Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

it was not, almost all cases of translation of names or renaming that I’m aware of (as someone who defended my PhD thesis about Slavic immigration and cross Atlantic cultural connections) were done voluntarily by immigrants as a way of assimilating or leaving their previous life behind. isolated cases may certainly have existed but the vast majority of name changes that I’m aware of occurred after settling in America.

NoiseAnnoys has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

misspelling of names was common of course but that’s not what was being talked about.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Being a Slavic immigrant to the US myself, instead of giving my actual, complicated name at restaurants and such, I give the more manageable, shares-a-few-letters "Boris." It's a transactional event, so why bother.

What's funny is that it then becomes misheard as Morris.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trabant posted:

According to Max Miller -- for what the credibility of the "Tasting History" YouTube channel is worth, although he seems to do a decent amount of research -- the whole "Ellis Island clerk changing your name to sound more American" thing is largely a legend, or at best anecdotal, as there were no documents being issued there. All the immigration officials would do is compare people's names to the ships' registry as a means of checking the passengers were who they said they were. Changes in names (and the Americanization) happened after, when the immigration process would actually get underway.

Now, could some jackwagon clerk do that to you, intentionally or not, at some point? Of course. It just doesn't appear to have been all that common at Ellis specifically.
Huh! I guess family mythology lied! I bet we aren't even descended from Hercules.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Trabant posted:

Being a Slavic immigrant to the US myself, instead of giving my actual, complicated name at restaurants and such, I give the more manageable, shares-a-few-letters "Boris." It's a transactional event, so why bother.

What's funny is that it then becomes misheard as Morris.

table for Maurice, party of one.

there’s a ton of weird myths about late 19th and early 20th century us immigration that have some how become accepted as gospel truth and they don’t make sense at all once you learn how processing centers like Ellis island functioned.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I’m of Jewish descent. My family name supposedly came from my great great grandfather. When asked for his nonexistent last name, he said “I’m Leah’s kid”. So our last name essentially is just Leah’s kid in Yiddish, with a letter removed. Probably not true but it makes a good story.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

patronymics are common in a lot of cultures, ashkenazi Jewish culture included, and those often did get weirdly processed by the American immigration system.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

My family on both sides changed their last names after coming to Canada to sound more scottish instead of Jewish so they'd have a chance of getting a job. We weren't sure of my grandmother's actual birthday though for quite a while, since they didn't know what it was in the Gregorian calendar when they came over, so they just kind of guessed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Those gosh durn clerks at Ellis Island changed the family name!” is a bit like “we have a Cherokee princess in the family tree”.

Many immigrants voluntarily anglicized their names. Later generations got the idea that the family was proud and had always been proud of the old country. In their minds, corrupting the family name is incongruous with this, so the narrative is rewritten to take the decision out of great grandpa’s hands.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Guy Fieri at least owns that it was a family decision to anglicize the surname to Ferry, and he chose to change it back to Fieri in honor of where he came from.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Flavortown

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Città del sapore.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

table for Maurice, party of one.

He's a joker, that one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Many immigrants voluntarily anglicized their names.

This is what my family did that came here in the beginning of the 20th century. It still confuses people, but it’s easier to pronounce than it would have been otherwise.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nessus posted:

Huh! I guess family mythology lied! I bet we aren't even descended from Hercules.

They just said that to hide your family's deep, dark shame of being descended from Heracles.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It's been a few years since I was there but I'm almost positive Ellis Island has a whole exhibit refuting the name change myth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

500excf type r posted:

It's been a few years since I was there but I'm almost positive Ellis Island has a whole exhibit refuting the name change myth

It's going to stay alive forever thanks to Godfather Part 2.

Not nearly as bad as the myths that Gone With The Wind will continue to perpetuate

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

what alternative? having your birth name stay your birth name?

One alternative was being an Asian person trying to immigrate via angel island, which as I understand it was not a very pleasant experience.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
my dad's family probably emigrated in the 19th century but didn't anglicize their names, or stop speaking german at home, until wwii. even then only one side of the family did it and they did it specifically to break up with the other side of the family who were german-american bund nazi supporters. hell yeah pennsylvania

(i don't actually have the right to talk poo poo on pennsylvania, i never lived there myself)

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

Max miller ruined that part of my family’s history too. Prince Charming looking motha fucker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My family name is a Americanized mutation of a common French surname, but we didn't need no Ellis Islanders to gently caress it up. Instead they lived on the frontier in the 1700s and couldn't spell good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cat Wings posted:

My family on both sides changed their last names after coming to Canada to sound more scottish instead of Jewish

I'm gonna flip if it turns out you're Ashley MacIsaac

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hamish McGoldstein

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Is there really no truth to the Ellis island thing? My mom's side of the family came over from Russia in like 1904 and their last names end in -dig -dack -deck and -dick and no one knows which, if any, is correct. I doubt each family unit or whatever came with differently spelled immigration papers. Or know if they even had any.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I remember in elementary school one day they set up a kind of ellis island LARP in the gym we were supposed to go through as immigrants, where all the teachers sat behind stalls with gibberish names and yelled gibberish at us to simulate how none of us knew english, and we were roughly herded from place to place by other teachers pretending to be security. some of us got thrown in the fake jail

