Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

i expected you to just post all the girls in response to littleorv's answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

who's your favorite rwby girl

The scorpion from season one. It's the only character I sympathize with or care about.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

The scorpion from season one. It's the only character I sympathize with or care about.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I'm serious. If you want to establish the scary looking wildlife as credible villains/threats to the safety of the world, show them actually doing hurtful poo poo from the outset. Otherwise, your heroes are just beating the poo poo out of wildlife, and they look like assholes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BattleCattle posted:

What about the bird? Or, I think there were bears as well?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What about the bird? Or, I think there were bears as well?

The bird's okay, but it didn't have to deal with... Jean? Jaune? John? Whatever.

E.And yeah, there's bears with bits glued to them. The show calls them "ursas", because of course they loving do.

E2.

Monty Oum, 2:14 PM - 30 Nov 2013 posted:

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 7, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pavlov posted:

How does everyone pronounce this show anyway. I've been going rrrrrrrrrubby-yuh.

err-wibby

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Only watched the first season, how densely packed is the second RWBY season with action set pieces?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Only watched the first season, how densely packed is the second RWBY season with action set pieces?
there's a train fight at the end

that's it

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

ouch

Were there at least improvements in character interaction?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

ouch

Were there at least improvements in character interaction?
50% of the season is jaune being creepy towards weiss, and then the narrative taking the 'you should give him a pity date' stance

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

double ouch

The bullying miniplot with Jaune in the first season was bad enough.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

there's a train fight at the end

that's it

Christ, really?

Let's face it, the only good or interesting parts of the show are the fight scenes. We know it, and the creators know it. Why would they focus on anything else, and why would anyone want to watch it?

They're banking loving hard on the deviantart demographic.

Level Slide posted:

double ouch

The bullying miniplot with Jaune in the first season was bad enough.

I was willing to give the show a fair shot at first. They lost me at the suicide joke.

Endorph posted:

50% of the season is jaune being creepy towards weiss, and then the narrative taking the 'you should give him a pity date' stance

So, that just reminded me of something. Did you know that Miles Luna, Jaune's voice actor, is the main writer now that Monty's dead? So the reason it focuses so much on the twerp, and how the narrative bends so he can get with Weiss? Skeevy self insert fantasy.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 7, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I dunno if RWBY can rely on fan support, and also write Jaune into everything. Something's gotta give in that scenario.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

who's your favorite rwby girl

yellow/black

Space Flower posted:

I dunno if RWBY can rely on fan support, and also write Jaune into everything. Something's gotta give in that scenario.

considering it's performance in Japan RWBY is more popular than it's ever been before.

also Volume 3 so far has had tons of fight scenes.

BattleCattle posted:

Christ, really?

Let's face it, the only good or interesting parts of the show are the fight scenes. We know it, and the creators know it. Why would they focus on anything else, and why would anyone want to watch it?

They're banking loving hard on the deviantart demographic.

Tumblr and 4chan demo is more the speed they are shooting for really.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I highly doubt even the Japanese would like Jaune, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BattleCattle posted:

E2. a big quote by Monty
I unironically love Monty Oum, the dude knew the life he wanted and pursued it 100% and for a short few years he made it and lived his dream. No matter how much I find RWBY deeply average he was a super-nice dude and I wish he'd gotten to keep making things and getting better. He had a gift for tapping into a demographic and it's such a loving shame he isn't getting to see the country he drew inspiration from love his work. :(

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pierson posted:

I unironically love Monty Oum, the dude knew the life he wanted and pursued it 100% and for a short few years he made it and lived his dream. No matter how much I find RWBY deeply average he was a super-nice dude and I wish he'd gotten to keep making things and getting better. He had a gift for tapping into a demographic and it's such a loving shame he isn't getting to see the country he drew inspiration from love his work. :(

He was a nice guy. Most people at RoosterTeeth are. I'm not maligning them personally. If it's any solace, Japan loved this poo poo from the words "Red Trailer", and to be honest, so did I. I just wish they hired a production director with a bar set higher than the ground, or for that matter, an actual loving writer.

From the outset, it looked loving cool, and if it didn't trip over basic poo poo, like taking the time to polish the out-of-combat animation, opening up a book to find out what comedic timing is, or not being loving creepy, I'd probably still think it's at least average.

E. Look at the hands.

That's what happens when you map the model's skeleton to the mocap incorrectly, and don't care enough to fix it.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 7, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Level Slide posted:

I highly doubt even the Japanese would like Jaune, though.

He's the third most popular character in Japan behind Yang and Phyrra.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well that proves me wrong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Not honestly a surprise. Guy may be a transparent author insert, but he's also a transparent audience insert. See also, the legion of milquetoast, weedy-but-secretly-awesome shonen/harem protagonists he borrows from.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

BattleCattle posted:

if it didn't trip over basic poo poo, like taking the time to polish the out-of-combat animation, opening up a book to find out what comedic timing is, or not being loving creepy

Then it wouldn't have been true to it's anime roots.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
PS: Monty Oum's signature is an emoji.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pavlov posted:

Then it wouldn't have been true to it's anime roots.

Oh, you're one of those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Oh, you're one of those.

To be perfectly fair, the giant shonen manga adaptations RWBY draws much of its influence from do tend to have problems with the first two. Ginormous hundred-episode behemoths do have lots of butt animation, particularly outside the action sequences that are the main draw, because working on such a massive project at a high standard for so long would literally murder the animators, and it's hard to translate comic timing (or pacing in general) from manga to anime. Remember all the jokes about DBZ characters taking thirty episodes to change a lightbulb? This is yet another reason why you shouldn't just cargo-cult your favourite shows, and should spend time learning about the actual artistic craft that makes a story work.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Oh, you're one of those.

