Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Present posted:

Yeah they also didn't account for this many people owning cars and now that situation is all kinds of hosed up.

this is the same in all cities though but at least they have decent public transport generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

thathonkey posted:

I used another chip reader thing today. First I had to hold my card in the slot the whole time because it wouldn't make a connection resting by itself. Once it did make a connection, it took about 15 seconds to finish. :911:

Even more dumb: issuers like Chase bank seem to only issue cards with chips now, without having people setting up PINs at all, so everyone just Chips and signs, negating the whole loving point.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Present posted:

Yeah they also didn't account for this many people owning cars and now that situation is all kinds of hosed up.
Cities designed around cars are by far the worst.

I think Amsterdam is pretty great when it to layout, scale and functionality. When it comes to big cities I do really love London. Sure, it has plenty of problems and its public transport needs more investment, but it is big yet walkable, random and exciting with little alleyways and historic streets while also relatively easy to navigate through.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 14, 2016

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Terminal Entropy posted:

Even more dumb: issuers like Chase bank seem to only issue cards with chips now, without having people setting up PINs at all, so everyone just Chips and signs, negating the whole loving point.

I don't know if this is a more recent thing, but all the cards I've gotten from Chase also have the magnetic strip on them, it's just that the piece of crap card readers refuse to let you use the much, much faster swipe option if they detect your card has the chip.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ewan posted:

Today I learned that Americans still sign for debit/credit card transactions.

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).
We almost had those but then there was the dumbest loving panic over "someone with a portable reader gun could scan your card from across the street! :tinfoil:" and piles of "with this new credit card menace coming to your door, here's how to protect it from cyberthieves!" articles actually suggesting that you wrap/insert/create your wallet with aluminum foil.

Citychat edit: Minneapolis is pretty well designed as long as you don't go downtown. St. Paul is even worse; it looks like someone dipped a wad of half-cooked spaghetti in ink, slapped it on a sheet of paper, and said "there, that's our city map."

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 14, 2016

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's time for today's episode of "bug or feature!".

At my workplace there are two methods of claiming expenses. You can do it in advance with an invoice. But, the website used to make these claims is blocked from work PCs. Right then, the other method is to claim the expense after you've paid it. Makes sense. The company recently sent out quite a detailed "how to" guide, telling you to download the app, and the guide itself is very clear, lots of pictures- you can tell they're really pleased they've got such a smart system up and running. Except, when you go to log in to the app, you get an error message saying how the company hasn't bought the license so you can't actually use the app.

Really smart, or really stupid? I just can't tell.

Bonus edition: I very rarely phonepost, but today, because the "enter" key of the keyboard and the "home screen" buttons virtually overlap on my screen, I hit the home screen button instead of enter. And had my original phone-written post deleted, the Awful app deciding it couldn't be bothered to save the post. Feb work all round, guys!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ewan posted:

Today I learned that Americans still sign for debit/credit card transactions.

I seriously don't think I've signed for a card transaction for over 10 years. And now we've moved beyond Chip n Pin to Contactless, which is amazing (takes 1s and you don't even need to take your card out of your wallet), and you can use it for travelling on the underground or buses. Although, I wish they'd let you choose to raise the limit (it's £30 at the moment).

how is entering a pin better than signing a touch screen. especially when the point of chip and pin is to shift liability onto the cardholder

they tried wireless transactions here but nobody liked it so its gone now

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

naem posted:

I miss how in newt York everyone knows how to use a sidewalk:

-there are two clear lanes of 'traffic' in each direction
-there is a fast and a slow lane so everyone walks at a steady comfortable speed of their choosing
-people entering or leaving stores wait and merge with 'traffic' exactly like cars on the street
-no one ever stops in the middle of 'traffic' because that would block the million other people walking which would be weird and bad

In SF where I now live:
-half the population are just visiting and they want to stop and gawk at everything when you are trying to get to work
-people walk in groups that block entire sidewalks and look confused when you walk at a different speed
-entering and exiting stores without looking and being completely confused that there are people walking forward in a straight line from point A to point B on the sidewalk already who they have now bumped into
-'special interest groups' such as 'tiny adorable 500 year old Asian grandma's and 'guys wearing an expensive fancy person outfit such as an expensive sweater with a shirt collar showing' expect deferential treatment and get very sad/perturbed when they can't walk completely against traffic and 5000 people don't all get out of their way so they can walk diagonally and stop suddenly for no reason
-insane filthy homeless guys ramming into people and screaming obscenities nonstop who get super super scared if you respond "no how about gently caress YOU rear end in a top hat"
-not being able to scream "gently caress you" in a jovial manner without terrifying people since in New York that just means hello

SF barely counts as a city and the people that live there know it but instead of just admitting to it their put their fingers in their ears and start screaming about their rent.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

We almost had those but then there was the dumbest loving panic over "someone with a portable reader gun could scan your card from across the street! :tinfoil:" and piles of "with this new credit card menace coming to your door, here's how to protect it from cyberthieves!" articles actually suggesting that you wrap/insert/create your wallet with aluminum foil.

