Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That's a bingo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kanine posted:

god some of the comments on the facebook feed and that video are so disgusting

Tell me about it.

Uh, history fact... Do you know how lots of historical documents talk about baker's who cheated their customers by cutting their bread with plaster/other inedible powders? Turns out, most of them were just heresay. How do we know? People tried to bake bread made to the specifications indicated and the loaves just fell to pieces.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Grem posted:

Marie Antoinette was curious just how hard the average life of a French citizen was. She had a little village built so she can stroll around and see what it was like to be a poo poo poor Frenchman. Instead of, say, going outside the palace walls, she walked around and observed servants pretending to bake bread with huge smiles on their faces.

They were all executed for many reasons.

Also, at the baptism of the last Dauphin, he managed to do as babies do and partake in a fecal explosion. Dye artists made a shade of brown based off of the incident.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

There was a play written in Britain, entitled: Sodom, or the Quintessence of Debauchery, which in it's first scene sums up the plot of the play by having the King of Sodom, Bolloximian, declare: 'I do proclaim, that buggery may be used o'er all the land, so oval office be not abused.' You can find the rest of it here.

I wonder why it isn't taught in schools alongside Shakespeare?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

Also his children are super ugly.

(Count Ingolf of Rosenborg and Princess Elisabeth of Denmark)

(Count Christian of Rosenborg)

I bet the monarchy would've been abolished real quick if Ingolf was about to be crowned.

JESUS loving CHRIST.

I thought the British Royal family were bad...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

On the subject of Proto-fascism/nazism, did you know that the first fascist party in Britain was founded by a lesbian? Roth Orman was an avowed anti-communist and anti-internationalist, but lost her political funding (from her Mum), because of rumours re. her sexuality and drug habits.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Peanut President posted:

it was a yolk, friend

Looks like the yolk's on us! We've really got egg on our faces!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Free Market Mambo posted:

I speak Finland-Swedish with an American accent. When I go to Stockholm they treat me like a very special boy.

That's, uh... That's not because of the accent.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Harrowing history

Yowza. That's some heavy poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Edit: Nah, unfunny joke.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

No, it’s related to a terrible JRPG some dude tried to plug in Games that was named “Thermidor” although it took place in another month before the revolutionary regime even changed the names.

Christ, that was a shitshow.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

CommunityEdition posted:

The only proper conclusion to the podcast would be for Mike Duncan to overthrow a government during a live episode

Don't spoil the ending!!!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's only two and a half boxes of Peter Vella. Promachus is a lightweight.

Well, in fairness to the Greeks, we don't know just how alcoholic their wine was undiluted. Or we may do, there may be come historical records indicating their proof - but I don't have it readily to hand.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

bony tony posted:

Semla is fuckin delicious and I'll fight anyone who says different

I will be your second for any duels.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ooh! We're talking about duelling? Than allow me to share one of my favorite incidents, the duel between William Adam and Charles James Fox; I added the wiki link to the latter for he is the more interesting of the two, and also it is needed to get an idea of his appearance - specifically, how goddamn fat he was.

Anyway, around 1787, Fox accused Adam of supplying British forces in the war against the American colonies with inferior quality gunpowder. Adam, responded with a demand for a duel. Fox approached this very nonchalantly; on the day, he was advised to turn his body so he wouldn't be firing head-on against Adam, so as to provide a smaller target. Fox replied along the lines that, given his corpulence, frankly, it wouldn't matter if he was head-on or in profile. Shots were exchanged, Fox missed, but Adam hit; however, the wound was not fatal, the reason being, as Fox later asserted, because Adam was using the gunpowder he was supplying the British army with.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Eat the rich Render the rich down for candles

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

So they were mostly cursing women and retail workers, huh? Some things never change.

I remember reading a book on the folk history of vampires/revenants and one thing that jumped out was the fact that vampirism wasn't spread by being bitten, but due to a range of possibilities; if you weren't baptized, if you were a Muslim, a bandit, etc. but my particular favourite, from Bulgaria, if I recall, was if you were a 'dishonest barmaid'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A satisfactory picture from history:

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1153127915669872640

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

He also managed to kill 3 people while operating on 1 person.

I know of Robert Liston killing three people in one go, how did Lister manage it?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: So this is purely a speculation but someone migrating to US or Canada might americanize their name from Härkonen to Harkone, since it is easier to say for the locals. Atreidas, unfortunately does not mean anything in Finnish, but if you need to grasp the straws, "atrain" is Finnish for the trident and fishermen tool you use to catch stuff.

see https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrain

I believe that's because Atriedes is from Greece; i.e. ancestors of Atreus.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way I figure is that they probably have pots for poopin in when necessary but sailors just find it more convenient to poop over the side when they're already out there.

