Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009

"No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy."

What they mean by that, is this game is big...like really big...like, really really big...
like this game is literally going to have 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets...!
This is no blocky minecraft BS either.

No Man's Sky is a first-person, open universe survival game. Players take the role of a planetary explorer in an uncharted galaxy. They are equipped with a survival spacesuit with a jetpack, a "multitool" which can be used to scan, mine, and collect resources as well as to attack or defend oneself from creatures and other entities while on a planet, and a spacecraft that allows them to land and take-off from planets and travel between them and engage in combat with other space-going vessels.

Core to No Man's Sky is that its virtual galaxy, including the stars, planets, lifeforms, ecosystems, and the behavior of the space-bound factions are all created through random procedural generation using deterministic algorithms. A single seed number is used to create these features via mathematical computation thus eliminating the need to create each of these features by hand. This enables the game to have a massively open nature: Hello Games has estimated that with their 64-bit seed number, their virtual galaxy will include over 18 quintillion planets. Any player will be able to visit a specific planet once they know its galactic coordinates, given their spacecraft has the capability to do so, and find the same features as any other player, as these coordinates serve as the seed for the planet's topography, environment, and flora and fauna. This also enables the game to be played locally offline in addition to online, as there is no server-side storage of the galaxy, with all details being generated on-the-fly as the user plays the game.

Sean Murray of Hello Games gives Stephen a sneak preview of the upcoming “No Man’s Sky.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqeN6hj4dZU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emrys42
Nov 1, 2009
Hello Games has finally announced a release date of June 2016

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/10/27/no-mans-sky-release-date-announced-at-paris-games-week/

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Only two posts? I'm disappointed, goons.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Odette posted:

Only two posts? I'm disappointed, goons.

lmao
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731269

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I absolutely cannot wait for this game to come out, be pretty good, and get torn to shreds because gamers are morons who think videogames are literally magic and can do whatever they want them to, unable to reconcile they had impossibly high expectations that only a child could actually have.

I'm looking forward to that, and also this game

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
This game is terrible. It's an amazing frame with no picture inside of it and it needs.... Something. I bought it under the guise that I would be able to wander around the universe with a friend which, as of right now, isn't possible.

That being said, I think we would just be wandering around the galaxy shooting our do everything laser at random stuff so we could get a better spaceship. So that we can travel farther to see the same things and... get a better spaceship.

Those "moments" the devs talk about are too few and far in between for being a game about those "moments".

Spend your money on something good. like pop tarts.

nazca fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Well a new, huge patch just came out for this game today, and the game is on sale. I don't own the game and I haven't been following news on it, so I was wondering: does anyone have opinions on the new content? Is the game still full of broken promises, or is it really fun now? Is it a good purchase for the sale price ($36)?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The gently caress are you doing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Koldenblue posted:

Well a new, huge patch just came out for this game today, and the game is on sale. I don't own the game and I haven't been following news on it, so I was wondering: does anyone have opinions on the new content? Is the game still full of broken promises, or is it really fun now? Is it a good purchase for the sale price ($36)?

Here are the full patch notes but who knows how much of it is actually ingame and/or functional.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Orv posted:

The gently caress are you doing.

asking a question about the game in the appropriate games thread? Sorry I have followed zero of the drama around this game and I'm legitimately curious what the state of the game is now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

RatHat posted:

Here are the full patch notes but who knows how much of it is actually ingame and/or functional.

Shockingly, as far as I can tell after a few hours, all of it. Base building is in, very versatile (Fallout eat your heart out) and done in a way that actually functions in an "exploration" game, freighters are in, lots of new things to build and new resources. Every chance made seems to work. I haven't played Survival mode but it's apparently much harder.

That said, they need more work on making it worthwhile to explore. More creature and plant variety (it SEEMS like I'm seeing more but I've only been on a handful of post patch planets,) more info about the planets that makes sense (what is this -100 degree liquid I'm swimming in? Can the compositions have gameplay ramifications? That would be huge,) and more work creating quest chains (although the base building mechanism does do this now and decently.)

If you already own the game it's worth another try. If you don't I can't recommend it yet, but keep an eye on it because another 2-3 patches this size and competently pulled off and this could be an actual good game.

