Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

it's called the Mandela Effect & the old people have a website for it: http://mandelaeffect.com

Like for me, Mandela is a dude who came through insane isolation torture-prison, & became a president & is awesome – but there's apparently a bunch of (probably white?) people who think he died 20 years ago.

I mean I guess there's always room for another batshit insane conspiracy theory in my head but the dude literally met with multiple presidents and has been filmed a bunch of times post prison. It's just so stupid that you might as well give up and pretend everyone isn't who they appear to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

OH! I love this one too! I was just talking about it the other day!

The Phantom time poo poo is hilarious bullshit but if you're trying to counter it with something one of the Plinys said in your wikipedia article you might as well just admit you're attacking bullshit with other bullshit

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

But it's very easy to verify that a solar eclipse actually happened when Pliny (in this case) said it did. NASA's got that eclipse dated very accurately.

Goddamnit science

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So did Tintin have time travelling abilities or is this one of those central/northern European things where it's cool to portray the rest of the world as stereotypical savages in the 20th century

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

It's not always easy to distinguish real historical facts from a G.I.Joe cartoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Tank

I don't care the practicality of it, seeing a swarm of those things headed towards you would be a def poo poo your pants moment

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Walt Whitman and Oscar Wilde used to make out on the reg

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty sure that was part of Caesar's memoirs, so take it with a grain of salt. He liked to exaggerate things, but nobody else witnessed the events or wrote any of it down, so who's to say if it is true or not?

It's been brought up several times before but this is literally all of roman or Greek or Chinese etc history if it's only mentioned by one source. People tend to bandy around personal accounts or outright political slander as gospel from those time periods without considering they're essentially the ancient equivalent of the National Enquirer

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Morty! Morty, you gotta :beeellch: strangle that manatee, Morty. You gotta kill it real good. We're not getting through that lightning nebula without it.

Oh jeez, Rick. I dunno that I can stab this thing with this pugio! It's at least a few hundred years outdated from the gladius

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

That's the Finnish sniper bear that killed half of nazi Russia with a crossbow right?

He also hosed Catherine the Great to death after she rode him through town naked to warn about the British

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ibn Fadlan's full of crap, I asked for his journal/memoirs about interacting with vikings etc in the 8th century and he's talking about finding corpses of giants and snakes as big as trees and stuff. Now I'm not even sure I can believe the standard minutae of middle eastern/viking life from around that time period

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Fwiw he was right about us being gross as hell.

I'm still gonna finish it but between that stuff and the "everyone is somehow fascinated by Islam and is weirdly in love with it because it's the correct religion" stuff every 10 or so pages it's more of a slog than I was expecting

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Powaqoatse posted:

Haha, that looks like it's supposed to be a sexy lady bathing suit. I wonder what the reasoning for that cut was.

For some reason I was reminded of this photo from a 1909 men's beauty contest in Denmark (:nws:)

http://i.imgur.com/uCJKF0E.jpg

Lmao loving that you obviously didn't need to be naked but most dudes decided to anyway. Kudos

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Smiths were actually mainly shoe cobblers

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How exactly woukd you go about selling uranium that isn't through a crazy black market

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Pushkin, a great Russian poet, hid in a closet in his childhood to observe the visit of a poet he admired. He expected the poet to say something profound, but the poet just asked where the bathroom was.

Never meet your heroes.

The dude literally just came over to use their bathroom? How long was this visit planned in advance?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

And migration was only accepted as fact when someone in Africa tried to kill a stork: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeilstorch

So they knew how to identify an arrow from central Africa but had no idea storks could go there?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Nerds posted:

Questionable etymology itt

Welcome to probably around half of the thread

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So basically it evened out and everything's good

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

value-brand cereal posted:

I think this is neat! Seawater is the secret to long-lasting Roman concrete. Well, not sea water. It's a little more complicated than that.
http://www.nature.com/news/seawater-is-the-secret-to-long-lasting-roman-concrete-1.22231

Why is Pliny the Elder, one of the most full of poo poo historians ever, being used as a source about anything scientific

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

Today I learned that when you see a coat of arms with a heraldic animal unusually wearing a helmet or something similar it means that the bearer of that coat of arms hosed up sometime during the past and received that “covering“ or “cloaking“ (German Verkappung) as punishment.