Oh. Do those not work? My moms credit card was stolen and the bank asked if she, a california woman, was buying computers in britain. :v: nope. So now she has a wallet lined with some silver metallic fabric type poo poo that probably cost fifty bucks so no one steals her info through microwaves.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mange Mite posted:

how is entering a pin better than signing a touch screen. especially when the point of chip and pin is to shift liability onto the cardholder

they tried wireless transactions here but nobody liked it so its gone now

Because a signature is really easy to forge?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Terminal Entropy posted:

All my new cards have magnetic stripe and chip. If I try to swipe it (like out of habit) on a new point of sale system that supports chips it determines that my card is chipped and then i have to start over using the chip reader. loving ridiculous

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh. Do those not work? My moms credit card was stolen and the bank asked if she, a california woman, was buying computers in britain. :v: nope. So now she has a wallet lined with some silver metallic fabric type poo poo that probably cost fifty bucks so no one steals her info through microwaves.

They don't work because someone can still guess the number even if your credit card has been sitting in a vault since you got it. I had a fraud charge on a card I got that I used for a balance transfer and promptly stuck in a drawer and never actually used it to buy anything. It's just something that happens, and it's silly to line yourself with tinfoil to try and prevent it, especially when it shouldn't cost the card owner anything to fix

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Yawgmoth posted:

I forgot I turned NFC on for my phone and freaked myself out when I placed it on top of my wallet and it started beeping. I think it was picking up the signal from my Ventra card?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

therattle posted:

Because a signature is really easy to forge?

who cares that's the vendor's problem

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have not entered a pin anywhere but a bank and have not signed my real signature for like 16 years now, the backs of my cards say "See ID" and maybe one in twenty clerks asks whereupon I say "Thanks for asking" and show my ID. Soon though the card companies and the merchants will agree on some gently caress laws so that I have to then a blackhat Chinese national botnet will steal all of my info and I will spend years fighting fake charges it'll be great.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wedemeyer posted:

You have a better chance of being microwaved to death with a giant microwave than you do of having someone steal your info with a card-reading gun from afar.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Does anyone actually put their signature on the little screen? Half the time the little pen is either missing or doesn't work, so I've always just ran my finger across the screen so it will accept it.

As I type this, the TV in the background is "selling" the upcoming news, with "Kroger wants your pin, but you don't want to give it, we'll tell you how to get around giving it", cut to a fat blonde woman outside the store crying "I feel very intimidated by Kroger right now".

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
TBH, a lot of shops here get into a panic if someone wants to sign instead of use a PIN or contactless (like if they're a visiting American without a chip n PIN card). I saw it at a bar the other day and it took like 10 minutes for the bar staff to work out how to do it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lmao at your loving idiot americans. NFC payments are the loving future and even our backwards country can see the benefit of it.

then again i suppose you guys are super loving paranoid about everything hence all the guns so it makes perfect sense.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Laserface posted:

lmao at your loving idiot americans. NFC payments are the loving future and even our backwards country can see the benefit of it.

then again i suppose you guys are super loving paranoid about everything hence all the guns so it makes perfect sense.

Do Australian banks have Apple Pay yet?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Do Australian banks have Apple Pay yet?

no because we already have NFC payments everywhere, have had them for years, and lol if you think a bank that already has infrastructure in place is gonna let Apple walk in and take a cut so people can wave their phone instead of their wallet.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Laserface posted:

Hahaha, you live in australia.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You know that we had NFC cards before you and we pretty much rejected them, right? That's part of the reason we didn't have chip cards for so long, the techno half assumed we'd just skip over those and go to NFC. Turns out however that people rightly don't trust them and don't like them and won't use them.

Also most Americans have more than one card in their wallet unlike you bogans so there's no "wave your wallet" possible, you still have to dig the card out.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sheep-Goats posted:

You know that we had NFC cards before you and we pretty much rejected them, right? That's part of the reason we didn't have chip cards for so long, the techno half assumed we'd just skip over those and go to NFC. Turns out however that people rightly don't trust them and don't like them and won't use them.

Also most Americans have more than one card in their wallet unlike you bogans so there's no "wave your wallet" possible, you still have to dig the card out.

you must forgive his handicap, he is but Australian after all

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

I have 3 cards, with my most frequently used one in the front sleeve. it takes .5 of a second to remove it.