Yeah, just be wary of doing that if the Captain has seized mystical seashells from the Formosan travelers tho.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

People were real stupid about invasive species for a shockingly long time. For example the european starling was introduced to America in 1890 because those admiring the works of Shakespeare wanted to see all the birds mentioned in his creations represented in North America. It is estimated that the starling causes damages worth 800 million dollars each year.

See also rabbits in Australia.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

During an excavation in London archaeologists found a bunch souvenir styluses from ancient Rome that had humorous inscriptions on them:

One of the inscriptions has been translated to "I went to Rome and all I got you was this stylus".

Can I have the source for that, please? Not disbelieving you, just want to see it proper.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

"Johnny Bigtime"

Jack 'Big Wins' Basilton.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Absent friends [Natives]

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminds me of the board game Agricola, which is about being a subsistence farmer in some very vaguely-defined Middle Ages-ish period.

And here I was hoping it was about making refreshing carbonated beverages for farmers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Avocado looks like it should mean something in Latin by accident, and I've always been disappointed that it very nearly doesn't. The closest is avocabo (I will call away) or avocando (by means of the calling away).

I always liked the name of the Brazilian stray cat adopted by an office for social help; Advogato.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sulla Faex posted:

Even eating one barrel seems too much, mustard or no

Oh, you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In the book De Medicina the author Aulus Cornelius Celsus described how roman doctors restored the foreskin for jews who wanted to look roman:
:nws: https://imgur.com/kmSwzTb

oof

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's with the ladles though?

Eh, it ain't nobodies business but the Turks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fish of hemp posted:

Grim and dark reboot of the Jönssonliga mythos.

Lysande, Fishan!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Before they perfected the technique, it was a real pain in the rear end.

Very good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Piss Meridian posted:

what kind of a moron prepars game meat as steak tartare

Well...

...Nazis.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dang it, I had something in this very thread earlier about duelling iirc.

Edit: Found it:

Samovar posted:

Ooh! We're talking about duelling? Than allow me to share one of my favorite incidents, the duel between William Adam and Charles James Fox; I added the wiki link to the latter for he is the more interesting of the two, and also it is needed to get an idea of his appearance - specifically, how goddamn fat he was.

Anyway, around 1787, Fox accused Adam of supplying British forces in the war against the American colonies with inferior quality gunpowder. Adam, responded with a demand for a duel. Fox approached this very nonchalantly; on the day, he was advised to turn his body so he wouldn't be firing head-on against Adam, so as to provide a smaller target. Fox replied along the lines that, given his corpulence, frankly, it wouldn't matter if he was head-on or in profile. Shots were exchanged, Fox missed, but Adam hit; however, the wound was not fatal, the reason being, as Fox later asserted, because Adam was using the gunpowder he was supplying the British army with.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Nov 28, 2020

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Same thing with early TV makeup - and even after colour TV appeared, lots of shows used very garish and unrealistic makeup so details wouldn't be lost on black and white sets.

http://cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/max-and-the-tube.php

It's why Frankenstein's monster is usually associated with being green in colour - 'cause that was the body paint that made him look palest with black and white.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

It's a very Canadian name

He was a member of some weird, Christian poly-sex-cult thing (who now make silverware, iirc), and was so disliked that his nickname was Charles 'Get-out'.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Man no wonder he killed a President, you gotta be a next-level incel to not be getting any in the polygamist orgy cult.

The episode on him and Leon Czołgosz by the History Honeys gives a pretty good overview.

Basically, he was like a real-life Ignatius J. Reilly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

it was intentional

See also the idea that during the Bengal famine people in charge of the Raj thought it would be a marvelous time to illustrate how a free market would supply food to the most poverty stricken areas the most efficiently. On an entirely unrelated note, up to 35 million people potentially died from the famines in India under British rule, we can't say for certain because of a systematic, deliberate operation of the British government during the 60s and 70s to destroy all documents relating to British colonial practices - see Operation Legacy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah, the old "Charles XII". Time-honoured Swedish tradition.

Better than the 'Adolph Fredrick' tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Since we're on Scandinavian monarchies, shall we bring up Christian VII of Denmark, who had a mistress called 'Bootie'?

Anne Cathrine Benthagen was so called because it was likely her parent/s were shoemakers, and so it might be more accurate to say her nickname is translatable to 'little boot's, but Bootie is funnier than Caligula.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Mar 12, 2021