Hi nice to meet you.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

This is yet another reason why you shouldn't just cargo-cult your favourite shows, and should spend time learning about the actual artistic craft that makes a story work.

The problems in those behemoths are usually workflow related. Creatively, they at least have enough respect for their project to iron out as many flaws as is humanly possible before it airs. The animation can be terrible sometimes, but there's a reason for it, and they at least try to make it charming or interesting in other areas. They had to make sacrifices to account for a timetable, or manpower, or supply, or executive fuckery, and their hard work in the face of adversity is almost heroic, whether or not the end result turns out to be a pile of poo poo.

RWBY doesn't have those excuses. The episodes are rarely over 10 minutes long, take a week to produce, and more often than not, don't have anything resembling action. The animation team has all the time in the world to rewatch their product and make adjustments where necessary. They just don't. They're emulating the sacrifice inherent in those larger shows, but they aren't suffering under the same kind of workload, so it just ends up looking like laziness. You need to have enough respect for your product to make it as good as you possibly can. They lack that conviction, and RWBY suffers for it.

Pavlov posted:

Hi nice to meet you.

Howdy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

To be perfectly fair, the giant shonen manga adaptations RWBY draws much of its influence from do tend to have problems with the first two. Ginormous hundred-episode behemoths do have lots of butt animation, particularly outside the action sequences that are the main draw, because working on such a massive project at a high standard for so long would literally murder the animators, and it's hard to translate comic timing (or pacing in general) from manga to anime. Remember all the jokes about DBZ characters taking thirty episodes to change a lightbulb? This is yet another reason why you shouldn't just cargo-cult your favourite shows, and should spend time learning about the actual artistic craft that makes a story work.

To be fair, rwby isn't an adaption of an ongoing thing, it's an original work and they have the time to take the care to get things right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

The problems in those behemoths are usually workflow related. Creatively, they at least have enough respect for their project to iron out as many flaws as is humanly possible before it airs. The animation can be terrible sometimes, but there's a reason for it, and they at least try to make it charming or interesting in other areas. They had to make sacrifices to account for a timetable, or manpower, or supply, or executive fuckery, and their hard work in the face of adversity is almost heroic, whether or not the end result turns out to be a pile of poo poo.

RWBY doesn't have those excuses. The episodes are rarely over 10 minutes long, take a week to produce, and more often than not, don't have anything resembling action. The animation team has all the time in the world to rewatch their product and make adjustments where necessary. They just don't. They're emulating the sacrifice inherent in those larger shows, but they aren't suffering under the same kind of workload, so it just ends up looking like laziness. You need to have enough respect for your product to make it as good as you possibly can. They lack that conviction, and RWBY suffers for it.

Howdy.

I dunno, RWBY feels very much like a labour of love, which suggests to me that many of its flaws are a consequence of the creators going 'these shows are good, and these things happen in these shows, therefore they are good and we should include them ourselves'. You see it a lot in fanfics, webcomics, and other forms of amateur fiction.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The RWBY apologist

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, RWBY feels very much like a labour of love, which suggests to me that many of its flaws are a consequence of the creators going 'these shows are good, and these things happen in these shows, therefore they are good and we should include them ourselves'. You see it a lot in fanfics, webcomics, and other forms of amateur fiction.

If it were a labor of love, they would understand why they love it. They don't have that kind of self awareness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

The RWBY apologist

I don't think it's apologist to look at different reasons for a work being bad. I mean, we might as well get some discussion out of this thread, and looking at the craft of fiction and how and why RWBY fails at it is as potentially fruitful a topic as any.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

If it were a labor of love, they would understand why they love it. They don't have that kind of self awareness.

Never heard of enthusiasm outstripping competence before? It's a pretty omnipresent phenomenon. Person sees cool thing, wants to do cool thing, trips up over themselves because they didn't read the (literal or metaphorical) manual first. Pretty much 90% of fanfic is like that.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Never heard of enthusiasm outstripping competence before? It's a pretty omnipresent phenomenon. Person sees cool thing, wants to do cool thing, trips up over themselves because they didn't read the (literal or metaphorical) manual first. Pretty much 90% of fanfic is like that.

Welcome to my thesis: "Why they should have hired an actual loving writer".

E. Out of context with the rest of the show, the Red trailer looks really good. Should probably put it in the OP.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 7, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

Welcome to my thesis: "Why they should have hired an actual loving writer".

E. Out of context with the rest of the show, the Red trailer looks really good. Should probably put it in the OP.

Or actual loving animators, voice actors, character/set designers, musicians...

Personally, I'm slightly glad they didn't do all of the above, though. It likely stil wouldn't have turned out good, and this way it's at least interestingly bad.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Or actual loving animators, voice actors, character/set designers, musicians...

Personally, I'm slightly glad they didn't do all of the above, though. It likely stil wouldn't have turned out good, and this way it's at least interestingly bad.

It isn't interestingly bad. It's a chore to watch, and I'll never get the loving theme out of my head.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If it's a chore to watch, don't watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm 3 mins into episode 1

- About half this time was exposition, because why have worldbuilding occur naturally through conversation
- Orange haired guy robs a shop; shopkeeper says "please take my yen and leave" because the thing written by white people in america has to hit maximum weeb.
- Guy draws his sword upon seeing a girl in a red hood. She's gonna give herself tinnitus playing her rock music this loud

It's dumb, I'll probably watch all of it

• Locked thread