I guess the bad design that makes me furious is dumb loving americans?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh no, not more smug Australians :ohdear:

Can't possibly be that the US system is literally retarded.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

One of my biggest design pet peeves is when plastic and metal pieces clip into each other.

I see this on laptops and cars all the time and it's the loving worst. The plastic gets old and brittle and there's no way you're forcing the pieces apart without the plastic parts snapping and you either have to pay for new plastic pieces every time you take something apart or you just hope you break only enough tabs that you can halfass put it back together without everything being loose as gently caress.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

RE: credit card signatures

The only reason for the signatures is to decide if transactions were authorized by the cardholder AFTER there's already been an issue.

When I worked retail, people seriously thought that their signature was transmitted to Credit Card Company HQ and run through a roomful of computers to verify that it was them. You could draw goatse on the screen and it wouldn't matter. Yeah, the signatures look nothing like the way most people sign with a pen and paper but most people sign the same every time so if someone steals the card and signs, it's usually pretty obvious.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Who the gently caress uses cards? When I want to purchase something from a vendor at a market on credit I simply shout that I am cumshitter, known far and wide for the bounty of my farm and the beauty of my women. Who will vouchsafe my name and know that credit extended to me is credit repaid?

And all who vouchsafe my name let loose a raucous cheer, and those who object die by my sword. And that's why I have a 798 credit rating with Transunion.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

cumshitter posted:

And that's why I have a 798 credit rating with Transunion.

Please don't make a credit rating system out of my gender identity.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had an NFC card for a while, one of my previous Chase cards, I think. The only place I ever saw that had a scanner for it was McDonalds, and the couple of times I tried to scan it, it didn't work and I had to swipe it.

The chip cards are definitely having some teething problems. Walmart forces you to use the chip and yeah, 30+ seconds every time. It used to take a signature but then started asking for the PIN instead, and one of my cards didn't have a PIN so I had to get one mailed to me before I could use it there. There are a lot of places near me that have the chip readers, but they're not set up yet so you still have to swipe. And the local Dollar General is set up for the chips, but Chase cards don't work on it so you have to swipe them anyway.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Everything you just listed are retarded idiot reasons only babies would worry about.

Its okay, Trump will bring back the gold standard and allow you to sign in crayons if you want to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

no because we already have NFC payments everywhere, have had them for years, and lol if you think a bank that already has infrastructure in place is gonna let Apple walk in and take a cut so people can wave their phone instead of their wallet.

The us has had tap to pay for years, too, it's just that nobody likes it so they stopped putting it on cards

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

eSporks posted:

I really like Portlands street layout. The city is divided into 4 quadrants by Burnside street and the Williamette river. All the numbered streets run North-South and the smaller the number the close to the river. All the named streets run East-Westand are mostly in alphabetical order. Every address also had a quadrant suffix added to the end of street name. Its pretty easy to find a location even if you are completely unfamiliar with it.
http://www.portlandtraveltips.com/2013/04/14/portland-geography-101/

Ahem. Ladd's Addition.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Since the London Underground started accepting contactless payments on their network, I've had to start putting my cards in foil sleeves. Now when I 'tap on', When they try and take payment from my (employer provided) oyster, my credit and debit cards scream "ME TOO" and then the machines complain about multiple cards provided.

It's cool that they've implemented it. But it's a bit half-assed. People carry multiple credit/debit cards and you nearly can't get the things w/o contactless any more. Now you've got to keep one of them separate to travel with.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wow, what a nightmare!

Watch this, except replace flying with using a card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3dYS7PcAG4

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
anyone who brings that video up in any context as proof of anything is a big fat idiot

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cumshitter posted:

Who the gently caress uses cards? When I want to purchase something from a vendor at a market on credit I simply shout that I am cumshitter, known far and wide for the bounty of my farm and the beauty of my women. Who will vouchsafe my name and know that credit extended to me is credit repaid?

And all who vouchsafe my name let loose a raucous cheer, and those who object die by my sword. And that's why I have a 798 credit rating with Transunion.

Enrique?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why does every smart phone music app insist on showing me giant rear end buttons for all my albums. Why yes, I want to see only 4 albums at a time on my giant rear end phone.

What happened to lists? Did people forget how to read? Do we really need giant rear end retard buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The General posted:

Why does every smart phone music app insist on showing me giant rear end buttons for all my albums. Why yes, I want to see only 4 albums at a time on my giant rear end phone.

What happened to lists? Did people forget how to read? Do we really need giant rear end retard buttons?

I guess the thinking is that it's reminiscent of a real record collection or something.

• Locked thread