Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Kremlin Kremlin posted:

hey this isn't the volume dial *dies*

I had a car accident a few months ago and this car was the one I had as a rental during repairs. The parking brake takes a bit of figuring out, but the transmission can't be changed unless the car is stopped and your foot is on the brake. Otherwise it just spins freely.

While I didn't care for the design (it's too easy to spin it into L or N without noticing), it doesn't seem to be too far removed from this:

As far as bad design, I love my phone, but it has one major design flaw.

This is the phone:

The curved edge, while completely pointless, is sort of neat looking. However, since it's a jumbo-sized phone, if you have any sort of list on the screen (texts, songs, etc), your fingers are constantly opening up unwanted emails or texts or changing what song you're listening to, as it's impossible to hold in one hand without having at least one finger on the curved part of the screen. I really don't know why the curved part has any touchscreen capabilities, as I can't see what you would be doing that would involve touching that minute strip of screen real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lmaoooooooooooooooooooooo

I guess my post was amusing for some reason?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Darth123123 posted:

I think he's saying Windows is superior

Eww, one of those, then?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Turns out when you're logged in to gmail on your work computer, Google remembers what you've searched for on your Android phone and includes it in the little drop down menu. Thanks Google, great idea.

Yeah, the way Google handles your Google account across devices leaves a lot to be desired. It also populates your "contacts" in your phone with a shitload of just email addresses and things like that, including a bunch of the gibberish craigslist emails you wind up with if you buy/sell anything through that site. I can delete them, but haven't set aside the time to sit down and delete contacts one by one. I just love scrolling through dozens of "32bcdda436ar9@craigslist.org" to find a phone number.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

beedeebee posted:

Go to settings: only show contacts with a phone number. :tipshat:

Hey that worked like a charm, thanks! When I complained about the same thing in the Verizon store, you'd have thought the guy setting up my phone would have known that. Instead he just said "yeah that sucks".

Love where this thread is going, keep it up!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tenzarin posted:

Touch screens are reading the heat from your fingers, dont care how you touch them.

That's what I always thought, but on this phone if the charger cord drapes across the screen it tries to open whatever icons it touches, so I guess not.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Butyraceous posted:

It's actually reading electric currents you loving retard

But shouldn't the rubber on the cable keep all the electrics inside and away from my screen?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tenzarin posted:

Humans are not like full of electricity

Nuh huh didn't you watch the Matrix line of films?

Also I'm pretty sure capacitance refers to the skin's ability to conduct electricity.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Isaac posted:

Why are people destroying toilet stalls in usa wtf.

Because some meatheads really enjoy vandalism, and they can get away with it easier in the only private room in the building.

I could make an entire thread about all the poor design choices in my old Saab convertible that I keep around for summer driving. So many terrible decisions.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Since everyone seems to hate the way stalls are designed, how would you change them? A big curtain that went around 3 sides, like you get around your hospital bed?

Personally, I have like zero shame when it comes to using the potty in front of other guys, so I couldn't care less.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is this a new trend? I've never seen those "cross traffic does not stop" signs before. At a four way stop or really at any stop sign I always thought you look around and assume the cross traffic will not yield before doing anything.

Edit: I'm assuming someone died at that intersection so they added a new sign.

No, those have been around as long as I've been driving, 20+ years.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

mobby_6kl posted:

Really, 4-way stops in general are a bad design that makes me furious. It's by far the worst way to manage an intersection that I ever came across.

Seems like everyone i know has a crippling fear of roundabouts for some goddamn reason.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Human Crouton posted:

Women's bathrooms have couches.

Couches that women wearing squishy maxi pads sit on, no thanks.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Fartmaster posted:

Looking at that mac stuff reminded me of when I first downloaded iTunes to put poo poo on my phone.

Well let's see if I can even add stuff to the library... "Music", "Movies", "TV Shows" no... maybe this?

No dice.

Oh wait

Oh yeah of course, because those 20 extra pixels of screen real estate when you first open the program were so much more important than actually being able to use it.

Honestly, getting away from itunes was a deciding factor in moving from my iphone to my android phone. The idea of just dropping files into the appropriate folder makes so much more sense. Maybe I'm just old.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I haven't used iTunes with my iPhone in almost 6 years.

