Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hell yeah get him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hard to spell

:hai:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

(It's important to note that, so far as I'm aware, we have no recordings of the actual contents of the messages the two sides exchanged)

This is amazing. Matt Berry can look mildly offended like nobody on earth.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sucrose posted:

Dear British people, is there a reason, other than tradition, why your MPs speak to each other in Parliament using odd conventions that make the debate somewhat harder for laymen to understand?

It is apparently forbidden to say another MP’s name, they always gotta be referred to only by their job position or what district they represent instead.

It's supposed to calm things down and remove the temptation to just say 'You're a loving liar, you liar' all the time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Typical fae behaviour.

Which is good! Please don't come after me, local fae. I don't need that hassle.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Alhazred posted:

"Gjerde" is commonly used in Norway. We also have words like "tanngard", a fence made of teeth and "manngard", a wall made of men.

...when would you use those words please?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Borscht posted:

Max miller ruined that part of my family’s history too. Prince Charming looking motha fucker.

Can't stay mad at him though!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

We have a grand total of six examples of William Shakespeare's signature and he never spells his own name the same way twice.

Yeah, spelling in the Tudor / Elizabethan period in England was 'just do your best with how it sounds to you'. Seeing which words poets of the time apparently thought rhymed with each other is part of how linguists reconstruct the accent of the time, if I understand correctly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Edward Norton is a descendant of Pocahontas.

Well I'll be

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I am reminded of this guy from the 1640s with strong feelings about literary critics. Can't recall who, it was in the foreword of a book of travel stories I have.

'If thou beest a Villain, a Ruffian, a Momus, a Knave, a Carper, a Critick, a Bubo, a stupid Asse, and a gnawing Worme with envious Lips, I bequeath thee to a Carnificiall reward, where a hempen Rope will soon dispatch thy snarling slander, and free my toylesome Travailes and now painefull Labours, from the deadly Poyson of thy sharpe edged calumnies, and so goe hang thy selfe; for I neither will respect thy Love, nor regard thy Malice.'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

Eh, I give it a 4 out of 10 at best.

(USER LOSETH POSTYNG PRIVILYGES FOR FOUR AND TWENTY HOURS)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Chamale posted:

The treatment of animals is a historical horrifying fact. In early modern Europe, animals were considered to have no rights at all, and sports like bear-baiting and fox-tossing were popular. Children were given songbirds with broken wings as toys.

In the early 20th century, rabbits were used for pregnancy tests by injecting a woman's urine into them. After a day, the rabbit was killed and dissected, and if the woman was pregnant her hormones would make the rabbit's uterus swell up.

Hamsters can become pregnant from human sperm (with non-viable offspring), so this was a method of male fertility testing. Humster cells are still used in medical research today because they aren't covered by laws prohibiting human stem cell research.

Holy poo poo I learned something completely weird about hamsters

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Lobok posted:

Ok ok, calm down, Mr. Gere. Go get a paper bag if you're gonna get all hyperventilatey about it.

And now I *remembered* something completely weird about hamsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Offler posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the pardon was granted thanks to some brilliant rethoric by a simple, small town Burgundian lawyer.

Now Your Honour, can we say for certain that the child did not have bad vibes? Whomst among us has not rejoiced at the death of such a child? I rest my case.