Edit: I hope we leave this thread open. The last one was a shitpool because the launch was horrible and a borderline scam, but it would be nice to be able to talk about the game on here now that there are signs of life.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Hmm, good to know. I actually spent a good deal of time building bases in fallout, so that part sounds like a good addition for me. Like I said I don't care to read any of the drama-posting about this game, but I have gotten a general sense that most people recommend against buying it. I suppose I'll keep this one on my wishlist for now and watch for new opinions on new updates.

edit: I've been reading through the steam thread and there are a few impressions there as well, seems like the game is going in the right direction but it still may be a "wait-and-see" kind of thing

Otto Octopus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 28, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Koldenblue posted:

Hmm, good to know. I actually spent a good deal of time building bases in fallout, so that part sounds like a good addition for me. Like I said I don't care to read any of the drama-posting about this game, but I have gotten a general sense that most people recommend against buying it. I suppose I'll keep this one on my wishlist for now and watch for new opinions on new updates.

Yeah it doesn't sound anywhere close to Fallout 4's base building.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone else worried that this game might end up like SPORE?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I heard positive things about this patch and reinstalled the game. I haven't done too much with the base building and still need to acquire everyone, but it feels like this patch just added a crafting complexity treadmill on top of what was there at release. There are a lot more materials to pick up and they appear to only have a few uses and are harder to get (physical harvests using special gloves on planets with a certain type of atmosphere). I have seen a lot more larger/smaller creatures, but I haven't noticed more diversity in parts they are built from, just in the size.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Crafted materials stack now? Between that and being able to store/farm materials at a base it's making the game a lot more appealing to me.

I'm a sucker for the base building type stuff, even if it is just as clumsy as Fallout 4.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Pocket Billiards posted:

Crafted materials stack now? Between that and being able to store/farm materials at a base it's making the game a lot more appealing to me.

I'm a sucker for the base building type stuff, even if it is just as clumsy as Fallout 4.

Rare materials (gravitino balls, etc) stack in ship inventory now too.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Wandered in here from Green Man Gamings Cyber Monday sale. Was surprised to find that at the very bottom of their sale page was NMS for $36. I really did not expect the developer to actually post any update since the average players per hour/day was something like 500 on steam.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, hopefully the player count rebounds so they keep updating it. There's some good stuff in here, and this update was substantial.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
It was a decent update, but did not correct most of the omissions from the release that people were pointing out with all of the SEAN MURRAY LIEEEEEDDDDD videos. In fact, I'm not certain if it corrected any of the omissions. So while it's definitely a move in the right direction, it's not a magic fix by any means. It does at least prove that they didn't flee the country with the money, so that's something, but I'd wait and see if the trend continues with more content in the near future before jumping in.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Valatar posted:

It was a decent update, but did not correct most of the omissions from the release that people were pointing out with all of the SEAN MURRAY LIEEEEEDDDDD videos. In fact, I'm not certain if it corrected any of the omissions. So while it's definitely a move in the right direction, it's not a magic fix by any means. It does at least prove that they didn't flee the country with the money, so that's something, but I'd wait and see if the trend continues with more content in the near future before jumping in.

So this still falls into the "wait until it's $15 or less on Steam" rather than the "oh, it's on sale for $40 on Steam, might as well grab it" category, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Zelmel posted:

So this still falls into the "wait until it's $15 or less on Steam" rather than the "oh, it's on sale for $40 on Steam, might as well grab it" category, right?

Firmly, and I would still only buy it for $15 if the idea of going around to some cool looking planets and seeing some animals that eventually start to look samey sounds like it's worth $15. It's still light on actual "game content" (stuff to actually do) although the patch added a lot, way more than was in the game initially.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Firmly, and I would still only buy it for $15 if the idea of going around to some cool looking planets and seeing some animals that eventually start to look samey sounds like it's worth $15. It's still light on actual "game content" (stuff to actually do) although the patch added a lot, way more than was in the game initially.

amazon has used copies for about 5 bucks, assuming there's no issues with playing a used copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wealthy Aristocrat
Dec 12, 2016
Finally picked this game up as it was really cheap on Amazon. I must say this game has tons of potential but in its current state it is VERY LACKLUSTER. For me, and this goes against the whole premise of the actual game "gently caress it" is that they could have made maybe the universe 1/50th of its current state, allowed players to actually meet each other, have defined trading markets for player interaction, customizable ships, more NPC interactions and not just spam enter/x all the way through. Most hyped game of 2016 with about 2 hours of playability. Feel sorry for those who spent $60 bucks on this and waited a year for it but that's what you get for falling into the hype train.

My 2 cents.

• Locked thread