Prenzlau received the covering by its lord, the prince-elector of Brandenburg, after opening its gates to Pomeranian troops in 1425.

Ústí nad Labem/Aussig got its punishment for letting Hussites live in the city.

I thought different colors and styles of helmets regardless of where they're placed just denoted rank or social position? Like an opened helmet would mean elite royalty and closed were lower royalty or something like that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh definitely, it's insane how easily they'll give out gently caress-your-life-up drugs for minor pains.

For something a little more on-topic, here's a story that should strike fear into any history nerd's heart:

How Collecting Opium Antiques Turned Me Into an Opium Addict

I got OxyContin for an ear ache a few years back which was cool cause although I actually did have an ear infection I was just trying to use it to get drugs

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Leaf Insects are a family of insects that can be found throughout south Asia and Australasia:

They are pretty amazing examples of animal camouflage, and when I was reading about them I thought (what is probably) the first European account of them was really charming. It's from Antonio Pigafetta, one of the eighteen men who survived Magellan's circumnavigation of the globe in the 1500's:

That is awesome. Leaf insects are so cool

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zesty Mordant posted:

Interesting, too, that he doesn't even connect it with being an insect at all. It's just An Alive Leaf.

People were really loving dumb in the past but I'd bet he was just exaggerating like most old school explorers to make his experience seem more impressive

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Nipples posted:

The person I quoted just sounded like they were following the idea that people in the past were stupid and became less stupid over time when in reality we know more than we did in the past which has nothing to do with intelligence.

By the way this thread is pretty great so thanks everyone.

It was a joke post where I was exaggerating our ancestors stupidity for comedic effect

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Nipples posted:

Trump's face makes me angry, that's my excuse.

I didn't buy this dumb rear end thing for myself but this is my life now I guess

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

They also thought ants were literally demons and while I don't agree with their rather unfavorable view of cats I think they might have a point on the ant front.

look what I found:
http://www.zoroastriankids.com/

I wasn't expecting Zoroastrian kids to all look lilly white tbh

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

What am I expected to sacrifice to this vehicle

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Aren't black cats good luck in England?

England hates orange cats for whatever weird rear end reason

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Nothing it's a mazda.

It'll sacrifice itself to oxizidation in a tenth of the time of other cars

I actually drive a Mazda 3 is this a real thing :smith:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

The first gen 3 is notorious for premature body panel rust, especially above the rear wheel wells. Not sure about frame rust.

oh well mine is not that

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

The population on the island was also so small they ended up with a bunch of genetic problems, including blonde fur.

A lot of giant/interesting species lasted for a long way into recorded history. Giant (although more like pig-sized than elephant-sized) ground sloths remained in the Caribbean until around 2700 BC, New Zealand's giant bird based ecosystem was around until the Maori showed up around 1250 AD, and Madagascar had a lot more big animals (including gorilla-sized lemurs) until humans arrived 350 BC-500 AD, and elephant birds possibly survived on the island into the 17th century AD.

Do you know of any interesting links detailing these? I've never heard of them before and I'd like to

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

TNA does it again!

Lol

The Browns

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I can't even imagine how skunked that beer had to have been

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

funmanguy posted:

then you're halfway in?

lol

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pidan posted:

Heads are very heavy, which is why i ancient China they would allegedly collect ears off the fallen, which is allegedly why the Chinese character for "fetch" is an ear next to a hand: 取 (ear 耳 left, hand 又 right, 耳 still means ear, 又 means something else nowadays).

I'm not fully convinced that it's not the case some historian just saw the character and got inspired.

I never understood what the bar wanted with the ears Hellcat Maggie brought to the bar in Gangs of New York. Presumably she was taking out people for Bill the Butcher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAiif-W04Ig

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
She was a real person too, as a neat little fact, and wore brass fingernails and had filed down teeth to gently caress people up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell-Cat_Maggie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Google app that finds your art doppelganger.
Oops.

haha ouch