool but I haven't found the new big armor yet, just the trapper stuff. Not sure about the story, been doing side quests instead and exploring because that's more of what I really want from a Bethesda Rpg.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rasmussen posted:

If you're playing it on ps4 wait. The fog absolutely ruins the experience as it just kills the fps, it's pretty bad. I hope this is patched soon :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

de_dust posted:

If you're playing it on ps4 wait. The fog absolutely ruins the experience as it just kills the fps, it's pretty bad. I hope this is patched soon :(

Strangely the more I played the less it seems to hurt the framerate.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

de_dust posted:

I've done a lot of exploring the island and yes, there are some issues, but it's never been unplayable.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This DLC is 25 bucks? A quarter hundo? 1.25 Tubmans? The robit one was only tenbux. I'll wait for a Steam sale.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got the Season Pass back when it was $29.99, so have been feeling pretty good about that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I got the Season Pass back when it was $29.99, so have been feeling pretty good about that.

Yep, I grabbed it when it was that much too. Basically as soon as I heard about the first batch of DLC coming out I bought it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Me too.

Otisburg posted:

This DLC is 25 bucks? A quarter hundo? 1.25 Tubmans? The robit one was only tenbux. I'll wait for a Steam sale.

This one is a lot bigger than the robit one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Far Harbour : Fallout 4 :: Dragonborn : Skyrim, right? Like it's a whole new big map area?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Someday I really need to actually play Skyrim. Maybe once I'm done this. I have a game that's been played since the game came out and go back to it and I've barely touched anything in that game.

Anyways, loving Far Harbour, though I feel like I should have kept Vic and send Longfellow back to his cabin, at least when talking to the Synths. Right now though I've gone to Acadia but now i'm just running around the map exploring.

One problem I am having is that the mod I have to get rid of negative approval from companions doesn't work with Longfellow. Though I discovered I can wear a gas mask and the sea captains hat at the same time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Someday I really need to actually play Skyrim. Maybe once I'm done this. I have a game that's been played since the game came out and go back to it and I've barely touched anything in that game.

Anyways, loving Far Harbour, though I feel like I should have kept Vic and send Longfellow back to his cabin, at least when talking to the Synths. Right now though I've gone to Acadia but now i'm just running around the map exploring.

One problem I am having is that the mod I have to get rid of negative approval from companions doesn't work with Longfellow. Though I discovered I can wear a gas mask and the sea captains hat at the same time.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3276/ You tried this one? Hypothetically, it looks like it should work.

Also, if the mod who lets you use more than one companion works properly with Far Harbor, maybe I can get around that by taking both...

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 22, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Far Harbor has whole new landmass with faction quest lines and a overarching quest.

I highly recommend bringing Nick on the main quest

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 22, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3276/ You tried this one? Hypothetically, it looks like it should work.

Also, if the mod who lets you use more than one companion works properly with Far Harbor, maybe I can get around that by taking both...

That's the one i have installed, and Longfellow got pissed off when I shot Machete Mike in the back of the head.

Tuskin38 posted:

Far Harbor has whole new landmass with faction quest lines and a overarching quest.

I assume I can just leave anytime I want because unlike the other DLC, i'm not locked in the area until I finish the main quest.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

That's the one i have installed, and Longfellow got pissed off when I shot Machete Mike in the back of the head.

I assume I can just leave anytime I want because unlike the other DLC, i'm not locked in the area until I finish the main quest.

That's interesting, because I took a look at what it edited, and it seems to edit the generic actions instead of each companion. Maybe he has separate ones? I don't know why he would.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tuskin38 posted:

Just about to leave for it, but did the others get any unique dialog there or only Nick? I don't mind bringing Nick since he is awesome and I still need to finish getting his loyalty up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rirse posted:

Just about to leave for it, but did the others get any unique dialog there or only Nick? I don't mind bringing Nick since he is awesome and I still need to finish getting his loyalty up.

I think only Nick has unique dialogue, though I've noticed other companions have likes and dislikes for the quests in Far Harbor too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

I think only Nick has unique dialogue, though I've noticed other companions have likes and dislikes for the quests in Far Harbor too.

That makes sense. I had Piper along with me when I went to visit the parents and she got a few "Piper Liked This" there.

• Locked thread