Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

The maidens are explicitly female so ???

Apparently female and male characters in rwby tend to have different eye types and the farmer kid has the feminine eye type so the thought is (because dumb anime tropes) "Girl posing as boy for -reasons-"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The one I heard was that he's something to do with Ozpin being missing, as they apparently have the exact same eyes and facial structure. I don't know how accurate or likely that is but still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Giggling evil dude had some surprisingly good, expressive crazyface by this show's standards.

The way they got out of their little voice actor problem with Cinder was pretty amusing, too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Finally, the first episode is on YouTube.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Some random thoughts from ep. 1

The animation is so much better already, god drat.

Laughing my rear end off over what happened to Cinder. (I still miss Torchwick though. His VA's rampant scenery chewing was the best part of this show.) Some quality schadenfreude.

The farmer minute may have been the most pointless thing ever on a series that excels at randomly introducing new characters and expecting you to give a poo poo.

That was a really good fight scene, and that rock monster/geist was a really cool design. Ruby is the worst character on team RNJR. Digging all the character redesigns though.

Oh hey we're finally going to meet Weiss's dad. Thank god we're not going straight into Blake and Yang's emo-fest right off the bat. Overall, cautiously optimistic over how things have been improving.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

well the animation is a hell of a lot better. I'm glad they're out of the school setting.

show will probably still be bad though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You say that like you were expecting anything else.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well at least laughing guy is having a good time. The art definitely looks a lot better, the openings are still dumb, but this will be the day we've waited for.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hate hearing Sabat's voice in this at all. The Cinder stuff was funny. I uhhh, don't really have much to say about anything else except Ruby and Nora's spinning together was actually a really cool effect and the design on the Grimm Phantom was cool.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I hate hearing Sabat's voice in this at all. The Cinder stuff was funny. I uhhh, don't really have much to say about anything else except Ruby and Nora's spinning together was actually a really cool effect and the design on the Grimm Phantom was cool.

Can't believe you watched it ahead of the synchtube

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't know we were doing the synchtube soon, namtab. Last time I waited for you on a synch, I was waiting four months to watch four episodes of Volume 3

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Don't worry nambtab, there's no way I could have stood watching this thing outside of synchtube.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I didn't know we were doing the synchtube soon, namtab. Last time I waited for you on a synch, I was waiting four months to watch four episodes of Volume 3

I'm gonna do it either tomorrow or next weekend depending on whether or not you and Pavlov can do tomorrow

E: also we never finished season 3 so there's two eps of that to go also.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 30, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I guess I could do it tomorrow. How long is this again?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could do it tomorrow

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I guess 9pm gmt tomorrow. Clocks just went back so it's 2.09 right now for reference

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

An hour twenty remains

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://synchtu.be/r/hype_animes

Ten minutes remain!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Giggling evil dude had some surprisingly good, expressive crazyface by this show's standards.

The way they got out of their little voice actor problem with Cinder was pretty amusing, too.

What problem is that? I didn't hear

Also episode 2 was meh...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What problem is that? I didn't hear

Also episode 2 was meh...

Just that they'd picked an especially bad, inexpressive voice actor for their main villain. That's... ahh... no longer such an issue.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Her voice was fine but now it looks like they actually want her to have a personality this season

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think it's more due to how her voice actor is incredibly busy and hard to book.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I (sort of) loving called it:

Regalingualius posted:

Eh, I'm calling decent odds that the next season will have a scene where Jean has a heart to heart with Pyrrha's ghost (because magic) where he admits he still hasn't gotten over it, is going on the mission for revenge, etc.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I (sort of) loving called it:

Nah

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

But still possible/likely

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

She's been melted down to slag in order to become the worst characters new sword

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Next RWBY stream sunday sometime, expect more of season 4, some chibi

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I was hoping for a RWBY episode today :(

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was hoping for a RWBY episode today :(

Get wrecked, this week is world of remnant

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like listening to Miles and Kerry talk about the behind the scenes for RWBY, they're super relatable in how they're "Nerds who got to make their own anime." They're basically us.

The new shadowing is the most noticeable improvement as well as what I suppose is their new mocap equipment, a lot of smaller movements now that weren't there I feel last season.

I like how Salem is basically Evil Cortana from Halo 5.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

How awful was Evil Cortana, for those of us who gave up on the series after 4?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was told that the worst character's name is juane arc. as in joan of arc.

Owns

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Namtab posted:

I was told that the worst character's name is juane arc. as in joan of arc.

Owns

Supposedly all of JNPR is gender flipped historical/mythological figures that cross dressed at some point. For... some reason. Jaune is Joan of Arc, Nora is Thor who dressed as a woman to fool some frost giants once, Pyrrha is Achillies who I don't remember cross dressing but who knows, and Ren is Mulan which seems the most tenuous. Ren is still like the only major character except Jaune without a semblance though so maybe it'll make sense when that's revealed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not really a "supposedly", some RT people talked about it. But yeah they really stretched for a lot of the characters names and such.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Supposedly all of JNPR is gender flipped historical/mythological figures that cross dressed at some point. For... some reason. Jaune is Joan of Arc, Nora is Thor who dressed as a woman to fool some frost giants once, Pyrrha is Achillies who I don't remember cross dressing but who knows, and Ren is Mulan which seems the most tenuous. Ren is still like the only major character except Jaune without a semblance though so maybe it'll make sense when that's revealed.

The more you know.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not really a "supposedly", some RT people talked about it. But yeah they really stretched for a lot of the characters names and such.

Nothing about RWBY has an actual connection to mythology or folk lore beyond "hey this happened, it was cool, lets name/design a character as a shout out to that thing and pick a colour for it." I don't think it's really stretched but is just conservation of detail brought to its logical conclusion.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nothing about RWBY has an actual connection to mythology or folk lore beyond "hey this happened, it was cool, lets name/design a character as a shout out to that thing and pick a colour for it." I don't think it's really stretched but is just conservation of detail brought to its logical conclusion.

I specifically called out Ren because the other three are much more "oh I can see that". Jaune uses a European sword and shield and his armour is believable as at least based on a French knight. Pyrrha's armour, shield, and javelin all look appropriately ancient Greek. Nora has a hammer and lightning based powers. Meanwhile Ren's outfit looks nothing like traditional Chinese army armour and he uses some kind of dual wielding sickle things rather than a Chinese sword. I get that Mulan is harder to pin down unless you're just using the Disney version but it seems like the supposed link to Mulan didn't inform his design in the slightest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raenir Salazar posted:

To be fair, that's pretty accurate to most battle manga aimed at a teenage demographic that borrows anything from mythology or culture.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I specifically called out Ren because the other three are much more "oh I can see that". Jaune uses a European sword and shield and his armour is believable as at least based on a French knight. Pyrrha's armour, shield, and javelin all look appropriately ancient Greek. Nora has a hammer and lightning based powers. Meanwhile Ren's outfit looks nothing like traditional Chinese army armour and he uses some kind of dual wielding sickle things rather than a Chinese sword. I get that Mulan is harder to pin down unless you're just using the Disney version but it seems like the supposed link to Mulan didn't inform his design in the slightest.

Aha, well, Sickles are also used in Chinese martial arts based on some googling, but my guess is Monty really wanted someone to fight dual wielding submachine gun sickles.

quote:

To be fair, that's pretty accurate to most battle manga aimed at a teenage demographic that borrows anything from mythology or culture.

Agreed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Covok posted:

Not even just battle manga, look at Evangelion.

• Locked thread