Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Samovar posted:

That's a very to-the-point name,

A more direct translation is Geirmund Hell-skin or Geirmund Death-skin.

Which is more metal but somewhat problematic by modern standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Old Norse Nicknames.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some interesting historical or semi-historical Icelanders with nicknames:

-Önundur tréfótur (Önundr Pegleg)
Settled in Iceland in the late 800s after being on the losing side of a war against Haraldur hárfagri (Harold Fair-hair). Called so because he became maimed in battle and had to rely on a wooden leg after that though he was reportedly "the bravest and most agile one legged man in Iceland.".

Great-grandfather to the saga hero and vampire slayer Grettir sterki (Grettir the Strong).

-Geirmundur heljarskinn (Geirmund Helskin).
The son of Hjör king of Hordaland and his concubine Ljúfvina the daughter of the king of Bjarmia. His nickname comes from the fact that he had unusual facial features for a Norseman and quite dark skin. It is likely that his mother was Samoyedic. Due to being the son and grandson of kings he is often said to have been the most noble of the settlers.

-Þórir þursasprengir (Þórir Giantexploder).
It is unknown how Þórir got his nickname but his son was reportedly some sort of monster fighter, as a sidegig from being a blacksmith, and is said to have killed a witch who was disguised as a water filled bullskin by stabbing her with a iron stake.

Others include:
Ljótur óþveginn (Ljótur the Unwashed), Gils skeiðarnef (Gils Spoon Nose), Eyjólfur ofsi (Eyjólfur the Furious), Þórir dúfunef (Þórir Pidgeon Nose), and Þengill mjögsiglandi(Þengill Sails-a-lot).

Note that the old meaning of "Ljótur" is light or bright but the modern meaning is ugly making his name even more unfortunate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

One of my ancestors was called the Herring Throttler. As the story goes he was an officer and when one of his soldiers didn't do as he said he stuck a herring down his throat.

Your ancestor invented the Danish language.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Personally if the cost of government that isn't actively racist and constantly working against the interest of the working class is a bit of authoritarianism I'd take that over any ineffective but freely elected democracy.

Which in my experience are usually racist and working against the working class if only by inaction.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'd never support any revolution whose first act wouldn't be to detain and execute me as a dissent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think that was at least used to justify the superstition that Jews had horns.

But even by that logic it doesn't really work because if Jews in general had horns you'd think the Bible would mention it more often seeing as like 90% of the people in the Bible are Jewish.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are Gothenburgers just reverse Scanians?

because the Scaniards don't say R at all. It's like they're speaking Swedish with a Danish Accent

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Penis of Hydrogen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The obvious solution to this is to have the shoegifts be delivered by 13 ogres each of which has its own gimmick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Philippe posted:

Steal the yule lads from Iceland, they can give you gifts

Which would be a bit of an oroburos because the Yule Lads didn't give gifts until the late 20th century when Icelandic fishermen landing their catch in Rotterdam came home with tales about how the Hollanders had their kids put shoes in windows to get gifts from a saint around Christmas. So they took it back home and slotted the Yulelads into the same role, thankfully without any Blackface.

Before that they were at best mischievous pranksters and thieves and at worst childsnatching monsters going back to the 17th century.

In a Danish decree on education and religion from 1746 Icelanders were forbidden from frightening their children with"såkaldte julesvend eller spögelser" ("so-called Yulelad or ghosts")

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Nisse is a burialmound dweller.

He's basically a jolly barrow wight.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Dec 2, 2023

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zudgemud posted:

. Germany is historically the place for Protestant/Catholic bordergore,

They had a war about that. It lasted for a few years.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 14:57 on Feb 13, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

WendyO posted:

Sweet, any hot stories about how strong Hitler's dick game was?

Comparing Castro to Hitler feels like comparing the Killdozer guy to Timothy McVeigh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Dutch never brutally murdered a mayor and ate his torn remains like a pack of ravenous beasts.

Don't be silly.

The Dutch brutally murdered a Prime Minister and ate his torn remains like a pack of ravenous beasts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nessus posted:

German was definitely a common scientific language before, oh, I want to say the mid 1930s?

Once in college I had to back out of writing a paper on the Teutonic Order and the northern crusades because literally all the sources I could find were in German and my German is poo poo.

It was like being transported back to 1920 when you had to write in German or be irrelevant

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The old Norse name for Istanbul/Constantinople is Mikligarður or Great (as in large) Fence .Kiev was Kænugarður or Ship Fence.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Falukorv posted:

can "gard" still mean fence in icelandic? the swedish cognate means yard/garden/farmstead nowadays.

Using it for fence is very antiquated in Icelandic and only used in sayings like "að ráðast ekki á garðinn þar sem hann er lægstur" which translates as "Not attacking the wall/fence where it's the lowest" which is used when someone is doing or trying something very ambitious. As well as "Fara fyrir ofan garð og neðan" "to go over and under the wall/fence" for when something goes over someone's head.

Modern icelandic for fence is "girðing".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Città del sapore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hamish McGoldstein

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I mean sure but shops not being open Sunday is literally a throwback to a time when Christian religious practices determined government policy in many countries and it's dumb

Compromise:
Have all stores closed on Wednesdays.

No exceptions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You can't measure monarchs in metric because it's an inherently republican system of measurement.

Similarly nothing anti imperialist can be measured in the imperial system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fun fact:
The supposed wooden teeth were mostly human teeth forcibly pulled from his slaves.