Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Huh, so "a bag of dicks" is a thing that has actually existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Hitlerine is the worst mouthwash.

He didn't even use it either, his oral care routine was Walther-based

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The hobbit queen

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

For reference: People were short as hell in the olden tymes. I know Victoria was a bit later than this, but some time ago I went through the conscription rolls for my hometown, and in 1802 the average height of adult males was 62.45 zealandic inches; these are slightly longer than imperial inches, being 1/24th of zealandic alen (62.81 cm), which is 2.62 cm, whereas 1 imperial inch is 2.54 cm.

So: Adult males in my hometown were in 1802 on average 1.63 m or ~5'4.5" imperial.

You can really tell when you walk through doorways in old houses

This is true but it's sometimes overstated, especially with beds or suits of armor. European beds of a certain era were shorter because they slept weird in them, sort of half-sitting up and not fully reclined. Some suits of armor you see in museums that are small were made for noble kids or teens as training wheels. They're in good shape because they weren't ever used in combat. Turns out a lot of armor used by knights are made for big, athletically built dudes that wouldn't look out of place on a modern football pitch.

Height has some environmental factors, especially childhood nutrition and disease exposure. Columbus noted that the Taino he encountered on the Antilles were all really tall and healthy looking. Plains Indians were also real tall, due to a plentiful and diverse diet. Definitely not the case if you're a subsistence farmer who had a few lean winters during your formative years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

The modern day North Korean guards at the DMZ are also noticeably smaller than their South Korean counterparts and that split is less than 80 years ago. And probably both countries send their best, most imposing dudes to that job. So it definitely is nutrition and harshness issue.

Also, American/European dudes tend to impose both of them, so there are also some genetics involved, possibly?

Genetics are absolutely a factor too.
Korea is a good example because all the old women you see walking around South Korea look TINY. Probably has something to do with being a kid during periods of war and extreme famine.

Here's a good source of data about human height over time
https://ourworldindata.org/human-height

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The late Sudanese American basketball player Manute Bol was 7'7". He says his great grandfather was 7'10" :eyepop:

quote:

Bol came from a family of extraordinarily tall men and women. "My mother was 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m), my father 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m), and my sister is 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)", he said. "And my great-grandfather was even taller—7 ft 10 in (2.39 m)." His ethnic group, the Dinka, and the Nilotic people of which they are a part, are among the tallest populations in the world. Bol's hometown, Turalei, is the origin of other exceptionally tall people, including 7 ft 4 in (2.24 m) basketball player Ring Ayuel

At one point, he was the tallest NBA player ever, but another has since edged him out by 1/4 inch.
He is however, the only known NBA player who has killed a lion with a spear, and will probably hold that record forever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ever wondered how you poop on a sailing ship? Not on the poop deck, that's for sure (that comes from French word for the stern of the ship, la poupe)

Nope, you go to the front of the ship (the head), bring a friend with you (or tell someone), climb over the front rail, drop trou and poop in the sea while holding onto the side of the ship or some rope.
There is no toilet paper, but there IS a strategically placed length of rope dragging in the ocean that you can haul up and use the wet end to clean up. Hope you don't have to go in bad weather, because it's a little dangerous even in calm seas.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The book Robinson Crusoe was based off the real story of Alexander Selkirk, a Scottish sailor and privateer who was marooned on the Juan Fernandez islands for 4 years and 4 months.

There was a sizable population of feral goats on the island, left there by sailors long ago. He would chase them and kill them for meat and skins.
Also, he had sex with the goats. This was not included in the book Robinson Crusoe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

banging 30-50 feral hogs

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

For real? I googled "alexander selkirk goatfucker" and found nothing.

I read it in a book last night. Shipwrecked by Evan Balkan, got it from a Humble book bundle.

quote:

He fashioned tools, became adept at catching goats—some of them for fornication, others for food and pelts.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Wipfmetz posted:

Btw: please do not confuse "dutch" with "deutsch" on the internet. Thank you.

It's like elves. You have Forest Germans (Germans), Mountain Germans (Swiss, Austrians), Swamp Germans (Dutch), and Frost Germans (Scandinavian).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Where does that leave the Danes?

edit:
By which I mean, it seems that Danes are swamp-Germans, but also Scandinavians?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

One of the Spanish words for pet is "mascota" :3:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

hard counter posted:

edward vii was the one with the sexsled no-one's 100% sure on how it was supposed to work

Me neither, but I'm willing to do some research

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: When the platypus was discovered people realized that it was anatomically built to lay eggs but they had yet to find an egglaying platypus. The solution was to shoot platypuses en masse to find one with eggs. In 1884 William Hay Caldwell arrived in Australia and hired 150 aboriginals to kill every platypus they could find. Finally Caldwell managed to shoot one platypus that had just laid an egg and had another in it's cervix.

Victorian science, ladies and gentlemen.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Most cheeses and yoghurts are cultured, i.e. a useful microorganism does most of the work of turning the milk/cream into the finished product. Lactose is good food for bacteria (that's what happens with lactose intolerance: if you can't process it in the small intestine, it passes into the large intestine, where your intestinal microbes use it to go on a massive bender instead), so the bacterial culture eats the lactose and excretes delicious flavour. Since the sensitivity is to lactose specifically, not casein or other milk components, this makes it comparatively safe to eat.