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It certainly doesn't have to be institutional to be endemic, one set of great grandparents changed their name from MacGregor to an anglicized name BC apparently community mistrust of Scots was a thing in interwar Australia for some reason?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I studied one Black family that moved to my area from Virginia in the 1800s, and their name was Bloxsom. Or Blaxsom. Or Bloxon. Bloxom. Blackson. Blacksum. Bloxsum. I can't even remember all the variants, but it was impressive. Bloxsom is what ended up on the graves of two of their children, but wowsers I wonder what the gently caress it was really supposed to be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Laopooh posted:

Is there really no truth to the Ellis island thing? My mom's side of the family came over from Russia in like 1904 and their last names end in -dig -dack -deck and -dick and no one knows which, if any, is correct. I doubt each family unit or whatever came with differently spelled immigration papers. Or know if they even had any.
Is this a case where there are multiple valid readings of the same Cyrillic name, aka the Gaddafi Effect?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Standardized spellings of everyday words wasn't a thing in written English for a long time. I suppose it's not that strange that spellings for names was also all over the place.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Borscht posted:

Max miller ruined that part of my family’s history too. Prince Charming looking motha fucker.

Can't stay mad at him though!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

NoiseAnnoys posted:

patronymics are common in a lot of cultures, ashkenazi Jewish culture included, and those often did get weirdly processed by the American immigration system.

It was for that whole patronym pattern that for years I thought the name Rothschild was Roths-child, i.e. child of Roth, instead of what it actually is Roth-schild, i.e. Red shield.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Platystemon posted:

People who make barrels are “coopers”, and people with the name “Cooper” are problematic.

But Tommy Cooper famously wore a silly red hat. Surely that absolves him of the crimes of his ancestors?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
We have a grand total of six examples of William Shakespeare's signature and he never spells his own name the same way twice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

canyoneer posted:

It's going to stay alive forever thanks to Godfather Part 2.

Not nearly as bad as the myths that Gone With The Wind will continue to perpetuate

Funny thing is in the original novel version of The Godfather, Vito changing his last name from Andolini to Corleone had been an intentional change on his part rather than how the film went with the Ellis Island myth, though I imagine more than anything that was a change done as it would be a simpler to show onscreen bit

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My dad and his two siblings came to the states between the late 70s and early 80s. They kept their last names, and I think both kept their OG first names but added an Anglicized one because it’d make their life easier. Kept it that way to this day.

My father, however, went through god knows how many changes.

I *think* he came over with his first name and his last name intact. At some point he completely nixed the last name, made a shortened version of his first name (like Christopher to Chris) his new last name, added Jake (and apparently John was in the mix for a while?) as his first. It was Jake [new last name] until after I was born I think, my sister and I both have [new last name] as our last names.

Then some time in the 90s, he decided to go with [new last name] as his entire name, a mononym.

Cool mononym fact: this is a logistical and bureaucratic nightmare for not just yourself, but for your family, especially your kids. Said kids will later grow up into adults who emigrated from the country you immigrated to, with very serious paperwork they have to get right. I was legit worried that I’d have issues becoming a citizen here because of my dad’s ~artistic flair~ (thankfully it worked out fine).

My dumb rear end accidentally changed my name when I moved here. My legal name in the US is my first and last name, maybe a middle initial on occasion. My name here? First and middle name as my entire first name, last name remains the same. I think I know how it happened but at this stage I can’t be bothered to change it to how it is in the US.

When I marry my partner, I intend to hyphenate my name, adding his Finnish last name to mine. There are umlauts, can’t wait to deal with the US and their ö-oe bullshit. Three goddamn ethnicities in one name, and now new letters :unsmigghh:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have a fairly standard first name and two last names, one of which is spanish and consists of two words, and one of THOSE has one of these ó in it. At some point the norwegian government added a hyphen somewhere in there, exactly where depends on which government agency you ask. And my sister somehow misspelled her own name enough times on official forms that the government just quietly changed her messed up norwegianlastname-spanishlastname to something wildly different from everyone else yet still hard to get right.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

my dad's family probably emigrated in the 19th century but didn't anglicize their names, or stop speaking german at home, until wwii. even then only one side of the family did it and they did it specifically to break up with the other side of the family who were german-american bund nazi supporters. hell yeah pennsylvania

(i don't actually have the right to talk poo poo on pennsylvania, i never lived there myself)

western pa, i'm guessing?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Nessus posted:

Is this a case where there are multiple valid readings of the same Cyrillic name, aka the Gaddafi Effect?

it would likely depend on which language you are speaking, since stress patterns fall differently in east slavic and south and east slavic has way more vowel reduction than people realize.

but even in west slavic names, lots of czech and slovak names got either anglicized differently because of phonemic vowel length, or different names were given the same anglicization (usually by stripping away diacritics) and pronunciation when they weren't related in the original language.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

western pa, i'm guessing?

lehigh valley? that's where the surviving relatives live now anyway. i don't know if that's where they lived previously actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

lehigh valley? that's where the surviving relatives live now anyway. i don't know if that's where they lived previously actually

also doesn’t surprise me, but i was mainly asking because the exact same thing happened in my hometown out in western pa.