Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pierson posted:

, it's a cargo-cult version

What does this even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Namtab posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

it means it's superficially similar to japanese fight shows but really just gets by on appealing character stereotypes, light comedy and some flashy action, unlike real anime which

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So he's trying to say it's an homage to anime cliches, but with a term that doesn't apply to tv

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've watched the first season, and the characters never developed beyond stock archetypes. Perhaps that bullying arc with Jaune was an attempt, but that was tedious in its own right. Like, I'm alright with well-executed archetypal stuff, but it felt like the show thought it was good just because it had a Sasuke and an Undertaker*. The fight scenes were nice, but there were about six of them sprinkled across 20-something episodes of anime cliches spouting off at each other. Are these concerns addressed in the second season?

Because as of right now, Xin was better imo.

*I could not tell you who the RWBY-brand Sasuke or Undertaker were, but I'm sure they're in there somewhere.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

That it's aping the external trappings, but not the artistic mechanics of those shows that make 'em work. It grasps that there are cool shows about kung-fu teenagers with strange and improbable weaponry, but doesn't grasp why they're cool. It demands character investment without earning it, and fails to give its fights the proper buildup and gravitas to make them truly exciting. For instance, if we're sticking with shonen examples, people don't just hype Naruto versus Sasuke at the end of part one because it's got neat choreography. They hype it because it's a dramatic, compelling climax to the clash of two friends-turned-rivals. Goku versus Frieza, Luffy versus Lucci, Stein versus Medusa, all of these earn their drama. Here, the whole thing feels kind of hollow, like someone smashing their toys into each other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Peel posted:

it means it's superficially similar to japanese fight shows but really just gets by on appealing character stereotypes, light comedy and some flashy action, unlike real anime which

Yeah, I think its main appeal is that it makes heavy use of that energetic zany/wacky humor that high schoolers really like (or at least pretend to like in order to fit in with their peers). There might be the occasional good joke, but mostly it's just characters being wacky.

Haha, due to Pierson's post I looked up what cargo cult meant (I've always heard it but never understood what it meant) and read about cargo cult programming and cargo cult science. From what I read, I'm basically a cargo cult programmer (a large portion of code I use is borrowed open source stuff I don't really understand).

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah its just a descriptor I thought was appropriate is all. You can see the same thing in a thousand low-rent manga-inspired webcomics. I'm not saying dumb poo poo like "REAL anime would never gently caress up like this" or even "stereotypical characters are always bad". It just feels duct-taped together from the parts of other series.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The bow is too thin to realistically hide a pair of cat ears.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Accept it thread. RWBY is the real face of anime.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rwby is real bad

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I mean it's made by RoosterTeeth, so no surprise there.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
How does everyone pronounce this show anyway. I've been going rrrrrrrrrubby-yuh.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pavlov posted:

How does everyone pronounce this show anyway. I've been going rrrrrrrrrubby-yuh.

ruby

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Davincie posted:

take it to tviv

but it's not a tee vee show. Although I guess it's a movie now in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-CdE1k9U2s

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I like mine better

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Dumb.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i pronounce it rwby

dunno what that sounds like cause i've never said it out loud and i never will

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I haven't seen this show but there is no way it is as bad as the posts in this thread.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

littleorv posted:

I haven't seen this show but there is no way it is as bad as the posts in this thread.

it's a guilty pleasure.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

littleorv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnmsDbU4xE

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
RWBY is bad but repetitive hateposting is worse.

I permit this thread's continued existence in VEGETA and advise those who dislike it to continue to do so, but in a substantive manner.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

RWBY is bad but repetitive hateposting is worse.

I permit this thread's continued existence in VEGETA and advise those who dislike it to continue to do so, but in a substantive manner.

who's your favorite rwby girl

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

R

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

y

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

No idea who any of them are so my default pick is the one with short hair.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

The cute one

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

No idea who any of them are so my default pick is the one with short hair.

littleorv posted:

The cute one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's western trash unfortunately.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012