Note that this doesn't apply to uncultured cheeses (paneer, haloumi) or yoghurts (some mass-produced yoghurts are made with gelling/flavouring agents rather than bacterial cultures and still have all their lactose) -- those are just as unsafe as drinking the milk straight.

Cream also has less lactose than the milk it's made from, since it has proportionally more fat (which does not contain lactose). Butter has much less, for the same reason.

The easy way to remember it is that because of genetic lactase persistence, white people did not need to develop a culture.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

I used to work with a really nice guy from Quebec. Obviously, he spoke french, and also english to a certain extent, but definitely not fluently. Anyway, he was working as a french language games tester, so it was playing through stuff in french and logging any issues with the translation. His bugs kept getting sent back by the translators as technically correct but only in extremely old-fashioned french, not modern french from France. So yeah, my understanding is that québécois french retains both vocabulary and grammatical rules that haven't been common use in french from France in a long time. It's pretty cool.

I don't recall which thread it was, but someone was saying that the Norwegian and Danish languages have very similar vocabulary but that their pronunciations diverged in the 19th century. As a consequence, to a Norwegian speaker, modern Danish rap sounds like Charles Dickens rapping to English speakers.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

for future reference, swamp germans are the dutch. norwegians are mountain apes.

danes are potato something, i forgot

I thought everyone north were Frost Germans

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Raven Rock is insane.

It's a good place to hide from the CORVID-19

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure one of the universal things in history is soldiers being idiots.

Soldiers complain that their leadership is incompetent, stupid, and don't understand what's really happening. Leadership says the troops are too dumb to make their own decisions and need to be micromanaged to keep them from doing really foolish things.

Somehow, both are simultaneously correct.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Modern History TV is a youtube channel with a charming British fellow doing quick 5-10 minute bits on how people used to live in the medieval period.

One of the episodes which youtube just radomly recommended to me was about hoods. Now that sounds like the least interesting thing in the world, but it covered the origins of the chaperon, which the more astute nerds will recognise as the incredibly stupid looking hat worn by Roche in the Witcher series.

The less astute nerds, like myself, will simply be astounded that it was a real loving hat people actually wore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvEK6d9hEM

It is also the origin of the word "chaperone", because you'll never get laid while wearing that dumb hat.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Red Bones posted:

A fun game I like to play is looking up words on etymonline dot com to see which English words I can find with the most obscure roots outside of the standard French/Latin/Germanic. Fun ones I have found so far are trousers (Gaelic), haggard (unknown, pos. Finnish term for an old horse via Danish or Dutch), yoghurt (Turkish), kudos (Greek), and harridan (French, unknown origin, possibly just referred to one specific person that people really didn't like).

On a similar note, I'm also studying German at the moment and it's interesting how, in line with the scale of German immigration to the US, how many of the differences between US and UK English involve US English having more commonalities with German. E.g. use of words like "kaput", "gerkin" instead of "courgette", more widespread use of "auto-" when referring to cars (.e.g. "auto industry").

"Jerky" is a Quechua root. So is puma, quinoa, condor, and guano.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Atari was putting out games with no thought for quality assurance, and people ended up being like "This is trash, gently caress video games."
E.T. the Extraterrestrial is the most notorious of these flops.
This led to Nintendo promoting its "Seal Of Quality" feature on games not only produced in-house, but also from third parties.
And nowadays we have AAA rated titles from companies worth billions.
But for a while in the 80's, the world came very close to just scrubbing video games altogether.

Years ago when I was working retail I sold shoes to an old dude who worked at Atari back on the day and was present at the landfill when the zillion copies of E.T. were famously interred.
It was perhaps the only time being extremely online ever did anything good for me in my life.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Alhazred posted:

If you were a really lovely musician in the middle ages you could be forced to wear the flute of shame:

The device would be fastened to your neck and your fingers would be clamped down to the keys. You were then paraded through town so that people could throw various vegetables at you.

Somebody prophesied the world would treat me poorly
For I am not the sharpest pitchfork in the storehouse

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, as hangman of nazis, he did ok. Give credit where credit's due.

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's hang a Nazi

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Falukorv posted:

For me Claudius Gothicus looks most "modern" of the bunch, or the one i could most easily imagine on the street without looking out of place.

Augustus looks a lot like Daniel Craig if Daniel Craig gave himself a bowl cut

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: I just learned the ancient Greeks had no less than five different gods whose only purpose was to gently caress up your pottery.

Here's one

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Peanut President posted:

also why the gently caress wouldn't americans support the IRA? We have a common origin: hating the english

Handshake meme with the Irish, French, Scottish, and Americans

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I knew someone who grew up Anglican who described it as all the elegance and elaborate rituals of Catholicism without all the guilt.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Rod Stewart is really into model trains. Apparently he's spends most of his time on tour for the last 25 years painting tiny trees and other props for his massive decades in the making track.