I figured there was a way, but I'm not a tech guy and just want my simplified products to behave in an easy to understand manner. Plug it in and a window pops up showing the folders on the hard drive is simple and easy to understand for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Modest Mauser posted:

You lot certainly have many strong opinions about toilets.

Not me. I took a dump in a cardboard box lid once, because I found out my friend was into scat stuff and wanted to watch/beat off.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
[quote="Melmac" post=""452373259"]

To expand on this, I absolutely love the design of bathrooms where you have no loving clue what's behind the door:

What's behind the door when you open it? An entire, gigantic bathroom full of numerous stalls, sinks, and urinals? Or a sole toilet by itself an embarrassed man or woman is currently pooping in right in front of you? :shrug: Open the door and find out! :D
[/quote]

I can't recall ever using a single occupancy restroom that didn't have a lock on the inside.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hobohemian posted:

I just noticed there's no toilet paper dispenser either. Do you gotta bring your own or what?

I believe that's one on the far left, so you just have to ask your dump buddy to spare a few squares.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

I.C. posted:

Is anyone here a plumber?

I'm not a plumber, but have lived in enough old houses that I probably know more than the layman.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

I.C. posted:

I ask because I have the same kind of (broken) sink as depicted in the OP:

It really is bad! How should I get the stopper out? It is stuck, and I think I just need to yank it out with pliers. Please advise.

If the u-trap is easily removed from the drain, as in it hasn't been screwed on way too tightly, I'd remove it and you can push the stopper up with your fingers. Then you don't run the risk of scratching the hell out of it with pliers.

Just in case you don't know, the u-trap is the pipe attached to the underside of your sink drain. There will be a large PVC ring at the top of it that you can turn counter-clockwise to loosen. There will be another one at the other end of the "u" on the pipe. Put a bucket or large pot under the pipe, because a bit of water will poor out!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Sheep-Goats posted:

It was like this in the US in the old days but we learned that the societal cost of the constant fatal car wrecks wasn't worth the convenience.

Also New Zealand has the total population of a busy WalMart, so it would understandably work better there.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Nubile Hillock posted:

With modern safety features you'd surely bring down the fatalities AND you'd keep the economy going by having people have to buy new cars all the time. I don't get what the hard part about slowing down and looking is, though, without having to come to a full and complete stop

Sure, it should be that easy. However, around here (Columbus, OH) every time the electricity goes out people treat stop lights like we're living in Mad Max times.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

OctoberBlues posted:

I have a really vivid memory of walking into a bathroom when I was a little kid, probably on vacation, and they had a row of toilets in the center of the room with no covering of any kind, then a row of urinals on one wall and sinks on the other. Has anyone seen that before? I'm wondering if my brain invented that memory because it seems kind of crazy, would have been in the US.

Saw that at a fetish bar I went to once, but never in a public place. Where were the toilet paper holders?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

mostlygray posted:

All the workers at the Elevator used it as a piss hole so that's what we did when I stopped by there. Maybe that wasn't it's original purpose, but that was it's use. It's not much different from a piss trough at a stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fli-EVXdjbY

In your defense, we had those exact urinals in my elementary school for the 1st through 4th graders, except they were a thick plastic material. Same foot pedal for "flushing"and everything. In 5th and 6th grade there were one-person restrooms in each classroom. A teacher told me as an adult that 5th grade was when boys started to find it funny to poo poo on the floors and seats, which was why they put one in each classroom.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Ballistic Anomaly posted:

Cooking while drunk or tired might be dangerous...

I posted in a different thread recently about an idiot co-worker who told about making a casserole for her kids and it being terrible, and discovering after dinner that she had used pledge instead of pam for the baking dish. Now it doesn't seem so stupid on her part.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Man resembling an asscrack is pretty failed design imo.

