Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

probably already removed from wikipedia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

I've read that 50% would have been the expected contemporary rate with a skilled 'physician' but I can't recall my source at the moment - odds weren't great in any case.

Surgical castration using methods that can described as a single stroke makes perfect sense though. In a time before anesthesia surgeons felt that taking too long to operate was a form of barbaric cruelty since the patient would be aware of every little cut and movement (not to mention the medical implications of the patient going into shock) and medical practitioners were encouraged to work as quickly as possible. Working fast also limited exposure to pathogens and the like. There's that factoid lately floating around on the net of the surgery with a 300% mortality rate. In his haste to perform a speedy amputation a surgeon sliced into his assistant's fingers, leading his death, the death of the patient from the botched amputation and the death of someone nearby via heart attack/horror. That surgeon wasn't particularly incompetent either, to the contrary, he was very good by the standards of the time.

wouldn't want to be cruel to the men you're castrating.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cash crab posted:

I can't stop laughing about how jewy his eyes look.

Wow.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Doffen posted:

The attack delayed the Germans taking Oslo for about 24 hours, allowing the royal family and the government to flee the city, and also provided the bank of Norway with enough time to transport nearly 50 tons of gold out of the Nazi's reach.

so everything important escaped

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I always wondered why people didn't just cook with seawater if they lived anywhere near the coast

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I learned reading Bill Bryson's excellent At Home: A Short History of Private Life that good black paint wasn't available until the late industrial age. All those period pictures with Victorians walking around in front of black-painted iron railings? All wrong! Might as well have cavemen riding dinosaurs in the background.
Wouldn't they be naturally black wrought iron?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

I hear you like to have race-themed breakdowns in DnD

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lol yes let me just defend myself to you, Cumslut1895. Here in the PYF Historical Fun Fact thread.

fun historical fact: Slavery good?!?!?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Prep The Bull (the one banning eating horse meat)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Infyrno posted:

Username/post

I imagine penguin would be very oily

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

According to the author, Kentaro Miura, Guts from Berserk wasn't inspired by Götz.

Boo! Boo this man!

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hogge Wild posted:

medieval conscripts are a myth

Medieval Rulers Did Nothing Wrong

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One posted:

Without potatoes Matt Damon would have died on Mars.

he also had a big ol' bottle of multivitamins

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: counter-factuals: I'm sure there must be some folks in this thread who will find this amusing.

alter-factuals

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

Considering racism and slavery were a key part of the discussion...

well, at least we know they weren't falsely accused.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah but they probably had some weak poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABhyKEK-CDg

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I thought the entire thing was completely apocryphal. Even losing 150 men to blue on blue crime speaks to remarkable incompetence.

No one ever wants to talk about blue-on-blue crime

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Plus he also did all that ethnic cleansing.

So that's a plus.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to look up the French president who died while getting blown by his mistress and found his Wikipedia page (shorter than expected, considering that I imagine the President of France would have been quite important in world politics in the 1890s, but there's probably not the sources in English): Félix Faure.

It included this amusing factoid:

That's pretty godamn french

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Historical_Video.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Prize Winner posted:

i'm just kind of imagining a different world where Sol Invictus or the Mithra cult won

Check out the new MMDCCLXXI Tetragrammatron Jesus! Optional all-wheel drive, stow and go seating, and front and rear climate control available on selected vehicles.

prepares thursday roast beef