Even as a young rockstar in The Small Faces days he'd go to model train conventions in disguise.

Another famous R.S. has an odd collecting hobby. Rick Springfield is a huge collector of Star Wars toys and memorabilia.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Many states in the US have marriage license requirements too. The oldest reasons are to ensure you're not too closely related, and also you're not miscegenatin' because racism.

At some point, many states had you take a blood test to screen for syphilis, and Montana still requires women to get a blood test for Rubella before getting a license.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Franz Reichelt, parachute suit inventor. Wanted to create a flight suit replacement for aviators that would double as a parachute.

Got permission to test it by throwing a dummy off the Eiffel Tower, and at the last moment bamboozled the authorities by jumping himself instead. It didn't work.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

They were also planning to invade Britain in river barges and boats made out of concrete

That same hypothetical didn't leave them with enough boats to make one trip, nor even enough life jackets. The solution was that the first wave would leave their life jackets on the beach, and (somebody?) would pack them up and bring them back to the continent to equip the next wave.

Imagine a bunch of infantry pinned down on the beach under machine gun fire, and sergeant Helmut with arms full of life jackets is running around tapping people on the shoulder asking for their life jackets. "Bitte, or I vill get in a lot of trouble. Zee boat captains are very annoyed they are not allowed to leave yet"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

the question is always "if the nazis hadn't done x, y and z impractical things for ideological and propaganda purposes, they may have had better outcomes in actually relevant goals a, b, and c. why did they do x, y and z?" And the answer is always "they were never not going to do x, y and z because they're nazis with a nonsense ideology driving an inherently dysfunctional movement"

AvesPKS posted:

It's been awhile since I took the class but I thought the Germans were early adopters in developing and utilizing bureaucratic methods, at least? With the obvious sinister implications later.

The French and British were probably the early adopters on the continent for those structures of ministries and career civil servants, all based on the Chinese model. The idea being that among the career civil servants, a meritocracy brings the competent people to higher levels of responsibility.
The frequent method in the Nazi era was to "cap the pyramid", taking existing bureaucratic structures and appointing a party-approved administrator to be in charge of the whole thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

*Allied and Soviet propaganda against the Nazis is actually rather peculiarly bipolar about them, like it'll go from super serious to super silly in a way that can give someone whiplash

This is the right way to look at Nazis. Simultaneously a dangerous threat to mankind but also such ridiculous dorks.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

zedprime posted:

You can have my beaver burgers though.

Batman certainly won't

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

The difference between Stalin and Germany was that the Soviets mostly killed their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H14a0B0HMY

So this is what you're up to these days, Mr Spicer

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

"Deutsch" itself comes from a word that means something like "of the people"

Deutschland - Land of the people.
Deutsche Sprache: Language of the people.

And so on.

A lot of names in Native American languages for their own tribe or culture is like this. A lot of the common names we use for tribes are exonyms, either from colonists or in a different native language of the people who first pointed them out to a colonist.

Navajo language word for their people is Diné, and the exonym Navajo that stuck was probably a word from their Pueblo neighbors meaning "the farmers in that valley"
Tohono O'odham is their own word for "desert people", and in pre-20th century sources they're usually referred to as Papago, anglicized from a neighboring O'odham tribe's word meaning "the bean eaters"
Comanche autonym is numunuu, also just "the people", and their exonym Comanche comes from a Ute word meaning "enemy"
One of my favorite Native American autonyms is the one the Pawnee use, chatiks si chatiks, or "men of men" :black101:

The exonyms given by other tribes are often pretty unflattering. "Bean eaters", "enemy", "farmers", and the frequent variations of "people who talk weird" isn't so bad. There are also names like "dog eaters" (Pawnee and Caddoan language name for Arapaho tribe), "throat cutters" (Pawnee, again, for Lakota people), and straight up "cannibals" for Carib (the Arawak were "the good ones").

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

jsoh posted:

there's two lakes and a town in Western Canada called slave lake because the Cree called the people there slaves on account of how they raided and enslaved them all the time

Platystemon posted:

wtf apparently this is true

The word the Cree actually used was awahkaan. This doesn’t sound like “slave”, but that is its literal meaning. Europeans were like “You use the same word for people forced to work in bondage and your northern neighbors? Great idea. We will do the same in our language.”

The French trader word for slave was "pani", from Pawnee. Take so many slaves from one group that they become the generic word for slave, like ziplock bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Weembles posted:

On the "well actually, classical sculpture was all brightly painted" topic, I just learned about a very well preserved example of it:

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1430887215429681161?s=20

That's really cool. I had seen that one before at the British Museum, but didn't know the whole story on it.

Another neat example is from the ancient Iberians, the Lady of Elche statue.

The teeny bit of paint residue helped authenticate it. At the time it was found in the early 20th century, a lot of experts thought it was a modern forgery because it had characteristics they had not before seen in 4th century BC Iberian sculpture.
At the time it was found, it was not known to archaeology that the ancient Iberians had painted their statues. This was learned by subsequent finds, and wouldn't you know, there's microscopic paint residue on The Lady.