I don't know, it's been a pretty solid career move for David Boreanaz.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

you were warned posted:

Ohh, I've seen those. Somewhere, I don't remember where, but in the US. They make me so mad. Guys there's hot water right there why are you making me freeze my hands off :mad:

My first apartment, a WW2-era place, had those. Everything about that place was great (ornate flooring, high ceilings and loads of built-in cabinetry), but those sinks were a nightmare for handwashing, especially since the hot water came from a boiler in the basement, so the hot water was screaming hot.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Really, the old Polycons with all the buttons on one leg were just about a perfect a design as I could think of, I can't see any reason to wedge a touchscreen in there unless it's to look "cool".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Whole Internet posted:

stop pretending you own a tesla or know anyone who does (it's p obvious you're not the type of person important people would associate with)

It's sort of ludicrous to think that Teslas are only for important people. I'm not out and about much, and I see at least 2 every time I run to the store or work. There's one in my neighborhood even. If I head up to the mall or across town, I'm more likely to see half a dozen. There aren't that many important people in Columbus Ohio.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

gently caress da Mods posted:

Lol this guy ok man let me get you a sidekick

Most touchscreens I've used have left some to be desired, but the one on my phone is seriously top notch, maybe even too good, in the sense that it picks up the tiniest glancing brush.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Hah, this reminds me of my 03 Oldsmobile Alero. After a decade, direct sunlight would cause the instrument panel to short out for about 10-20 minutes after starting the engine. After one hot summer, the panel was permanently dead. No more speedometer, fuel gauge, engine temperature, battery warnings, nothing. Also no AC or heat. By that point I only used it for a short daily commute, and its easy to estimate how fast you should be going based on who's in front of and behind you. Judging the contents of the fuel tank were a bit trickier.

I'm surprised that car lasted as long as it did before the engine block and internal computer both went kaput. That was a good car (while everything worked)

I had an 03 Aurora for a while, and it had the sensors that would automatically turn the windshield wipers on if it detected water. There was no way to turn them off. So, on any muggy day, the wipers would go full speed the entire time the car was running, leading to me needing new wiper blades every few months.

My god. I just know that on the third time pulling the belt all the way out and letting it retract it would do that floppy thing where it goes halfway in and stops, and I'd have to start over.

The car I have now (a Fiat) has the seatbelt chime that never, ever goes off. I always wear my belt, but sometimes I'm just moving the car across a parking lot or driving out to the mailbox, and it makes me insane, because it's a particularly annoying chime.

EDIT:
Since people were talking about annoying automatic climate control in cars, I had a Nissan Maxima a few years ago that had the thing where you would set your temperature. I liked the concept, but I wanted it to work like a home's furnace does, in the sense where it gets the air up to a temperature and turns off, until it cools a bit. Instead, it would just constantly blow on high, but turn the air temp cooler and warmer as needed. It was impossible to drive for 45 minutes without getting chapped lips.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2015

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Melmac posted:

This got me thinking. Why the hell do headlights not automatically turn off when you take the key out of the ignition and close the doors? At least make "auto turn off" an option.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where I'd need the headlights on but I also need my keys out of the car.

When those first came out, the commercials would show that it was so you child get to your front door before they shut off, so your car could light the way.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Sheep-Goats posted:

I am not a big fan of the way Android answers calls and manages snooze vs silence alarm clock. You have to press in the middle of a circle and then two equally weighted icons (one of which your thumb is now obscuring) have to be slid to: one being the default option you want the other being the opposite of that. It used to be one big green icon in the middle for the thing you want and one small red icon in a corner for the other option.

Maybe they've changed it, because on my new Android phone you answer calls just like on an iPhone (slide the green to the right when it's locked, or just tap the green button if it's unlocked), and the snooze on the alarm is just a red button in the dead center of the screen that you slide in any direction you like.

Brosnan posted:

A better version of it is really common in Japanese households. Poop/pee in toilet, stand up, turn around, press flush plunger and rinse your hands in the sink that's built into the top of the tank, which will become the water for the next flush.

Actually a picture is easier, even if this is kind of a janky example:

This is what the toilets/sinks in jail look like, except they're all one piece, made from stainless steel and without the seat. Wish I didn't know that.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

did the other prisoners make fun of you for doing this or is it just a thing everyone does

E: well other guy who went to prison can answer now that you're banned apparently

I guess you mean me? I never saw anyone take a Butters dump, while drinking the water. You do drink a ton of water though. My skin has never looked so good. Really, you get your business done as quickly as possible, because (at least where I was) the toilet is just against one wall without any obstruction of view between you and the rest of the inmates. I was in one that was set up with about 12-20 inmates in two large rooms, one with the toilet and a bunch of steel bunkbeds, and the other with a TV behind some plexiglass and a bunch of concrete tables for eating/playing cards. The shower was next to the toilet and there was no curtain or anything, so your fellow inmates get to know you intimately.

Anyway, there is a fun rule about taking a dump in there, though. Since there's no seat, it's all just made from one piece of stainless steel, it provides a good seal on your rear end when you sit. So the rule is that when you're finished pooping, but before you wipe, you reach behind you and flush it. That way, no poop air escapes into the general area, it all gets sucked down the toilet.

There's a surprising amount of rules like that in there.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

therattle posted:

That's a good rule. Civilised. Tell us more please.

One more, but that's it, because I like this thread the way it is and I don't want to jack it.

Toilet paper is invaluable. You can't buy it from the commissary, and you only get 3 rolls between the 12-20 inmates in your "dorm" a day. That might seem like plenty, but it's the thinnest, singly ply toilet paper you've ever seen. Now, if they come in in the morning and there's still a roll left, you only get 2 that day. So, you have to hide that extra roll somewhere or on someone, so that you get three. Under the corner bunks, where it's not as easy to see, there was usually a good dozen rolls stashed, at least until someone does something wrong and they do inspections.

Uses for the extra toilet paper:

Coffee filter. You only get hot water in the shower for about 4 hours in the morning, and while you can buy grounds from the commissary, there's no machine available to make them in. Also, everyone has their own cup for water or whatever, and it's your cup from the time you get in until you're released. So, take a few cups and fill them with hot water, and put some grounds on a wad of toilet paper. Ball that up as much as possible and float in in a cup of hot water, making very strong coffee. That way, you pour a little out into your own cup, and add water. It's pretty weak, but it's amazing how much you crave stuff like coffee.

Padding out your pillow. You get one pillow, and it's about as thick as a crepe and made from vinyl. You can run one end seam against the metal corner of your bunkbed over and over until it splits open, and fill it with balled up toilet paper. A good comfortable pillow is important, because thanks to a few unfortunate incidents, they've done away with "lights out". Therefore, especially if you're on the top bunk, you've got a very bright fluorescent light about 4 feet above you that never shuts off.

Drying off after your shower. You only get one towel, which never gets washed and never gets replaced. Since you also only get one thin blanket and it's always freezing in there, most guys use their towels as an additional blanket, so you use toilet paper to dry off after a shower. Also, you rarely shower.

OK, that's it, no more threadjacking.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Seconding this because I want to hear more about the horrible hell-life that is prison for my own entertainment.

I'll give it a shot but it will be a few days until I have time to sir down to draft it up. I work long hours and Fallout 4 just came out, after all.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Darth123123 posted:

I have heated leather seats

I have heated and cooled leather, front and back.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I have never understood why American suburbs don't have shops amongst them. Why do people not convert homes/land into convenience stores and make a mint?

I read an article a while back talking about suburbs, and apparently they were originally planned and designed to be areas where people could live but have everything they'd need within walking distance. The idea was that there would be parks and large, open sidewalks, and the neighborhoods would be designed around convenient walking or bike riding to a grocery and school. This was in the 40's or 50's, though, and it's why sometimes when you're just outside of downtown in a city you see neighborhoods tucked away that look like this, because at the time they were built they were considered a suburb, but the city wound up enveloping them.

The reason that it all changed is that in more modern times, they've tried to cram as many houses as possible into a subdivision, which resulted in zero parks, no sidewalks and houses that are 6 inches apart and about a foot from the street. Mix this with lovely zoning, and the best a grocery can do is try to pick a location equidistant between several subdivisions, which results in them being convenient to none.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's also the best way for choosing porn. You open all the videos up in new tabs, then skim through them to see if any of them star someone you went to high school with, then close the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TheMostFrench posted:

The ones I hate are mini and micro USB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini_and_micro_connectors It is not always so easy to tell which way is up at a glance, and sometimes it will seem like it is going to fit at first even if you are putting it in the wrong way.

Can't wait until vendors come together and start building wireless charging into sofas and other stuff.

IKEA makes desks and end tables that are wireless chargers. Of course, that means that you have to have IKEA furniture, so it's not a perfect solution.

I don't really understand how wireless charging works, but would it be possible to make a suped-up one that could charge from several feet away? That way so long as you were in a certain part of your living room or inside your car it was charging?

• Locked thread